PDA

View Full Version : We're playing well now but what do we still need?

Luv Da New Pack
01-24-2009, 11:54 PM
I like how the team is playing now. Their sharing the ball and hitting shots they were not at the beginning of the season. To help us progress even more what do you guys think we need to add?

1 - I like how we're scoring and sharing the ball and I believe our offense is doing well but we cannot stop teams. It's seems like we're good at capitalizing on their mistake but we're not MAKING them make those mistakes (if you know what I mean). I think Brewer can help on the perimeter so I guess we need to work more in the post. Actually it seems like it's more weak side and pick-n-roll "D" that we have to work on. We get killed on back cuts.

2 - Can you ever have enough shot-blocking on the roster? How about a shot blocking rebounder at the 5? I'd like him to be able to score somewhat but I'd rather have the rebounds and shot blocking. Bassy and Miller have been spoon feeding guys in the post and I'd like him to be able to capitalize on that but I don't think we need him to try to get 20 a night. Someone who can take up space and clean up messes. Not to say him but someone kinda like Dampier or Pryzbilla.

If I'm missing something I'd like to know. Like I stated before, I haven't watched College ball so I'm not a draft hawk but if you guys see someone that fits a need post it and elaborate. Do you think we should go via draft or trade picks?

IowaAJ
01-25-2009, 12:00 AM
check out the draft thread there is where you can fine everything you need to know. Also check out NBA draft.net, or Draftexpress.com.

I think most people on here believe we need a point guard and a center to clog up the middle. I really like what Telfair has been doing so I don't really know what we need at this point if we can get a star point guard with our pick then we need to him because a good point guard can be a game changer. If you look at every good team most have one thing in commen consistent play from the point guard position. Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Deron Williams, Baron Davis, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Derrick Fisher. I think if we were to look at a need it would be mostly defensively from the point guard position to try and contain some of these players.

The top point guards in this draft are Jrue Holiday of UCLA very good defensively he is 6 ft 4 he is playing shooting guard for them but I think he can play point, Brandon Jennings is the fastest point guard in this draft and has a lot of potential, Ricky Rubio probably not coming out but if he did would be the best point guard, then there are a few other guys like Jeff Teague of Wake Forest, Ty Lawson of UNC, Darren Collison. These last 3 guys will probably go from the 15 th pick on but the first 3 are the top 3 players at the point guard position.

The center position is another position we could look at and there are some very good power forwards/Centers in the draft. Greg Monroe of Georgetown is probably the most skilled big man in the draft he is a lot like Love but more athletic kind of a chris Bosh. Hasheem Thabeet of UCONN is 7 ft 3 and a great shot blocker and very good rebounder but he is still very raw on the offensive side of the ball, Jordan Hill of Arizona is another guy that is very athletic a good rebounder, and has improved his jumper. Those are probably are two main needs because I think we have guys that can score at the post position we just don't have a guy that can intimidate the offense from driving the lane.

Foye is gonna be our starting shooting Guard and Big Al will start at Center, and Love will play power forward. We didn't draft Love to be a backup for Jefferson so I think eventually these 2 guys will be our starting frontcourt. After these 3 players there is still a lot of debate on what we should do.

PurpleJesus
01-25-2009, 12:34 AM
We need a PG and a defensive minded center :horse:

IowaAJ, did you see draftnet's mock draft, they have us taking i think it was two PFs and a SF, god, if we took two PF i would be pretty mad.

WSU Tony
01-25-2009, 04:08 AM
We need a PG and a defensive minded center :horse:

IowaAJ, did you see draftnet's mock draft, they have us taking i think it was two PFs and a SF, god, if we took two PF i would be pretty mad.

We DO need a PG and a defensive minded center.....

They don't take into account team needs until like a week before the draft when they know where everyone is drafting.... right now it's more like a big board than anything.

A championship team needs a good PG. Period. We don't have a good PG.

Aren't you getting sick of watching guards drive into the lane and past Al for an easy layup? I saw a guy drive in the lane, split his defenders, then kick the ball out as soon as he got to Thabeet. We need that for the Wolves. We're already very good at offense, we need defense. Holiday is a very good defender as would be Thabeet.

Hawkeye15
01-25-2009, 01:23 PM
kind of repeating everyone here, but we need an upgrade at PG, and a legit 6'11"+ big man to block shots and rebound. We could also use a slasher at the 3, but Carney and Brewer may end up fitting that mold.

Luv Da New Pack
01-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Question? Do we believe, with experience and having a few more shots called for him, that Telfair cannot reach the "next level"? I was thinking of Parker and thinking he's better in the post but Bassy is a better defender. Do you think that, running more plays for him to work specifically on his floater and lay-ups can significantly help him down the line.

WSU Tony
01-25-2009, 03:53 PM
It doesn't seem like Telfair has any confidence in shooting and would much rather get the ball out of his hands. That's a good thing for a PG, don't get me wrong, but you also need a PG who can hit shots and be respected by the defense.

I don't see Telfair being that guy.

Mauersota
01-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Parker is better then Telfair on defense. Telfair by passing up shots that anyone else on the team would take is probably showing he doesn't have confidence in his shot which is not what you want from your PG. Bassy has plateaued since he can't finish at all at the rim and has trouble hitting consistently.

WSU Tony
01-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Parker is better then Telfair on defense. Telfair by passing up shots that anyone else on the team would take is probably showing he doesn't have confidence in his shot which is not what you want from your PG. Bassy has plateaued since he can't finish at all at the rim and has trouble hitting consistently.

What makes Chris Paul special? He's quick, distributes the ball, gets steals (from being quick) and he HITS SHOTS. I believe Telfair can do all of those things but the last one.

Mauersota
01-25-2009, 04:14 PM
What makes Chris Paul special? He's quick, distributes the ball, gets steals (from being quick) and he HITS SHOTS. I believe Telfair can do all of those things but the last one.

Its the intangibles plus some other stuff. Paul while shorter is like 175 pounds so he has 10+ pounds on Telfair. He plays better defense, is a better, athlete, has range on his shot. I'd take a guy like Flynn who has the unteachable stuff but is less developed with a higher ceiling then a guy like Telfair.

WSU Tony
01-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Its the intangibles plus some other stuff. Paul while shorter is like 175 pounds so he has 10+ pounds on Telfair. He plays better defense, is a better, athlete, has range on his shot. I'd take a guy like Flynn who has the unteachable stuff but is less developed with a higher ceiling then a guy like Telfair.

Your definitely finding the sleepers later in the draft. I would still like to get a 'premier' PG or C in this draft and then find one of your sleepers at that position later. I'm still confident we have what it takes to get Jennings/Holiday, DeRozan, AND that center you were talking about as long as he doesn't sky rocket up the draft boards.

Mauersota
01-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Your definitely finding the sleepers later in the draft. I would still like to get a 'premier' PG or C in this draft and then find one of your sleepers at that position later. I'm still confident we have what it takes to get Jennings/Holiday, DeRozan, AND that center you were talking about as long as he doesn't sky rocket up the draft boards.

If we don't have our pick if it goes to the Clippers I don't really want to see us trade up for various reason. I'd accept a Flynn/Jennings draft at PG and then someone like Thabeet (only way his stock doesn't fall is the Tourny)/Aldrich/or possibly Jerome James if we lose our pick. It isn't the worst thing if we lose our pick this year I guess.

WSU Tony
01-25-2009, 04:39 PM
If we don't have our pick if it goes to the Clippers I don't really want to see us trade up for various reason. I'd accept a Flynn/Jennings draft at PG and then someone like Thabeet (only way his stock doesn't fall is the Tourny)/Aldrich/or possibly Jerome James if we lose our pick. It isn't the worst thing if we lose our pick this year I guess.

If we lose the pick then the Clippers are practially guaranteed a #1 pick. :p

Mauersota
01-25-2009, 05:00 PM
If we lose the pick then the Clippers are practially guaranteed a #1 pick. :p

I am pretty sure if we finish with a record that is outside the bottom ten but still get lucky in the lottery we retain the pick.

WSU Tony
01-25-2009, 05:10 PM
I am pretty sure if we finish with a record that is outside the bottom ten but still get lucky in the lottery we retain the pick.

Ah, they do the pick transfer after the lottery, I get it.

howiend
01-25-2009, 06:37 PM
I think Telfair has been hitting open shots and defenses are respecting him a lot more.

howiend
01-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Telfair is definitely a better shooter than cory brewer. His t.o./assist ratio during this nice run has been good also (the boxscores I look at).

Al_Jefferson25
01-25-2009, 06:39 PM
what ive always thought we needed is a game changing scorer i mean al is awesome and foye is coming along i love the way kevin love offensive rebounds the basket ball but we need someone to carry us on any given night like redd kobe lebron etc... and we also need a good shot blocker i like the rest of the pieces we have and if we could get those things wed be playoff bound seems like most of the elite teams have at least three really good players if we could find that third person wed be so tough

WSU Tony
01-25-2009, 06:45 PM
I think Telfair has been hitting open shots and defenses are respecting him a lot more.

Your looking at it like a homer. Compare how good you think Telfair can be, subtract quite a bit from that, now compare him to PG's in the league. Telfair, imo, will never be in the top half of PG's in this league.

Telfair is definitely a better shooter than cory brewer. His t.o./assist ratio during this nice run has been good also (the boxscores I look at).

Why are we comparing Telfair to Brewer? Compare Telfair to other PG's and you'll be dissapointed

what ive always thought we needed is a game changing scorer i mean al is awesome and foye is coming along i love the way kevin love offensive rebounds the basket ball but we need someone to carry us on any given night like redd kobe lebron etc... and we also need a good shot blocker i like the rest of the pieces we have and if we could get those things wed be playoff bound seems like most of the elite teams have at least three really good players if we could find that third person wed be so tough

We only have 1 top ten pick.... :p Harden could be a game changing scorer and a really good defender. He's pretty balanced but may be a little bit better scorer than defender. Most of the other guys in the top 10 seem to be on or the other...

WSUJJ
01-25-2009, 07:09 PM
One thing I dont want to happen, we just miss the playoffs.. I hope we make it in... or we suck terribly.

IowaAJ
01-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Your looking at it like a homer. Compare how good you think Telfair can be, subtract quite a bit from that, now compare him to PG's in the league. Telfair, imo, will never be in the top half of PG's in this league.

To say Telfair will never be in the top half of the point guards in the league. Maybe not yet but he has improved a lot. How long has Telfair gotten a lot of minutes in most of his career he has not played much. While he has started for us I think he has been very good especially against 2 of the best point guards in the league. VS Darren Williams he had 17 pts and 8 assists and vs Chris Paul he had 8 pts and 8 assists.

He has shot the ball a lot better this year. I think Telfair still has potential to be a very good point guard in this league. He has games where you see his potential and then others when he struggles but I think he can still be very good. A lot of point guards have taken a long time to develope.

WSU Tony
01-25-2009, 08:35 PM
To say Telfair will never be in the top half of the point guards in the league. Maybe not yet but he has improved a lot. How long has Telfair gotten a lot of minutes in most of his career he has not played much. While he has started for us I think he has been very good especially against 2 of the best point guards in the league. VS Darren Williams he had 17 pts and 8 assists and vs Chris Paul he had 8 pts and 8 assists.

He has shot the ball a lot better this year. I think Telfair still has potential to be a very good point guard in this league. He has games where you see his potential and then others when he struggles but I think he can still be very good. A lot of point guards have taken a long time to develope.

Improving and having a high ceiling are very different. You picked out two performances out of 40 games to show me that Telfair is good? Don't you think that's kind of silly? He could be a 'good' PG, but I don't see him being in the top half, that's all.

howiend
01-26-2009, 02:10 AM
Usually in the playoffs the team will play 8 guys and maybe a 9th guy to add flexibility or a specific role. So when I think of the wolves now I would like to see 3 additions.

Upgrade on Craig Smith, someone to team with KLove and Al at pf/c (doesn't have to be a shot blocker, that would be nice but I see KLove and Al improving on defense and it would be nice to have a good all-around player more than a shot blocker who can't pass, shoot, dribble, etc.).

Upgrade on Ryan Gomes - dynamic sf scorer and all-around player

Upgrade at pg - probably a starter with telfair as a backup

So rotation would be new pg, foye, new sf, klove, al j, telfair, miller, carney, new big guy - I think 1 or 2 could be signed as free agents and one or 2 draft choices. In 3 years this could be a contender for the nba title depending on lebron's team and kobe's status.

Preuss-is-right
01-26-2009, 02:28 AM
As of right now I really dont see any glaring immediate needs. We are the best team so far this year :P

WSU Tony
01-26-2009, 10:28 AM
PG..... C.....

Our need is for the strength of schedule to stay at rock bottom..... that's our real need.

thesparky33
01-26-2009, 01:42 PM
As of right now I really dont see any glaring immediate needs. We are the best team so far this year :P

I agree. Obviously we dont have a perfect team, but I think our team is pretty balanced, and the roles we have out there are pretty balanced. I like the progress we've made in our rebuilding so far.

WSU Tony
01-26-2009, 01:45 PM
I agree. Obviously we dont have a perfect team, but I think our team is pretty balanced, and the roles we have out there are pretty balanced. I like the progress we've made in our rebuilding so far.

I'm very impressed with Carney but I could be saying that falling into the 'what have you done for me recently' trap. Foye has been red hot other than the last game and Love does well when given minutes. Al continues to be a productive black hole.

I agree we've come a ways but I think we still need at least 1 legit PG or center if we want to do anything in this league.

thesparky33
01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm very impressed with Carney but I could be saying that falling into the 'what have you done for me recently' trap. Foye has been red hot other than the last game and Love does well when given minutes. Al continues to be a productive black hole.

I agree we've come a ways but I think we still need at least 1 legit PG or center if we want to do anything in this league.

Yeah.

I think having a center, or at least another big man to put next to Al is a big priority... someone with height more specifically, and someone with sound defense. I really think we're in a bitter/sweet situation with Love, because him and Big Al play wonderfully together, but defensively against top frontcourts, we'll get burned. I still think they could be a starting rotation for our future, but having a solid big man available on the bench for those rare matchups when we'd need him with Al would be a big addition.

I think that if we were wanting to advance in the playoffs, we'd need that big man, but right now, we're not even making the playoffs, so we still have the draft/FA in the next 2 or so years to address that, maybe most notably the 2010 offseason, and just get a solid defensive center. I know people dont think we could get a superstar cuz we're in Minny, but we have the money available, and players wanna get paid, no matter where it is. Like Tubby Smith said regarding recruiting for a "cold Minnesota college team", he said, "we play indoors here".

WSU Tony
01-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Harden, Holiday, Jennings, and Thabeet. Those are my top guys on the list. Unfortunately we're well out of that range unless we want to give up a pretty big piece.

WSUJJ
01-27-2009, 12:34 AM
One thing I dont want to happen, we just miss the playoffs.. I hope we make it in... or we suck terribly

IowaAJ
01-27-2009, 01:43 AM
here is a good article I wasn't sure where to put it so I thought it fit in here since we are talking about are players mostly and how they have been playing so well

Center Al Jefferson, rookie forward Kevin Love, and guards Randy Foye and Sebastian Telfair have been playing excellent ball recently as well. Jefferson has posted 14 double-doubles since the coaching change and has scored 20 or more points 19 times; four times going for 30-plus.

Love has posted five double-doubles, but hit double digits in rebounds 11 times over the same stretch. Before the coaching change he had done it just three times with three double-doubles.

Telfair is averaging 10.8 points, 6.4 assists and 1.1 steals in January, by far his best stretch of the season. He is only shooting 38% overall from the field, but a very respectable 40% from three-point range.

Foye has gone for 20 or more points eight times since the coaching change and is averaging 19.7 points and 4.5 assists while shooting 46% from the field and beyond the arc in January.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11343

howiend
01-27-2009, 10:58 AM
One thing I like about the wolves is how they have different guys that can score/shoot well on a given night. Against the Bulls, Carney saved us. Against the Buck, Gomes saved us. As mentioned in this post, Telfair has had some nice shooting games. We get pretty solid consistency from Al. If we continue getting consistency from Foye. Then we need good shooting nights from 2 other guys out of Miller, Gomes, Telfair, Love, Smith, Carney. Seems like that is what has been happening during this good stretch. Maybe this makes the wolves a better team long-term to have balance rather than the same guys who want their shots/points every night?

WSU Tony
01-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Telfair has been shooting well from behind the arc but not so well inside of it. He has been doing pretty well though, your right.