PDA

View Full Version : Skiles: Al Jefferson Could Be Best Low-Post Player In NBA

Sox Appeal
01-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Via: http://www.twincities.com/timberwolves/ci_11560236?nclick_check=1

All kidding aside, McHale said the respect for Jefferson among opposing coaches is evident in the way they defend him.

"I see teams when you watch them, our assistant coaches say this team won't trap the post," McHale said. "We play them and within a quarter, they're trapping the post. They don't trap the post against anybody, and they come and trap the post against Al. When you see him shoot layups, I don't care who you are as a coach. You think, 'I just can't watch this all night.' He's unique. He really is."

The Bucks play in the Eastern Conference, so coach Scott Skiles couldn't have voted for Jefferson even if he wanted to. But Skiles made it clear that he is a big Jefferson fan.

"If he's not the best, he's one of the best low-post players in the league," Skiles said of Jefferson. "He's got that, I guess I would call it a jump hook that he can shoot from ... 12 to 14 feet, and it's just a feathery soft touch."

Jefferson bolstered his all-star case by scoring 23 points and grabbing 10 rebounds against the Bucks.

All-star reserves will be announced Thursday.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-27-2009, 07:52 PM
lol

Bandwag0n Hater
01-27-2009, 07:52 PM
hell, why not. he very well could be

king4day
01-27-2009, 08:01 PM
As long as Shaq continues his pace, then I say no.

Sport
01-27-2009, 08:05 PM

Shaq is an after thought as far as im concerned.

tonyd3b54
01-27-2009, 08:05 PM
as far as the variety of post moves and foot work jefferson is the best

bal_ravens
01-27-2009, 08:06 PM
He very well could be.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2009, 08:07 PM
At this point, yes, he has the best post moves in the NBA

jrodmesche
01-27-2009, 08:12 PM
I agree

WSU Tony
01-27-2009, 08:31 PM

Jefferson puts up the EXACT numbers as shaq per minute and plays 50% more. I'd say that's more productive, huh?

lol

You just haven't heard of him. :laugh:

Ragun
01-27-2009, 08:38 PM
duncan?

Raps18-19 Champ
01-27-2009, 08:46 PM
You just haven't heard of him. :laugh:

Theres still Duncan and Shaq

thesparky33
01-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Theres still Duncan and Shaq

You have got to be kidding me.

Duncan IMO is one of the only guys who I'd take over Big Al in terms of low post scoring, for obvious reasons.

But Shaq is putting up good numbers and scoring more than last year mostly because teams aren't double and triple teaming him like they do for Al, yet Al puts up far better numbers and plays a lot more frequently as well. He put up 39 against Chicago the other night while they were triple teaming him all night long. Ask any Bulls fan who watched that game, and they'll tell you.

I know you havent seen Al Jefferson play this year. I just know it. Just remember to watch him when the Wolves play the Raptors this season. You'll be impressed. ;)

goku
01-27-2009, 09:45 PM
yao duncan shaq

Raps18-19 Champ
01-27-2009, 09:53 PM

Duncan IMO is one of the only guys who I'd take over Big Al in terms of low post scoring, for obvious reasons.

But Shaq is putting up good numbers and scoring more than last year mostly because teams aren't double and triple teaming him like they do for Al, yet Al puts up far better numbers and plays a lot more frequently as well. He put up 39 against Chicago the other night while they were triple teaming him all night long. Ask any Bulls fan who watched that game, and they'll tell you.

I know you havent seen Al Jefferson play this year. I just know it. Just remember to watch him when the Wolves play the Raptors this season. You'll be impressed. ;)

Shaq not getting double teamed? where have you been

even last year i still saw some double teams.

if you were a coach would you double team a 7'1 300+ pound guy who gets 18 and 9? All the coaches in the league would probably say yes

your right i dont watch him play. i only watch my home team and players who are good

Lakersfan2483
01-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Duncan is still the best low post player and has the best footwork down low.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2009, 10:13 PM
yao duncan shaq

no, no, and no. Yao is huge, but has 1 post move (back down, baby hook). Duncan, I can accept argument (in the past, for sure). Shaq, maybe 3 years ago. The best low post moves in the NBA belong to Al Jefferson.

Kakaroach
01-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Al Jefferson is the best post player POWER wise. If your talking about moves and creative shots in the paint, you'd have to go with Duncan, Boozer, and Yao. But ya Al Jefferson is better than Shaq and ever1 else in terms of brute power.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Al Jefferson is the best post player POWER wise. If your talking about moves and creative shots in the paint, you'd have to go with Duncan, Boozer, and Yao. But ya Al Jefferson is better than Shaq and ever1 else in terms of brute power.

you haven't watched him, obviously. Jefferson does more spins and fake pumps than anyone in the NBA. He uses more footwork than Duncan. Sometimes, he overdoes it actually. But nobody shakes and bakes like Al Jefferson.

Sixerlover
01-27-2009, 10:28 PM
He has the best post moves for sure. Instead of just one go to move he has an arsenal. People that are LOL'ing this are crazy because outside of Duncan no one is close to being able to do the things he does in the post with the ball.

Kakaroach
01-27-2009, 10:29 PM
I've actually watched him twice when he played against the Jazz. He does have good footwork and pump fakes, but that doesn't mean he's good. I haven't seen him hit a nice fade-away jumper the way guys like Boozer and Duncan do.

yuns554
01-27-2009, 10:34 PM

well the thing is the bulls suck
al jefferson scored on noah a bunch of times
congratulations...

goku
01-27-2009, 10:39 PM
no, no, and no. Yao is huge, but has 1 post move (back down, baby hook). Duncan, I can accept argument (in the past, for sure). Shaq, maybe 3 years ago. The best low post moves in the NBA belong to Al Jefferson.

are you kidding me yao only has one post move ya has the spin around base line turn around jumper a hook shot nice jump shot even an up and under are you kidding me 1 post move right :rolleyes:

Sixerlover
01-27-2009, 10:42 PM
well the thing is the bulls suck
al jefferson scored on noah a bunch of times
congratulations...

20 and 11 On Cleveland's frontcourt
34 and 19 against Houston
24 and 14 against New Orleans
66 and 39 in 3 games against Denver (an average of 22 and 13)
87 and 33 in 3 games against S.A (an average of 29 and 11)
20 and 13 against the Lakers
50 and 29 in 2 games against the Suns (an average of 25 and 14.5)

he does it on more than bad teams....

yuns554
01-27-2009, 10:55 PM
20 and 11 On Cleveland's frontcourt
34 and 19 against Houston
24 and 14 against New Orleans
66 and 39 in 3 games against Denver (an average of 22 and 13)
87 and 33 in 3 games against S.A (an average of 29 and 11)
20 and 13 against the Lakers
50 and 29 in 2 games against the Suns (an average of 25 and 14.5)

he does it on more than bad teams....

i didnt say he doesnt do well against other teams
the other guy jus said go ask bulls fans cause jefferson dropped 39 on them
so i was jus answering for that comment

mnvikings28
01-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Al Jefferson is probably the best low post player in the nba. look at the guys who else are in this conversation. Yao, Duncan, Shaq, Boozer all have good if not great players around him. What does al have. Randy Foye? Sebastian Telfair? wait even Ryan Gomes! Mediocre players on most teams. That calls for defenses to double and triple team Al the majority of the time and yet he still can put up 20+ points night in and night out.

Joshtd1
01-27-2009, 11:23 PM
I love Al Jeff, he reminds so much of Duncan.

I still think Duncan has the best moves/footwork, but after that it is Al Jeff for sure to me.

People really really really underrate Al Jeff, and I find it very sad because he is a hell of a player.

JabberJaw
01-27-2009, 11:36 PM
Duncan or Jefferson...Shaq can't stay on the floor long enough to ge considered. Jefferson is a beast on a bad team. He's big, has a soft touch and great feet.

SC1211
01-27-2009, 11:41 PM

Wow, that was just an ignorant comment. Seriously, have you ever watched Yao? Post moves that he uses FREQUENTLY:

1) Turn around jumper, either way
2) Hook shot, either way
3) Pump fake, step forward
4) Spin left or right
5) Pump fake, spin

If you're going to talk about a player, at least back it up with something credible. Yao's post game is unmatched.

bbcmillionaire
01-27-2009, 11:58 PM
hey screw the guy who said the bulls suck, he doesn't even deserve a name.
list
duncan
jefferson
shaq

cali72888
01-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Wow, that was just an ignorant comment. Seriously, have you ever watched Yao? Post moves that he uses FREQUENTLY:

2) Hook shot, either way
4) Spin left or right
5) Pump fake, spin

If you're going to talk about a player, at least back it up with something credible. Yao's post game is unmatched.

Your opinion is quite bias being that you have a Yao Ming sig.
After saying that i have to disagree that Yao even remotely comes close to any of the moves that Jefferson and Duncan can put up any given night.
Ill give Yao the turnaround J, but after that his post moves are average to me.

As for shaq, his post moves are antiques. He uses his push around style like he always has, all he does is put his weight on the opposition and shoot a 2-3ft shot. The refs give him so much leeway when he should be called for alot of the stuff he does. Shaq had the post moves, but now he is on his last wheels he may still put up good numbers but its not because of his post moves, its because he is 7'1'' 310lbs.

Al Jefferson and Duncan are top 2 no doubt

Morgan
01-28-2009, 12:04 AM
When he was in Boston he was one of the best low post players in basketball and now that he's working with the king of low post moves Kevin McHale he is one of the best I've ever seen. I think I'd rather have Al Jefferson than Dwight Howard because Howard can't create his own shot at all. He needs to be right under the basket to score points.

king4day
01-28-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm sure if the people who vote for the allstars vote AJ in, then this case is closed. Nevermind being on a bad team cuz KG was on a some bad Wolves teams and still made it. However, if he doesn't make it, then direct these arguments to the voters.
Something tells me, even without watching, that AJ isn't scoring 39 pts while being double and triple teamed.

Skylander14
01-28-2009, 12:19 AM
the non Mn fans who watch Al would probably agree he is up there probably slightly behind the big fundemental Tim Duncan. And for those who say he isnt getting double or triple teamed he is. In Chicago they tripled him on many occasions and sometimes I thought he should pass but he would do some crazy moves and make the shot.
people who say Yao gotta be kidding he is 8 inches taller than Jefferson does yao have an arsenal really does he need one it should be easier for him to score anyway
Shaq and Howard are the power guys because they can basically push anyone out their way but shaq does have moves, howard not so much and last year people said Marion for shaq was dumb for PHX this year he is a beast?? lets all go on the bandwagon
KG not what he was but still who wouldnt want him

Vidball
01-28-2009, 12:28 AM
When he was in Boston he was one of the best low post players in basketball and now that he's working with the king of low post moves Kevin McHale he is one of the best I've ever seen. I think I'd rather have Al Jefferson than Dwight Howard because Howard can't create his own shot at all. He needs to be right under the basket to score points.

:speechless:
Are you serious? You do know there are two sides of the court, right? AJ can't defend his way out of a paper bag. He is one of the most polished offenses forces in the game for sure, but do you really think ORL would be an elite team w/AJ instead of Dwight??? Do you think MIN would suck this bad with Dwight on the squad?

SC1211
01-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Your opinion is quite bias being that you have a Yao Ming sig.
After saying that i have to disagree that Yao even remotely comes close to any of the moves that Jefferson and Duncan can put up any given night.
Ill give Yao the turnaround J, but after that his post moves are average to me.

As for shaq, his post moves are antiques. He uses his push around style like he always has, all he does is put his weight on the opposition and shoot a 2-3ft shot. The refs give him so much leeway when he should be called for alot of the stuff he does. Shaq had the post moves, but now he is on his last wheels he may still put up good numbers but its not because of his post moves, its because he is 7'1'' 310lbs.

Al Jefferson and Duncan are top 2 no doubt

Or it could mean that because I watch him a lot more, I have more knowledge on what he can do.

Hawkeye15
01-28-2009, 12:32 AM

2) Hook shot, either way
4) Spin left or right
5) Pump fake, spin

really, cause I live in Houston, and see him all the time, and have been to at least 20 games in which he plays. Sure, he spins now and then. But he basically just backs you down, and shoots the baby hook 75% of the time. If you disagree, start watching Rockets games.

Hawkeye15
01-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Are you serious? You do know there are two sides of the court, right? AJ can't defend his way out of a paper bag. He is one of the most polished offenses forces in the game for sure, but do you really think ORL would be an elite team w/AJ instead of Dwight??? Do you think MIN would suck this bad with Dwight on the squad?

you would need league pass to watch Jefferson, but he is much, much, much better on defense this year. Is he on an all team defense? Probably not. But he is so much better it isn't even funny. Please don't label him like Amare. He does get an enormous amount of defensive rebounds, and blocks a lot of shots

Nighthawk
01-28-2009, 12:38 AM
I dont need verification from forum members. I already thought he was one of the best. Hearing a player and coach like Skiles say it only confirms it more. Of course he is one fo the best. THEEE best..NO..But one of...YES!1

Hawkeye15
01-28-2009, 12:50 AM
are you kidding me yao only has one post move ya has the spin around base line turn around jumper a hook shot nice jump shot even an up and under are you kidding me 1 post move right :rolleyes:

he has one that he goes to about 75% of the time. He may spin here and there, or fadeaway, but he basically backs you up, and shoots a baby hook. I live in Houston, have seen him on TV/Live 150 times. Come up with whatever you feel like, he has basic post moves at best. But he is huge, so it doesn't matter. My point was, he doesn't hold a candle to the moves Jefferson has. But AJ is 6'10". So he needs to pull those moves

Morgan
01-28-2009, 01:03 AM

The Orlando Magic's starting 5 are all pretty good players though. The T-Wolves have nobody except for Al Jefferson and they are playing great right now and that's because of two things. Kevin McHale and Al Jefferson. I like AJ better than Howard. It's my opinion to like whoever I want to like. I've seen AJ play a lot when he was in Boston and I think he has the best low post moves in basketball and, he's playing C when he should be a PF. Imagine if he was playing at his natural position? WOW!

Frrrrank!!!
01-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Big Al turns defenders inside-out on the post. I've never seen a big man with his kind of moves.

Geezy
01-28-2009, 01:18 AM
i have been a huge fan of jefferson since his days with the celtics and was in a way sad to see him go. i always thought he had the best low post moves in the nba even in his early years in the league. the guy is an absolute animal

Frrrrank!!!
01-28-2009, 01:25 AM
i have been a huge fan of jefferson since his days with the celtics and was in a way sad to see him go. i always thought he had the best low post moves in the nba even in his early years in the league. the guy is an absolute animal

Welcome to the forums!

thesparky33
01-28-2009, 03:38 AM
I'm sure if the people who vote for the allstars vote AJ in, then this case is closed. Nevermind being on a bad team cuz KG was on a some bad Wolves teams and still made it. However, if he doesn't make it, then direct these arguments to the voters.
Something tells me, even without watching, that AJ isn't scoring 39 pts while being double and triple teamed.
I wish I had a copy of the game on my hard drive, cuz I would upload the game and send it to you if I did.

He was double teamed the whole game, and at the end of the 4th quarter and during overtime, he was constantly triple teamed because he kept on making Noah look like a buffoon, even though Noah, IMO, was doing as good of a job as you could.

WSU Tony
01-28-2009, 11:05 AM

Yes, he does.....

cali72888
01-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Or it could mean that because I watch him a lot more, I have more knowledge on what he can do.

you are only kidding youself saying yao is one of the best post players. Your opinion is bias, you obviously have a man crush on Ming. Everyone knows he is not a top 5, probably not even top 10 post player. Dont get me wrong he is a good player, but his moves in the post are average.

Gibby23
01-28-2009, 04:47 PM
The best low post player on a sorry team? If he is the best low post player, his team should win more than 16 games.

Frrrrank!!!
01-28-2009, 04:48 PM
The best low post player on a sorry team? If he is the best low post player, his team should win more than 16 games.

I didn't know the NBA was 1 on 1.:eyebrow:

Gibby23
01-28-2009, 04:53 PM
I didn't know the NBA was 1 on 1.:eyebrow:

Name me 1 guy that has been considered the best low post player in the past that has not led his team to atleast 40 plus wins.

Frrrrank!!!
01-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Name me 1 guy that has been considered the best low post player in the past that has not led his team to atleast 40 plus wins.

Name me a low post guy that had been on a team with the roster like the wolves.

Gibby23
01-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Name me a low post guy that had been on a team with the roster like the wolves.

1992-93 Orlando Magic

25 Nick Anderson
Anthony Bowie
Terry Catledge
Bison Dele
Litterial Green
Steve Kerr
Greg Kite
Shaquille O'Neal
Donald Royal
Dennis Scott
Scott Skiles
Tom Tolbert
Jeff Turner
Lorenzo Williams
Howard Wright

41-41 record

The season before they got Shaq they only had 21 wins with almost the same roster. Now it's your turn.

IversonIsKrazy
01-28-2009, 05:17 PM
if you only talking about low post moves hes 3rd. after Duncan and KG.

Frrrrank!!!
01-28-2009, 06:08 PM
1992-93 Orlando Magic

25 Nick Anderson
Anthony Bowie
Terry Catledge
Bison Dele
Litterial Green
Steve Kerr
Greg Kite
Shaquille O'Neal
Donald Royal
Dennis Scott
Scott Skiles
Tom Tolbert
Jeff Turner
Lorenzo Williams
Howard Wright

41-41 record

The season before they got Shaq they only had 21 wins with almost the same roster. Now it's your turn.

I never said Al was as good as Shaq was, I said he was the best now. Shaq has diminished, so imo Al is better.

YankeeFan89
01-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Timmy

Gup
01-28-2009, 06:43 PM
He is a machine on the block..... but best in the nba?

Gibby23
01-28-2009, 06:50 PM
I never said Al was as good as Shaq was, I said he was the best now. Shaq has diminished, so imo Al is better.

You told me to name 1, and I did. I asked you a question but you could not answer. Tim Duncan is the best in the post.

JerzeyFresh
01-28-2009, 06:52 PM
yao duncan shaq garnett not even close

thesparky33
01-29-2009, 06:56 PM
yao duncan shaq garnett not even close

Jefferson is a better low post scorer than Garnett.

And I'm a huge Garnett fan.

JayW_1023
01-30-2009, 08:17 AM
It's nice to see a young player like Al take on the more old school low post game. He reminds me of a smaller Moses Malone...he has the power and the finesse to be a dominant player. He is just very fluent, almost effortless. He can use his strength advantage and quick footwork to gain advantage and has been devoping a reliable jumper as well.

He may well be at Duncans level already as a low post scorer. The difference is that Duncan is 6'11 and Al Jeff is 6'9. And Duncan is a dominant defender, something Al has yet to become. I see him developing more into a physical post defender than a weakside defender however.

Duncan is the most polished low post player...he isn't as fluent as Gasol or Jefferson, but he can finish with either hand, is equenly effective on both boxes and as alot of ways to clear space for a shot. His bank shot comes and goes, but he also has the ability to fake out and even take it to the hole now and tthen.

Garnett is very overrated as a low post scorer...he is a great high post player with his length and accurate jumper, but all he has down low is a spin dribble into a driving hook. He relies mostly on his athleticism around the hoop.

Howard is rapidly improving as a post scorer, but right now his combination of size, strength and hops gets him easy baskets. He is still a bit raw, and not as fluent as Jefferson and Gasol. He is already a lock to score down low...if he improves is all-round court awareness and pass efectively out of double teams he'll be in Shaq territory because the defense can't overplay him anymore when he puts the ball on the floor.

Bosh and Amare both rely more on their quickness than their strength to score around the hoop, preferring to face their man up by getting the ball in the high post. Dirk also likes to get into the high post. Although he prefers to fade, he can be clever in the low post spinning left and right

Yao is pretty polished. He has the baseline spin, the baby hook, great range on his shot. He also has some really effective up and under moves, although these days you see him build up his offense more from the high post to sustain his energy throughout the game.

I love Gasol because he can effectively switch between his back to the basket and face up game better than any big man in the league. He can be a low post and high post player with equal effectiveness.

Shaq is no longer as quick on his feet, but he is still unstoppable in the paint down low. He can still turn around for that short one handed half jumper. He still has the moves, just not the explosiveness he onc had. In his prime, he wasn't just so much stronger than his defenders, but also quicker. And his underrated passing made it tough for defenses to collapse on him. It usually didn't matter anyway and he would score at will.

Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer and David West use their strength to get spacing for their perimeter shots but like to get the ball posting up and switch their pivot foot for a face up position. From there they like to use headfakes to draw the foul or take it to the hoop.

Right now as a low post scorer I put Jefferson a mite behind Duncan, but just ahead of Yao, Shaq and Pau Gasol.

innovator
01-30-2009, 08:22 AM
if you only talking about low post moves hes 3rd. after Duncan and KG.

are serious??? KG???? he doesnt even post up anymore. he just shoots 20 footers

chicagowhitesox
01-30-2009, 12:21 PM
i don't think so. prolly pau gasol.

Steely McBeam
01-30-2009, 12:35 PM
I can't believe jefferson is not an all-star. That 'lee' thread should be replaced with jefferson

LADanks
01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
If Skiles is talking about purely the best low post moves, and not factoring in size, strength, physicality and D, I think he's correct. Followed by Timmy, Pau and Yao.

MagicBucsSox
01-30-2009, 01:03 PM
best low post is duncan ever, i like al i never seen him on the twolves but its crazy how he's blossomed but minnesota gon do him dirty like kg

JJ81
01-30-2009, 01:19 PM
he's a bear

Sixerlover
01-30-2009, 01:40 PM
are serious??? KG???? he doesnt even post up anymore. he just shoots 20 footers

People are just programmed to say certain things.

Vidball
01-30-2009, 03:26 PM
best low post is duncan ever, i like al i never seen him on the twolves but its crazy how he's blossomed but minnesota gon do him dirty like kg

I hope that doesn't mean you think Duncan is the best low-post player ever. There is a not-so-short list ahead of him that starts with Hakeem (if you're talking about actual low-post moves). If you're talking about low-post dominance on offense Wilt & Shaq are the top two ever.

BenFrank
01-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Yoa..

One on One Yao will Kill Jefferson.

Case Closed

MagicBucsSox
01-30-2009, 06:55 PM
man shut the hell up u better be 60 atleast talking about wilt chamberlain.other than that u never seen the guy play.not to mention hey it is what it is but he played when the league was white dominated,hell outta here if him played today he'd be erick dampier i saw games of wilt and he was just bigger not talented.
2. no one heard of hakeem olajuwon until jordan retired
and shaq's nowhere near the player duncan is and im more a shaq fan

mnvikings28
01-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Yoa..

Case Closed

:eyebrow: Someone may be a little bit high on yao?

Hawkeye15
01-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Yoa..

Case Closed

really. In Houston earlier this season
Jefferson 34/13/4/3
Yao 18/4/3/2

hmmmm

JAZZNC
01-30-2009, 10:05 PM
There's a reason he gets doubled every day. The guy just doesn't have anybody else on the team. Of course they're going to double him. He's just not that good. If you're gonna say that then anybody putting up stats like that should be considered one of the best in the league like Millsap, Boozer, Randolph, ect especially when winning doesn't factor in.

Lost Art
01-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Well, Andrew Bynum is pretty much tearing him a new one right now. 17 points and 9 boards on 6-8 FG at the half. Pretty much making him look like a player who puts up big numbers on a bad team.......which is exactly what he is. Meanwhile, Bynum is making AJ's post game look silly holding him to 5-13 FG........and the majority of those makes were on Gasol. Jefferson is nice, but I'll take B-Nasty any day of the week. He's pretty much doing this every single night nowadays. I think he's averaging like 26/13 in his last stretch of games and is looking like he's going to improve on that tonight. Just to recap, Bynum has dominated Duncan, Okafor, and AJ this week. Peace.

JayW_1023
01-30-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm sick of the "if they would play 1-on-1 logic"...basketball is played 5 on 5 mmkay?

JayW_1023
01-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Well, Andrew Bynum is pretty much tearing him a new one right now. 17 points and 9 boards on 6-8 FG at the half. Pretty much making him look like a player who puts up big numbers on a bad team.......which is exactly what he is. Meanwhile, Bynum is making AJ's post game look silly holding him to 5-13 FG........and the majority of those makes were on Gasol. Jefferson is nice, but I'll take B-Nasty any day of the week. He's pretty much doing this every single night nowadays. I think he's averaging like 26/13 in his last stretch of games and is looking like he's going to improve on that tonight. Just to recap, Bynum has dominated Duncan, Okafor, and AJ this week. Peace.

Yeah he has been excellent. His low post game is polished and his help defense is good too. He needs to learn how to find his teammates better when the D collapses on him, but he is already better at it than Jefferson, Amare or Howard. But he isn't yet on Duncan-Yao-Gasol-Dirk-Garnett level as far a court awareness goes.

I would love to see Bynum sustain his play of late for a full season before I consider him among the elite big men, Right now he is really progressing, but the thing is consistency over a longer period. And there is a difference between dominating and simply outplaying someone.

Lost Art
01-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Yeah he has been excellent. His low post game is polished and his help defense is good too. He needs to learn how to find his teammates better when the D collapses on him, but he is already better at it than Jefferson, Amare or Howard. But he isn't yet on Duncan-Yao-Gasol-Dirk-Garnett level as far a court awareness goes.

I would love to see Bynum sustain his play of late for a full season before I consider him among the elite big men, Right now he is really progressing, but the thing is consistency over a longer period. And there is a difference between dominating and simply outplaying someone.

I agree on pretty much all points. But he's been the best big in the league over the last 5 games........he's working on 23 & 12 with 3 blocks on 8-11 FG in the 3rd right now. I'm a huge Laker fan..........and I'm convinced, he's our 2nd best player and its not even close.

Lost Art
01-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Bynum sits out from the 2 minute mark in the 3rd through the 3 minute mark in the 4th.............and AJ goes nuts against Gasol shooting 7-12 FG. Go figure :eyebrow: Seriously, Gasol is such a softie.

JAZZNC
01-30-2009, 11:41 PM
man shut the hell up u better be 60 atleast talking about wilt chamberlain.other than that u never seen the guy play.not to mention hey it is what it is but he played when the league was white dominated,hell outta here if him played today he'd be erick dampier i saw games of wilt and he was just bigger not talented.
2. no one heard of hakeem olajuwon until jordan retired
and shaq's nowhere near the player duncan is and im more a shaq fan

Never in my life have I seen a post this ********. Way to go buddy, there were some pretty big retards on this board at one time or another and somehow you managed to beat them all. Give yourself a pat on the back:clap: You've earned it, you just don't get that ******** on God given ability alone...it's something you have to want and work at every day of your life.

innovator
01-30-2009, 11:47 PM
yeah bynum outplayed al jefferson tonight. if you look at the stats you would say that jefferson had a better game but NO

bynum 27 pts 15 rebs 2 blks 10-15 FG IN 30 MINUTES!!!!!!!!
jefferson 34 pts 13 rebs 4 blks 13-27 FG IN 42 MINUTES!!!!!!!

before andrew bynum sat out for like a whole quarter from 2 min. 3rd to 3 min 4th the stats looked like this

bynum 23 pts, 13 rebs 8-13 FG in 27 minutes
jefferson 14 pts, 8 rebs 5-15 FG in 30 minutes

so when bynum is in the court he outplays jefferson both offensively and defensively. but when bynum was sent to the bench in the 2nd half gasol had to guard jefferson and jefferson had stats of

20 pts, 5 rebs 8-12 FG in around 12 minutes

so if phil didnt screw bynum again and played him instead of soft gasol then jefferson would not get this many points and instead bynum will reach 30 pts easily.

mnvikings28
01-30-2009, 11:50 PM
yeah bynum outplayed al jefferson tonight. if you look at the stats you would say that jefferson had a better game but NO

before andrew bynum sat out for like a whole quarter from 2 min. 3rd to 3 min 4th the stats looked like this

so when bynum is in the court he outplays jefferson both offensively and defensively. but when bynum was sent to the bench in the 2nd half gasol had to guard jefferson and jefferson had stats of

so if phil didnt screw bynum again and played him instead of soft gasol then jefferson would not get this many points and instead bynum will reach 30 pts easily.

Oh man so Bynum outplays him for ONE NIGHT and he is so much better than Al. Hey remember that the Lakers also have Kobe, Fischer, and Gasol so Bynum doesnt have 3 players surrounding him every time he touches the ball.

Lost Art
01-30-2009, 11:51 PM

True. Gasol got absolutely burned by AJ. Bynum put up 27/15/2 in only 30 minutes! AJ got completely schooled by Bynum until Phil screwed Bynum once again by unnecessarily benching him (almost giving up the game in the process I might add). Bottom line, Bynum could be the best big in the league sometime soon, very soon!

lakers4sho
01-30-2009, 11:55 PM
I agree on pretty much all points. But he's been the best big in the league over the last 5 games........he's working on 23 & 12 with 3 blocks on 8-11 FG in the 3rd right now. I'm a huge Laker fan..........and I'm convinced, he's our 2nd best player and its not even close.

A week's worth of games is such a small sample size. that's why Gasol was chosen for the ASG, not Bynum. Pau's been great the entire season except for these last 2 games.

JAZZNC
01-31-2009, 12:01 AM
Bynum will be the best center in 2 or 3 yrs. I just don't think that Howard is going to get any better skill wise, he's what he's gonna be. Bynum has the size strength and MOVES to make it all work. He's gonna be very, very good. Sure wish the Jazz would have drafted him that year.

Lost Art
01-31-2009, 12:03 AM
A week's worth of games is such a small sample size. that's why Gasol was chosen for the ASG, not Bynum. Pau's been great the entire season except for these last 2 games.

I'm sorry, but Bynum's turned the corner and isn't going to look back. Bynum is finally getting the touches that he deserves and he's proving himself as our 2nd best player........and its not even close. I think his offense is actually just as good or better than Gasol's if he gets his touches........but what really sets him apart is his defense. Gasol is a liability out there and Bynum is pretty much the MAN down there. We are a completely different team without Bynum in the game. AJ had a field day out there tonight with Bynum out of the game.

And during this last "weeks worth of games" he's dominated AJ, Duncan, and Okafor.......many more to come :D

Bleeds Blue
01-31-2009, 12:07 AM
pau isnt a liability defensively... i think he is an above average defender, he goes through defensive lapses and is going through a rough couple of games right now d wise

no doubt drew will be an allstar, hes finally back to where he was. he has the moves, strength, work ethic, intelligence, coaching, and touch to be dominating for a while

lakers4sho
01-31-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm sorry, but Bynum's turned the corner and isn't going to look back. Bynum is finally getting the touches that he deserves and he's proving himself as our 2nd best player........and its not even close. I think his offense is actually just as good or better than Gasol's if he gets his touches........but what really sets him apart is his defense. Gasol is a liability out there and Bynum is pretty much the MAN down there. We are a completely different team without Bynum in the game. AJ had a field day out there tonight with Bynum out of the game.

And during this last "weeks worth of games" he's dominated AJ, Duncan, and Okafor.......many more to come :D

I wouldn't say that he's still better than Gasol. Pau's apparently going through a rough time these past couple weeks.

Saying it's not even close makes it even worse. Gasol played better than Kobe the first few weeks of the season. Should we say that Pau's the better player? Exactly.

innovator
01-31-2009, 12:55 AM
Oh man so Bynum outplays him for ONE NIGHT and he is so much better than Al. Hey remember that the Lakers also have Kobe, Fischer, and Gasol so Bynum doesnt have 3 players surrounding him every time he touches the ball.

i never said that bynum is better than aljefferson. and thats the point bynum has kobe,gasol and fisher to share his points with and yet he scored 27 points unlike aljefferson who doesnt have anyone thats why he scores most of the twolves points. pt aljefferson in the lakers instead of bynum do you think he will still average 22 pts?

Mcnabb_vision
01-31-2009, 01:06 AM
yes he is..at this point..duncan and shaq had there days...its AL's time now

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-31-2009, 01:39 AM
Al has a very nice touch around the rim. He needs to get stronger in my opinion. Either that or the Wolves need to draft a center that can play the post defense they need. AL Jefferson could not keep Bynum or Gasol from backing him right under the rim.

Al does have a very good post game. He did not do it against Bynum tonight but he did do it against Pau. And even though Pau is not known as being an defensive Juggernaut, he did give Camby, Boozer, Duncan nightmares last year in the playoffs. His man on man defense is actually pretty decent. Al Jeff just out played him.

lakers4sho
01-31-2009, 01:59 AM
However, I did see his feet shuffling in a number of occasions...

carlo4444
01-31-2009, 02:03 AM
i would probs pick duncan over him thats about it. BUT i would still consider Al over duncan cause his younger and has a bright future. His putting up huge numbers thats why i would consider him over timmy.

G-Funk
01-31-2009, 02:19 AM
The problem is that Bynum and Al are 2 different players, Al shouldnt even be a center, and Bynum just proved us why? and this is exactly why Bynum plays well against Amare,Duncan and Al. these players are PF's not C's. Bynum has what it takes to be better than Gasol but he needs the experience to be better.

Vidball
01-31-2009, 02:42 AM
AL was pretty impressive tonight (even though he struggled from the field). He plays on a team with horrible help-defense, so it's hard to rate him as a defender because he was forced to guard a much bigger man. Both his transition and help-D are just as bad as the rest of the teams though. He's definitely got a lot of room to improve defensively. I don't see the need to compare him to Drew though--AL is a PF who is being forced to play Center. I think his game would be much more appreciated if he had a true big that played aside him.

Gibby23
01-31-2009, 02:53 AM

Yeah the 21 points, 9 reb, 3 ast. 1 blk, with 0 To's, on6-11 shooting sucks trade him, he only had 1 block!

lakers4sho
01-31-2009, 02:58 AM
Uhh I was trying to support Pau's cause :eyebrow:

I haven't checked the boxscore for tonight's game, but those numbers are "quiet" numbers from Pau, especially after Al Jeff had his way against him.

Gibby23
01-31-2009, 03:03 AM
really. In Houston earlier this season
Jefferson 34/13/4/3
Yao 18/4/3/2

hmmmm

Yeah sure, Yao played 35 min and shot 9-17, Jefferson played 45 min and shot 15-31 (under 50% is pretty bad for a big man). Yao shot over 50% and won the game. Jefferson shoots under 50% for the season, so he is not that impressive. He also got schooled by a 21 tear old today.

Gibby23
01-31-2009, 03:06 AM
Uhh I was trying to support Pau's cause :eyebrow:

I haven't checked the boxscore for tonight's game, but those numbers are "quiet" numbers from Pau, especially after Al Jeff had his way against him.

Not really, he had alot of long jumpers and put backs. Did you watch?

lakers4sho
01-31-2009, 03:10 AM
I did. But Gasol was getting punished on the defensive end. Bynum was doing a much better job defending Jefferson than Gasol.

MagicBucsSox
01-31-2009, 12:09 PM
im an idiot? but bynum is gonna be better than howard? hahahhahahahaha bynum stinks and howard if you watch a magic game is learning a lil 15 footer J which is all he needs. bynum doesnt even avg 10 boards ehich dwight has done since day1.

ps you cant teach 21/14/4 homie
bynum still at 13/8/1