PDA

View Full Version : NBA Screw Ups!

twoearl
01-25-2009, 07:51 PM
It just baffles me sometimes that these so called experts do so some many stupid moves. I promise I could do a heck of alot better than some of these GMs out here! Here is my list of a few stupid moves off the top of my head.... add any others you may know of

- Jason Kidd trade for D. Harris - so let me get this straight. You trade a young good point guard for and old, washed up, point guard. I hope mark cuban enjoys watching d.harris in the all star game...lol

- Lamarcus Aldridge trade for Tyrus Thomas - man I saw this coming. Time and time again nba scouts fall in love with tall, athletic dunkers. All TT did at LSU was dunk, and somehow he became a top 5 pick...lol

- Marvin Williams over chris paul - again, all marvin did at NC was dunk. Scouts like suckers fell in love with his height and dunking. Marvin is a ok player but paul will be in the hall of fame. LOL

- darko milicic - wow, Joe D might have passed on 3 hall of fame players...melo, wade and Bosh. This might be the most f'ed up move of all time, even worse than bowie over jordan.

- Wizards and agent 0 - wow, how does it feel paying 500 billion dollars to your star who hasnt seen a game in a very long time. Arenas is not only overpaid, he is a cancer to a team, not a leader and takes alot of bad shots. good luck DC.

DitchDat
01-25-2009, 07:55 PM
It just baffles me sometimes that these so called experts do so some many stupid moves. I promise I could do a heck of alot better than some of these GMs out here! Here is my list of a few stupid moves off the top of my head.... add any others you may know of

- Jason Kidd trade for D. Harris - so let me get this straight. You trade a young good point guard for and old, washed up, point guard. I hope mark cuban enjoys watching d.harris in the all star game...lol

- Lamarcus Aldridge trade for Tyrus Thomas - man I saw this coming. Time and time again nba scouts fall in love with tall, athletic dunkers. All TT did at LSU was dunk, and somehow he became a top 5 pick...lol

- Marvin Williams over chris paul - again, all marvin did at NC was dunk. Scouts like suckers fell in love with his height and dunking. Marvin is a ok player but paul will be in the hall of fame. LOL

- darko milicic - wow, Joe D might have passed on 3 hall of fame players...melo, wade and Bosh. This might be the most f'ed up move of all time, even worse than bowie over jordan.

- Wizards and agent 0 - wow, how does it feel paying 500 billion dollars to your star who hasnt seen a game in a very long time. Arenas is not only overpaid, he is a cancer to a team, not a leader and takes alot of bad shots. good luck DC.

Thank you, try telling it to a Wizards fan though.

astrosmaniac
01-25-2009, 07:57 PM

that was all cuban. hes not an expert, hes an over involved owner, just like al davis and jerry jones. his team was struggling and panicked because the suns traded from shaq.

isuk
01-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Man am i glad to be a lakers fan.

T.O.Fan:)
01-25-2009, 08:09 PM
how about
kobe for vlad divac (this one bothers me cause this little s h i t didn't want to report)
vc for ......nothing

SplenidSplinter
01-25-2009, 08:10 PM
How about AI for Billups? Terrible deal for Detroit.

SplenidSplinter
01-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Two more:

MICHAEL OLAWAKANDI!! Yikes

ANd the Celtics trading Joe Johnson to Phoenix for Rodney Rogers. That one still stings.

bctgg27
01-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Jason Kidd was/is not washed up. He was getting triple doubles b4 the trade. The Mavs needed a guy who could distribute to ball well and that's what Jason Kidd is best at. Maybe Cuban gave up a bit too much, but your reason for why it was a bad move is not right.

rsboston007
01-25-2009, 08:21 PM
i still cant get over that trade that the celtics made of joe johnson just imagine what the celtics be with joe johnson now

Havoc Wreaker
01-25-2009, 08:26 PM
RS...if boston had JJ, I doubt they'd have RA and who knows about KG, so they'd be about the same, a bit younger tho.

Twoearl, The trade for Kidd....The Mavs thought they were ready to go all the way and only needed a PG, Harris was still developing and Kidd is proven, he is on the decline but he still puts up above average #s, his only problem is he is a bad shot, but then again when he dishes out 8APG and grabs 6Rebs it about evens out.

bctgg27
01-25-2009, 08:32 PM
RS...if boston had JJ, I doubt they'd have RA and who knows about KG, so they'd be about the same, a bit younger tho.

Twoearl, The trade for Kidd....The Mavs thought they were ready to go all the way and only needed a PG, Harris was still developing and Kidd is proven, he is on the decline but he still puts up above average #s, his only problem is he is a bad shot, but then again when he dishes out 8APG and grabs 6Rebs it about evens out.
Eaxactly what I am saying.

codes238
01-25-2009, 08:38 PM
how about every single move isiah ever did except drafting david lee... i know its been talked about to death but i still feel like people just dont understand how truly horrible of a gm this guy was... do you guys understand he traded eddy curry for a number 2 overall draft pick and cap space and then signed jerome james to a huge deal that same year!? unreal!

SplenidSplinter
01-25-2009, 08:39 PM
If the Celtics kept Joe Johnson, who is soooo much better than Ray right now, they would still be able to have KJ, and could have kept the 5th pick in the draft last year. Plus we could have kept Jefferson and Gomes. Damn- Talking about a team. Oh well, I still like the '08 ring.

T.O.Fan:)
01-25-2009, 08:47 PM
isiah made brutal trades but his draft was good ...

Draco
01-25-2009, 08:50 PM

You didn't even do a heck of a job researching why these GM's made their decisions. Perhaps you wouldn't be so baffled if you had. There was no concensus 1 through 5 in 2006. Mock drafts fluctuated throughout the year not based on the perceived talent of the players but on which teams were likely to make picks based on their own analysis. Everyone knew Colangelo was going to take Bargnani at #1.. even though no other team would have taken him that high. The Bull's goal was to add athleticism and the possibility of getting a super star. Super stars play above the rim and TT can do that.. unfortunately he didn't live up to expectations. But you win with superstars and those are almost always obtained at the high end of the draft. In other words, the idea was to use the #2 on a potential superstar rather than on a player who gives you 17 ppg and 6 rbs. Obviously the Bull's lost that gamble. But that's the rational behind that trade.

Draco
01-25-2009, 08:51 PM
how about every single move isiah ever did except drafting david lee... i know its been talked about to death but i still feel like people just dont understand how truly horrible of a gm this guy was... do you guys understand he traded eddy curry for a number 2 overall draft pick and cap space and then signed jerome james to a huge deal that same year!? unreal!

IIRC, and I might be wrong.. but I think Larry Brown put that bug in Isiah's ear.

Lakers09
01-25-2009, 09:05 PM
hindsight is 20/20
nuff said

thegreatone08
01-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Gasol to Lakers?? Might be the biggest steal in NBA history.

Morgan
01-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Phoenix just basically gave Boston Rajon Rondo for a draft pick that the Celts got from Cleveland anyways and, Phoenix could really use Rondo right about now. It must have stung even more when Rondo went off vs. the Suns last week and ran circles around Steve Nash. At least the Celtics got the Suns back for the Joe Johnson - Rodney Rogers trade though.

mitty0507
01-25-2009, 09:35 PM
how about the wolves? Kevin McHale has done nothing but negative for that poor team. Theoretically they could've had a backcourt of Roy and Mayo but they'd rather trade for Foye who won't be anything and Kevin Love who won't be worth a top 5 pick anytime soon. I think that deserves an award for sumthin.

SplenidSplinter
01-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Good call Mitty. McHale has to be one of the worst evaluators of talent in the history of the game. They thought he was going to be like Larry on the Pacers(who has not done so hot recently either, but a heck of a lot better than K Mc). I am just waiting for some team to bring in Robert Parish as a GM. Ainge is already one. Ridiculous.

twoearl
01-25-2009, 10:10 PM

The idea of the trade was to take the mavs to the finals, and obviously that failed terribly. Did you watch the playoffs that year? Every point guard he faced, put up numbers on him. It was just a bad sight, kinda embarrassing for jkidd if you ask me.

i will bet 400 bucks Cuban would give his right arm to take that trade back

twoearl
01-25-2009, 10:17 PM
You didn't even do a heck of a job researching why these GM's made their decisions. Perhaps you wouldn't be so baffled if you had. There was no concensus 1 through 5 in 2006. Mock drafts fluctuated throughout the year not based on the perceived talent of the players but on which teams were likely to make picks based on their own analysis. Everyone knew Colangelo was going to take Bargnani at #1.. even though no other team would have taken him that high. The Bull's goal was to add athleticism and the possibility of getting a super star. Super stars play above the rim and TT can do that.. unfortunately he didn't live up to expectations. But you win with superstars and those are almost always obtained at the high end of the draft. In other words, the idea was to use the #2 on a potential superstar rather than on a player who gives you 17 ppg and 6 rbs. Obviously the Bull's lost that gamble. But that's the rational behind that trade.

if anyone thought TT would be a superstar they need to have had their head exam. He had no shot, no handles, no post up game, no floor awareness. He was basically just playing off athleticism. Now the bulls are probably going to trade TT soon and Aldridge will probably be in the all-star game in the near future. Good Job Paxson!

DerekRE_3
01-25-2009, 10:22 PM
How about my Bobcats drafting Adam Morrison over Brandon Roy? We had Gerald Wallace at the 3 already (the position that Adam Morrison plays) and we needed a 2 guard(Matt Carroll I believe was starting there at the time).

Draco
01-25-2009, 10:44 PM
if anyone thought TT would be a superstar they need to have had their head exam. He had no shot, no handles, no post up game, no floor awareness. He was basically just playing off athleticism. Now the bulls are probably going to trade TT soon and Aldridge will probably be in the all-star game in the near future. Good Job Paxson!

The presumption was TT would learn to do those things and if anyone thought Roy would have been a superstar they would have taken him with the first pick. Congratulations on thinking you could do a better job than a lot of GM's because you're armed with the knowledge that 20/20 hindsight brings.

DerekRE_3
01-25-2009, 11:03 PM
The presumption was TT would learn to do those things and if anyone thought Roy would have been a superstar they would have taken him with the first pick. Congratulations on thinking you could do a better job than a lot of GM's because you're armed with the knowledge that 20/20 hindsight brings.

I could have done a better job than MJ in the 2006 draft. Because I would have picked Brandon Roy, I wanted him from the beginning.

acohn1230
01-25-2009, 11:06 PM

...not really

thats how it was looking, except the grizzlies got a lot of draft pieces out of that (most recently, marc gasol--whos a beast)

now the grizz have a great young nucleus of talent. they simply got rid of their star for their future.

Mayo, Gay, and Gasol will be big for years to come...

MilfHunter07
01-25-2009, 11:10 PM
How about my Bobcats drafting Adam Morrison over Brandon Roy? We had Gerald Wallace at the 3 already (the position that Adam Morrison plays) and we needed a 2 guard(Matt Carroll I believe was starting there at the time).

Til this day i still wonder why Jordan made that move. :violin:

MilfHunter07
01-25-2009, 11:12 PM

Why do people keep saying that? The Grizzles got M.Gasol, Aurther, a young PG, plus another 1st round pick and cap room all for Gasol. If your a rebuilding team i would of been happy with this trade.:rolleyes:

Draco
01-25-2009, 11:14 PM
I could have done a better job than MJ in the 2006 draft. Because I would have picked Brandon Roy, I wanted him from the beginning.

You're missing the point.. if Brian C. knew Roy was to this date the best player from that draft then Brian C. would most assuredly have taken Roy at #1.

Everyone can probably at some point in time and maybe on a few occassions they were thinking something other than what a GM had done that turned out even better. That's called luck. There's no doubt in my mind that GM's are more plugged into players than fans.

MilfHunter07
01-25-2009, 11:21 PM
You're missing the point.. if Brian C. knew Roy was to this date the best player from that draft then Brian C. would most assuredly have taken Roy at #1.

Everyone can probably at some point in time and maybe on a few occassions they were thinking something other than what a GM had done that turned out even better. That's called luck. There's no doubt in my mind that GM's are more plugged into players than fans.

That's not the point he's trying to get across. The point his trying to get across is if the Bobcats have Wallace already why would they draft Matt, while SG was a position of need and they let Roy slip.:rolleyes: Only time i could see a team doing this is when it's a can't miss player.

IversonIsKrazy
01-25-2009, 11:33 PM

THis was Joe Johnson's fault. he told the hawks he will play point. they were going to select CP3, but chose Marvin because joe said he'll take over point. then after 10-20 games, joe moved to the 2-spot and they had a hole in the point. imagine if they had a CP, Johnson back-court, my god that would be deadly!

twoearl
01-26-2009, 12:46 AM

I agree, with hindsight everyone is a genius, but some trades are just downright awful. Moves made out of panic, misinformation and improper analysis.

The bulls needed a big man, would could score. LA was a proven scorer in college and had the tools to get better. But instead the bulls gambled on a dunker and I believe that trade set them back 3 years. THey were on the verge of being an elite team again and paxon screwed it up.

mjt20mik
01-26-2009, 01:21 AM
It's funny how Drafting Andrea Bargnani number 1 overall, isn't on this list. Where are all the haters now?

Draco
01-26-2009, 01:36 AM
I agree, with hindsight everyone is a genius, but some trades are just downright awful. Moves made out of panic, misinformation and improper analysis.

The bulls needed a big man, would could score. LA was a proven scorer in college and had the tools to get better. But instead the bulls gambled on a dunker and I believe that trade set them back 3 years. THey were on the verge of being an elite team again and paxon screwed it up.

The Bulls needed star talent more than they needed a big man and they drafted TT with that in mind. How did you arrive at 3 years? With Aldridge, the Bull's don't have Rose who's a far better talent. With Aldridge and without Rose the Bull's don't have a team that gets past the Celts, Cav's or Magic. If anything set the Bulls back in years it's Jay Williams motorcycle accident. Everything else was a calculated move that carried risk. The draft is largely a crap shoot. Some selections pan out and some don't which is the way the story goes for every GM in the league.

hotpotato1092
01-26-2009, 01:49 AM
What about the Knicks trading for Starbury?

Ollie Tabooger
01-26-2009, 02:01 AM
Dirk Nowitski for Tractor Traylor

Randy Foye for Brandon Roy

Caron Butler for Kwame Brown

Bucks drafting Yi Jianlian. i hate that guy

JJ81
01-26-2009, 11:13 AM
The Pau Gasol trade... what were Memphis thinking?

BTownTeamsRKing
01-26-2009, 11:36 AM

i have to agree with u. i took the same stance on all of these beleive it ot not except arenas.

i also was against trading OJ Mayo for kevin love.

BTownTeamsRKing
01-26-2009, 11:37 AM
It's funny how Drafting Andrea Bargnani number 1 overall, isn't on this list. Where are all the haters now?

him and bogut were both terrible number 1 overall picks. this guy is supposed to be a star, not a role player.