PDA

View Full Version : Bucs Show Interest in Luis Gonzalez

DieHardColtsfan
01-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Pirates Interested In Luis Gonzalez
By Tim Dierkes [January 27 at 1:02pm CST]
According to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

The Pirates are pursuing free-agent outfielder Luis Gonzalez, with their most recent discussion having occurred late last week.

He adds that two other clubs are also pursuing Gonzalez for a fourth outfielder type role. Kovacevic says the Bucs are eyeing other free agent outfielders as well. One player not on their radar is Kris Benson.

www.mlbtraderumors.com

sep11ie
01-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Thats a nice, low risk option. I think they should just go for Abreu or Anderson though if they are going that route.

Highcheese4U
01-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Yeah i really like Abreu for our team but trust me- its not going to happen because he wants too much money and our cheap owner isn't going to entertain it..

MooseWithFleas
01-27-2009, 07:44 PM
It would be interesting to see if Luis can put together one final run as a major leaguer.

He is still capable of hitting .270 with a dozen homers, and his eye at the plate certainly hasn't diminished. I don't know if he can play everyday though anymore, dude is 41 and looks 61

tooch
01-27-2009, 08:13 PM
He will do good things for those young players

Tragedy
01-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Thats a nice, low risk option. I think they should just go for Abreu or Anderson though if they are going that route.
Abreu isn't bad or anything, but his price tag is still probably out of his range, and I'm sure he'd want a guaranteed 500 at bats, whereas Gonzalez could probably be had for fewer at bats, and of course a cheaper price tag.

sep11ie
01-28-2009, 11:39 AM
^True, but he did just lower his demand... But I also doubt, even then, that it would be a match.

Highcheese4U
01-28-2009, 05:36 PM
..duh! yeah its not a match for us because our owner is too CHEAP!! Bobby lowered his expectations to $10-11M/yr for a 3-yr deal but trust me- even then we wont get him.

Sprtsfan500
02-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Gonzalez wont get signed after they signed Hinske and besides, this would just be another example of bring in a player 4 years past his prime to be a stop-gap solution with the idea of him elevating his stock to be dealt in July. Same goes for the Pedro Martinez rumors, Pedro is 3 years past his prime and not worth the money for an ailing shoulder. Gonzo would be nothing more than a locker room guy and they could have saved 2 million and brought back Doug which wont happen either now that Hinske is signed.