PDA

View Full Version : Best current NBA writer

hotpotato1092
01-29-2009, 02:58 AM
Who is the best NBA writer currently? It doesn't have to be a writer who writes exclusively about basketball, but someone who's just a great basketball writer. I'm sick of ESPNs biased and unknowledgable writers. 99% of them suck. The one that I do like is Bill Simmons, and he's the biggest homer EVER. He's still a really good writer. Basically I'm trying to find good NBA columns because I'm sick of the crap ESPN gives.

oldenpolynice
01-29-2009, 03:05 AM
I really like J.A. Adande at ESPN.com. He does a good job. The writers at SLAM online generally write good stuff. I'm down with the NBA writers at SI.com, too. Chris Mannix and Ian Thomsen. Howard Beck at the New York Times has always been a favorite of mine.

As long as you stay away from Chad Ford, you're doing alright. :D

codes238
01-29-2009, 03:08 AM
love him or hate him you have to go with bill simmons... he's often extremely funny and i think he knows ball better than any of the other guys out there...

oldenpolynice
01-29-2009, 03:17 AM
love him or hate him you have to go with bill simmons... he's often extremely funny and i think he knows ball better than any of the other guys out there...

It kind of goes without saying, but Simmons is my favorite too. I only left him off my list because the OP mentioned him already.

Draco
01-29-2009, 03:21 AM
I think Simmons is horrible both as a writer or an analyst. Kerr was good when he was with Yahoo sports. I find the best writers to be those who worked in the NBA in some capacity. I like Charley Rosen as an analyst. Sam Smith (minus his speculations) is good for reporting what's going on around the NBA. KC Johnson is a good Bull's beatwriter. J.A. Adande is a solid writer. Chad Ford is good for interviewing but he has zero insight into the game.

codes238
01-29-2009, 03:32 AM
I think Simmons is horrible both as a writer or an analyst. Kerr was good when he was with Yahoo sports. I find the best writers to be those who worked in the NBA in some capacity. I like Charley Rosen as an analyst. Sam Smith (minus his speculations) is good for reporting what's going on around the NBA. KC Johnson is a good Bull's beatwriter. J.A. Adande is a solid writer. Chad Ford is good for interviewing but he has zero insight into the game.

yea chad ford still thinks that trading devin harris and 2 first round picks for jason kidd's corpse was a good idea... im surprised you say that about simmons considering the guy knows more about the NBA than 99% of the other writers out there...

Wilson
01-29-2009, 03:43 AM
Apart from when he's talking about Boston or the Lakers, I quite like Bill Simmons. His analysis isn't the best, but he's a funny guy :up:

As long as you're staying away from John Hollinger, you're doing alright :up:

ertanozgur
01-29-2009, 04:03 AM
Who is the best NBA writer currently? It doesn't have to be a writer who writes exclusively about basketball, but someone who's just a great basketball writer. I'm sick of ESPNs biased and unknowledgable writers. 99% of them suck. The one that I do like is Bill Simmons, and he's the biggest homer EVER. He's still a really good writer. Basically I'm trying to find good NBA columns because I'm sick of the crap ESPN gives.

it is Kaan KURAL from Turkey :)

Lakersfan2483
01-29-2009, 04:09 AM
J.A. Adande, Mark Heisler, Charley Rosen

Lakersfan2483
01-29-2009, 04:12 AM
Apart from when he's talking about Boston or the Lakers, I quite like Bill Simmons. His analysis isn't the best, but he's a funny guy :up:

As long as you're staying away from John Hollinger, you're doing alright :up:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Hellcrooner
01-29-2009, 04:13 AM
Ufff, thats difficult Espn crew is really Biased, Specially Simmons and HOllinger.

Thorpe is somehow Passable.

JayW_1023
01-29-2009, 08:34 AM
I'll go with Rosen. He may be a grumpy old man, but he always gives the most detailed analysis of in-game situations and refuses to go with stat-gimmicks like Hollinger does. He may be harsh at times, but at least he has the balls to see players for what they are and not playing the hype game.

mfb_lt1birdman
01-29-2009, 08:42 AM
I miss David Dupree from USA today. He was my favorite by far.

HOZ THE KNICK
01-29-2009, 08:43 AM
stephen a smith blog he talk real **** and not made up rumors that have no legs.

EAGLES3658
01-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Gilbert Arenas.

t mac and reed
01-29-2009, 10:31 AM
t mac

DreamShaker
01-29-2009, 10:48 AM
I like David Thorpe:shrug:

lakers4sho
01-29-2009, 10:55 AM
J.A. Adande

Sox Appeal
01-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Ufff, thats difficult Espn crew is really Biased, Specially Simmons and HOllinger.

Thorpe is somehow Passable.

I'm not sure how you could call Simmons biased when it comes to basketball. Read some of the stuff that he writes, or even go back to his pre-season predictions, he doesn't have the Celtics winning the East, if he was "really biased" I'm sure he would.

HOLLyWOOdHiTMan
01-29-2009, 06:40 PM
who gives a **** about writers!

Ballah0liC1
01-29-2009, 06:42 PM
who gives a **** about writers!

yeah seriously, they are all biased in there own way

oldenpolynice
01-29-2009, 07:20 PM
I really like J.A. Adande at ESPN.com. He does a good job. The writers at SLAM online generally write good stuff. I'm down with the NBA writers at SI.com, too. Chris Mannix and Ian Thomsen. Howard Beck at the New York Times has always been a favorite of mine.

As long as you stay away from Chad Ford, you're doing alright. :D

...oh yeah, stay away from Peter Vescey's garbage, too. So many unsubstantiated rumours in his columns...

Wake's Fastball
01-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Simmons is terrific. He's a huge Boston fan, but he fully admits to it, and its not like he stands by stupid viewpoints like 99% of the basketball writing population.