PDA

View Full Version : NHL Allstar weekend

Frrrrank!!!
01-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Just got done watching the sat. night festivities. Congrats to Wheeler for the young stars MVP and congrats to Chara winning the hardest slap shot contest with a 105.4 mph shot!:clap:

Shaiza
01-24-2009, 11:37 PM
And Savard was SO CLOSE!

Frrrrank!!!
01-25-2009, 12:01 AM
And Savard was SO CLOSE!

Yea he was, I liked how Thomas gave him a goal at the end, then gave each other the :hi5:

mattybeingmatty
01-25-2009, 12:05 AM
I just posted this in the main forum, but might as well paste in here, as well.

I'll admit, I wasn't really looking forward to the skills competition this year, due to being severely unimpressed by last year's. I really thought it was in decline, and I had definitely lost a lot of interest. I was wrong. This years competition was very entertaining, IMO.

I thought the changes in the trick shot comp worked much better. They still can't get the winner right, as Getzlaf's wrap-around goal, to me, was clearly the best. But I guess Ovechkin won a lot of style points with the hat and shades. When you leave it up to the fans, it will always be a popularity contest. Oh well. Nice to see him and Malkin having fun together, as their rivalry and dislike for each other gets built up in the media. There is still room for improvement with this event, but I think it's improved greatly from last year's format.

I also really like the change in the breakaway challenge to elimination style. Really brought me back to when I played, and we'd finish our practices with the same thing. Kind of cheap, but pretty funny play by Thomas to give that one to Savard.

The youngstars game was highly entertaining, as well. The rookies really dominated. Wheeler looked fantastic out there, and the back and forth goal between Stamkos and Boedker was a beauty. Setoguchi's goal was really nice too. A lot of great young talent was displayed. I just wish I would have been able to see Krejci out there with all that room to work with.

And finally, excellent work on the part of Chara for initiating the wager on the hardest shot. Obviously, the cause was great, but it also generated some extra excitement around the event, and gave the players that extra bit of drive. Than Chara after talking the talk, walked the walk, by surpassing Al Iafrate's all-time mark. Very nice move on the part of the league to contribute to the prize pool. It would be very cool if that became a tradition.

Hockeyras
01-25-2009, 12:21 AM
I still must say I think it was very class-less by the Montreal fans to boo Boston players and Toronto players...plus the opening song made me laugh at how pathetic it was...but overall not bad

The Intimidator
01-25-2009, 03:38 AM
My thoughts:

Chara was awesome, winning the record for hardest shot at 105.4 mph! :clap:

Wheeler's 5 point performance may have boosted his candidacy for rookie of the year! :clap:

Nice job by Timmy and Marc, they held their own out there. :clap:

And finally: MONTREAL FANS SUCK. Booing Bruins players, during All-Star Game festivities, is just ********. Put the rivalry, which is one-sidedly in our favor right now, aside for 2 nights. SCREW THE HABS AND THEIR FANS.

DaaBoTownSox
01-25-2009, 03:55 AM
Yea he was, I liked how Thomas gave him a goal at the end, then gave each other the :hi5:

The Montreal fans didn't like that :D

Red_Sox_89
01-25-2009, 10:16 AM
105.4 :drool:

The Intimidator
01-25-2009, 11:12 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articles/2009/01/25/chara_has_a_blast___with_good_cause/

Good for Big Z. Not only did he win the competition, but he won money for a charity. This shows the kind of person he is. :clap:

lanigan119
01-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Eh, what can you really expect out of the fans? I'm guessing Canadiens wouldn't that get that loud of a cheer here in Boston, or a Celtic in LA or a Red Sox in New York if they all had all star games. I was expecting it, I just didn't think all three Bruins would come out within four people followed by all the Canadiens. The boo's seemed louder and the cheers seemed louder after.

Besides that - How boring is that Speed Competition? I don't know what they could do to it, but they need to alter it. Don't replace it because I think speed on skates is a talent. But, I don't know, make it so they have to go around some cones, beat a defender and then put it in from the blue line. Maybe combine a couple events together and involve accuracy speed and power or something. Spice that event up sometime soon though.

The break-a-way challenge was decent, but I think they need to make it so there are judges back and that you have to score the goal for it to count, kind of similar to the Slam Dunk contest. I thought the Ovechkin dress-up was huge for this contest. It's getting there though.

The rookies/sophomores game was really fun. I like the once faceoff idea and constant play. I think the coverage of it sucked. Good for Blake Wheeler for his game though he didn't pass as much as I expected haha.

The hardest shot was awesome. I got real nervous when the guy nailed 103.4 but settled down when Chara's first shot hit 103.3. I knew that Chara would nail it then. An awesome idea for Chara to put all that money and awesome for all the other players, the NHL, the players' teams, and Chara said the NHLPA did too. Awesome idea. Congrats to Chara for the record.

The elimination shootout was my favorite part. I thought Chara was hilarious and I really wish Chara hit that move against Timmy. Timmy was pretty impressive through out.

Shaiza
01-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Chara got a huge ovation after his record breaking shot.

The Intimidator
01-25-2009, 10:10 PM
East All-Stars win, 12-11 in a shootout. The winning goaltender was Timmy Thomas!

dmb
01-26-2009, 12:12 AM
It was fun overall, great to see both sides play it well

DaaBoTownSox
01-26-2009, 02:04 AM
East All-Stars win, 12-11 in a shootout. The winning goaltender was Timmy Thomas!

Should have gotten MVP.

Danman1116
01-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Should have gotten MVP.

Agreed. And if Timmy didn't make a couople outstanding saves, it surely would've been the West that one so Montreal fans be happy with Timmy's performance!

The Intimidator
01-26-2009, 12:51 PM
When Montreal fans applaud a Bruins player's efforts, you know he must have done a fantastic job!

dmb
01-26-2009, 01:59 PM
I wonder about the MVP award though, I mean sure he scored two goals but was he a true standout?

abourne13
01-26-2009, 02:05 PM
I wonder about the MVP award though, I mean sure he scored two goals but was he a true standout?

To me, he was a standout. The only other 2 players that stood out for me were St. Louis and Thomas. Although I hate the guy, and I hate the team, I thought Kovalev deserved the MVP award.

On another note, how weird was it to hear Montreal fans cheering so loudly for Thomas at the end of regulation and in the shootout?? It was sooooooo weird for me, but it was great to see that they arent total *******s :D

Hockeyras
01-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Not everyone there was Habs fans...so yeah lol...and most of them were too drunk to realize it was a Bruin in nets...and just one point...they Booed Chara when he had the puck...yeah...Montreal fans suck but that makes the rivalry even better I guess