PDA

View Full Version : Give Frank Wren a grade?

chuck.mcmillan
01-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Give Frank Wren a grade. I say B right now. If we can sign Dunn and Ohman I say an A. Am I off on this? If we were to add these 2 along with the other offseason transactions we've made I believe we could add 20 wins this season.

ugafan
01-26-2009, 10:54 PM
I'd also give him a solid B as of now.

jmtapia
01-26-2009, 10:59 PM
^^^ i would say a solid B as well....

NickSC07
01-26-2009, 11:33 PM
I'd give him a C+ as of right now. If he gets Dunn or Robets as well as Ohman, I'd give him an A.

Jon93405
01-27-2009, 12:42 AM
He's acquired 3 starting pitcher arms this offseason. That's ridiculously hard to do. The offseason is far from over, but the daunting task of filling a rotation that had one starting pitcher is complete. I give him a B so far... but it can go up.

It would have been a B+ if he hadn't offered 5 years to Burnett, but he did and I think that was a mistake. Derek Lowe made more sense all along and we ended up with the right guy, but he pursued the wrong one at first.

BRAVE KID
01-27-2009, 01:25 AM
Considering all the drama that occured so far in the off-season for him, he is pretty dang close to an A even without the bat yet.

rtgthree
01-27-2009, 01:41 AM
I give Wren a grade C. If you take a multiple choice test with 100 questions, but you only answer the first 70, you will still make a C even if you get all seventy right. That's how I see this offseason: Wren has done awesome so far, and I could hardly ask for more. But if he doesn't address the outfield properly, he is leaving a huge portion of his test blank, and it won't matter much how well he did on the pitching portion of the exam. He's still got time left and I have full confidence he's an A student. But the test is not over yet and if he turned it in now, he'd be stuck with a C.

jdiddy24
01-27-2009, 02:40 AM
I give Wren a grade C. If you take a multiple choice test with 100 questions, but you only answer the first 70, you will still make a C even if you get all seventy right. That's how I see this offseason: Wren has done awesome so far, and I could hardly ask for more. But if he doesn't address the outfield properly, he is leaving a huge portion of his test blank, and it won't matter much how well he did on the pitching portion of the exam. He's still got time left and I have full confidence he's an A student. But the test is not over yet and if he turned it in now, he'd be stuck with a C.

beautiful analogy lol... I agree though... all the pitching doesnt help much if our starting OF is Diaz, J.Anderson, Frenchy....

Bravefan29
01-27-2009, 03:27 AM
Just from his rotation moves he gets a B+ in my book without a doubt if he lands Roberts/Dunn or Swisher he goes to an A+ in my book.

BravoFan3736
01-27-2009, 06:23 AM
I would agree with a C- atm....Adding a LF Power Bat additionally B- or AJ to Minor League Contract/LF Power Bat B+... or AJ to Minor League Contract/LF Power BatSigning/Signing Ohman A-...

Agree if NO Bat is added than C- since we won't win many 1 run games if we are losing 3 to 1-2 when the Starting rotation give you a quality start....Either we need a Roberts (Leadoff guy) or Dunn/Abreu/Swisher/Ankiel (My preferred Order of options)....Or this could be season of I wished we had....that Bat during the season when MAC/CHIPPER are out at least 25+ games and we keep losing alot of close games....

Getter DUNN FW Dunn/Abreu 1/8

noname part5
01-27-2009, 06:40 AM
I would give him a C- too, unless he gets someone to help that lineup.

With this lineup I doubt we would be able to compete with the Mets and Phillies, even the Marlins

Chipper
01-27-2009, 08:54 AM
B until Adam Dunn, Andruw Jones (minimum), Brian Roberts, and Will Ohman are Braves, then it's an A++++ .

littleknighty
01-27-2009, 10:09 AM
I would give him a B+ right now. He has done well managing the money. Three solid pitchers and still money for a player like Dunn. The best part is the farm is still intact.

baseballislife7
01-27-2009, 10:39 AM
B

A_Brave_Pack
01-27-2009, 11:01 AM
This is really a tougher question than simply doling out an 'A' or 'C'. In order to be fair, I think it needs to be broken down into sections and then averaged together. I'll give it a shot, even though I'm terrible at math to begin with and my head might explode...

Starting Pitching: Given the fact that going into the off-season, our rotation looked something like this: Jurrjens, Campillo, Morton, Reyes, Parr, I think the acquisition of Vazquez from the White Sox was enough to raise Wren's grade considerably. However, the FA signings of Kenshin Kawakami and Derek Lowe were HUGE. Wren still does lose a few points for the Smoltz Situation, even though I agree with him, I still think it was a bit of a PR hiccup. Also, you can't give him full credit for either the Jake Peavy trade or the fact that he was willing to throw a ton of money to an injured pitcher in AJ Burnett. That being said even if we do not sign another player (Glavine counts here) to fill out our rotation, I like the crop of guys we have to battle for the 5th spot. OVERALL GRADE: B+

Bullpen: This is one aspect that has been overlooked a little by Wren, but rightfully so because our bullpen has been fairly solid over the last two years. He made two very good acquisitions with the Waiver Claim of Eric O'Flaherty and Boone Logan to serve as LOOGYs, to buffer the loss of Will Ohman. That being said, it still seems possible that Ohman could resign with the Braves for around 2-3mil a year, which would be like bonus points at this stage of the game. Wren avoided arbitration with Mike Gonzalez, and has left the rest of the pen well enough alone. This could easily be given an Incomplete at this moment though, because I am curious to see how Wren will solve the logjam at the MR role with the likes of Carlyle/Bennett/Campillo/Acosta/Boyer/Stockman/Marek/Redmond still fighting for PT. OVERALL GRADE: A-

Lineup: I'll be the first to admit that I am a bit of a homer when it comes to the Braves, always looking on the bright side, saying "<Player Name> really isn't as bad as everyone is saying." However, the lineup remains virtually untouched since the offseason. Luckily for Wren, many of the big name FA are still available, including in LF where there is a gaping hole to fill. I do like Wren's approach of stating that the Braves can wait until after ST to solve this problem, because it keeps his leverage, but even Wren must look at that vacant spot that is in the immense shadow of Hamburger Hank at Turner Field and realize that something must be done. All of the players who we have inked so far are 4th OF and Utility guys, so they don't count towards my grading here. We are still heading towards Arbitration with three of our eight starting lineup, Kotchman, Johnson, and Francoeur. Wren must settle these cases before the Arbitration Hearing, because I believe we will lose two (Kotchman, Johnson) of the three cases easily, and may even lose Francoeur's case based on previous seasons. The Furcal Debacle must go against Wren here too, even if we had a verbal agreement and Furcal's agents went behind Wren's back. We have a very talented core of young players, but the Braves must address the holes that do still exist in the lineup. OVERALL GRADE: D

Bench: This has been one of the shining moments for Frank Wren. He has helper the Braves put together a fantastic bench over the last two years. The acquisitions, and resigning, of both Omar Infante and Greg Norton were excellent. Martin Prado has turned out well too. Wren addressed the biggest need on the bench by signing David Ross to a two year deal. This signing will allow McCann a couple of more days off during the season, without being an automatic out that Corky Miller was. It will again be worth watching to see which 4th OF players we keep on the ML level, but if I had a say, I think the correct answer is Josh Anderson and Matt Diaz. Anderson provides dynamic speed and Diaz has a knack for putting the ball in play. The bench is a very solid group, and will be made stronger by the acquisition of a starting LF. OVERALL GRADE: A

Starting Pitching: B+
Bullpen: A-
Lineup: D
Bench: A

OVERALL GRADE: B+

Okay, there is my quick breakdown of each 'position'. I'm sorry if it was long-winded, but I hope that at least some of you find it worth reading, if not, let me know, and I will quit posting such long messages.

Slash
01-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Considering all the drama that occured so far in the off-season for him, he is pretty dang close to an A even without the bat yet.

Oh man, I posted this same question a couple weeks ago...

Remember? :)

NickSC07
01-27-2009, 01:56 PM
This is really a tougher question than simply doling out an 'A' or 'C'. In order to be fair, I think it needs to be broken down into sections and then averaged together. I'll give it a shot, even though I'm terrible at math to begin with and my head might explode...

Starting Pitching: Given the fact that going into the off-season, our rotation looked something like this: Jurrjens, Campillo, Morton, Reyes, Parr, I think the acquisition of Vazquez from the White Sox was enough to raise Wren's grade considerably. However, the FA signings of Kenshin Kawakami and Derek Lowe were HUGE. Wren still does lose a few points for the Smoltz Situation, even though I agree with him, I still think it was a bit of a PR hiccup. Also, you can't give him full credit for either the Jake Peavy trade or the fact that he was willing to throw a ton of money to an injured pitcher in AJ Burnett. That being said even if we do not sign another player (Glavine counts here) to fill out our rotation, I like the crop of guys we have to battle for the 5th spot. OVERALL GRADE: B+

Bullpen: This is one aspect that has been overlooked a little by Wren, but rightfully so because our bullpen has been fairly solid over the last two years. He made two very good acquisitions with the Waiver Claim of Eric O'Flaherty and Boone Logan to serve as LOOGYs, to buffer the loss of Will Ohman. That being said, it still seems possible that Ohman could resign with the Braves for around 2-3mil a year, which would be like bonus points at this stage of the game. Wren avoided arbitration with Mike Gonzalez, and has left the rest of the pen well enough alone. This could easily be given an Incomplete at this moment though, because I am curious to see how Wren will solve the logjam at the MR role with the likes of Carlyle/Bennett/Campillo/Acosta/Boyer/Stockman/Marek/Redmond still fighting for PT. OVERALL GRADE: A-

Lineup: I'll be the first to admit that I am a bit of a homer when it comes to the Braves, always looking on the bright side, saying "<Player Name> really isn't as bad as everyone is saying." However, the lineup remains virtually untouched since the offseason. Luckily for Wren, many of the big name FA are still available, including in LF where there is a gaping hole to fill. I do like Wren's approach of stating that the Braves can wait until after ST to solve this problem, because it keeps his leverage, but even Wren must look at that vacant spot that is in the immense shadow of Hamburger Hank at Turner Field and realize that something must be done. All of the players who we have inked so far are 4th OF and Utility guys, so they don't count towards my grading here. We are still heading towards Arbitration with three of our eight starting lineup, Kotchman, Johnson, and Francoeur. Wren must settle these cases before the Arbitration Hearing, because I believe we will lose two (Kotchman, Johnson) of the three cases easily, and may even lose Francoeur's case based on previous seasons. The Furcal Debacle must go against Wren here too, even if we had a verbal agreement and Furcal's agents went behind Wren's back. We have a very talented core of young players, but the Braves must address the holes that do still exist in the lineup. OVERALL GRADE: D

Bench: This has been one of the shining moments for Frank Wren. He has helper the Braves put together a fantastic bench over the last two years. The acquisitions, and resigning, of both Omar Infante and Greg Norton were excellent. Martin Prado has turned out well too. Wren addressed the biggest need on the bench by signing David Ross to a two year deal. This signing will allow McCann a couple of more days off during the season, without being an automatic out that Corky Miller was. It will again be worth watching to see which 4th OF players we keep on the ML level, but if I had a say, I think the correct answer is Josh Anderson and Matt Diaz. Anderson provides dynamic speed and Diaz has a knack for putting the ball in play. The bench is a very solid group, and will be made stronger by the acquisition of a starting LF. OVERALL GRADE: A

Starting Pitching: B+
Bullpen: A-
Lineup: D
Bench: A

OVERALL GRADE: B+

Okay, there is my quick breakdown of each 'position'. I'm sorry if it was long-winded, but I hope that at least some of you find it worth reading, if not, let me know, and I will quit posting such long messages.

Good post, I agree with your assessments (sp?).

vtgriff09
01-27-2009, 02:48 PM
I would go with a C- if we are talking about just this offseason. Many baseball people are unsure if Kenshin Kawakami is going to be a successful MLB pitcher (don't be confused if he has initial success due to people learning to adjust to him, his worth will be determined in his last 2 years of his contract. The goal of the offseason was to get to aces...or front of the pack pitchers. I really don't see Javy or KK as being a better option than Jair. As for Lowe, I don't think there are many people out there that would consider Lowe an ACE. Now that he's a Brave, we continue to focus in on him being good, but this is a guy that has always been the 2 or 3 man for each team he's pitched for....it would be interesting to see 2 things: 1- how does he do as the teams ACE, and 2- will he still be a quality pitcher in his 3rd and 4th year of the contract when he's 39 and 40 yrs old?

I think you could logically move the offseason up to a B if he goes out and gets a good bat in FA or via trade.....if he's able to get 2 quality bats then he's truely made a late run at an A-. As far as improvement goes, he's been solid.....as far as achieving the true goals that he set out to achieve, it's still tbd. I think not getting Burnett was the best move of the offseason, but not getting Peavy and Furcal has definately hurt this offseason some. Atleast FW has not mortgaged the entire future to get what we have got so far. He wouldn't

vtgriff09
01-27-2009, 02:50 PM
I was ending by saying he wouldn't be amiss if he decided to give up one or two of our
2nd tier prospects to go get a quality bat that could help us out for the long run. Ideally, this would be a rh/power hitter or a super speedster that does a good job of getting on base and creating scoring situations.....both would be great.

BRAVE KID
01-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Oh man, I posted this same question a couple weeks ago...

Remember? :)Nope. I will say that this question sounded familar..but you didn't post it. unless you are referring to that thread I deleted, which had nothing to do with this.

THE_FLASH_21
01-27-2009, 06:04 PM
(C) because he let Icon Smoltz get away and not getting Peavy... But if he gets one more OF bat maybe a B+

bravesfan22
01-27-2009, 07:17 PM
I think he has made some great moves, but some of the moves he tried to make would have been bad for the team. Signing furcal to play second would have been a waste of a great arm, and any trade that gives up yunel is a mistake. as my friend so aptly says, "escobar is the truth", and he could be a franchise player for a long time. even if he got Peavy it would have been a waste, because lets face it: the braves probably aren't gonna be a world series team for several years. He shoulda signed Smoltz because they owed it to him and he's well worth the risk. Lowe and Kawakami were great signs, but I think his most underappreciated move of the offseason was getting Vazquez. I think hes gonna do great in the national league with a manager like Bobby Cox who always stands behinds his players. I agree with rtgthree that he still has work to do, and i hope he fills in his test with brian roberts and griffey.

Lady's Man
01-27-2009, 07:24 PM
depends on the final verdict on what went down with peavy. if it was because we didnt add flowers of jeff locke, then his grade gets lowered.

Slash
01-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Nope. I will say that this question sounded familar..but you didn't post it. unless you are referring to that thread I deleted, which had nothing to do with this.

Oh geez, lighten up dude. :)

ecyrb912
01-27-2009, 11:37 PM

this is a good analogy, but on a 100 question multiple choice test, every question is worth equal value, but this isnt so when youre talking about offseason moves. the braves needed frontline starting pitching as well as a loogy, but derek lowe is much more valuable than logan or oflarehty. and i dont see the LF problem as glaring as the need for starting pitchers was.

the only problem he really hasnt adressed is left field, which remains to be seen, so my grade would go down as incomplete, but if spring training started today id give him a B.

rtgthree
01-27-2009, 11:49 PM
this is a good analogy, but on a 100 question multiple choice test, every question is worth equal value, but this isnt so when youre talking about offseason moves. the braves needed frontline starting pitching as well as a loogy, but derek lowe is much more valuable than logan or oflarehty. and i dont see the LF problem as glaring as the need for starting pitchers was.

the only problem he really hasnt adressed is left field, which remains to be seen, so my grade would go down as incomplete, but if spring training started today id give him a B.

See, I disagree there, because I think left field is just as big of a need as the rotation was. Why? Our lineup is very weak right now. We do have two big boppers, but both are limited in terms of playing time (McCann by being a catcher and Chipper by being injury-prone). Johnson and Escobar are very good regulars for their respective positions, but neither is a world-beater on the overall offensive stage. I like Casey Kotchman, but let's face it, he's a below-average offensive first baseman (even if he does bounce back to an .800 OPS). Francoeur is a big giant question mark in right field.

I think Wren still needs to pick up another contender for the center field job (ahem, Andruw Jones), and a very real big bat for left field. Even with a big bat in left, our lineup still won't match up with the Phillies or Mets, but we can hope our pitching will give us an advantage. Right now, though, our lineup is really, really bad, and it will just drown (or more accurately, dehydrate) our pitching by its inability to score. He desperately needs a left field masher, or IMO all his work will be pretty much for naught. This lineup is so weak as currently constructed, that we REALLY need something.

ecyrb912
01-28-2009, 12:09 AM
See, I disagree there, because I think left field is just as big of a need as the rotation was. Why? Our lineup is very weak right now. We do have two big boppers, but both are limited in terms of playing time (McCann by being a catcher and Chipper by being injury-prone). Johnson and Escobar are very good regulars for their respective positions, but neither is a world-beater on the overall offensive stage. I like Casey Kotchman, but let's face it, he's a below-average offensive first baseman (even if he does bounce back to an .800 OPS). Francoeur is a big giant question mark in right field.

I think Wren still needs to pick up another contender for the center field job (ahem, Andruw Jones), and a very real big bat for left field. Even with a big bat in left, our lineup still won't match up with the Phillies or Mets, but we can hope our pitching will give us an advantage. Right now, though, our lineup is really, really bad, and it will just drown (or more accurately, dehydrate) our pitching by its inability to score. He desperately needs a left field masher, or IMO all his work will be pretty much for naught. This lineup is so weak as currently constructed, that we REALLY need something.

all i was trying to point out was that there are varying degrees of importance for every task, and at the start of the season, everyone was focused on starting pitching and left field was on the back burner. and you think that LF was just as big of a problem as the rotation? javy and lowe are going to do more for us this year then any available OFer, and thats not even including the production that could come from kawakami, but who knows how he will transition so ill leave that one alone. now that starting pitching is taken care, left field is now the most important, which i think makes it seem like a bigger problem than it is.

also, who that has been discussed in the forum will classify better than marginal? adam dunn maybe, but many people sour on him because of his high K rate and well below average defense. andruw jones definitely wont solidify any position until spring training, but would be a good signing so i agree with you on that. i just dont see any logical way to get a "very real big bat" for LF aside from dunn.

wren has done very well for what seemed to be a disaster of an offseason.

BRAVE KID
01-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Oh geez, lighten up dude. :)just stating what is, I'm good.

GLASSMAN
01-28-2009, 01:10 AM
At this point I'd give Mr. Wren a B for his acquisitions of the new Braves to date. The talent level is not the only issue here but how they fit into the relatively short term plans. It seems his plan has been to field a very respectable pitching staff consisting mainly of good young arms and he has done that quite well. He's protected JJ who I think will be ace material in a year or so by surrounding him with what I believe is an above average middle of the rotation. Lowe fits into our plans for the same reason. By the time he's ready to move on our current crop of minor league pitching will have begun to bear fruit.

The big question mark remains to be the offense. I'd love to see a born again Frenchy and AJ patrolling the outfield but it would be against all odds that both would come alive offensively. Not impossible, just unlikely. We really do need that big bat in left but not one that hurts us defensively. I'm hoping for that unexpected surprise that makes all of the off season angst a distant memory and deserves an A+ with a gold star to boot. Come on Frank, show us what you got.

vtgriff09
01-28-2009, 08:52 AM
rtg3, i completely agree with your assessment of the offseason and the weakness of our lineup.....too many question marks, and i think that if we are going to spend all of this money to acquire pitching (and older pitching at that) we might as well make a run at it with our offense if our pitching only has about 2 to 3 years left of what we currently have.

BravoFan3736
01-28-2009, 09:37 AM
rtg3, i completely agree with your assessment of the offseason and the weakness of our lineup.....too many question marks, and i think that if we are going to spend all of this money to acquire pitching (and older pitching at that) we might as well make a run at it with our offense if our pitching only has about 2 to 3 years left of what we currently have.

They way I see it, FW should spend the money on guy like Dunn and Ohman for 2-3 yr deals with a Chipper extention we could have a solid and legit run towards the playoffs. We have the core in place and with a gamble on a Dunn could put use in position to at least compete for a wild card spot and still not give any of our high end prospects which would be in full swing in 11'....

If just HOPE that a French, AJ, or Diaz/BJones will have career years to put use in contention it just not going to happen. There are always risks involved making moves ...lately we have been trading young talent to when NOW approach but why not take advantage of a weak market and spend the $$ on a Dunn and Ohman for 2/3 years and keep your high ceiling talent to develope and properly be ready by 11'. This seems like the approach we should be taking and could sustain winning season with plugging in the talent when they are ready for the show...

FW please Getter DUNN 1-2/6-8/12-16....Sign Ohman 2-3/6-9...AJ to LM..Call it an off season...

rtgthree
01-28-2009, 05:35 PM
all i was trying to point out was that there are varying degrees of importance for every task, and at the start of the season, everyone was focused on starting pitching and left field was on the back burner. and you think that LF was just as big of a problem as the rotation?

Just because they focused on the rotation first doesn't mean it's more important. The outfield market has been much slower to develop, so they've waited. Neither is more important than the other; all the pitching in the world can't win with our horrific lineup, and all the hitting in the world wouldn't have been able to win behind a starting rotation of Jurrjens, Campillo, and "staff."

javy and lowe are going to do more for us this year then any available OFer

Not necessarily. Vazquez and Lowe are both projected to contribute 3-4 WAR. There are several outfielders available who could easily match that figure. Not to mention, Lowe and Vazquez's contributions will mean absolutely nothing with the lineup we have now.

now that starting pitching is taken care, left field is now the most important, which i think makes it seem like a bigger problem than it is.

No, it's a HUGE problem. You run Brandon Jones out there every day alongside Gregor Blanco and Jeff Francoeur, considering that you're already below-average at first base and your two big bats will be glad just to reach 600 PAs, and you've got yourself some kind of anemic offense.

also, who that has been discussed in the forum will classify better than marginal?

Lots of guys. Dunn, Brian Roberts, Ryan Ludwick, Xavier Nady, Nick Swisher, Jermaine Dye. There are plenty of worthwhile options on the market. That's why Wren's waited so long to choose one.

wren has done very well for what seemed to be a disaster of an offseason.

I don't deny that. But he's not finished, not by a long shot.

jmtapia
01-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Lots of guys. Dunn, Brian Roberts, Ryan Ludwick, Xavier Nady, Nick Swisher, Jermaine Dye. There are plenty of worthwhile options on the market. That's why Wren's waited so long to choose one.

With the recent money figures coming out it seems like Roberts, Dye and most likely Dunn are all out of our budge. Like ive said before i think we will end up trading with the Yanks.

BravoFan3736
01-28-2009, 08:22 PM
With the recent money figures coming out it seems like Roberts, Dye and most likely Dunn are all out of our budge. Like ive said before i think we will end up trading with the Yanks.

I agree, though we would have to overpay to get Swisher with cashman even though swisher had an down season which you think his value would be lower. Swisher has more value for the yanks than the braves with Matsui/Damon Injury risks and both will be FA in 10' including Nady. This will leave unproven gang OF of Gardner, Melky and Jackson. Cashman will be wanting Gorkys in any deal if it's for Swisher or Nady. The Yanks still need a Quality BP Arm, Utility Guy, and High Ceiling OF Prospect which we could meet in deal for Swisher. I still think a Package of Gorkys + Boyer/Acosta + Prado/JoJo/Morton who be more than enough to this deal done. With swisher he will be getting payed 5.3 Mil in 09' which leaves around 1.5 mil left. I just hope that we have alittle more payroll flexibility to add a Ohman/Cruz 2-3/6-9 to add the final touches to the BP. Add AJ to Minor League deal and tell Glavine he can accept a minor league deal or play else where/retire.

ecyrb912
01-29-2009, 04:36 PM
I agree, though we would have to overpay to get Swisher with cashman even though swisher had an down season which you think his value would be lower. Swisher has more value for the yanks than the braves with Matsui/Damon Injury risks and both will be FA in 10' including Nady. This will leave unproven gang OF of Gardner, Melky and Jackson. Cashman will be wanting Gorkys in any deal if it's for Swisher or Nady. The Yanks still need a Quality BP Arm, Utility Guy, and High Ceiling OF Prospect which we could meet in deal for Swisher. I still think a Package of Gorkys + Boyer/Acosta + Prado/JoJo/Morton who be more than enough to this deal done. With swisher he will be getting payed 5.3 Mil in 09' which leaves around 1.5 mil left. I just hope that we have alittle more payroll flexibility to add a Ohman/Cruz 2-3/6-9 to add the final touches to the BP. Add AJ to Minor League deal and tell Glavine he can accept a minor league deal or play else where/retire.

i also think swisher is the best option in terms of what the braves would be getting and what theyre giving up. it solves the LF problem and he could also play CF if need be. hes doesnt have the overall power that the braves desire, but his high obp should compensate some.

but after the smoltz deal, i believe the braves should show a little loyalty and give glavine a better deal a minor league contract. hes been deemed healthy, and the rotation is completely right handed, so he may help balance that out. and instead of paying more relievers, the braves should wait until spring training and find an internal solution to solidify the bullpen.

wendell8125
01-29-2009, 09:36 PM
we just need one big name for an A

KidinRiot
01-30-2009, 12:57 PM
I'd give him a B- so far. He's revamped the rotation with the additions of proven innings eaters like Javier Vazquez and Derek Lowe. Opened the doors to the Japanese market by signing Kawakami and strenghened the bullpen with Logan and O'Flaherty. Extending Infante was also a good move. He's versatile and a great asset to the bench. If Wren somehow manages to get Swisher, Ohman, AND Glavine that's an A+ right there. Who would have thought that this might end up being a great offseason by the way things started ?

njbravefan
01-30-2009, 09:38 PM
B so far,
rebuilding the rotation was top priority. With the rotation we had going into the offseason, Jurrjens and 4 guys named Moe we would have been fighting it out for the basement with Washington. Wren will not be going into the season without obtaining a bat for LF, and it remains to be seen who that may be.
So, until that LFTBNL is acquired, I'll leave it at a B
Please don't resign Tommy G, let him retire and go into the Hall with Maddux in 2013

devildogdco
01-31-2009, 05:16 PM
F... We should be able to slow down offenses on most days but the average 4 or 5 pitcher can shut down our lineup! get a Bat and we can talk about a c+ or B... Finish the test as rtgthree said and we will grade then

SouthAla
02-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Frank has done a great job with getting the Braves
some solid pitching, and maybe should be graded
an A depending on the comeback performances of
Diaz and Frenchy. Besides I am hoping that Brandon
Jones has a great year,,,he has shown flashes of
of a true major league hitter at the plate. Go Brandon!

ugafan
02-01-2009, 12:18 PM
F... We should be able to slow down offenses on most days but the average 4 or 5 pitcher can shut down our lineup! get a Bat and we can talk about a c+ or B... Finish the test as rtgthree said and we will grade then

I know this is an opinion question, but somehow, some way, you're wrong.

jmtapia
02-01-2009, 05:09 PM

Only way you could give Wren F is if you have been relying on ESPN to give you the big moves. Wren has done a great job of working the Market and the phones to get what he wants. Even with our a Bat i would give his off season a B-/B at this point. The bat, depending, on who it is would bump his grade to a B+/A-....

njbravefan
02-12-2009, 01:47 PM
IF we end up giving Glavine $3-5 million Wren gets downgraded to a "D". He won't outpitch the kids and we need the $$ for a hitter anyway