PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Live chat with Stephon Marbury

Gibby23
01-27-2009, 05:57 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=24817

Welcome to The Show! On Tuesday, we bring a big star to SportsNation when Starbury himself, Stephon Marbury, will talk about his NBA career, current contract issues and new clothing line.
Over his career, Marbury has averaged 19.7 points and 7.8 assists per game. His career assists per game average is 12th in NBA history and he is 22nd in total career assists with 6,396.

More recently, Marbury has been in the news as a result of his contract. He hasn't played in a game this season for the New York Knicks, however, the team has yet to buy out his contract. Marbury recently said that he would like to reunite with former teammate Kevin Garnett on the Boston Celtics.

Despite not playing basketball, Marbury has teamed with rapper Bow Wow to relaunch his shoeline, along with adding a clothing line. Starbury also got with Amazon to bring consumers stylish, high quality, affordable shoes and apparel online and starting in November 2009, consumers around the world can purchase Starbury products from the comfort of their homes.

Send in your questions now and join Marbury at 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday!

MORE
Previous chat guests | SportsNation index

Buzzmaster: (3:52 PM ET ) Stephon will be here soon!

Buzzmaster: (4:08 PM ET ) Sorry for the delay folks. We're tracking down Stephon right now.

Buzzmaster: (4:28 PM ET ) Stephon is here!

Stephon Marbury: (4:32 PM ET ) I am happy to explain to all my fans about the situation going on with the Knicks. To all you Knicks fan I still have a lot of love for you. I appreciate all the support you give me playing ball and with Starbury. With Starbury we are trying to do something for the community and make a product that everyone can afford. As far as the situation with the team, it is nothing personal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jimbo (Boston): Simple question: You comin to Boston?

Stephon Marbury: (4:32 PM ET ) If I can get out the deal, it is one of the teams I will be looking at.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris (Mebane, North Carolina): With the relaunch of your shoes and clothing wear, will your products still be available at a local retail store and for the same price?

Stephon Marbury: (4:34 PM ET ) Yes we still have the same price at $14.92 and we have three lines, the signatures lines which is no more than $24.98 or less. We also have e-commerce, so anyone can access it all over the world. We are national and international. I am still working on going with Brick and Boarders and working with other retailers as we speak.

Eddie (Montreal): Hey Steph, what's it been like playing for the Knicks these past few years? Was it as much of a circus as it seemed to outsiders?

Stephon Marbury: (4:35 PM ET ) It was a difficult situation the last few years, playing under all the media hype. Playing basketball at MSG is a lot of fun when you are winning, but when you are not, it's not fun.

Joe (CT): Why have the Knicks' struggled so much the past few years? Is it management, ownership, the players?

Stephon Marbury: (4:37 PM ET ) I think collectively we never got on the same page. When you look at organizations that work, everyone is on the same page as far as what they are doing. For Knicks fans I hope they get on track and become the best team they can be.

Peter: What was it like playing for Larry Brown?

Stephon Marbury: (4:38 PM ET ) It was tough because he demanded a lot. He is very hard on his PGs. Sometimes dealing with him off the court, with him speaking to the media about players, was difficult. But as I got older I learned he did not mean any harm and now I can accept it more than I did back then.

Alvaro (chile): Stephon, would you consider going overseas with a big contract even if Boston wants you, but for less money?

Stephon Marbury: (4:39 PM ET ) I want to play in the NBA, so overseas will have to wait. When I spoke about playing overseas I meant going over there when I was finished in the NBA.

Berk (NYC, NY): Steph, Why won't you consider taking a buyout and leave about 25% of your remaining contract on the table (as most players negotiating a buyout do)? Shouldn't you have to take a cut in pay so you can sign with the team you want to play for? And don't you think you are hurting your value in the free agent market?

Stephon Marbury: (4:41 PM ET ) I cannot say about my free agent value, but I think other teams know what I can do. The reason I am not taking 25% less is because I signed a contract. I did not come here saying I wanted to part ways with the team, they chose to do this. I do not feel like I should give my money back to them. They are the ones who want to go in another direction.

Mikey NYC: What was up with your trip out to LA in December to watch the Knicks play the Lakers? Were you trying to send a message to the team? And if so what was the message?

Stephon Marbury: (4:42 PM ET ) I just wanted to see the game and enjoy it. I am still a Knicks fan at heart.

John - Lowell, MA: Hey stephon, if you came to Boston, seeing that the numbers 3 and 33 are retired (DJ and Bird) what would you want to wear?

Stephon Marbury: (4:42 PM ET ) I have to find out what numbers are available.

Jason (Philly): What was the general attitude in the locker room towards Isaih?

Stephon Marbury: (4:43 PM ET ) I guess guys saved face.

Derek (Tucson, Az): If you were asked today to return to knicks and play for them. Would you play?

Stephon Marbury: (4:44 PM ET ) They chose their direction and I am trying to move on and end the relationship, becasue D'Antoni wanted the relationship ended from the start of the year.

Randy (NY): Is Miami and option if Boston doesn't work out?

Stephon Marbury: (4:44 PM ET ) Miami is an option, yes.

JB ( Raleigh, Nc): What is the proudest moment in your basketball career?

Stephon Marbury: (4:45 PM ET ) I have two: 1) My high school championship and 2) Getting drafted.

Matt (MN): Do you regret the way things ended in Minnesota? What could you and KG have done the past 10 years if you had stayed together?

Stephon Marbury: (4:47 PM ET ) I do not regret what happened and I do not think things went badly. I just chose not to re-sign. When I told the owner I was not going to re-sign I did it so they could go get a new PG. I do not know what could have happened. I could assume the best would have happened, but that would be just me assuming.

Nick (Orlando, FL): How do you want to be remembered when you have retired? Do you feel that this contract mess will harm your legacy?

Stephon Marbury: (4:48 PM ET ) I would not say it would harm it, because if I go to another team and win some titles my legacy would be based on that. I have a lot of basketball left inside of me. People may think I am done, but I have a lot of basketball left.

Scott (Austin, TX): The rap on you is that you have been a selfish player. How would you respond to that comment? How do you think your teammates would respond?

Stephon Marbury: (4:51 PM ET ) I do not know why people would say that. I do not shoot the ball 25 times a night. I have averaged 8 assists throughout my career. I was always the person that was basically the blame guy and I understand that comes from being the highest paid player. But look at the number of shots per game taken in my career and you will see it is not that many. So I do not believe I am a selfish player. I go on the court to win and that is it.

Brandan (Rolla, MO): What would be the ideal conclusion of this season for you personally such as playing where?

Stephon Marbury: (4:52 PM ET ) To get out of my deal, go to another team and win a title.

Lionel NYC: Do you think you'll get into the hall of fame?

Stephon Marbury: (4:53 PM ET ) I do not know. You never know what can happen. I can go to another team and win a title or two. You never know what is going to happen in the future, that is why you must allow your presence to be bright.

kevin(la,ca): do you still think you are the best point guard?

Stephon Marbury: (4:54 PM ET ) I've got to get back on the court before I make a statement like that.

Jonathan (Boston): Have you been talking to KG at all? Or Sam? Do they want you to come to Boston?

Stephon Marbury: (4:55 PM ET ) I have not spoken to any of them. But Kevin made a comment on ESPN saying that he would not mind me coming to play in Boston.

Parnell (Whitman, Ma): Have you ever thought of playing for my Lakers

Stephon Marbury: (4:55 PM ET ) I would never rule out playing for the Lakers, but their roster is full. I think they are set.

Adam (Chicago): If you could play with any one player, not considering rest of team, who would it be and why?

Stephon Marbury: (4:56 PM ET ) Kobe Bryant, because he is the best player on the planet.

BTownTeamsRKing
01-27-2009, 05:59 PM
looks obvious that if he is out of his deal, he is comming to Boston.

Frrrrank!!!
01-27-2009, 06:05 PM
looks obvious that if he is out of his deal, he is comming to Boston.

IF he gets out of it.

Gup
01-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Man Boston is going to be stacked!! Starbury is going to Bean town y'all

just as long as you guys beat the Lakers, i dont care lol

ALQ20
01-27-2009, 06:14 PM
$$$$$$$ thats all he cares about. ooyy vveeyy

Ballistix
01-27-2009, 06:25 PM

Sounds like someone still sore about the 81 pts. Kobe put on the Raptors. Its been three years, get over it.

Morgan
01-27-2009, 06:30 PM

We don't need Starbury to beat the Lakers as we proved last year and, he's not coming to Boston anyway. Marbury said all the Knicks wanted was a 3 million dollar kickback and he refused to give it to them. What's the difference between 1 million and 3 million when your contract is 21 million? He's greedy and I don't even want him here.

Giants27
01-27-2009, 09:01 PM
We don't need Starbury to beat the Lakers as we proved last year and, he's not coming to Boston anyway. Marbury said all the Knicks wanted was a 3 million dollar kickback and he refused to give it to them. What's the difference between 1 million and 3 million when your contract is 21 million? He's greedy and I don't even want him here.

Yea last year......

Kakaroach
01-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Its true that Boston doesn't have the depth they had last year, but Stephon Marbury is a joke. Its such a waste of talent. He's not willing to take $3 mill off the table? Please you make three times as much as your worth, "Starbury". He's a good player, but isn't a guy like Kevin Garnett or Kobe bryant who's willing to do anything to win.

still1ballin
01-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Go to Boston!

Trouble87
01-27-2009, 11:16 PM
His answers wasnt half bad... i wonder how many times he rehearsed that Q&A before they actually went on air. Marbury is a gamer... he says the right things to get what he wants

Good PG who used to be one of the best in the NBA talent wise.... knicks need to let him go so he can fall flat on his face. boston signs him & they will get outed in the first round of the playoffs.

he disrupts team chemistry & kills teams

DocUSN
01-27-2009, 11:34 PM
I dont say this a lot, but I agree with Marbury, why should he give back a ton of money, the knicks want him out, they dont plan on playing him, I wouldnt give back a dime, worst case scenerio, id work out all year collect my 20 mil and sign with boston during the offseason.

phoenix_bladen
01-27-2009, 11:36 PM
i don't disagree with marbury

i would think the same too

this is a team that shitted on my face and everyone hates me i wouldn't give anything back to them as well

and i AM a knick fan

i think walsh is doing a good job but at the same time mike D is to blame for benching him and just telling him to get off the team

i think they could have at least let him play 20 games and see if he was useless or not and then send him home

no need to do it at the beginning of the season.

phoenix_bladen
01-27-2009, 11:37 PM
if i were the knicks i wouldn't even try to buy him out just let him sit at home and try to trade him

if i can't i will just waive him after march 1st

at least he still gets his 21 million

Frrrrank!!!
01-28-2009, 12:16 AM
I dont say this a lot, but I agree with Marbury, why should he give back a ton of money, the knicks want him out, they dont plan on playing him, I wouldnt give back a dime, worst case scenerio, id work out all year collect my 20 mil and sign with boston during the offseason.

I think he wants to play the rest of the year with Boston at min contract and prove he is worth another big contract after this year. Boston won't be able to afford him if he wants anything more than the min.

nygiants242
01-28-2009, 12:17 AM

Wow.. :pity:

mjt20mik
01-28-2009, 01:19 AM
Sounds like someone still sore about the 81 pts. Kobe put on the Raptors. Its been three years, get over it.

Your acting no better than how he did. :pity:

If he does go to Boston, it would definitely change up things in the East. There is no guarantee that Boston is going to face LA, in the finals. Both conferences have really good teams, that are all playing at the same level.

If I didn't know any better, I would have responded with, your just sore cause Boston blew you out by 39 in game 6. But I do, and that's just irrelevant now, cause the Lakers are playing great ball.

Frrrrank!!!
01-28-2009, 01:23 AM
Wow.. :pity:

I take it you lost a sig bet?