PDA

View Full Version : Source: Tom Brady plans to be ready for '09 opener

Celts22
01-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Last season's opener knocked Tom Brady out of football. He's hoping next season's launches his comeback.

Brady expects to be ready for the New England Patriots' first game of the 2009 season, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith on Monday. He suffered a season-ending knee injury in last season's first game and has had multiple procedures and battled infection since then. There was some question whether he would be ready for the opener.

Brady is on pace with his rehabilitation and is even dropping back and throwing passes, a medical source told the Boston Globe on Monday. Citing medical and NFL sources, the newspaper reported that no further procedures are scheduled on Brady's left knee.

"Based on anybody else doing an ACL rehab, he's going right along," a source said, according to the Globe. "He had a shaky start, but he's caught up."
The newspaper reported that Brady is throwing, running, doing drills and getting in shape. The source told the Globe that Brady still has some "laxity" in his medial collateral ligament, some stiffnes and has not recovered complete range of motion. None of those issues are unusual, however, considering the severity of his injury.

The Patriots are reportedly still considering using the franchise tag on quarterback Matt Cassel, who led the team to an 11-5 record last season.

espn.com

Seems like a different story every month...

Super.
01-27-2009, 11:18 PM
anything about brady not being ready i think is just to drive Cassel's stock up. my bet is that Brady starts opening day come the 09 season

The Intimidator
01-27-2009, 11:55 PM
:jumpy:

:dance:

BostonFan4life
01-28-2009, 12:12 AM
this made my day

MVPedroia
01-28-2009, 12:15 AM
Fans across the NFL just **** their pants....

TOM ****ING BRADY!!!

poppa12645
01-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Best news I've heard in a long time
:dance::dance::dance::clap::dance::dance::dance:
DANCE CLOWNS DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nygiants242
01-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Fans across the NFL just **** their pants....

TOM ****ING BRADY!!!

:pity: Let's see how he actually plays coming off knee surgery puta

poppa12645
01-28-2009, 12:39 AM

60 percent of the time he works everytime!!:worthy::worthy:

bosox1899
01-28-2009, 12:45 AM
alright guys, great news but let's not get ahead of ourselves, Cassel did just as good a job as brady did in his early years and we still missed the playoffs, it wasn't the QB position that hurt us it was our secondary

MVPedroia
01-28-2009, 12:49 AM

He's better then Eli with a torn ACL & MCL.

griff141
01-28-2009, 01:44 AM

Ahhh the sweet smell of bitterness and fear!

Red_Sox_89
01-28-2009, 02:08 AM

You're doubting TFB. He will dominate next season.

griff141
01-28-2009, 02:12 AM
"And it is predicted that he shall rise from the ashes and restore the legacy of what once was" - Leviticus

JerseyBrave
01-28-2009, 03:14 AM
alright guys, great news but let's not get ahead of ourselves, Cassel did just as good a job as brady did in his early years and we still missed the playoffs, it wasn't the QB position that hurt us it was our secondary

Cassel had alot more talent to work with early in his career then brady did. SO you can not compare their first starting seasons. Also brady did with only 1 year under his belt cassel had 3 seasons to study.

DaaBoTownSox
01-28-2009, 04:13 AM
Very good news, but let's still franchise Cassel.

futureheisman
01-28-2009, 09:31 AM
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:: dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::d ance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

best news of the offseason by far. Now we can trade Cassel

Red_Sox_89
01-28-2009, 01:39 PM
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:: dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::d ance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

best news of the offseason by far. Now we can trade Cassel

:hi5::cheers::cheers::hi5::hi5::cheers:

Valleyfella
01-28-2009, 01:47 PM
It's encouraging news, but there's a big difference between being on schedule and being ready to resume his career at the same level. Cassel won't be traded unless BB is sure Brady is 100% and that could be well into the regular season before he'll know for sure. I suspect Cassel will be franchised and stay a Pat next year while Brady starts. If Brady isn't his former self, Cassel presents a viable alternative. If Brady shows he hasn't lost anything, the Pats franchise Cassel again the following year and then trade him.

nep2008
01-28-2009, 03:40 PM
oh man am i ever so happy! This is the best news I have heard in a while

were bound to knock on the door, of superbowl 44 next year.
and we'l be the best team alive, last one standing at the bowl of 45!
omg im so excited right now this is the best news and made my day.

... only problem is this white solution that has discharged into my pants!

Red_Sox_89
01-28-2009, 09:41 PM
oh man am i ever so happy! This is the best news I have heard in a while

were bound to knock on the door, of superbowl 44 next year.
and we'l be the best team alive, last one standing at the bowl of 45!
omg im so excited right now this is the best news and made my day.

... only problem is this white solution that has discharged into my pants!

:puke:

TheRedMarauder
02-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Dr. James Andrews said Wednesday that he believes Tom Brady's chances are "good" for a full recovery from ACL and MCL reconstruction.

Andrews was brought on as a consultant by Dr. Neal S. El Attrache, who performed the surgery. It is a good sign that Andrews is putting his name on the line to say this, though, and most signs point to Brady being ready for Week 1.

rotoworld

kbjohnson26
02-26-2009, 11:41 AM

The secondary did hurt us. But considering how easy of a schedule the Pats had last year, with #12 back there we still would have easily made the playoffs.

And no.... Cassel didnt do as good of a job as Brady did. He was able to sit in a shotgun formation and throw the ball to two of the best Wr's in the league and a great ball catching RB. And for a QB to be able to sit in a shotgun formation and get sacked the amount he was, shows that he is still developing those basic QB tools. While I think Matt did a solid job, Any #2 QB could have went back there and performed the way he did and if the Pats can actually get anything more than a second round pick for him, it would be one of BB's finest accomplishments.

Now granted, he could still turn into one of the games best QB's and a future Pro-Bowler. But, if you watched all the games last season you'd know, there was still alot to be desired.

poppa12645
02-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Fantastic! now what to do with Cassel? Cap space goes up to something like 127 million lets get some contracts done!

kbjohnson26
02-26-2009, 11:44 AM
I think Cassel will get moved before the draft sometime. The Pats have alot of confidence in Kevin O'Connell and I think consider him the future at QB right now.

The Intimidator
02-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Dr. James Andrews said Wednesday that he believes Tom Brady's chances are "good" for a full recovery from ACL and MCL reconstruction.

Andrews was brought on as a consultant by Dr. Neal S. El Attrache, who performed the surgery. It is a good sign that Andrews is putting his name on the line to say this, though, and most signs point to Brady being ready for Week 1.

rotoworld

Now this is good stuff right here. Brady can tell people he wants to play all he wants, but if Dr. Andrews is giving him the "thumbs up", then I'm confident.

bagwell368
02-26-2009, 02:24 PM
I think Cassel will get moved before the draft sometime. The Pats have alot of confidence in Kevin O'Connell and I think consider him the future at QB right now.

Surely they do, but keeping Cassel is out of the question unless Brady was toast into '10. Get the deal done so we can dream about the draft!!!

kbjohnson26
02-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Surely they do, but keeping Cassel is out of the question unless Brady was toast into '10. Get the deal done so we can dream about the draft!!!

I think they are going to wait until as close to the draft as possible. I think Ideally a deal needs to be done, But the jury is still not out on Stafford or Sanchez yet. We'll see what happens after Staffords Pro Day.

I still think Cassel will go for a second rounder. To either KC or maybe even J-ville.

poppa12645
02-26-2009, 07:54 PM
J-ville?? whats the reasoning behind that? I think the Titans could be a perfect home for him ( with Kerry Collins contract issues and Vince Young's crazy issues ) run first pass second type offense