PDA

View Full Version : How long does a championship window last for a title contender that hasnt won a title

JordansBulls
01-26-2009, 02:55 PM
How long does a championship window last for a title contending team that hasn't won a title yet?

Like what I mean is:

Imagine a team that has been a good team and they are contenders in the league? How long do they have to win a title before it is over for them?

Examples:

Dallas from 2005-2006 - 2007-2008 were title contenders for around 3 years. But they also were contenders in 2002-2003

Phoenix from 1993-1995 were title contenders for that time period and they were again from 2004-2005 - 2007-2008 for a period of 4 years.

Seattle Sonics were title contenders from 1994-1998 and then they fell off.

Utah Jazz were title contenders from 1996-1999 and then they fell off.

Portland were title contenders from 1990-1992 and then they fell off.

Cleveland Cavaliers were title contenders from 1989-1993 and they fell off. (90 and 91 they had key injuries)

New York Knicks were title contenders from 1992-1994 and then from 1996-1999 and they fell off.

Miami Heat were title contenders from 1997-2000 and then they fell off.

Indiana Pacers were title contenders from 1993-1995 and then 1998-2000 and then they fell off.

Milwaukee Bucks were title contenders from 1984-1986 and then they began to fall off.

Sacramento Kings were title contenders from 2002-2004 and then they began to fall off.

Indiana Pacers were title contenders in 2004 and 2005 and they fell off (we know why though)

Those are just some of the teams I thought off right now that were in the last 20-25 years.

So with all of those teams the range varies for how long they were truly title contenders.

With regards to the question here it is.

If a team who is a legit title contender hasn't won a title in __________ years then they most likely won't win with their core.

Gibby23
01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Depends on the age and health of the core players.

IndyRealist
01-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Also depends on how long you can keep the core together. Players leave for bigger contracts, more minutes, starting roles, heck even if the just like the weather elsewhere. That doesn't include age, injury, etc.

If management does everything they can, a non-title team could probably be held together for 3 years, 4 at the outside. Anymore than that and people are asking WHY they haven't made changes to win a title.

Ewing's Knicks are a prime example, they had the drive and most of the pieces, but never made the right moves to get enough talent to win it all. It didn't help that they kept running into Jordan, and then later the Pacers.

New Jersey probably kept the core of Kidd, Carter, and Jefferson together too long, through injury and poor play. By the end people were wondering why it wasn't blown up years ago.

thephoenixson28
01-26-2009, 03:12 PM
I think you can't really tell cuz salary cap issues,or injuries and such. What happen if lebron james,kevin garnett,or anyone with a superstar on there team goes down. Also there is always someone going to be better than someone else. So you can't really tell in this league look what happen to the clippers they where supposed to be contenders then they lost brand for more money you just need chemistry and talent then you would win a championship.

Gibby23
01-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Also depends on how long you can keep the core together. Players leave for bigger contracts, more minutes, starting roles, heck even if the just like the weather elsewhere. That doesn't include age, injury, etc.

If management does everything they can, a non-title team could probably be held together for 3 years, 4 at the outside. Anymore than that and people are asking WHY they haven't made changes to win a title.

Ewing's Knicks are a prime example, they had the drive and most of the pieces, but never made the right moves to get enough talent to win it all. It didn't help that they kept running into Jordan, and then later the Pacers.

New Jersey probably kept the core of Kidd, Carter, and Jefferson together too long, through injury and poor play. By the end people were wondering why it wasn't blown up years ago.

The core of the NETS contending team was Kidd, K Mart, Jefferson, and Kittles. Kittles got hurt and Martin left.

nalej85
01-26-2009, 03:38 PM
I think a Richard Jefferson for Shawn Marion trade would have been the best deal for both PHX and NJ. Oh Well

what54!?
01-26-2009, 03:40 PM
I say four years tops. Thats usually around the point where contracts start coming up.

legendkillerv2
01-26-2009, 03:41 PM
the spur's are the exception to the rule.

The Answer3
01-26-2009, 03:59 PM
I think you just answered your own question by posting those facts.

JordansBulls
01-26-2009, 05:34 PM

:confused:

They have 4 titles.

oldenpolynice
01-26-2009, 07:54 PM
I'd say, on average, 3 years.

Star players are generally in their prime for 3-4 years and you need almost a perfect storm of players near or in their prime in order to create a championship team.

For instance, the Kings in 2002-04. They had Webber, Bibby and Peja experiencing prime years plus Vlade (a cagey vet with something left in the tank) and a bona fide bench (prime Bobby Jackson and young future stars Hedo Turk and Crash Wallace).

Some players are exceptional (Shaq, Jordan, Kobe come to mind) and can keep that window open longer for you. That's how Jordan + Pippen got 6 titles and Shaq + Kobe would have been eligible for more if they hadn't broken up as they did.

On average, though, it's usually 3 years.

JordansBulls
01-26-2009, 10:40 PM
I'd say, on average, 3 years.

Star players are generally in their prime for 3-4 years and you need almost a perfect storm of players near or in their prime in order to create a championship team.

For instance, the Kings in 2002-04. They had Webber, Bibby and Peja experiencing prime years plus Vlade (a cagey vet with something left in the tank) and a bona fide bench (prime Bobby Jackson and young future stars Hedo Turk and Crash Wallace).

Some players are exceptional (Shaq, Jordan, Kobe come to mind) and can keep that window open longer for you. That's how Jordan + Pippen got 6 titles and Shaq + Kobe would have been eligible for more if they hadn't broken up as they did.

On average, though, it's usually 3 years.

I agreed with the 3 year window. Once you win 1 then your window is open much longer especially if you have a young team.

Lakersfan2483
01-26-2009, 10:55 PM
How long does a championship window last for a title contending team that hasn't won a title yet?

Like what I mean is:

Imagine a team that has been a good team and they are contenders in the league? How long do they have to win a title before it is over for them?

Examples:

Dallas from 2005-2006 - 2007-2008 were title contenders for around 3 years. But they also were contenders in 2002-2003

Phoenix from 1993-1995 were title contenders for that time period and they were again from 2004-2005 - 2007-2008 for a period of 4 years.

Seattle Sonics were title contenders from 1994-1998 and then they fell off.

Utah Jazz were title contenders from 1996-1999 and then they fell off.

Portland were title contenders from 1990-1992 and then they fell off.

Cleveland Cavaliers were title contenders from 1989-1993 and they fell off. (90 and 91 they had key injuries)

New York Knicks were title contenders from 1992-1994 and then from 1996-1999 and they fell off.

Miami Heat were title contenders from 1997-2000 and then they fell off.

Indiana Pacers were title contenders from 1993-1995 and then 1998-2000 and then they fell off.

Milwaukee Bucks were title contenders from 1984-1986 and then they began to fall off.

Sacramento Kings were title contenders from 2002-2004 and then they began to fall off.

Indiana Pacers were title contenders in 2004 and 2005 and they fell off (we know why though)

Those are just some of the teams I thought off right now that were in the last 20-25 years.

So with all of those teams the range varies for how long they were truly title contenders.

With regards to the question here it is.

If a team who is a legit title contender hasn't won a title in __________ years then they most likely won't win with their core.

3 or 4 yrs. is my estimate, but it depends on how young the group is, there are so many factors that can play into a team's window of opportunity for a championship....

td0tsfinest
01-27-2009, 12:02 AM
it depends on so many different things. There are teams that have been title contendors for a few years and than there are teams that have been title contendors for many years (spurs) and then there are teams that seem like they have always been contendors (Lakers)

Iron24th
01-27-2009, 10:08 AM
4 years.

Sox Appeal
01-27-2009, 10:44 AM

I think you're right. The Spurs won their first championship in '98, and they've been contenders in every season since. And that won't be changing anytime soon. As long as Duncan is on the roster, the Spurs will continue to remain a legitimate contender for a championship.

And I don't think there really is a limit on how long a championship window can stay open. Like I said the Spurs have been contending for the last 10+ seasons, the Cavs where in the Finals a few years ago and will be contenders for at least the next 2 seasons (if they keep Lebron they'll be contenders for the next 10+ seasons), and the Celtics/Lakers in the 90's where competing for Championships in practically every season.

cambovenzi
01-27-2009, 11:10 AM
it lasts for as long as they have good enough teams to compete for the title...

its not a specific year.
its different for every team.
some teams get old.
some teams lose players.
some teams make moves to remain a contending team for years and years.

JordansBulls
01-27-2009, 12:38 PM
I think you're right. The Spurs won their first championship in '98, and they've been contenders in every season since. And that won't be changing anytime soon. As long as Duncan is on the roster, the Spurs will continue to remain a legitimate contender for a championship.

And I don't think there really is a limit on how long a championship window can stay open. Like I said the Spurs have been contending for the last 10+ seasons, the Cavs where in the Finals a few years ago and will be contenders for at least the next 2 seasons (if they keep Lebron they'll be contenders for the next 10+ seasons), and the Celtics/Lakers in the 90's where competing for Championships in practically every season.

1) The Spurs didn't win the title in 1998, the Bulls did.

2) The Spurs have won titles so their window is open a bit longer than teams who haven't.
The question raised is: How long does a championship window last for a title contender that hasnt won a title?

tbron
01-28-2009, 04:16 AM
there is no time limit you just have to have key players.

JWalk126
01-28-2009, 04:20 AM
I was going to say 3 or 4 years, just based on your initial post