poppa12645
01-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Free agents available in 09

cb = asomugha, robinsom
olb= suggs, scott boley hill
ilb = lewis, dansby, vilma, crowder, peterson
s= philips, atogwe, jones
te= daniels, smith

i know we are going to address a lot of these in the draft but not everyone we draft is going to make an immediate impact some of these players can make an impact right away. I really like dansby from arizona. Some of these guys want way too much money what if any of these free agents do you guys think we can pick up??

holywack17
01-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Id like to see the pats go after Crowder if he doesn't resign......Atogwe would be a nice pick up as he seems to be coming into his own the last couple of years.

poppa12645
01-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Crowder is a definite possibility since he not asking for a ridiculous amount of money and doliphins don't want to pay him. he can produce on the field

Super.
01-26-2009, 05:26 PM
A. The first concern should be the secondary
B. Crowder plays for who? Parcells, therefore will NOT go after him (besides him and light in the same locker room?)
C. The pats will prolly make another run at a Ravens LB...man they ALWAYS have great LBs....

futureheisman
01-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Would love to see Suggs here. i think he would do very well with Mayo Thomas and Vrabel. i think the Patriots will go younger with LB and draft someone like Brian Cushing.

The Intimidator
01-26-2009, 06:26 PM
A. The first concern should be the secondary
B. Crowder plays for who? Parcells, therefore will NOT go after him (besides him and light in the same locker room?)
C. The pats will prolly make another run at a Ravens LB...man they ALWAYS have great LBs....

A. Agreed.

B. What is the point you're trying to make here? Just because a player plays for a team affiliated with Parcells we won't try to sign him? That's ridiculous. If anything, you would think that we should make an effort to bring Crowder in, because it would strengthen our team while weakening a divisional opponent at the same time. Besides, Belichick and Parcells have patched up their relationship over the past few years.

C. Sure, we may make a run at a Ravens LB, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. This story pretty much says it all: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens26jan26,0,872907.story

poppa12645
01-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Would love to see Suggs here. i think he would do very well with Mayo Thomas and Vrabel. i think the Patriots will go younger with LB and draft someone like Brian Cushing.

I agree with you I just read on the site that the Ravens are looking to sign all three back to their roster. A lot of mock drafts have us taking an outside linebacker. We don't usually pay big money to CBs so I don't see any big name CB's coming to the Pats. As for Light and Crowder in the same locker room with leadership in the locker room that would get squashed very quickly. We need another young player at ILB I don't think 54 has much left in him.

Crowder in last three seasons
08 15games played 113 tackles 92 solo
07 11games played 78 tackles 61 solo
06 16 gp 103 t 60 solo

not bad production and if we could sign him for cheap why not

as much as I would like Some Ravens on the Pats they carry a very hefty price tag

tonyd3b54
01-26-2009, 07:46 PM
id like to see dansby hes young and pretty good

poppa12645
01-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Dansby is a very good OLB sure tackler good stats this year

16 gp 119 tackles 95 solo 4 sacks 2ints

I would like to see more in the sack department but this could be because of the system hes in

poppa12645
01-27-2009, 10:45 AM
What do you guys think of Jim Leonhard from the ravens?

Ewagner
01-27-2009, 11:35 AM
I would be shocked to see the patriots make a big splash signing this off season. most of our players will come in the draft. i don't believe there is a player out there that could truly help us that we could not get in the draft at a much cheaper price. lewis, aso, and suggs are all great players but come with big price tags. i would prefer to build through the draft like we have in the past. the only signing i could see come is for a guard if we miss out on duke robinson in the draft because i do not believe there is another player in the draft that can be plugged in to play guard and we need to upgrade from yates and neal.

The Intimidator
01-27-2009, 12:23 PM
What do you guys think of Jim Leonhard from the ravens?

He's done a pretty good job filling in, but don't forget how many fantastic players the Ravens have on that defense. When your defense is that good, it's easy to look like a stud. He would be a good complimentary player, but I wouldn't bring him in to start, that's for sure.

poppa12645
01-27-2009, 06:35 PM
He's done a pretty good job filling in, but don't forget how many fantastic players the Ravens have on that defense. When your defense is that good, it's easy to look like a stud. He would be a good complimentary player, but I wouldn't bring him in to start, that's for sure.

I agree with you to an extent. I didn't see any regular season Ravens games but I did see the playoffs games and his name kept getting called. I believe he would be an upgrade from Saunders who couldn't cover a toliet with his *** if he had to ****! While drafting a saftey and having them compete in training camp

BostonFan4life
01-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I know this isn't a thread for the draft but since everyone is talking about how we will fill our needs in the draft, do the pats get a compensatory pick for losing Asante? and if we do what is it? Im just wondering because if thats the case we will have so many picks in this draft if we do trade cassel and i believe BB is gonna trade some picks for future picks or good players in this league and rebuild this team for a big run this year barring injuries (God forbid).

poppa12645
01-28-2009, 12:05 AM
I know this isn't a thread for the draft but since everyone is talking about how we will fill our needs in the draft, do the pats get a compensatory pick for losing Asante? and if we do what is it? Im just wondering because if thats the case we will have so many picks in this draft if we do trade cassel and i believe BB is gonna trade some picks for future picks or good players in this league and rebuild this team for a big run this year barring injuries (God forbid).

Yes I m not sure what we are getting for Asante but from what I read its going to be a third or forth rounder. As for Cassel hopefully we trade for an immediate impact defensive player or current and or future draft pic

griff141
01-28-2009, 02:15 AM
I doubt we'll be big players in free agency this year especially with a very uncertain 2010 on the horizon.

shanefitzgerald
01-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I'd love to see The pats get carlos dansby and kenny phillips and then draft a corner because the safties aren't great in this draft

The Intimidator
01-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I'd love to see The pats get carlos dansby and kenny phillips and then draft a corner because the safties aren't great in this draft

Kenny Phillips was just drafted this past year. He's not hitting free agency for a while.

Ewagner
01-28-2009, 05:43 PM
i would happy if the patriots locked up some of the guys we have currently long term and signed some second tier free agents to backup. i think they will be able to fill some of the wholes we have in the draft

Super.
02-01-2009, 12:54 PM
A. Agreed.

B. What is the point you're trying to make here? Just because a player plays for a team affiliated with Parcells we won't try to sign him? That's ridiculous. If anything, you would think that we should make an effort to bring Crowder in, because it would strengthen our team while weakening a divisional opponent at the same time. Besides, Belichick and Parcells have patched up their relationship over the past few years.

C. Sure, we may make a run at a Ravens LB, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. This story pretty much says it all: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens26jan26,0,872907.story

its not that they have a rocky reletionship

its about respect. Parcels had the opportunity to sign Viniteri after he ran out of NE. didnt even look at him. Im not talking about bad reletionships, im talking about the respect that coaches who taught other coaches have. people like mangina dont understand that

redsox1520
02-02-2009, 08:00 PM
I would be really surprised to see the Patriots doing anything major in terms of FA this offseason. They will probably have Cassel with 14.5 million, so they cant really sign any one until they possibly trade him. I actually see the Pats cutting costs this year, then splurging next year when Seymour comes off the books.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them add a couple of good role players, that could be surprises.
I think we should draft some secondary definitely. I am so pissed that Mays went back to USC.

#37SHS#37
02-02-2009, 11:23 PM
your forgetting about marcus trufant for cb's hes a stud and also this year adrian wilson of the cardinals might be someone involved in trade rumors( he is a MONSTER)
now depending on what the pats do in the draft i would like to see certain players
say we draft a vontae davis or malcom jenkins... id like to see dansby suggs or lewis here lewis seems moe realistic than suggs because we sorta have a thing for older lb's
if we go lb in the draft like a cushing maualuga or curry then id like to see us go after trufant and or atogwe. atogwe is coming into his own as a very good player and trufant is just a beast in a bad situation in seattle
but anyways two players above all of these free agents i would want to sign would be nnamdi asomugha or michael boley
nnamdi is the best ....yes THE BEST.... cover corner in the game right now and i believe is going to be turning 28 this year
and michael boley is a stud on the low who is only 26!!!!!!
other than that we NEED to resign vince wilfork and keep our d line together because they are still relatively young and extremely talented as well

#37SHS#37
02-02-2009, 11:27 PM
i forgot to mention though that we wnt be signing nnamdi as he will command a monster contract and we wont be getting him i just thoguht it would be nice to point out how good he was and how much id love to have him

magichatnumber9
02-03-2009, 02:29 PM
osumugha should be a serious priority.. I believe Wheatly will rock next season. so we can use Hobbs for special teams.. about the only thing he is good at.

magichatnumber9
02-03-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't want to hear anything about not being able to afford this and that. Kraft never uses the max cap

magichatnumber9
02-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Oh and the drafting.. other then Mayo.. who was a sure thing anyway. The Pats need to be more smart about who they draft.

The Intimidator
02-03-2009, 02:35 PM
I don't want to hear anything about not being able to afford this and that. Kraft never uses the max cap

No one in here says that the Patriots can't afford to bring in top free agents. What we say is that the Patriots rarely splurge on these players, and that is the truth. So no one in here says that we can't afford Asomugha, they say that he'll cost a lot of money that we probably aren't willing to spend. There's a difference there.

BTW, you could have fit all of your opinions in one post, rather than 3.

Ewagner
02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
the free agents i can see the pats maybe bringing in are
Jabari Greer CB Bills
Mike Furrey WR Lions
Jim Kleinsasser TE Vikings
Zach Thomas ILB Cowboys
Chris Crocker S Bengals

guys who are long shots
Terrell Suggs OLB - Ravens
Sean Jones - SS -Browns

Ray Lewis - ILB - Ravens is being pursued by the cowboys heavily so i doubt we have any chance at him