PDA

View Full Version : George Karl: Lakers Aren't Sure Thing

JordansBulls
01-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Source: DenverPost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_11553002)

Ask most observers and the Lakers (35-8) are a lock.

"Basically, everybody's conceding that the Lakers are going to win (the Western Conference), and I don't believe that," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "I think there's numerous teams in the Western Conference that still have time to grow up and challenge."

Asked if the Nuggets are one of those teams, Karl said: "Yes, I think we are. We have a window of improvement, and we also have that window of experience (to gain from) winning a playoff series that can bring momentum to a young team, a team that's never won."

Is George Karl right? Are there a few teams that can win the west this year?

showtym24
01-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Uhh... No.

unwantedplayer
01-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Anything can happen. Its the west. I know that Lakers will make the playoffs, but who knows. Anyone can go on a rough patch anytime during the season. It could effect the Lakers or some other team.

wwwhat
01-26-2009, 04:43 PM
What? Of course he's right. If the team with the best record won every time then what's the point of the playoffs? A team with good solid defense that matches up well against the Lakers would be rather tough for them. I think the Hornets or maybe the Spurs have the best shot.

The Hornets would need to play with intensity (which they haven't been) and be healthy and gelling, but Chris Paul would be a nightmare match up for anyone, forcing the Lakers to play Ariza at PG or something, meaning on offense they have no true PG to set them up. Also, David West is just so much faster than Gasol that the Lakers couldn't have Bynum and Gasol out at the same time as Gasol gets schooled in the high post by West's first step. Also, James Posey will have to play some of his lock down defense on a fiery Kobe. It's not likely but the Hornets really do seem to match up well with the Lakers.

The Spurs have depth now that they didn't have last year seeing as they had to play guys like George Hill because of injuries. And if Manu is fully healthy (which he wasn't last playoffs, and hasn't been so far this year) the Spurs are so dangerous.

tpainzbro
01-26-2009, 04:45 PM
He is right teams can compete. But it comes down to having Bynum back which makes the Lakers a lot better than last years finals team. But i think the Spurs, Rockets (IF HEALTHY), and Hornets are the ones who can clearly play the lakers. But plus it comes down to Kobe Bryant whos hunger keeps on driving him to win.

Honestly the Nuggets are no where near that competition as showing last year being swept out in the 1st round. But with Billups they can clearly get to the 2nd round possibly Conference finals.

lakerboy
01-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Nothing is a sure thing in the playoffs. But I like our chances.

_Sn1P3r_
01-26-2009, 04:47 PM
There is no sure thing in the West (or even East right now), but Lakers have the higher chance + expectations to.

dre1990
01-26-2009, 04:52 PM
The Lakers And Nuggets are the 2 best teams in the west IMO

Jacob K.
01-26-2009, 05:08 PM
anything can happen. teams are just too good to count anyone out

uchiha
01-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Of course he is right... why is this worthy of attention? Do you expect a coach competing with the Lakers, and 6 other teams that are going to make the playoffs, to say anything different?

In my opinion it would be worthy of a thread if he said the exact opposite, jeez..

LAcowBOMBER
01-26-2009, 05:16 PM
What? Of course he's right. If the team with the best record won every time then what's the point of the playoffs? A team with good solid defense that matches up well against the Lakers would be rather tough for them. I think the Hornets or maybe the Spurs have the best shot.

The Hornets would need to play with intensity (which they haven't been) and be healthy and gelling, but Chris Paul would be a nightmare match up for anyone, forcing the Lakers to play Ariza at PG or something, meaning on offense they have no true PG to set them up. Also, David West is just so much faster than Gasol that the Lakers couldn't have Bynum and Gasol out at the same time as Gasol gets schooled in the high post by West's first step. Also, James Posey will have to play some of his lock down defense on a fiery Kobe. It's not likely but the Hornets really do seem to match up well with the Lakers.

The Spurs have depth now that they didn't have last year seeing as they had to play guys like George Hill because of injuries. And if Manu is fully healthy (which he wasn't last playoffs, and hasn't been so far this year) the Spurs are so dangerous.

Chris Paul is a tough match up for anyone to guard, but I don't see the Lakers putting Ariza at PG. Maybe for small stretches, but they do have someone named Kobe Bryant on their team that is always up for a defensive challenge.

I also don't think people should look down their noses at someone like Derek Fisher. IMHO, the Lakers are alot better than the rest of the West, but to answer the question, of course they are not a lock. It's the NBA, it's the real world, stuff happens, but I'd put my money on the Lakers.

Wilson
01-26-2009, 05:17 PM
He's absolutley right. The Lakers defense has been really shaky at times, whilst teams like San Antonio and Denver are always going to bring great D. They could certainly knock us out.

I do like our chances, but we're not as far ahead as some people think.

hockeypro68
01-26-2009, 05:23 PM
100% agree. In fact, I already have money on the Lakers not winning the title =D

GspLAL
01-26-2009, 05:25 PM

Lakers offense doesnt need a true pg.

GREATNESS ONE
01-26-2009, 05:27 PM
What in the world do you want him to say.. "theres no way we will win the Lakers are too good we might as well just call it a year".

NFLNBA
01-26-2009, 05:52 PM
A new season starts once your in the playoffs, anything can happen and remember your playing the same team night after night so its possible to get to understand what they are tyring to do and how players like to play and its becomes more of a who has the better defense, better spacing, better bench, also who has home-court which looks like everyone is going through LA in the west atleast. Lakers biggest challenge is the Rockets if healthy then the Spurs. Hornets are so undersized the Lakers seem to dominate them, so unless West goes for 16-19 with 35 and 10 and Paul is 11-13 like last time and still only win by 3 then they dont have a shot IMO.

TheCooLKid2020
01-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Let me get my feet wet. Anything can happen from here on out, Injuries, Big trades, chemistry, and favorable match ups in playoffs.

RocketsRule
01-26-2009, 05:53 PM

I'd look out for the Rockets', they've been rolling and they haven't had a healthy roster yet. Although, that could end tonight.

MoBASS
01-26-2009, 06:10 PM

Spurs

Hellcrooner
01-26-2009, 06:11 PM
did the 8th seed nuggets take out seatle?

did the warrior take out mavs?

did the 81 rockets take out lakers?

nothing is sure.

But of course the % of winning it is like..

Lakers 50%

Spurs 20%

Hornets 10%

Rockets, Jazz 5% each ( if healthy)

Susn, Mavs, Nuggets 3% each.

Blazers 1%

Lakers_ftw
01-26-2009, 06:15 PM
In fact, I already have money on the Lakers not winning the title =D

Off topic: Funny you say that, I have money that Clippers won't make playoffs.

badboyhoward
01-26-2009, 06:20 PM
george karl don't even believe that and he said it.

JJ81
01-26-2009, 06:24 PM
No, it's all Lakers.

Wilson
01-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Off topic: Funny you say that, I have money that Clippers won't make playoffs.

That's one risky-*** bet...

fresh prince
01-26-2009, 06:41 PM
100% agree. In fact, I already have money on the Lakers not winning the title =D

In what country can you make bets like that??

I need to move there..With odds like that

You just bet some coin on every NBA team not winning the title and you absolutely clean up!

Cause like the spots said in last year Playoffs there can only be 1

JordansBulls
01-26-2009, 06:43 PM
george karl don't even believe that and he said it.

:confused:

fresh prince
01-26-2009, 06:44 PM
I'd look out for the Rockets', they've been rolling and they haven't had a healthy roster yet. Although, that could end tonight.

Come on man..why even torture yourself..

Health = Cryptonite for the Rox

Kabowdos
01-26-2009, 06:57 PM

Yes he is completely right. The Lakers are easily the front runners right now. If the playoffs started right now, the Lakers would most likely easily walk to the finals.

All George Karl is saying that teams have time to get up to their level. I agree with that. There is still half a season to go and things can change. Right now, the Lakers are unquestionably the best team in the West, arguably in the league.

Kabowdos
01-26-2009, 07:12 PM

Rockets aren't doing it. The Ron Artest trade really didn't do what they thought he would. They aren't at the top of the West right now.

It's Lakers

Spurs and Nuggets

Then the rest.

lakers4sho
01-26-2009, 07:43 PM
The man's just pissed that the Lakers cut his son from the team.

x_notorious
01-26-2009, 07:55 PM
He has every right to say that. What do you expect him to say?

"The Lakers are going to steamroll over everyone in the west, including my Nuggets! "

Uh, no. Anything can happen in the playoffs, especially out west. But I think it's crystal clear that the Lakers are the heavy favorites.

G-Funk
01-26-2009, 08:43 PM
What else was he supposed to say????

Raidaz4Life
01-26-2009, 08:46 PM
What in the world do you want him to say.. "theres no way we will win the Lakers are too good we might as well just call it a year".

now THAT would be thread worthy:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-26-2009, 10:34 PM
It would be more reasonable if someone wasn't the head coach of a team that has been blown out by the Laker's 9 times in a row. And if his son was not cut by the team he is talking about. I think he is trying to talk his team into believing it for themselves.

EddieB
01-26-2009, 11:29 PM
If the Lakers are all healthy, I dont see anyone giving them a run for their money in the West, but I can see the Celtics, Cavs and Magic giving them a battle

still1ballin
01-26-2009, 11:37 PM
He needs a flashback from the 1st round of the playoffs of last year. No Bynum nor Ariza during that time, now you add those 2 great players and we arn't a sure thing? Of course, he wouldn't say Lakers will win it all, but is better not to open your mouth and say something stupid like he just did.

lakers4sho
01-26-2009, 11:41 PM
But the Nuggets are a much better team this year, no doubt. The swap of Iverson for Billups certainly helped them, and although not so much other than Nuggets fans realize this, but having Nene in the C position is an upgrade over Marcus Camby.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Spurs scare me more than the Lakers.

still1ballin
01-26-2009, 11:52 PM

I guess you don't remember us that well from the couple times we've played against you. Lakers and Nuggets have to match up real soon so you can change your mind.

Gup
01-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Lakers only have oen thing going for them.............. the laker girls!
After taking full advantage of the Grizz for Gasol (whatd they give? a bag of bballs and a 2nd round pick) I honestly lost all respect for the team. It's like in fantasy leagues, crap teams just give away there best plays for crap because they give up and dont care.
Kobe cried to be traded..... Now he's all happy.....
Also, if it was for Shaq, Kobe wouldnt have those rings.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-26-2009, 11:55 PM

The Spurs should not be more scary than the Lakers, and the Lakers should not scare you more than the Spurs. They should bring out the same amount of anxiety because the Nuggets cant beat either of them.

still1ballin
01-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Lakers only have oen thing going for them.............. the laker girls!
After taking full advantage of the Grizz for Gasol (whatd they give? a bag of bballs and a 2nd round pick) I honestly lost all respect for the team. It's like in fantasy leagues, crap teams just give away there best plays for crap because they give up and dont care.
Kobe cried to be traded..... Now he's all happy.....
Also, if it was for Shaq, Kobe wouldnt have those rings.

Welcome to the forums. Good username. Very creative. You are speaking nonsense by the way. Not a good way to start off your PSD career.

Gup
01-27-2009, 12:09 AM
I know my stuff. Ive been reading a lot of posting over the past year and thought i'd jump into action. Sorry for not liking the Lakers!
I'd rather watch girls play haha

still1ballin
01-27-2009, 12:19 AM
I know my stuff. Ive been reading a lot of posting over the past year and thought i'd jump into action. Sorry for not liking the Lakers!
I'd rather watch girls play haha

You "don't" know your stuff if you say if it wasn't for Shaq, Kobe wouldn't have 3 rings.

Wilson
01-27-2009, 02:06 AM
Welcome to the forums. Good username. Very creative. You are speaking nonsense by the way. Not a good way to start off your PSD career.

:eyebrow: :laugh2:

80849er
01-27-2009, 02:19 AM
Karl doesn't know what he is saying! LAL killed his team in the playoffs last year, now he is just hating, what a loser! I like it though, posterboard material is always good motivation.

pete_one
01-27-2009, 02:26 AM
all the teams on the west can win the west this year, but the lakers have the best chance, duh

$KnicksAndKobe$
01-27-2009, 02:29 AM
4-0

LakerzDQ
01-27-2009, 04:34 AM
anything can happen, but I still think the Lakers can beat any western conference team quite easily.

but Celtics/Cavs/Magic are the real threats to the Lakers.

GoatMilk
01-27-2009, 04:44 AM
I mean I can't blame him or get mad at him for saying what he said, but the Lakers have beaten the Nuggets 9 straight times dating back to this season.
Including a win in November with Chauncey and Melo that was pretty convincing. The Lakers were even up by 30 in that game

so yeah they're a good team, but so are the Lakers

Shortys4711
01-27-2009, 04:48 AM
I agree with Karl 100 percent, Nothing is a lock. Take the Dallas Mavericks in 07 the lost in the first round to the 8th seed warriors. I bet they all thought that was a look to.

SouljahPhil...
01-27-2009, 05:08 AM
Nothings lock...SA.,NO and Houston can win the west when their healthy..

But when you have kobe in your team no way the lakers lose in the 1st round..

JayW_1023
01-27-2009, 07:06 AM
I think George Karl is right. When the regular season is over, your record don't mean jack anymore.

Ask the Mavs when they lost to Golden State during Dirks MVP season.

celticz34
01-27-2009, 07:57 AM
100% agree. In fact, i already have money on the lakers not winning the title =d

same here!! :)

HOZ THE KNICK
01-27-2009, 08:28 AM
i believe the eastern conference is back and about to go on a run the next couple of yrs

DenButsu
01-27-2009, 09:15 AM
teams like San Antonio and Denver are always going to bring great D.

I bet if anybody told you a year ago that you'd have been saying that about Denver's D, you'd have thought they were :crazy:

Iron24th
01-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Nothing is a lock,but I'm not worried about west teams,I think the two east teams boston and cleveland are way more dangerous.

The Prodigy
01-27-2009, 10:39 AM
IMO the only team that can beat the lakers are the jazz and spurs in a play off series. The hornets are to soft defensively and the rockets are always injured. The jazz i think are a top 4 team in the west when completely healthy with lakers first and alternating spots with spurs and hornets. All the jazz have to do is get the 6 or 7 seed at the worst and be completely healthy during the playoffs and their my pick to win the WCF

cambovenzi
01-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Anything can happen. Its the west. I know that Lakers will make the playoffs, but who knows. Anyone can go on a rough patch anytime during the season. It could effect the Lakers or some other team.

Nothing is a sure thing in the playoffs. But I like our chances.

There is no sure thing in the West (or even East right now), but Lakers have the higher chance + expectations to.

i pretty much agree with anything like those above posts.
sure, its possible the lakers wcould lose 4 of 7 to a team in the west.
but IMO we easily have the best chance, and a great chance of making it to the finals.

george karl should be one of the last people calling out the lakers.
his team got easily swept out of the playoffs last year by the lakers w/o andrew bynum..

DenButsu
01-27-2009, 11:17 AM
I don't think it's accurate to say he's "calling out the Lakers".

He's just questioning the conventional wisdom that assumes they're invincible.

cambovenzi
01-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't think it's accurate to say he's "calling out the Lakers".

He's just questioning the conventional wisdom that assumes they're invincible.

i guess your right. but he is questioning their talents, which is in a way calling them out.

i mean, they arent invincible.
but they definitely are big massive favorites.

who has a decent/good chance of beating the lakers 4 out of 7 from the west, when the lakers have homecourt advantage? no one IMO.

gcoll
01-27-2009, 11:25 AM
The Lakers may be the favorites in the West.

That doesn't mean all that much though. The West is stacked.

Gibby23
01-27-2009, 11:31 AM
The Lakers may be the favorites in the West.

That doesn't mean all that much though. The West is stacked.

Not really, the West has about 4 or 5 teams that are good, but the Lakers are way ahead of all the teams in the west. The Lakers have beat every playoff team in the West and have only dropped 2 games to West playoff teams and that was to the Spurs and Hornets.

To be honest, if the Lakers are healthy come playoff time, no team in the west will take them to 7 games.

gcoll
01-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Not really, the West has about 4 or 5 teams that are good, but the Lakers are way ahead of all the teams in the west. The Lakers have beat every playoff team in the West and have only dropped 2 games to West playoff teams and that was to the Spurs and Hornets.

To be honest, if the Lakers are healthy come playoff time, no team in the west will take them to 7 games.

If you say so....

But...let's say the Suns get the 8th seed, and play the Lakers in round 1. I gotta tell you, I don't hate the Suns chances in that one.

Gibby23
01-27-2009, 11:40 AM
If you say so....

But...let's say the Suns get the 8th seed, and play the Lakers in round 1. I gotta tell you, I don't hate the Suns chances in that one.

You probabbly wouldn't go to Vegas and put $1000 on the Suns to win that series.

mfb_lt1birdman
01-27-2009, 12:07 PM
I do think the Suns would match up well against the Lakers. However I think the clear and decisive advantage a healthy Laker squad has over anyone in the west is two-fold. The Laker bench is far superior AND nobody in the west has a defense or lone defender to contain Kobe. The one exception being the Rockets.

I have a hard time fearing the Rockets though because they are never healthy.

cambovenzi
01-27-2009, 12:11 PM
You probabbly wouldn't go to Vegas and put $1000 on the Suns to win that series.

well at the odds they will be getting... lol.

we already beat the suns twice this year, and 3-1'd them last year.
we are the best team in the west again, and even improved from last year.
i would definitely like the lakers chances.

DrDEADalready
01-27-2009, 12:15 PM

With the best record in the west probably not. but as far as winning in the playoffs and getting to the finals. theres a few teams that I can see beating the lakers. Spurs for one. Rockets possibly. Jazz if healthy have a good shot.

So It's not a automatic put them in the finals right now. Because if thats the case why don't we just stop playing all together. and get the finals done now.

Gibby23
01-27-2009, 12:21 PM
With the best record in the west probably not. but as far as winning in the playoffs and getting to the finals. theres a few teams that I can see beating the lakers. Spurs for one. Rockets possibly. Jazz if healthy have a good shot.

So It's not a automatic put them in the finals right now. Because if thats the case why don't we just stop playing all together. and get the finals done now.

Lakers own the Jazz, and they probabbly won't be in the playoffs.

JayW_1023
01-27-2009, 12:22 PM

Gimme a break. Last season we saw 8th seed Atlanta take Boston to 7 games. Once the postseason starts anything can happen.

Right now the Lakers are playing better than everyone else in the West. But the real question is, can they maintain it till June?

You know the Spurs will be better as the season progresses...they usually hit their peak after the Allstar break. This team has seen it all.

We have the Hornets and Nuggets playing well...and the Jazz, Rockets, Mavs and Suns are talentwise very dangerous, with veteran players who have been there, done that.

Portland is also a very dangerous outsider, with dynamic young players and a third year swingman in Roy who is playing like a wily veteran who has been through the wars.

Once the postseason starts the complacency ends and with two teams playing equally hard the gaps close as well.

DrDEADalready
01-27-2009, 12:23 PM
They do? I could have sworn Larry H. Millers owns the jazz. but i could be wrong. :D

leftymo
01-27-2009, 12:37 PM

Odd b/c Denver hasn't beaten the Lakers in close to two years, including the playoffs.

George Karl? You might be right. The Lakers are an awful 14-2 against the top 8 teams in the western conference this year (not including themselves).

And there was a team that steamrolled through the west last year going 12-3 in the playoffs. That team just happened to ADD Andrew Bynum & Trevor Ariza this year.

Somebody is smoking crack. The only way LA doesn't make the NBA Finals is due to injuries.

leftymo
01-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Gimme a break. Last season we saw 8th seed Atlanta take Boston to 7 games. Once the postseason starts anything can happen.

Right now the Lakers are playing better than everyone else in the West. But the real question is, can they maintain it till June?

You know the Spurs will be better as the season progresses...they usually hit their peak after the Allstar break. This team has seen it all.

We have the Hornets and Nuggets playing well...and the Jazz, Rockets, Mavs and Suns are talentwise very dangerous, with veteran players who have been there, done that.

Portland is also a very dangerous outsider, with dynamic young players and a third year swingman in Roy who is playing like a wily veteran who has been through the wars.

Once the postseason starts the complacency ends and with two teams playing equally hard the gaps close as well.

Yep anything can happen. That's why the #1 seed met the #1 seed in the finals last year (which has happened more times than any other matchup in the last 25+ years).

In fact top 1 or 2 seeds make the finals close to 90% of the time over the last 30 years. Look it up. Anything can happen. Except in the NBA, when it rarely happens.

Gibby23
01-27-2009, 12:44 PM

Lakers are way above the Spurs. teams in the west are a lot closer to the Spurs than theyn are to the Lakers. In the west anything can happen between seeds 2 through 7 but a healthy Lakers team is in the finals.

JayW_1023
01-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Yep anything can happen. That's why the #1 seed met the #1 seed in the finals last year (which has happened more times than any other matchup in the last 25+ years).

In fact top 1 or 2 seeds make the finals close to 90% of the time over the last 30 years. Look it up. Anything can happen. Except in the NBA, when it rarely happens.

Never bank on the most likely scenario. It's still a half a season. Teams can make a late surge. As the playoff seeds are starting to take shape, teams will play harder and harder.

It's easy to pencil the Lakers in now as Western Conference champion now they are playing well, but the more you guarantee things the harder it is to swallow when the season doesn't turn into a fairy tale.

I remember in the 2008 NBA finals of all analysts only Tim Legler picked the Celtics to win. Indeed, anything can happen.

DrDEADalready
01-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Lakers are way above the Spurs. teams in the west are a lot closer to the Spurs than theyn are to the Lakers. In the west anything can happen between seeds 2 through 7 but a healthy Lakers team is in the finals.

Well there you have it kids. It's been stated the Lakers are going to the finals. for sure. So lets wrap up the season. and rest our guys. and watch our t.v sets to watch the lakers lose to whoever comes out of the East.

Gibby23
01-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Well there you have it kids. It's been stated the Lakers are going to the finals. for sure. So lets wrap up the season. and rest our guys. and what our t.v sets to watch the lakers lose to whoever comes out of the East.

Im 100% sure the Lakers will make it to the Finals, and Im 99% sure they win the Finals.

JayW_1023
01-27-2009, 12:54 PM

The Spurs have been through the wars enough to know when to pace themselves. In 2007 they were swept by the Cavs early in the regular season...but in the finals it wasn't even close. They destroyed a 62-win Suns team in 2005. It would be pretty stupid to write them off...people oughtta know by now.

Right now the Lakers are a much better team. But the Spurs are battle tested and they will not be discouraged by one bad loss. For them it's a marathon, not a sprint. It's still a long road ahead, and alot can happen. Don't get cocky now.

Gup
01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Let's just face it, The Lakers will have a hard time with the Spurs. Once the Lakers get through the Wild West, they will have to beat the Celts or Cavs..... Good luck with either one of them.

WickedBadMan
01-27-2009, 01:23 PM
The Lakers are the favorite, but if you write off the Spurs, Hornets and Nuggets you're a true baller.

I think only homer Lakers' fans have them penciled in.

Wilson
01-27-2009, 01:29 PM
I bet if anybody told you a year ago that you'd have been saying that about Denver's D, you'd have thought they were :crazy:

I know. How greatful are you feeling for Chauncey Billups right now?

George Karl? You might be right. The Lakers are an awful 14-2 against the top 8 teams in the western conference this year (not including themselves).

:laugh2:

dnnug
01-27-2009, 02:04 PM
yes he is right.

All it will take is an injury to a key player such as Kobe Bryant and the Lakers to go on a losing streak for teams such as the nuggets to catch them. Its the NBA nothing is guaranteed.

a 6.5 game lead in the NBA is nothing...

IndyRealist
01-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Ok, I'm not saying the Lakers aren't the most talented team in the NBA, because they are. But other teams are close. The Lakers run a good system, but so do others. What the Lakers' success really boils down to is that Phil Jackson out-coaches the other teams. He runs brilliant plays out of time outs and in the final seconds, makes timely substitutions, and manages his players better than almost any other head coach in the league.

Who can beat the Lakers in the West, and why:
1) Spurs: In a 7 game series, Popovich might be the only coach I'd take over Jackson. His players have been buying into his philosophy for over a decade. Phil may be the master manipulator, but Pop is the best in game coach around.

2) Nuggets: They needed veteran leadership, they got veteran leadership. They can score in droves, and they play a little D. George Karl isn't the best active coach, but he's up there. Right now they could take LA to 6 or 7 games, and I'm still convinced that Carmelo can still become a trascendent player. If it's this year, then Denver is loaded.

3) Utah - Jerry Sloan rounds out the top 3 coaches in the NBA right now. He's been there for 20 years, everybody knows it's his team. They have some holes to fill in their lineup, with Milsap starting they need a scoring 3/4 off the bench, and I've never liked their wing situation at all. Their supporting cast will determine whether they can take on the Lakers or not.

I don't think the Hornets, as presently constituted, can beat the Lakers. Paul's great, West is good, Chandler's OK. That's it, that's what they have. Peja is streaky and proving not to be nearly as good as Hedo. Posey will help, but ultimately he gives them more of the same, not adding any dimension to the team. I think they're really missing Jannero Pargo.

Tony_Starks
01-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Lakers aren't the sure thing.........

....................................... says the man whose team was swept out of the playoffs by the Lakers last year.

brownruffryder
01-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Are you guys kidding me??!!! How do nuggets fit into the best teams in the west??!! The best teams in the west are the lakers, spurs, and the hornets. Nuggets might be a good regular season team but when it comes to playoffs, they don't have enough depth to compete with a lot of teams in the west. Portland can take out the nuggets. And its not individual defence that wins championships its team defense. Team defense=spurs, celtics. blazers have a decent team defense as well. Anything can happen in the west. Lakers' fans are too cocky...they wont win this year. Even though i'm a raptors(disspointing season) fan, i think celtics take it agian this year. They are looking to sign marbury and reggie miller is thinking about coming out of retirement to sign with them.

DrDEADalready
01-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Wow reggie is thinking about coming back?

brownruffryder
01-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Wow reggie is thinking about coming back?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2966170

Gibby23
01-27-2009, 03:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2966170

If you read the date, it say's Updated: August 10, 2007, 1:00 PM ET

DrDEADalready
01-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah. that must be old news

NYMetros
01-27-2009, 03:38 PM

I agree with coach Karl.
It's a longggg way to go before the end of the year.
Injuries can happen, trades can happen, players can develop into stars.

To crown the Lakers champs of the western conference right now is pretty ignorant because we can't tell the future and have no idea what will happen before that point.
Who knows... maybe Kobe gets a serious injury and is out for the year. :)

I also think the Spurs may make a trade at the deadline to bring in another player for the playoff push.

still1ballin
01-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Let's just face it, The Lakers will have a hard time with the Spurs. Once the Lakers get through the Wild West, they will have to beat the Celts or Cavs..... Good luck with either one of them.

And why is that?

DenButsu
01-27-2009, 07:06 PM
I know. How greatful are you feeling for Chauncey Billups right now?

:dance:

But in fairness to GK and the rest of the team, as much as Chauncey has helped, it was a process that was well underway in training camp and before CB arrived... and in fact, started with Camby's departure, but that's a whole 'nother story... :cool:

Wilson
01-27-2009, 08:13 PM

But in fairness to GK and the rest of the team, as much as Chauncey has helped, it was a process that was well underway in training camp and before CB arrived... and in fact, started with Camby's departure, but that's a whole 'nother story... :cool:

:laugh2: Yeah I remember reading a bit about that, and reading the many posts you had to make about the Camby trade...

lakers4sho
01-27-2009, 08:22 PM

man I love Nene and his game.

Never really realized that you guys were much better off until I saw Nuggets games this season.

ARMIN12NBA
01-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Truthfully, I welcome in bulletin board material. Keep 'em comin' George!

Wilson
01-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Truthfully, I welcome in bulletin board material. Keep 'em comin' George!

Honestly, I don't think this will motivate the Lakers at all. Karl just said that his team has what it takes to catch up with the Lakers. He didn't say the Lakers are over-rated, garbage or whatever else.

ARMIN12NBA
01-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Honestly, I don't think this will motivate the Lakers at all. Karl just said that his team has what it takes to catch up with the Lakers. He didn't say the Lakers are over-rated, garbage or whatever else.

It seems that teams use everything as bulletin board material nowadays anyways. Knowing Phil Jackson, he will possibly use this as motivation if the Lakers face off against the Nuggets in the playoffs.

Wilson
01-27-2009, 10:28 PM
It seems that teams use everything as bulletin board material nowadays anyways. Knowing Phil Jackson, he will possibly use this as motivation if the Lakers face off against the Nuggets in the playoffs.

I don't think it really holds much merit. The Ravens were talking a ton about bullitin board material the first time they played the Steelers this season, and were always talking a lot, and it didn't really do that much (different sport, but I think you get where I'm coming from).

Phil Jackson is much more likely to hand out books for people to read than preach to his team what other people are saying I think. He tries to get players to motivate themselves, not use "he-said/she-said" to motivate them.

JordansBulls
01-28-2009, 12:13 AM

They would have a much more difficult time with the Rockets over the Spurs.

brownruffryder
01-28-2009, 07:52 AM
Yeah. that must be old news

sorry about the confusion guys, i posted the wrong link, i agree its old, this is the new one

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2009/01/celtics_called.html

still1ballin
01-28-2009, 12:28 PM

And why is that?

x_notorious
01-28-2009, 12:39 PM

Says who?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2008110913

The Rockets are NEVER healthy, and Ron Artest is playing on one ankle. 2-0 record against them too.