PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Jose Tabata?

Wanderluster87
01-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Did we get the best of the Yankees in this trade? Tabata was one of the Yankees best prospects but we got him when his stock was temporarily low. He had a .964 OPS for us when he was promoted to AA for the first time in his career and Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte both flopped after they were traded.

What do you think? Did we get the best of Goliath here?

burgh_fan66
01-29-2009, 12:17 AM
I think we did and I thought that at the time to. The Bay trade I was and am completely against. There is no way Bay should have been traded if a high pitching prospect wasnt involved.

I look at it this way for an injury plagued OF having a career year and a RP only signed to the end of the year the Pirates got a high rated OF prospect and three players to help fill out the 4-8 spots in the rotation (maybe more in McCutchen) (by the way i know there are only 5 spots but no team only uses five starters in a year)

Tragedy
01-29-2009, 12:18 AM
It was a good trade at the time, and still is now. The upside of a guy like Tabata is worth two guys that did not project as long term solutions for the Pirates.

It'll be interesting to see if Jose can ever make it in the bigs.

Maz60
01-29-2009, 03:58 PM
It was a good trade at the time, and still is now. The upside of a guy like Tabata is worth two guys that did not project as long term solutions for the Pirates.

Absolutely right, and that upside is considerable. You only get away with something like this when you deal with a team like the Yankees, who cant see past the next 10 minutes.

pittspens71
01-29-2009, 04:52 PM
pirates won that trade

Highcheese4U
01-29-2009, 10:36 PM
I thought it was a good trade as well. If you go by what we've done in the past-it could have turned out so much worse.. and history soo could have repeated itself here but I thought we got a pretty good package for Marte/Nady.. the yanks are hurting in the system right now falling way back on prospects which is why they have to go out listen to offers on Nady/Swisher now...

tooch
02-02-2009, 12:31 PM
he should have a bright future

jcphik
02-02-2009, 07:25 PM
x2. Tabata will be great for you guys in a couple years.

Sprtsfan500
02-03-2009, 05:56 PM
he has good potential but keep in mind the Pirates are notorious for ruining good minor league players.. See half the major league roster for examples. The other half are ones that were talented enough not to become ruined until the major league staff ruined them, or are damaged goods from other organizations.

DieHardColtsfan
03-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Pirates Prospect To Have MRI

By Ben Jones [March 2 at 6:11pm CST]

Highly-touted prospect Jose Tabata will have an MRI done on his right shoulder Tuesday after alerting the Pittsburgh Pirates' medical staff to some recent soreness, Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports.

General manager Neal Huntington told Langosch that the team's medical staff does not believe there is reason for serious concern. The MRI should help identify to doctors what is causing the outfielder discomfort.

Tabata was the marquee piece in last summer's trade that sent Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte to the New York Yankees. He quickly became one of the Pirates' top prospects and has already drawn unsolicited praise from manager John Russell this spring.

Tabata, 20, is 0-for-3 with three walks this spring.

Hold your breathe.

MooseWithFleas
03-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Apparently, the Pirates couldn't wait until Tuesday. Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review found out from Huntington that Tabata had the MRI today and everything looks fine.

"He does have some mild rotator cuff inflammation, but is able to return to activities as (the pain is) tolerated."

mlbtraderumors

Sounds like its nothing serious, but best to take it slow and safe

Jimmy Shine
03-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Just another spring ding.

sep11ie
03-04-2009, 03:32 PM
he has good potential but keep in mind the Pirates are notorious for ruining good minor league players.. See half the major league roster for examples. The other half are ones that were talented enough not to become ruined until the major league staff ruined them, or are damaged goods from other organizations.

Thats stupid. What percentage of minor leaguers actually make it to be stars. Just because the roster is loaded with high draft picks, that doesn't mean they were destined to be stars.

dashripdot
03-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Absolutely right, and that upside is considerable. You only get away with something like this when you deal with a team like the Yankees, who cant see past the next 10 minutes.

Or do you mean a team like the Pirates, which has no foresight because it is too scared to pay another year on a paltry contract like Bay's in order to force trade partners to pony up with a better return? Other teams know they have the Pirates over a barrel in trade talks because the organization has no backbone, balls or brains when it comes to spending money. At the trade deadline the Pirates will always fold faster than Superman on laundry day, and the other teams know it and exploit it.

catch212
03-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Thats stupid. What percentage of minor leaguers actually make it to be stars. Just because the roster is loaded with high draft picks, that doesn't mean they were destined to be stars.

It means poor scouting and development.

cre0530
03-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Tabata has all the tools to be a star, The most impressive is that gun for an arm. Look for him to eventually be among the leaders in the league for outfield assists.

nickster16301
03-18-2009, 12:35 AM
His arm is impressive but not as nearly as impressive as his bat. I watched this guy last night against the rays and he was down 1-2 in the count and i was sure he was going to try to over swing and eventually strike out or hit a weak ground ball, but instead he took it the other way for a double, thats something you see from ten year vets, and this guy is only 20! if we can get some prospects that can pitch alongside with tabata alvarez and mccutchean oh and throw in neil walker to that mix and you might have a team that can win many many games

MooseWithFleas
03-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Tabata was just sent down to Double-A Altoona, which was expected. It was good to see him get spend some time with the big league ball club, even if he didn't get any live experience against big league talent. Kid is only 20 and he's got a high ceiling.

cre0530
03-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Tabata sure doesn't look like a 20 yr old kid with a history of attitude problems. His maturity and poise at the plate and in the field shows he'll be soon ready but I don't see the pirates calling him up until sept so his major league clock doesn't start to soon.

MooseWithFleas
04-01-2009, 01:50 PM
His wife is crazy