PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate the Tigers Offseason???

MichiganSports
01-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Things are Pretty much rapped up now, with the exception of Minor league signings. On a Scale of 1-10, how would you rate the Tigers Offseason. I'm going with a 7. They pretty much attempted to fill all their needs. Now whether or not things pan out with all the moves, thats a different question. I think when its all said and done, this will be looked back upon as a solid offseason. The Biggest question mark is Lyon. Everett and Laird should fit in nicely. And Jackson should be a nice addition to the backend of our rotation.

Sheffies Chef
01-27-2009, 08:45 PM
I'd say a 8.

Every need was met in someway. But they were with guys who have some question marks.

JMDTM
01-27-2009, 09:23 PM
id say a 8 as well. we filled all our major needs. just some question marks as stated above.

mark1125
01-27-2009, 09:53 PM
I think if one can look past the fact that they did not make a marquee trade or signing, it isn't a bad off season.

Laird should be a solid (albeit unspectacular) at catcher. Everett if healthy will give us great defense in the middle of the infield. I like the Lyon signing and Jackson should be decent.

I would have liked to have seen one more bullpen arm (Ohman, Beimel, Cruz), but it isn't the end of the world.

Overall, I will say 7. The bullpen is still iffy as is Everett staying healthy. I was sorry to see Joyce get dealt.

JMDTM
01-27-2009, 10:13 PM
yeah i did like Joyce a lot to. the guy had a lot of promise. i kinda still want him here, but what do you do

Sam_Quentin
01-27-2009, 10:55 PM
8 seems awfully high guys... Im thinking more like 5 myself.

Sam_Quentin
01-27-2009, 10:59 PM
I suppose i should elaborate. Didnt like the Jackson trade, liked the Laird move, Everett was just ok (certainly nothing to write home about), and Lyon...meh...only glad he's here so Rodney isnt closing. Not excited about him personally though. So all in all, i just give an average rating.

Tragedy
01-28-2009, 12:32 AM
I don't know about a number, but certainly "average". Laird is a decent pick up, but I think the most important thing is the arms: No SP's to REALLY help out were brought in, and of course, Brandon Lyon right now is probably not enough to take the BP to a very respectable level.

But then, you never know. Maybe Zumaya stays healthy, and things work out far better.

RicoSteel
01-28-2009, 09:40 AM
I like the recent bullpen signings....Low dollar/low risk deals. If even one of them hit, we are in much better shape. Was not a fan of the Everett signing and still am not. I like Laird a lot and am lukewarm on Jackson. Overall a 6.5 As someone above said, I would like to see one more veteran arm signed to the pen (Parrish, Beimel, Ohman)

Bondomania
01-28-2009, 10:52 AM
i think this is going to do the tigers some good this year. Nothing flashy, just moves to get solid ball players here. I think it will be good that the tigers aren't the favorite to win the AL and ESPN won't be hyping them up. I think they will be able to settle in as a dark horse to win the division. I guess right now i would have to give them a 7 for their moves. They addressed the areas of need, and i can't complain about that. I am going to wait for the end of spring training to see how i feel about the team. I want to see what players make the team out of spring training.

Lionsforlife
01-28-2009, 12:30 PM
I agree with around an 8. We didn't have any flashy moves like last season, but look where that got us. In fact, most of the most successful teams are the ones that come out and surprise. They aren't the teams that make the big siginings or high profile trades.

What we did was fill every need we had. Catcher, check. Shortstop, check. Closer, check. Even a spot that we thought might not be addressed, starter.

I agree that we are counting on a lot of turn arounds and health, but I like the fact that our defense will be better. I also think that Cabrera comes out on fire after being here for an entire season. He struggled at first. All Everett has to do is make contact and hopefully Santiago will thrive again off the fact that he has little pressure (he hits better when he's not an everyday starter). Inge's average will go up slightly. I like everything we have done. Especially the low profile signings (Rincon, Williamson, Ni.) None of them may do anything but I thought they were prudent moves. Give those two chances to redeem themselves and take a look at someone new who could develop.

Overall, well done.

drewstantontime
01-28-2009, 12:44 PM
it was a 5 until a few days ago but id say they pulled off a decent offseason. They didnt go out and blow a bunch of money but they got value with their signings. Good offseason id give em an 8

Sheffies Chef
01-28-2009, 04:08 PM
I agree with around an 8. We didn't have any flashy moves like last season, but look where that got us. In fact, most of the most successful teams are the ones that come out and surprise. They aren't the teams that make the big siginings or high profile trades.

What we did was fill every need we had. Catcher, check. Shortstop, check. Closer, check. Even a spot that we thought might not be addressed, starter.

I agree that we are counting on a lot of turn arounds and health, but I like the fact that our defense will be better. I also think that Cabrera comes out on fire after being here for an entire season. He struggled at first. All Everett has to do is make contact and hopefully Santiago will thrive again off the fact that he has little pressure (he hits better when he's not an everyday starter). Inge's average will go up slightly. I like everything we have done. Especially the low profile signings (Rincon, Williamson, Ni.) None of them may do anything but I thought they were prudent moves. Give those two chances to redeem themselves and take a look at someone new who could develop.

Overall, well done.

Exactly my sentiments.

JMDTM
01-28-2009, 04:47 PM
who is left on the market. if we could land one more BP guy id be happy. someone who may even cost a few more bucks. i dont care. just one more guy for competition. what about bringing in Randy Wolf. He would cost money, but it would make our rotation look a lot better. It would bump Nate, and Dtrain to the pen and make that better. Then the rotation would look good like this

Verlander
Bonderman
Jackson
Wolf
Galarraga

Pen would be between these guys: Zumaya, Seay, Rodney, DTrain, Nate, Dolsi, Rapada, Miner, Lyon, and Rincon. Thats a lot of choices.

dddtfan
01-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Without doing anything spectacular, we've addressed a lot of things.

We provided depth at starting pitching at the expense of a player that was either going to be in Toledo, or on the bench. The player acquired compares favorably in wins, innings pitched and most other statiscal categories with ANYBODY we threw out there last year.

We improved defense a lot. Laird is a better catcher than Inge, Inge is a better 3rd baseman than Guillen or whomever, Everett is a better SS than Renteria, and quite possibly, Guillen is a better LF than the disaster known as Thames.

Perhaps, we sacrifice some in offense, BUT I'm not so convinced, if Guillen is healthy and the Guillen we know, then we don't have Cleven/Joyce in the lineup everyday which should be an improvement, Laird is probably going to put up numbers offensively comparable to Rent, Inge with a slight improvement over last year will be about the same as Thames offensively maybe a few less homers but a .240 BA ins't out of reach, which leaves Everett which could be about the same as Inge was last year.

and then the bullpen...

we brought in A reliever who at least throws strikes, but more importantly, we provided ourselves some depth at the minor league level with people who've had major league experience. A HUGE problem for us last year was when the injuries occurred what did we have in the minors to call upon to fill in for us in a pinch...the answer to that my friends is NA-DA. We at least attempted to address that, and did so without breaking the bank, or throwing too many big contracts in the way of all the youth that is on the way.

Considering the constrained resources that we had to work with due to our over-inflated payroll, I think we did as good as possible considering we didn't really trade any of our "top flight" minor league prospects in doing so.

mark1125
01-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Without doing anything spectacular, we've addressed a lot of things.

We provided depth at starting pitching at the expense of a player that was either going to be in Toledo, or on the bench. The player acquired compares favorably in wins, innings pitched and most other statiscal categories with ANYBODY we threw out there last year.

We improved defense a lot. Laird is a better catcher than Inge, Inge is a better 3rd baseman than Guillen or whomever, Everett is a better SS than Renteria, and quite possibly, Guillen is a better LF than the disaster known as Thames.
Perhaps, we sacrifice some in offense, BUT I'm not so convinced, if Guillen is healthy and the Guillen we know, then we don't have Cleven/Joyce in the lineup everyday which should be an improvement, Laird is probably going to put up numbers offensively comparable to Rent, Inge with a slight improvement over last year will be about the same as Thames offensively maybe a few less homers but a .240 BA ins't out of reach, which leaves Everett which could be about the same as Inge was last year.

and then the bullpen...

we brought in A reliever who at least throws strikes, but more importantly, we provided ourselves some depth at the minor league level with people who've had major league experience. A HUGE problem for us last year was when the injuries occurred what did we have in the minors to call upon to fill in for us in a pinch...the answer to that my friends is NA-DA. We at least attempted to address that, and did so without breaking the bank, or throwing too many big contracts in the way of all the youth that is on the way.

Considering the constrained resources that we had to work with due to our over-inflated payroll, I think we did as good as possible considering we didn't really trade any of our "top flight" minor league prospects in doing so.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but mark my words.....Guillen will be a disatser in LF. He will be a butcher until he hurts himself which won't take too long playing LF.

Epic89
01-28-2009, 11:54 PM

Unacceptable addressing of the bullpen fiasco; I see no reason to think it'll be any better in 2009 seeings how Lyon = Jones. This season, I'm just switchin' the channel whenever the starter is done for the day. Dumbo was obviously snoozing as Omar Minaya put on a clinic of how you address a weak bullpen- you get one top closer to seal the deal, and another one to setup for him.

Sam_Quentin
01-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Guillen makes me nervous in left, he seems to play that position with a really lackadaisical attitude...even on routine flies im like christ, what the hell are you doing?!!

Bondomania
01-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Epic.. why would we over pay for a closer that could never ever be the same. History has shown that pitching that amount of innings isn't a good thing. Not to mention his velocity has seem a dip this last year. Also, you do realize that in order to get Putz we would have had to further gut the farm system that is already pretty depleted right now. Any team could have pretty much outbid us for Putz if they wanted to. We lacked the ammo to pull off a big deal. Finally, why would we spend a ton of money on closers considering our previous draft was focused on guys that can close?? We have two guys that are closer material in the minors right now in Fien and Perry. We have to have to develop our own talent and have faith in the farm system. If DD has shown anything, it is an ability to stock a farm system with tons of power arms.

mattd24
01-29-2009, 11:25 AM

This team had three jobs to do in the offseason...get faster, fix the bullpen and improve the defense.

They are no faster than they were last year, the bullpen has had ONE addition (Lyon) and the defense is a bit better - but Guillen is scary in LF.

The best addition in the offseason may end up being Edwin Jackson - and thats not saying much.

drewstantontime
01-29-2009, 01:24 PM
i thought it was a pretty decent offseason, they found a way to get inge back t third and get a solid catcher to toss in there. Lairds 1 great thing is his defense and his game calling skills. That move alone improved our defense at 2 very important positions. In Guillens early years, left field was his home and not alot of people realize that. And hes a gamer. Its a little shaky having him out there sure, but hey hes a left handed bat who can hit and with granderson running around out there, im sure Guillen will be fine. our bullpen could have used more, but we have alot of options for that pen now. Anyone who watches the tigers play on a regular basis knows that Rodney is far better in the setup roll or even the 7th inning guy. With him and hopefully a healthy Zumaya coming back our bullpen could ultimatly be lights out. Look at how good they were in 06, with less talent then then we do now. Lyon was a good pickup. I think we have improved the hell out of this team and im excited.

Rodney Stuckey
02-03-2009, 12:42 AM
I would rate it about a 7. Love the jackson trade. Getting Liard was a great pickup. Everet im more then worried about. But we will See with him. Lyon was a great pickup. One year deal and cheap. Hopefully we only have liard on our team come 2010. IE. PERRY Iorg

Epic89
02-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Tom Verducci is on the optimist's side, thinks the Tigers are the most likely candidate to be this year's Rays, the bounce back team. Unlike his idiot colleague Heyman and most of those morons on ESPN, Verducci knows what he's talking about and normally has some intelligent things to say.

I'm still not changing my stance though; the Tigers have had an abysmal offseason, and minimal change= minimal improvement. 77-80 wins and 4th in the AL Central.

Bondomania
02-03-2009, 11:37 PM
I don't think the Tigers can be called this years Rays. Just because the Rays developed faster than people expected and over-achieved. The Tigers have an immense amount of talent to begin with and under-achieved last year. I think that the Tigers will rebound and if Verlander and Bonderman are both back to their old form, then i think the Tigers could win the central. I think we have added defense, and that will help certainly. I think that if Inge and Everett do the small things at the plate then they won't kill rallies necessarily. I could be wrong, however, i think that IF Inge struggles early, then i think his playing time will get reduced with the emergence of Jeff Larish at 3B. I don't think Leyland will put up with it, and Inge could get reduced to a late game defensive replacement, especially if Larish shows that he can handle regular playing time and is producing at the plate.

Epic89
02-04-2009, 03:53 AM
We'll see if this "overachieve" word gets thrown around any more after the Rays win the World Series this year

Bondomania
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
its going to be tough. I am not saying they can't. But they were definitly ahead of schedule. They will definitly be up against some tough competition with Boston and NY making the moves they did.

dddtfan
02-06-2009, 02:02 PM
What did the Rays lose though...

Cliff Floyd and Edwin Jackson and an arm or two in the bullpen.

They have a lot of young arms, and now have Pat Burrell as their DH instead of Cliff Floyd. The Rays might not have been as "glam" this offseason, but they are better also.

They were the AL representative in the World Series last season, and already they have no pressure of continued expectation as the expectation ALWAYS falls to the RedSox and Yankees.

The Rays are young, hungry and STILL overlooked despite last season, that puts them in a great position.

mark1125
02-06-2009, 02:55 PM
What did the Rays lose though...

Cliff Floyd and Edwin Jackson and an arm or two in the bullpen.

They have a lot of young arms, and now have Pat Burrell as their DH instead of Cliff Floyd. The Rays might not have been as "glam" this offseason, but they are better also.

They were the AL representative in the World Series last season, and already they have no pressure of continued expectation as the expectation ALWAYS falls to the RedSox and Yankees.

The Rays are young, hungry and STILL overlooked despite last season, that puts them in a great position.

They lost Baldelli as well, but also picked up Joyce. They will also (presumably) benefit from a full year of David Price. An under rated signing was joe Nelson. Had a great season and they got him cheap.

I also think they may have another deal on the horizon involving Sonnanstine or Jeff Niemann to get more depth.

They may not win, but I see them being in the hunt all year.

Epic89
02-06-2009, 05:30 PM
The Rays play a great brand of baseball; they're all about the little things, they have outstanding chemistry. Every player feels he's important to the team's success. They pitch, they run, they play good D, they can hit the big fly when they have to, they do it all. Most of their players will only get better with time, and they're being criminally overlooked and that's why they'll go all the way this year. Tigers fans should envy this team.

Bondomania
02-06-2009, 07:08 PM
the same thing could have been said about the 2006 Tigers. They were young, came out of no where, and people were hungry. They pitched well, played better defense, and we could really slug. The thing though, is they are no longer going to catch teams off guard. Now they are the hunted, and it will be different for them since they made it to the WS. Not to mention the Rays don't have a great bullpen. Can Belfour repeat last season? I am going to go with probably not. They're bullpen i would put on the same level as ours. Percival can't stay healthy. Don't get me wrong, they are a good ball club. But they truly developed ahead of schedule. A lot of players all developed and made a major league contribution at the same time.. or some players had career years in some instances. I would still rate them as the 2nd or 3rd best team in the AL East. NY's rotation is way better with Sabathia, Burnett, Wang, Petitte, Chamberlan. Boston's rotation is comparable but i still give the edge to Boston with Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka, Penny and Buchholz/Wakefield/Masterson. Plus Boston's bullpen is probably the best in the East with Papelbon to close games out, Saito/okajima/masteron setting him up.