PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Abreu Lowers Expectations

iam brett favre
01-28-2009, 02:36 AM
According to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick, free agent outfielder Bobby Abreu has lowered his expectations to the three-year, $10-11MM range of Raul Ibanez and Milton Bradley.

The Dodgers, Reds, or Braves could get in on Abreu, but I imagine they'd still balk at the price.

-MLBTR.com

Matt-the-great
01-28-2009, 05:22 AM
someone needs to pick him up....i mean he still has strong hitting ability....i think he could hit 2nd, 6th, 7th for most teams out there....

i think in the NL he could hit: (.285/.360/.470) which is solid.

TheShock45
01-28-2009, 06:45 AM
hahahaha he lowered his expectations to 3 yrs 10 mill a yr thats great
im am truly behind abreu's offensive ability but the rest is just a problem he doesnt have the greatest team chemistry even tho he's a fun loving guy and he just doesnt give 100% defensively

i know they dont really need him but his offensive skills have oakland written all over them probly 2 years 15 million

that being if they want to risk a 1B/RF/DH platoon (all three would play almost all the time just not the same postition) of jack cust, jason giambi, bobby abreu it could really work out the way they like to play baseball

mnrlgry
01-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Those are lowered expectations? How old is the guy?? 35 or so?

bartoron
01-28-2009, 08:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vNk_j3Z18A

jcphik
01-28-2009, 08:46 AM
I hope he gets a job, he was good in NY and I would love to see him get to play somewhere. He is a solid hittter who can hit for a .300AVG.

redsoxboi
01-28-2009, 08:54 AM
funny video. but i think he needs to lower a little bit more. and less years. i think he's got 2 years left in the tank not three

Testaverde16
01-28-2009, 09:12 AM
I hope the Mets sign this guy, he should look to sign an incentive deal, all these guys should.

MooseWithFleas
01-28-2009, 09:33 AM
The problem is, you need to look at the teams who are in need of a declining corner OF who has another 2 solid years left in him, and maybe a couple of more serviceable years. Almost all of those teams are small market. The exceptions would be the Mets (who I think are satisfied with Murphy), the Giants/Dodgers (whoever misses out on Manny), and the Braves (Where Adam Dunn should be cheaper and makes a lot more sense). The rest of the big market teams seem set with corner outfielders. In terms of small market teams, none really have 10-12 million to spare. If Abreu were to come down to 6-8 mil, they might look in at a deal.

My guess though is that Abreu gets lucky and signs with the Giants after they miss out on Manny for 2 years 20-22 mil

futureheisman
01-28-2009, 10:07 AM
This could be a great pickup for any team. He is lowering his demands to 3 years 33 Mill. What were his demands before a 4 year deal or a 5 year deal?? I think he was stupid for looking for that kind of deal.

Gunzito22
01-28-2009, 10:22 AM
This could be a great pickup for any team. He is lowering his demands to 3 years 33 Mill. What were his demands before a 4 year deal or a 5 year deal?? I think he was stupid for looking for that kind of deal.

Abreu's "demand" was $16M per (no cut in salary), much like Pettitte's "demand" was... and you see how well that worked out for him...

Abreu is still a talented hitter and an OBP machine... what has killed him is his wall and warning track phobia... and the market has bottomed out on older guys (Burrell, Giambi, Bradley)

I see Abreu landing for no more than Burrell money to be honest ($8M) on a two year deal...

MooseWithFleas
01-28-2009, 10:35 AM
In that case, take a look at the Reds to make a move

EAGLES3658
01-28-2009, 10:54 AM
someone needs to pick him up....i mean he still has strong hitting ability....i think he could hit 2nd, 6th, 7th for most teams out there....

i think in the NL he could hit: (.285/.360/.470) which is solid.

He hit .296 last year in the AL East. If he plays in the NL West with the Dodgers, I see him hitting at least .300

HOZ THE KNICK
01-28-2009, 11:00 AM
the mets is a perfect marriage for him

uwish1127
01-28-2009, 11:13 AM
He was a good Yankee, obviously his price is a bit much for his age. However I am not sad on his loss, He will end up with the braves or mets I feel

1908_Cubs
01-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Yeah, thats because everyone noticed his SLGing disappeared when he didn't have the short porch in RF of Yankee stadium, he's one of the worst fielders in the league and he's getting older.

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole right now.

dodgersuck
01-28-2009, 04:16 PM
I would like to land with the giants if he can play first

Run Gardner Run
01-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Dont forget the team that picks him up also doesnt have to sacrifice any draft picks

Adalbjorg
01-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Bobby Abreu lowers expectations... will now date women in their 40's.

MooseWithFleas
01-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Bobby Abreu lowers expectations... will now refuse to go on the warning track, rather than just against the wall

Highcheese4U
01-28-2009, 05:29 PM
You guys all make wise-cracks on Bobby Abreu but the fact is you're not any better...

The team that signs Bobby will benefit as he still produces and still is a fine hitter! His defensive skills are already known but he isn't as bad as people make it seem- just watch! He was good while with us in NYY.. he will be good once again whereever he goes...

I wish nothing but the best for Abreu- whoever he signs with in '09!

Maine's the man
01-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Abreu sucks

That being said, I think that he best fits as a number 2 hitter. The biggest reason that I dont like him on the mets is that we would have to move Church to LF, not that big of a deal. I dont like moving Church though for a horrible and scared defender that will cost more than Dunn. For this to make sense Abreu would have to be much better than Murphy. In reality I think they about the same player right now. Both very patient at the plate. limited power, bad defense. Abreu might be a little more dependable since its only murphy's 2nd year. But he also costs 7-10 M more!!

I also cant see the Giants picking him up... they have said they are not in the market for an OFer. Only Manny because he is such a superior batsman.

Also, I dont understand the logic behind Abreu's number being any better in the NL west. They are a weak division but have fairly good pitching and absolutely no one to protect Abreu unless he follows Manny, which again makes no sense.

Matchstckman
01-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, thats because everyone noticed his SLGing disappeared when he didn't have the short porch in RF of Yankee stadium, he's one of the worst fielders in the league and he's getting older.

I WOULD!

But I wouldn't sign him.

MooseWithFleas
01-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Same. Abreu deserves a nice harsh poking with a pole after the years of torture I had to go through watching his defense

Seamhead
01-28-2009, 08:23 PM
You guys all make wise-cracks on Bobby Abreu but the fact is you're not any better...

The team that signs Bobby will benefit as he still produces and still is a fine hitter! His defensive skills are already known but he isn't as bad as people make it seem- just watch! He was good while with us in NYY.. he will be good once again whereever he goes...

Oh damn thanks man. I was really on the fence about Abreu after reading all of these facts and logical arguments about why he's just not very valuable anymore, but after reading this post, I'm convinced he's going to be a great player wherever he goes!

Adalbjorg
01-28-2009, 08:25 PM

I wish nothing but the best for Abreu- whoever he signs with in '09!

Bobby actually did score 100 runs and drive in 100 last year with the Yankees which is a lot better than what Swisher's ever done. But he's old and in decline and he's asking for way too much. That's why people are making fun of him.

Run Gardner Run
01-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Bobby actually did score 100 runs and drive in 100 last year with the Yankees which is a lot better than what Swisher's ever done. But he's old and in decline and he's asking for way too much. That's why people are making fun of him.

His 2006 stats say otherwise

Kinsm
01-28-2009, 10:24 PM

Is this coming from a cubs fan? A team that just signed Milton Bradley who has averaged over the past 4 years just 60 games a year in the field? Do the Cubs have a DH?....they do now in Bradley unfortunately they play in the NL.

Abreu is still worth what Burrell signed for, unfortunately with this market it will be tough to convince any GM to hand out that kind of money. The Reds could use him but Castellini and Jocketty seem determined not to spend any more money this season.

Highcheese4U
01-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Oh damn thanks man. I was really on the fence about Abreu after reading all of these facts and logical arguments about why he's just not very valuable anymore, but after reading this post, I'm convinced he's going to be a great player wherever he goes!

Good for you! Its about time you got with the program lol... :clap:

Highcheese4U
01-28-2009, 10:30 PM

I have always agreed that he was asking too much... but since he's backed off on his demand someone will sign him now-appears that the Braves are interested!

Also I know he is 'older' but I hardly think that scoring 100 runs and driving in 100 runs is a sign of him on a decline... he's just never had awesome defensive skills but he still isn't as bad as people make him out to be, he still makes plays in the field when he has to.

¿QUE?
01-28-2009, 10:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xLsRI7-hBs

Maz60
01-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Anyone who has an OPS of around 940 with guys on the bags can play for me anytime.

WickedBadMan
01-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Think he should lower them to around 1 year $8 million.

nstachowski
01-28-2009, 10:48 PM
I think that whoever gets him will get a good deal. He can still play and a short term contract would be best.

BearBird83
01-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Think he should lower them to around 1 year $8 million.

Somebody will give him a couple years for sure. I bet he gets around 2yrs/18mill.

thefeckcampaign
01-29-2009, 10:22 AM

I wish nothing but the best for Abreu- whoever he signs with in '09!Let's just say I was glad after he won the HR derby and all you Yankee fans starting crying his name. I was more than happy to let you take him off the Phillies hand and the attitude of that team immediately changed. You could tell it turned into the younger players of Rollins'/Utley''s team right away the moment he was out the door. Abreu was a stat collector. At least that is how I felt when he was with the Phillies.

In Abreu's head during an 8-2 game, Phils up top of the 7th and Abreu on first..."I haven't stolen a base in awhile. Hey, it's almost the All-Star break and I haven't reached my normal half point of 15 or so..better steal."

Kalas: "Here's the pitch, there goes Abreu...stolen base easily."

Back in Abreu's head.."Alright, on my way to another great year." :p ;)

1908_Cubs
01-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Is this coming from a cubs fan? A team that just signed Milton Bradley who has averaged over the past 4 years just 60 games a year in the field? Do the Cubs have a DH?....they do now in Bradley unfortunately they play in the NL.

Abreu is still worth what Burrell signed for, unfortunately with this market it will be tough to convince any GM to hand out that kind of money. The Reds could use him but Castellini and Jocketty seem determined not to spend any more money this season.
Oh you're right. I forgot. I have no credibility because a guy I've never met, never talked to, and had no input with (Jim Hendry), signed a baseball player.

Good point. I'm worthless now. Damnit Jim! Damn you to hell!

Using what my favorite team did to discredit me is beyond ****ing stupid. It's not just one step beyond but leaps and bounds. Because every team of all time did something stupid. The next time a Red Sox fan says anything I'll just say "Nah nah nah nah nah nah, you traded Ruth!"

jayl1377
01-29-2009, 10:53 AM
He's lowered his expectations?? i think everyone here has already lowered their expectations of him

BoognishMN
01-29-2009, 11:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vNk_j3Z18A

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw this post.

JOSKOMANG4
01-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Btw.. Abreu.. Is only 34 yrs old(according to venezuela ha)

seconly.... He's has drivin in 100 rbi's or more in 7 of the past 8 seasons... Yeah he isn't that much of a power hitter anymore.. But i mean he's a guaranteed 16-20hr/90rbi guy.

3rd.. On base percentage, since 2001, has gone over .390 in till 2007. So yes on the yankees, it declined.. But... .369 and .370. He's a sureshot to get on base.

4th.. He came with the astors.. Then sent 2 the rays.. But then traded to the phillies for kevin stocker(key fact: Starting shortstop for the phillies in the '93 world series)

5th.. No1 gives a **** about the 4th comment.. But my point is that abreu can be a pretty good pickup 4 a squad. I do believe abreu will settle for burrell money(2 yr/16mill).. Possible destinations for abreu include mets, reds(frontrunner), indians(i'd start him over choo anyday), a's(deadly leftie bats; cust(from nj) giambi, abreu, and chavez). Dodgers( back wit good 'ol joe) or the g-men(not ny, sf.. They would probably move a veteran outfielder; winn or roberts, along with trading sp lowry or j sanchez to the either the mariners to get beltre or to the rockies to get atkins(not chucky, garrett).

In conclusion.. Abreu would be a great buy at 2 yr/16mill.

WickedBadMan
01-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Somebody will give him a couple years for sure. I bet he gets around 2yrs/18mill.

Oh yeah, I agree.

I just think hes got a performance base jump going on, and if anyone hands out the big $$ it will bite them in the rear.

MooseWithFleas
01-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Whats crazy is, thats the numbers renteria got, and everyone on this site will tell you Abreu > Renteria

Tragedy
01-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Whats crazy is, thats the numbers renteria got, and everyone on this site will tell you Abreu > Renteria
Well, I guess at the time, the Giants thought they were getting a good deal. Had they waited around a while, Renteria probably could have been had for cheaper.

Thus why Kyle Lohse signing right before the offseason began was a fantastic idea.

MooseWithFleas
01-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Yeah, Lohse made out like a friggen bandit. Best bet for the remaining FA's is to take 1 year deals and hope the economy improves by next offseason

YankeeFan89
01-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Bobby Abreu lowers expectations... will now refuse to go on the warning track, rather than just against the wall

Lol

urorurogyn
01-29-2009, 07:06 PM
I just signed Bobby Abreu to a contract to play on my softball team and all it took was I have to paint his garage. Pretty soon other players will be doing the same.

Seamhead
01-29-2009, 09:06 PM

Not me. I'm a pragmatist. :p

MooseWithFleas
01-29-2009, 09:16 PM
I just signed Bobby Abreu to a contract to play on my softball team and all it took was I have to paint his garage. Pretty soon other players will be doing the same.

Yeah but your arm is gonna be blown out for the softball season from all the garages you will have to paint.

Maine's the man
01-30-2009, 03:03 AM

the two contracts really have no relationship..

just for arguments sake lets say their offensive output is equal... I agree Abreu is better, but thats not the point...

Value wise
SS >>>>>> RF

Obviously the SS is going to make a ton more money putting up a .300/.360/.450 line since abreu is probably avg value in RF.
Renteria is well above avg with that same line

I am tired but I hope i made my point