PDA

View Full Version : What player/players image would change the most if they won a title this season?

JordansBulls
01-26-2009, 12:38 PM
What player/players image would change the most if they won a title this season?

Last year it was obvious that Kevin Garnett's image changed the most. People were no longer able to call him a guy who couldn't lead as he changed that team into a defensive powerhouse and was perhaps the main reason the team was so good. With that in mind, whose image would change the most this year with a title?

IMO, it would have to be Tracy Mcgrady. The guy has been in the league 11 years and still no playoff success. With a title this year, he can't be considered not a winner any longer.

Who do you say image would change the most with a title?

Hellcrooner
01-26-2009, 12:49 PM
I guess if Lakers won the title and Pau did a god job on the finals people would see him as top 5 in Power fowards instead of Top Ten.

If Iverson Won they would start to watch him as a LOCK for HOF instead of a marginal candidate.

If Carter won he would compelte his the strange Journey 1st Overated then Underated and would finally get the exact amount of praise he deserved.

If Duncan won another ( not to talk another two) he should legitimately start to be in the talks for GOAT

JordansBulls
01-26-2009, 12:51 PM
I guess if Lakers won the title and Pau did a god job on the finals people would see him as top 5 in Power fowards instead of Top Ten.

If Iverson Won they would start to watch him as a LOCK for HOF instead of a marginal candidate.

If Carter won he would compelte his the strange Journey 1st Overated then Underated and would finally get the exact amount of praise he deserved.

If Duncan won another ( not to talk another two) he should legitimately start to be in the talks for GOAT

Even if Duncan won another title he still wouldn't be in that immortal 6. He would still be in that zone with Shaq and Hakeem are at now.

fredv
01-26-2009, 12:51 PM

Nay, there is only one GOAT...

Gibby23
01-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Last year I also think Paul Pierce's image changed big time.

ink
01-26-2009, 12:58 PM
If Kobe won the title, all this ridiculous talk about being Robin to someone else's Batman would stop. He'd be his own superhero. ;) That stuff is hard to take seriously anyway.

Mile High Champ
01-26-2009, 12:59 PM

Man I know you have a man crush for the europeans ( I do a bit as well), but come on.. Pau no matter if the lakers won 3 consecutive titles, would ever be called a top 5 PF... Guys like KG, Bosh, Duncan, Amare and Nowitzki are all still much better players and always will be.

basketfan4life
01-26-2009, 01:07 PM
if we talk about realistic candidates,it will be kobe..if he wins one,eveyr comparison he have been put in will make sense..i'm not saying he must be considered better than mj if he wins..but the comparison will be more valuable..
also i want to say that as much as it helped garnett's legacy,it hurted kobe's,even the regular season mvp award he won can't change that,unless he wins it all once..

mavwar53
01-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Kobe

GspLAL
01-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Man I know you have a man crush for the europeans ( I do a bit as well), but come on.. Pau no matter if the lakers won 3 consecutive titles, would ever be called a top 5 PF... Guys like KG, Bosh, Duncan, Amare and Nowitzki are all still much better players and always will be.

I agree cept for Nowitzki.

JordansBulls
01-26-2009, 01:16 PM

Amare and Bosh have better numbers, but they would have to prove they are better though. At least Bosh has taken teams to the playoffs as the Man on the team, I'm not sure if Amare can take a team to the playoffs 3 years in 5 years or win 50 games and 49 games as the top guy on the team yet.

JordansBulls
01-26-2009, 01:16 PM
I agree cept for Nowitzki.

How is it except Nowitzki when he carried a team to the finals?

toronto_JazzFan
01-26-2009, 01:19 PM
kobe, jason kidd, tracy if he even makes it out of the 1st round he will loose that tag.

ShakeN'Bake
01-26-2009, 01:23 PM

Please explain to me why AI is only a marginal candidate to get into the HOF

Joshtd1
01-26-2009, 01:25 PM
T-mac, AI, Kobe, LBJ to me

Hellcrooner
01-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Because AI at the moment he has only proved to be a soid scorer that once did a great feature but that has being struggling with teams ever since.

And about Pau, he lead a ****** team to the playoffs , the ONLY three times the team has been there and won more thatn 50 games on one of the seasons.

The his addition took Lakers to the finals.

Td and Duncan are hands down better Nowitzky for the moment has an edge over him, that would dissapear if Pau gets a ring.

Dont give me crap about dirk making the finals, im pretty sure if pau had Terry and Stackhouse and howard etc etc he could do it too.

Bosh, still has to prove some, but may end up being better.

Stoudamire has been exposed this year ask suns fans how happy they are with his ego, his i ony care for shooting and for my numbers attitude and his LACK of defense ( Pau at least tries).

Hellcrooner
01-26-2009, 01:39 PM
If Kobe won the title, all this ridiculous talk about being Robin to someone else's Batman would stop. He'd be his own superhero. ;) That stuff is hard to take seriously anyway.

In any case he can prove he is NIGHTWING , hahahahahahahahahhahahahah.

Young2Kinsler
01-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Altho it's impossible, Dirk has to be the guy who would be looked at in a completely different light.

bahama0811
01-26-2009, 01:45 PM
I'd say T-Mac or Melo. Neither of them can get their teams out of the 1st round.

mfb_lt1birdman
01-26-2009, 01:57 PM

Nah, people..(I mean haters) would still say it was all because of Pau.

Lebron would be truly legitimate if the Cavs win....ESPN would need to add another channel to their lineup to support all the media coverage and homerism he would get. ESPN-Lebron anybody?

If I ranked a top 5 I would say TMac, AI, Carter, Lebron, and Kobe.

Powder
01-26-2009, 02:05 PM
T-Mac

lakers4sho
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Nay, there is only one GOAT...

Yes, right now it's Mike James. But Roger Mason Jr. is trailing closely behind him.

IndyRealist
01-26-2009, 02:26 PM
The view of Pau would not change, people would say that he's riding Kobe's coat-tails.

The view of Kobe would not change, he's the greatest still playing the game (Lebron is amazing but doesn't have his credentials yet).

Lebron is viewed as the legitimate future of the NBA, no one thinks he is overrated except the Wizards' lone fan.

The player who would surely have views of him change would be Danny Granger. There's so much talk about him being overrated, even by Pacers fans. Wait, this thread is about players that CAN win a championship this year, isn't it? :smoking:

I've got to go with Chauncey Billups. In the Rajon Rondo thread (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318385) people don't even have him in their top 10, he's got a ring, a finals MVP (I think, I don't follow Detriot), and he's the heart and soul of Detroit and now Denver. He's leading them toward June and he's not even considered in the top half of PG's by some.

thesparky33
01-26-2009, 03:38 PM
I'd have to agree with JB's first post, and say Tracy McGrady. He's been criticized just like KG was in Minnesota for not getting passed the 1st round, and if the Rockets win the championship (that would be something, eh?) no doubt his and Yao's images would change. Heck, even Artest's image as a "cancer" (which I disagree with) would be squashed a little bit.

what54!?
01-26-2009, 03:42 PM
T-mac. If the won one it would show he can get a team out of the first round.

thesparky33
01-26-2009, 03:45 PM
I'd also have to say Marbury, lol.

If he joined the Celtics, and was a big contributor to them winning a title, I think the "cancer" label would be lightened, although not completely removed.

The Answer3
01-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Either AI or McGrady. McGrady for not having any playoff success and AI for not having a team game.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Carmelo, Vince Carter, T-Mac, AI, Kobe

IRUAM #21
01-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Kobe - People can stop saying that he cant win one without Shaq
Mcgrady- He will finally get out of the 1st round

Vince Carter ????
Stephon Marbury
Kwame Brown :)

thedfactor
01-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Theres several guys out there, and many have been listed here. I think its tough to determine whose image would change the most though. Those who mentioned McGrady, his image would change if he got out of the 1st round for starters. I'm going with Dirk because everyone talks about the great shooter he is and thats about it. He and his Mavericks are sliding, but if they somehow won a title with Dirk as the leader his rep takes a huge leap into the all-time greats.

SeoulBeatz
01-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Allen Iverson or Tracy McGrady

lakers4sho
01-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Kobe - People can stop saying that he cant win one without Shaq.

Yeah, I hope so. But now they're going to say Kobe can't win one without another All-Star (Pau).

Haters are going to find excuses to discredit him, that's just the plain truth.

JordansBulls
01-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I hope so. But now they're going to say Kobe can't win one without another All-Star (Pau).

Haters are going to find excuses to discredit him, that's just the plain truth.

The whole win without Shaq is blown out of proportion. That is not what people mean I don't think. The only knock on him is that he hasn't won as the best player on the team. That is what people mean by the statement.

NyYaNkEeS 91
01-26-2009, 04:59 PM
LBJ, tmac, AI, VC, nash, kidd

pebloemer
01-26-2009, 05:05 PM
The view of Pau would not change, people would say that he's riding Kobe's coat-tails.

The view of Kobe would not change, he's the greatest still playing the game (Lebron is amazing but doesn't have his credentials yet).

Lebron is viewed as the legitimate future of the NBA, no one thinks he is overrated except the Wizards' lone fan.

The player who would surely have views of him change would be Danny Granger. There's so much talk about him being overrated, even by Pacers fans. Wait, this thread is about players that CAN win a championship this year, isn't it? :smoking:

I've got to go with Chauncey Billups. In the Rajon Rondo thread (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318385) people don't even have him in their top 10, he's got a ring, a finals MVP (I think, I don't follow Detriot), and he's the heart and soul of Detroit and now Denver. He's leading them toward June and he's not even considered in the top half of PG's by some.

I haven't looked though the Rajon Rondo thread - figured it would be like all the others. People seriously don't put him in top ten? That says more about PSD posters than Chauncey IMO - it's pretty sad. He would definately be looked at in a different light if he won with Denver. Agreed.

Lakers4ItAll
01-26-2009, 05:07 PM
The NBA would love for Lebron to beat Kobe and the Lakers in the Finals. They already want him to be the face of the NBA so if he won they would push him even more.

lakers4sho
01-26-2009, 05:21 PM
The whole win without Shaq is blown out of proportion. That is not what people mean I don't think. The only knock on him is that he hasn't won as the best player on the team. That is what people mean by the statement.

Having a bunch of scrubs around him is a knock on Kobe? I think it's unfair to bash him because of that. IMO that shouldn't be a knock on him especially because of all the patience he had waiting for the right turn of events to happen.

Iggydelphia
01-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Andre Iguodala.. he'll finally get the attention he deserves

Raps18-19 Champ
01-26-2009, 06:10 PM
What player/players image would change the most if they won a title this season?

Last year it was obvious that Kevin Garnett's image changed the most. People were no longer able to call him a guy who couldn't lead as he changed that team into a defensive powerhouse and was perhaps the main reason the team was so good. With that in mind, whose image would change the most this year with a title?

IMO, it would have to be Tracy Mcgrady. The guy has been in the league 11 years and still no playoff success. With a title this year, he can't be considered not a winner any longer.

you forgot becoming more cocky and arrogant

i think T-mac too

Ethix11
01-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Wade would never be questioned again. There will be no doubters. He will spring into the upper echelon players in nba history at this point in his career.

JordansBulls
01-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Having a bunch of scrubs around him is a knock on Kobe? I think it's unfair to bash him because of that. IMO that shouldn't be a knock on him especially because of all the patience he had waiting for the right turn of events to happen.

I'm not knocking him for anything. The whole win without Shaq argument justs means he has to win as the best on his team.
You hear people calling Kobe a top 10 player ever at times or some even go further and say top 5. Well a top 5 player wins titles as the best player on his team. People wouldn't knock him, if they just let him be rated where he belongs and that is in that 10-18 rankings alltime.

People say he hasn't won without Shaq because of the fact that Shaq was the best player on those title teams. When people say that Kobe has to win without Shaq, they don't mean that literally. They just mean that Kobe has to win titles as the best player on the team and not have someone who is better than him on the team at the time he wins. And realistically that is the only way you can move up in the all time rankings especially when trying to get into the top 10 and eventually top 5.

cahawk
01-27-2009, 12:24 AM
Lakers have had the most talent in the NBA the last 2 years.

Maybe the question should be, who's reputation will change the most if they do not win.

basketfan4life
01-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Lakers have had the most talent in the NBA the last 2 years.

Maybe the question should be, who's reputation will change the most if they do not win.
exactly..
in both ways,the answer will be kobe this season..

DrDEADalready
01-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Well if OKC won a Championship this year. I dont think anyone on that team would change but all of the other teams players would probably be ******** themselves

Lone Maverick
01-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Because AI at the moment he has only proved to be a soid scorer that once did a great feature but that has being struggling with teams ever since.

And about Pau, he lead a ****** team to the playoffs , the ONLY three times the team has been there and won more thatn 50 games on one of the seasons.

The his addition took Lakers to the finals.

Td and Duncan are hands down better Nowitzky for the moment has an edge over him, that would dissapear if Pau gets a ring.

Dont give me crap about dirk making the finals, im pretty sure if pau had Terry and Stackhouse and howard etc etc he could do it too.

Bosh, still has to prove some, but may end up being better.

Stoudamire has been exposed this year ask suns fans how happy they are with his ego, his i ony care for shooting and for my numbers attitude and his LACK of defense ( Pau at least tries).

First off Devin Harris is a 20ppg scorer NOW not then, Howard 18ppg scorer NOW not then

In 05-06...
Terry averaged-17.1ppg and 3.8 assists
Stackhouse averaged- 13.0ppg
Howard averaged- 15.6ppg
Devin Harris averaged- 9.9ppg and 3.2 assists
Dirk averaged- 26.6ppg a little bonus in the playoffs Dirk averaged 27.0ppg and 11.7 rebounds

So scoring wise Terry was his second fiddle but the team was at the time Dirk and role players.

As for the question of the thread, T-Mac can change his by getting out of the first round and staying healthy an entire season, AI can change his pretty drastically, Dirk can prove he can lead a team all the way, and Vince Carter. Of those 4 its really take your pick but I'll go with Dirk and T-Mac being a close second. =/

Sox Appeal
01-27-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm not knocking him for anything. The whole win without Shaq argument justs means he has to win as the best on his team.
You hear people calling Kobe a top 10 player ever at times or some even go further and say top 5. Well a top 5 player wins titles as the best player on his team. People wouldn't knock him, if they just let him be rated where he belongs and that is in that 10-18 rankings alltime.

People say he hasn't won without Shaq because of the fact that Shaq was the best player on those title teams. When people say that Kobe has to win without Shaq, they don't mean that literally. They just mean that Kobe has to win titles as the best player on the team and not have someone who is better than him on the team at the time he wins. And realistically that is the only way you can move up in the all time rankings especially when trying to get into the top 10 and eventually top 5.

Anybody who says Kobe isn't one of the 10 best players of all-time has NEVER watched the game of basketball. Kobe winning a championship when he wasn't the best player on his team, has absolutely nothing to do with him, it has everything to do with the level of talent around him. If you would put Jordan, in his prime, on some of those Lakers teams, and he isn't getting them anywhere near the Finals. (2nd round tops)

Some experts (who actually know the game of basketball) have called Kobe Bryant the best basketball of player of all-time, of course I would disagree with them, that still has to saying something. In my opinion, Kobe is one of the 3-4 best players of all-time, the lowest I could see him being ranked is 5-8, anything lower then that is just ridiculous.

Hellcrooner
01-28-2009, 01:07 AM
^ mmm lets see....

1 Magic

2 Jordan

3 Kareem

4 Robertson

5 Chamberlain

6 Russell

7 Mikan

8 Bird

9 the Dream

10 Shaqille.

no man he is not tep ten yet , he CAN get there but still isnt.

and there are some other arguable players that still have an edge over him to be considered top 10

in no order Rick Barry, David Robinson,Artis Gilmore, Moses Malone,Clyde Drexler, Lenny Wilkens,Bob Pettit,Wes Unseld,Elvin Hayes, Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe,Patrick Ewing,Cousy, Havlicek, Dr J, George Gervin,I thomas, Stockton, Malone, Barkley.

As a Laker fan i WISH he wins 1 ring as main man and takes a front seat among those last mentioned, i Hope he does get another 2 or three to finally deserve the top ten thing and i DREAM he gets 4 more to shut the hell up to Illinois monks.

dodgernation
01-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Chauncey, Bosh, Allen, AI, Deron Williams

PhillyLuver
01-28-2009, 01:14 AM
Chauncey by far.

Prove he doesn't need the three other great players surrounding him.

Sox Appeal
01-28-2009, 02:29 AM
^ mmm lets see....

1 Magic

2 Jordan

3 Kareem

4 Robertson

5 Chamberlain

6 Russell

7 Mikan

8 Bird

9 the Dream

10 Shaqille.

and there are some other arguable players that still have an edge over him to be considered top 10

in no order Rick Barry, David Robinson,Artis Gilmore, Moses Malone,Clyde Drexler, Lenny Wilkens,Bob Pettit,Wes Unseld,Elvin Hayes, Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe,Patrick Ewing,Cousy, Havlicek, Dr J, George Gervin,I thomas, Stockton, Malone, Barkley.

As a Laker fan i WISH he wins 1 ring as main man and takes a front seat among those last mentioned, i Hope he does get another 2 or three to finally deserve the top ten thing and i DREAM he gets 4 more to shut the hell up to Illinois monks.

What? :confused:

Hellcrooner
01-28-2009, 03:34 AM
^just some history .

Younger people tend to underate the past.

Lakersfan2483
01-28-2009, 03:39 AM

Agreed, T-Mac definitely has a lot on the line, right now the perception is that he is not a "winner" and can't get his team out of the first round, let alone a championship.

Top Players who's images would change with winning a title this year

1. T-Mac
2. Kobe (To get rid of the argument that he can't win without Shaq, which I disagree with completely)
3. Allen Iverson
4. Lebron James

Draco
01-28-2009, 03:48 AM
This is a pretty vague and random question. My opinion of KG, Piece and Allen didn't change just because they won a championship and neither will my opinion of any other player in the latter stage of their career. Besides, how is anyone going to measure image? By the number of endorsements that player gets the next year or by how many backflips Jamele Hill does if the Lakers win a ring?

Hellcrooner
01-28-2009, 04:05 AM
^Winning Rings Matters a lot, and changes peple images a lot.

Do you think if scottie pippen would have gotten 0 rings he would be on that all time 50 list? no way.

Ewing wasnt a worst player than Hakeem or Robinson, but guess what , he did not win a ring so he will be forever put in a lower step than those two.

et

JWalk126
01-28-2009, 04:08 AM
Stockton is probably top 10 (if not top 5) PGs and he never won an NBA title

Hellcrooner
01-28-2009, 04:09 AM
^had he won a title hw would be undisputed number three behind magic and robertson.

I cant believe i forgot Baylor and Jerry west on the list of people still ahead of kobe...

JWalk126
01-28-2009, 04:13 AM
they were discussing the top PG's on Sportscenter/PTI yesterday and whether Chris Paul was the best PG since Magic

Lakersfan2483
01-28-2009, 04:33 AM
^ mmm lets see....

1 Magic

2 Jordan

3 Kareem

4 Robertson

5 Chamberlain

6 Russell

7 Mikan

8 Bird

9 the Dream

10 Shaqille.

Kobe is definitely one of the top "5" talents of all time and he definitely is at the top in terms of being one of the most skilled players ever. In order for him to get into the top ten, he has to lead his team to at least 2 titles. He's definitely amongst the top 10 to 15 players of all time.

Draco
01-28-2009, 04:36 AM
^Winning Rings Matters a lot, and changes peple images a lot.

Do you think if scottie pippen would have gotten 0 rings he would be on that all time 50 list? no way.

Ewing wasnt a worst player than Hakeem or Robinson, but guess what , he did not win a ring so he will be forever put in a lower step than those two.

et

Scottie won 6 rings in 8 years which is a different animal than this thread question is asking: whose image would change if they won a title this year.

Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson.. I do have my opinions on these players but that's beyond the scope of this thread...

Rings matter within the context of the competition and a players entire body of work. Again.. have many people's opinion of KG, Allen or Pierce really changed now that they've won a ring? The team might have surprised people who thought they might go down with injuries or they might have been too old but no one doubted their talent.

Edit: Actually. I'm surprised no one mentioned KG, Allen or Pierce in this thread. Would anyone's opinion change after winning 2 rings?

Draco
01-28-2009, 04:38 AM
Kobe is definitely one of the top "5" talents of all time and he definitely is at the top in terms of being one of the most skilled players ever. In order for him to get into the top ten, he has to lead his team to at least 2 titles. He's definitely amongst the top 10 to 15 players of all time.

There you go Hellcrooner.. here's one of those guys who you wrote about not having a grasp on NBA history.

carlo4444
01-28-2009, 05:51 AM
arenas shows his worth his money

Kentucky_Fried
01-28-2009, 06:14 AM
Really good thread! I think everyone has hit the major names that people are somewhat reluctant to give the kind of credit that their stats or individual accomplishments might otherwise warrant. Don't think I saw Steve Nash's name up there. People that have been around the longest without championships are always the one's that a championship seems to mean most to, perhaps because it's so hard to shed that tag of being someone who never made it past a certain level. People like Barkley, Stockton and Malone never made it, but they didn't have the same sort of questions that McGrady and Iverson have around them. It's all going to depend on how they get there though. Pierce's championship did a lot for his legacy, Gary Payton's did not.

In my opinion, after the Iverson/Billups trade, I think AI's overall credibility needs a championship--or at least a competitive run-- the most. In recent memory Philidelphia, Denver and Detroit all having seemed a lot better without HOFer Iverson on their respective teams should raise some red flags...

Hellcrooner
01-28-2009, 06:37 AM
Scottie won 6 rings in 8 years which is a different animal than this thread question is asking: whose image would change if they won a title this year.

Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson.. I do have my opinions on these players but that's beyond the scope of this thread...

Rings matter within the context of the competition and a players entire body of work. Again.. have many people's opinion of KG, Allen or Pierce really changed now that they've won a ring? The team might have surprised people who thought they might go down with injuries or they might have been too old but no one doubted their talent.

Edit: Actually. I'm surprised no one mentioned KG, Allen or Pierce in this thread. Would anyone's opinion change after winning 2 rings?

Another example about HOW much it matter getting even ONE ring.

Artis Gilmore, wouldnt then he be the most biasedly snubed one time and another in the Hall of Fame Guy?

akesh99
03-27-2009, 11:45 PM
If Wade can carry his team to a championship I think a lot of people would consider Wade better than Lebron.

jrodmesche
03-27-2009, 11:49 PM
if wade won it hed get the respect he dam well deserves

JordansBulls
03-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Considering Mcgrady is out for the year now, then I would have to say Yao or Melo.

downsos
03-27-2009, 11:57 PM
T-Mac, Kobe, Wade, AI. If Wade carried his team to a championship without Shaq he could get talked about being better than Kobe.

JordansBulls
03-28-2009, 12:26 AM
If Wade can carry his team to a championship I think a lot of people would consider Wade better than Lebron.

Wade already has a historic finals and got a finals mvp.

HeyHiHello
03-28-2009, 12:28 AM
Stephon Marbury, It'd be finally some good press against this guy for a change.

pd7631
03-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Wade already has a historic finals and got a finals mvp.

Yes, but he has the same curse as Kobe.......can D-Wade win a championship with out the Big Aristotle?

pd7631
03-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Stephon Marbury, It'd be finally some good press against this guy for a change.

I don't think Marbury's image would change much, if it did at all. I would just see him as a guy who weasled his way out of a bad situation and rode the coat-tails of a team that didn't need him to win a championship.

JordansBulls
03-28-2009, 12:42 AM
Yes, but he has the same curse as Kobe.......can D-Wade win a championship with out the Big Aristotle?

He won as the best player on the team that is why he won finals mvp. When you average 35 ppg in the finals and your next best player averages 13 ppg, you won as the best player.

abe_froman
03-28-2009, 01:06 AM
ai,but he wont win it this year

DenButsu
03-28-2009, 05:49 AM
Melo.

And although I don't think we'll take the title this season (gotta keep it real), I think he'll be among the players in the playoffs who stand to have the biggest image makeovers even if, say the Nuggets reach the 2nd round and either make a good 6-7 game battle of it there or find a way to punch their way into the WCF.

junion
03-28-2009, 06:07 AM
i know he's not a player, but i'm saying coach d'antoni. if he won a championship, he wouldn't be seen as what he's seen as now.

and it would make other teams consider the fun and fast-paced game.

but everyone knows (even new york) that that kind of game doesn't win championships, but if he did, it would change minds.

JordansBulls
03-28-2009, 08:39 AM
i know he's not a player, but i'm saying coach d'antoni. if he won a championship, he wouldn't be seen as what he's seen as now.

but everyone knows (even new york) that that kind of game doesn't win championships, but if he did, it would change minds.

And D'Antoni has no shot to win a title this year.

KnicksorBust
03-28-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm gonna rock a vote for one of my favorites Brandon Roy. Trailblazers are 45-27 and everyone just assumes they're going out in the first round. Look at that team, Steve Blake, Joel Pryzbilla and the rookie Batum are in the starting lineup and they are that good? I know they are probably the deepest team in the league, but just look at what Roy is doing. I think if most people ranked the best players in the league, Roy would be after a lot of players that he's actually better than. With a Finals MVP and he skyrockets from a Joe Johnson level all the way to the LeBron/Wade/Kobe/Roy bracket.

Sportfan
03-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Iverson? but it's not like he'd win a title this year

JordansBulls
03-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Iverson? but it's not like he'd win a title this year

He could. You never know.

DenButsu
03-28-2009, 01:54 PM
He could. You never know.

No, but the odds against it are about 999 to 1.

EX-TREME
03-28-2009, 02:00 PM
tmac or ai

TmacBryant
03-28-2009, 02:21 PM
if mike james wins nothing will happen... he is the best anyways

harm0n1x
03-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Lebron James.

JordansBulls
03-28-2009, 06:18 PM
No, but the odds against it are about 999 to 1.

A healthy Pistons team is a contender though. They are like the 1999 Knicks in that regard.

IversonIsKrazy
03-28-2009, 06:29 PM
either AI or T-Mac.

DenButsu
03-28-2009, 09:10 PM
A healthy Pistons team is a contender though. They are like the 1999 Knicks in that regard.

I just have to disagree with you on that one. I think there is basically no way in hell they survive a 7-game series against Cleveland, Boston, L.A. - and probably Orlando and San Antonio as well. And AI will be part of that problem, if his playoff performances in Denver were any indication (where both seasons we saw a significant dropoff in postseason production as compared to the regular season).

Becks2307
03-28-2009, 09:30 PM
TMAC no doubt

heyman321
03-28-2009, 11:10 PM

Realistically the Suns probably would have won in 06-07 if Steve Nash didn't get knee'd in the balls by Bowen, headbutted by Tony Parker basically, and tackled by Robert Horry causing the suspensions.

IMO running and gunning COULD have been a method that works. Too bad though.

JordansBulls
03-29-2009, 12:13 AM
I just have to disagree with you on that one. I think there is basically no way in hell they survive a 7-game series against Cleveland, Boston, L.A. - and probably Orlando and San Antonio as well. And AI will be part of that problem, if his playoff performances in Denver were any indication (where both seasons we saw a significant dropoff in postseason production as compared to the regular season).

I think they are good enough to take out 2 of the 4 teams, but no way could they take out all 4 of them if they had to go that route.

DenButsu
03-29-2009, 09:03 AM
I think they are good enough to take out 2 of the 4 teams, but no way could they take out all 4 of them if they had to go that route.

Really? I think they have a close to zero chance of beating L.A. or CLE, and only say 5% of beating S.A. or ORL.

As someone who mistakenly placed my faith in AI for two consecutive seasons, I feel qualified to say that my doubts that he can deliver in this or any future postseason are very well founded. And if Detroit is placing any of their postseason hopes in AI's hands, then I feel quite comfortable in saying that their chance of beating the top 4 teams in the league is pretty much nil.

jimbobjarree
03-29-2009, 09:19 AM
I bet T Mac would become a complete prick...and Jerry Sloan, he wins a championship he'll pimp up some crazy hummer with solid gold, go straight out partying, hit some strip clubs, end up at the red light district and may probably die surrounded by the blue pill and a huge grin on his face

Rocco007
03-29-2009, 09:21 AM
TMac and AI haven't done enough this year, so they wouldn't get the credit needed to elevate their status as players who made the difference..They're already HOF type players..It would seem that it would be other players stepping up on those teams in order for either to win a title..

It seems like everyone is avoiding saying "Kobe"...But its "Kobe"...His biggest knocks are not being a good team mate and not winning a title without Shaq..He will get rid of both with a Ring this year..and Phil would have his 10th passing Red for the all time record for Championships..Kobe would get some credit for that as well...

RaptorsFanatic
03-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Well, since the NBA is already sucking Lebron's *** now, Im pretty sure if the Cavs win a title the NBA will be giving **** to Lebron's image.

JordansBulls
03-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Well, since the NBA is already sucking Lebron's *** now, Im pretty sure if the Cavs win a title the NBA will be giving **** to Lebron's image.

Not so sure about that. They will just say he is the best in the league for sure.

EX-TREME
03-29-2009, 03:23 PM
I bet T Mac would become a complete prick...and Jerry Sloan, he wins a championship he'll pimp up some crazy hummer with solid gold, go straight out partying, hit some strip clubs, end up at the red light district and may probably die surrounded by the blue pill and a huge grin on his face

lol

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Kobe for sure. He would be able to shred the label of not winning a ring as second banana. He would move into the top 15 players of all time if he gets a ring as the lead dog on his team

abe_froman
03-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Kobe for sure. He would be able to shred the label of not winning a ring as second banana. He would move into the top 15 players of all time if he gets a ring as the lead dog on his team

he already is regarded as top 15..usually

JordansBulls
03-29-2009, 11:45 PM
he already is regarded as top 15..usually

Yeah in the 12-18 range.