PDA

View Full Version : This is why Players comments mean nothing. Gary Payton on Tim Duncan

JordansBulls
01-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Source: MySanAntonio (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/01/gary-payton-has.html)

Yes, Payton told a national TV audience Thursday night that Duncan didn't deserve to start the All-Star Game, and that Minnesota's Al Jefferson did. Duncan swears he didn't see that particular comment, and besides, Duncan said, "I don't make statements to Gary Payton.

Some of Duncan's teammates, however, were more than happy to.

Here's Michael Finley, talking about Payton: "A lot of guys get out of the game and forget they played the game." And Tony Parker: "Everybody can have an opinion. We all know Timmy's an All-Star."

Roger Mason Jr. did not see Thursday's All-Star announcement and Payton's subsequent foot-in-mouth parlor trick. Informed after Friday's game, Mason looked at me as if I'd just told him Payton was pushing Cloris Leachman for Miss Teen USA.

"He said what?" Mason asked. I repeated it.

"Wow," Mason replied. "Has he not seen Tim play this year?"

Some other quick observations from tonight's game:

Duncan unfazed by Payton protest
Mike Monroe

Spurs power forward Tim Duncan was not glued to his TV set for Thursday's televised announcement of the All-Star Game starters, so he missed former All-Star Gary Payton's dismissive comments about him.

Except for Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, Duncan received more All-Star votes than any Western Conference player at any position. Payton, commenting on the TNT telecast on which the announcement was made, took exception to his selection by fans worldwide.

Not only did Payton say he believed Minnesota's Al Jefferson was more deserving of an All-Star spot, he asserted that Jefferson was capable of making the Spurs just as good a team as Duncan has.

“I didn't hear what he said,” Duncan said before the Spurs took the floor at the AT&T Center on Friday night to face the New Jersey Nets, “but I heard a lot about what he said.”

Duncan said he had no clue why Payton might have such negative feelings about him.

His response was typical Duncan: 14 points and seven rebounds in the first quarter against the Nets.

DrDEADalready
01-24-2009, 03:22 PM
They both deserve to be in there. But you have to go with Duncan. Weird payton would say that.

madiaz3
01-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Even if you were to argue they both deserve to be...to START OVER Tim? That's ridiculous.

YankeeFan89
01-24-2009, 03:38 PM
They both deserve to be in there. But you have to go with Duncan. Weird payton would say that.

Agreed

jasondrobinson
01-24-2009, 03:41 PM
jefferson is a great big but not deserving over timmy d, plus spurs are what 2nd in the west? wolves are 10th? gary is in a idiot

ProdigyI
01-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Ok Guys think about this. I hate Payton. He's the worst analyst in sports IMO. BUT

Jefferson is averaging MORE rebounds.

Jefferson is averaging MORE points.

Also, think about it this way.

If you were to put Jefferson in Duncan's place right NOW, and Duncan in Jefferson's place right NOW, don't you think the records would be about the same? I do

You can't pick a guy like Duncan just because he's been there and he's done that. Same thing applies with the MVP race last year. CP3 helped his team a lot more than Kobe did, yet Kobe won the MVP because he was "due" or "Next in line" you can say.

People were saying CP3 had to wait his turn and that's just ****ing ******** IMO.

But that's how the system works and its crap

madiaz3
01-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Ok Guys think about this. I hate Payton. He's the worst analyst in sports IMO. BUT

If you were to put Jefferson in Duncan's place right NOW, and Duncan in Jefferson's place right NOW, don't you think the records would be about the same? I do

You can't pick a guy like Duncan just because he's been there and he's done that. Same thing applies with the MVP race last year. CP3 helped his team a lot more than Kobe did, yet Kobe won the MVP because he was "due" or "Next in line" you can say.

People were saying CP3 had to wait his turn and that's just ****ing ******** IMO.

Uhh, People's #1 knock on Jefferson is that his defense stinks. Even more than his offense, Duncan is known for his top tier defense. Wow you mean Jefferson is averaging .40 more rebounds than Timmy? And TWO MORE POINTS? Saying that the Wolves would be in the same place with them switched is an insult to Duncan because he'd definitely score as much the only difference would be he wouldn't let other star big men have a field day with him on the defensive end.

what54!?
01-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Jefferson could make the Spurs as good as Duncan makes them?

GP......:pity:

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-24-2009, 04:39 PM
I guess Gary forgot the only reason he was any good was defense. They called him the Glove, and that is a big reason why he made the all star games he did.

Duncan showed he could put up big numbers and keep the Spurs winning when his two side kicks went down. But I dont think it means you should not take other players opinions into consideration. I think GP just had an agenda. The other two former players on the panel looked at him like he was an idiot, as they should.

Lakersfan2483
01-24-2009, 04:39 PM

You also have to remember Duncan is sacrificing for the betterment of the team, so of course his numbers are going to be down. The main thing is Duncan is better and if he were on Minnesota's current team right now, they would be contending for a playoff birth. If you surround Duncan with talent like Mike Miller, Kevin Love, Randy Foye, Gomes, etc.., you better believe that team would at least be playing above .500 basketball right now. He was without Parker and Manu this year and still kept his team in the hunt with D-League players. :):) People get caught up in numbers etc,, the sacrifices that Duncan, Kobe, KG, are making right now, puts them in the hunt for a title every year.

Lakersfan2483
01-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I guess Gary forgot the only reason he was any good was defense. They called him the Glove, and that is a big reason why he made the all star games he did.

Duncan showed he could put up big numbers and keep the Spurs winning when his two side kicks went down. But I dont think it means you should not take other players opinions into consideration. I think GP just had an agenda. The other two former players on the panel looked at him like he was an idiot, as they should.

Good points.

Lakersfan2483
01-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Uhh, People's #1 knock on Jefferson is that his defense stinks. Even more than his offense, Duncan is known for his top tier defense. Wow you mean Jefferson is averaging .40 more rebounds than Timmy? And TWO MORE POINTS? Saying that the Wolves would be in the same place with them switched is an insult to Duncan because he'd definitely score as much the only difference would be he wouldn't let other star big men have a field day with him on the defensive end.

Agreed, Jefferson is not in the conversation with Duncan in terms of his overall impact on the game.

thesparky33
01-24-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm in no way saying that Jefferson is better or as good as Duncan, but Payton's comments aren't that far off IMO. I do disagree with him thinking that Jefferson should start over Timmy, because Jefferson should be a reserve not a starter.

But if you put Duncan on the Timberwolves, I think at best, they'd be playing .500 ball right now, and that's generous. A lot of San Antonio's success is from Duncan, and a lot of the success is his surroundings, which include on of the greatest coaches, an amazing team, etc. I think if you switched Duncan and Al this season, I think the Spurs would still be the better team, although it would be a closer comparison than it is now.

Jacob K.
01-24-2009, 04:58 PM
gary payton ahs got to be the worst anyalst of all time, he just needs to stop

Hellcrooner
01-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Jeffersson?

will he be in the centers pool or in the forwards pool for the coaches to vote?

If he is in teh centers he could be.

If he is in the fowards, sorry but no .

codes238
01-24-2009, 05:01 PM

you know nothing about basketball...

LeonFSU
01-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Al Jefferson is listed as a C on all-star ballots so he couldn't possibly start at PF. He shouldn't go to the all-star game anyway, because I doubt the West has more than two centers, and only Yao and Shaq should go.

TmacBryant
01-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Payton is one of those guys that doesnt care about what team the player is on or what the record is. he was on the sonics... and they were werent so good. He is one of those guys that would rather see a great player than a team player like tim

JordansBulls
01-24-2009, 06:52 PM

How so? Look at the team Duncan won with in 2003. No legit 2nd option and won 60 games with no other allstar on the team.
I don't want to hear that Manu and Tony would have been because Manu was the 57th pick in the draft and Tony was a late 1st rounder.

PurpleJesus
01-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Al Jefferson, #10 in scoring, #9 in rebounds, #6 in double doubles, #10 in efficiency.

Al should definetly be an all star, over Duncan though, I dont know about that. Duncan is a go to guy, Al still needs to develop into that.

Chronz
01-24-2009, 07:37 PM
GP is dumb and I fully expect everyone to come out with their Al has better stats argument but lets clarify

Duncan has the higher rebound rate and he plays on the best defensive rebounding team in the league, Duncan sports the higher usage% and offensive rating so there is little doubt hes still the better offensive player and go to guy, his PER is almost 3 clicks higher and hes by far the better defender. Simply put the stats argument isnt in Al Jeffersons favor, the defensive/intangibles/leadership qualities definitely arent in his favor so why is he more deserving again?

stevefrancis
01-24-2009, 07:49 PM
jefferson and duncan are two different kinds of players. duncan can impact the game by defense and even passing the ball to his teammates giving them the ball when they should get it and jefferson is a beast like amare. if anything amare shouldn't make it and jefferson should.

THE MTL
01-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Gary Payton made some good points during the debate but the Tim Duncan not starting was CRAZY. Iono what got into Gary Payton.

superkegger
01-24-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't agree, but It's GP's opinion. If he was an agreeable passive person, he would be a lame announcer.

Punkindrublic03
01-24-2009, 09:10 PM
2008-09 Statistics

TIM DUNCAN
PPG20.4
RPG10.20
APG 3.5
EFF+ 24.83

AL JEFFERSON
PPG22.2
RPG10.60
APG1.6
EFF+ 23.85

Pretty Equal. GP does have a valid argument. Jefferson is good for 2 more points a game and has the slight edge in rebounding... The GLOVE does know what he is talkin about so everyone stop hatin on him.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-24-2009, 09:26 PM
2008-09 Statistics

TIM DUNCAN
PPG20.4
RPG10.20
APG 3.5
EFF+ 24.83

AL JEFFERSON
PPG22.2
RPG10.60
APG1.6
EFF+ 23.85

Pretty Equal. GP does have a valid argument. Jefferson is good for 2 more points a game and has the slight edge in rebounding... The GLOVE does know what he is talkin about so everyone stop hatin on him.

But stats dont tell who is the better player. Duncan could average way more points if he wanted to. He is very unselfish so he sets up plays for his teammates.

You cant forget about who is the better defender also. That still is a major part of the game. Stats do not do Duncan justice.

JordansBulls
01-24-2009, 09:28 PM
2008-09 Statistics

TIM DUNCAN
PPG20.4
RPG10.20
APG 3.5
EFF+ 24.83

AL JEFFERSON
PPG22.2
RPG10.60
APG1.6
EFF+ 23.85

One player has 3 finals MVP's while the other has not even made the playoffs as a quality player.

magichatnumber9
01-24-2009, 09:28 PM
the glove is one of the most disgruntled player ever. He is constantly putting down the celtics players. I think he is just a waste. Oh GP........................you ugly

magichatnumber9
01-24-2009, 09:45 PM
But stats dont tell who is the better player. Duncan could average way more points if he wanted to. He is very unselfish so he sets up plays for his teammates.

You cant forget about who is the better defender also. That still is a major part of the game. Stats do not do Duncan justice.

I love your cute video.

thedfactor
01-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Gary Payton loves to talk and much is trash talk. Tim Duncan deserves his spot no matter what Payton has to say, his opinion is irrelevant.

IndyRealist
01-24-2009, 10:07 PM
2008-09 Statistics

TIM DUNCAN
PPG20.4
RPG10.20
APG 3.5
EFF+ 24.83

AL JEFFERSON
PPG22.2
RPG10.60
APG1.6
EFF+ 23.85

That's ridiculous. Anyone can look at a stat line and see that they're putting up similar numbers. Tim Duncan is one of the best game changing, on the court leaders in the NBA. He sets the tone for the greatest team of the last decade, anchors one of the best defenses, and has even COACHED THE GAME FROM THE FLOOR. Al Jefferson doesn't bring anything remotely like that to the game.

Big Quett
01-24-2009, 10:09 PM
2008-09 Statistics

TIM DUNCAN
PPG20.4
RPG10.20
APG 3.5
EFF+ 24.83

AL JEFFERSON
PPG22.2
RPG10.60
APG1.6
EFF+ 23.85

Ok if people are going to continually bring up stats. Lets take a closer look at them then

Al Jefferson takes 19 shots a game and shots 49% and scores 22.2 points per

Timmy takes 15.5 shots and shots 52% and scores 20.6

so that means Jefferson takes 3.5 more shots to get just 2 more points per game.

And it is not even a question when it comes to defense. Put Duncan on the Wolves and their coach wouldnt have been fired. They would be over .500 and in the playoff hunt. I mean he kept the ship afloat when Parker and Manu were hurt.

Lone Maverick
01-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Duncan deserves to start more than any other forward in the west.....period & Jefferson should be on the team and all but starting over Timmy??? SMH @ GP

Burkey3472
01-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Come on Gary, if he had said you could make a case for him over Amare, then you could have a little arguement there, but Duncan? Duncan's D gives him the edge over Jefferson any day of the week.

BTW, now way Spurs are the same team replacing Jefferson with Duncan, he is crazy

thesparky33
01-24-2009, 10:53 PM
One player has 3 finals MVP's while the other has not even made the playoffs as a quality player.

This is strictly about this year, not careers.

RapsGuy23
01-24-2009, 11:15 PM
2008-09 Statistics

TIM DUNCAN
PPG20.4
RPG10.20
APG 3.5
EFF+ 24.83

AL JEFFERSON
PPG22.2
RPG10.60
APG1.6
EFF+ 23.85

Pretty Equal. GP does have a valid argument. Jefferson is good for 2 more points a game and has the slight edge in rebounding... The GLOVE does know what he is talking about so everyone stop hatin on him.

How long have you been following the NBA (1 maybe 2 days)? You're as out of touch with reality as GP appears to be. Duncan's career speaks for itself. From his time a Wake Forest to his Championship rings Duncan is a certified superstar. Read is bio on NBA.com for a brief overview of some of his major achievements on and off the court. Duncan is in a different league than Jefferson, period.

All you have to do is look at the standing and see where Spurs find themselves vs the Timberwolves. Timmy > Jefferson

kozelkid
01-25-2009, 12:37 AM
how about AJ over amare?
seriously payton is an idiot. He also said chalmers would play just as well as rose if he was bull. he's a moron, plain and simple

kozelkid
01-25-2009, 12:39 AM
How long have you been following the NBA (1 maybe 2 days)? You're as out of touch with reality as GP appears to be. Duncan's career speaks for itself. From his time a Wake Forest to his Championship rings Duncan is a certified superstar. Read is bio on NBA.com for a brief overview of some of his major achievements on and off the court. Duncan is in a different league than Jefferson, period.

All you have to do is look at the standing and see where Spurs find themselves vs the Timberwolves. Timmy > Jefferson

don't use history as a means of choosing an allstar player. By using history you suggest AI deserved to start or even make the allstar team (neither of which he does deserve) along with the fact that MJ deserved to start in the 03 allstar game (I'm a bulls fan and I know he had no place on that team). nonetheless duncan is far better because not only is he a far better defender, but unlike AJ he is actually leading his team to victories, and did so even when 2 core players were injured.

stawka
01-25-2009, 12:49 AM

Dude. Remember at the start of the year, when Manu and Parker were injured? How minutes idiots (including myself) said the Spurs weren't gonna make it or if they did, they wouldn't get anywhere... Yeah! Answer that. He had a worse off team that Jefferson has had all season, yet he kept his team right up there with the rest.

Jefferson is a great player, on a **** team. He deserves to be in the All-Star game over Amare, but not a starter over Duncan. Payton's just a fool!

JayW_1023
01-25-2009, 06:08 AM
2008-09 Statistics

TIM DUNCAN
PPG20.4
RPG10.20
APG 3.5
EFF+ 24.83

AL JEFFERSON
PPG22.2
RPG10.60
APG1.6
EFF+ 23.85

Perhaps Mr. Payton should play attention on what they do on the hardwood instead of being mesmerized by the numbers. Leave that for Fantasy basketball or whatever.

Jefferson is a nice offensive big man, but defensively he isn't a stopper like Tim. Meanwhile, Duncan is a far more complete offensive player. He can make plays for his teammates just as effectively as for himself.

Jefferson is just a really good low post scorer and rebounder but nothing much else. I do believe he deserves the nod over Amare Stoudemire. But over a 4-time NBA champion? Nice try.

JayW_1023
01-25-2009, 06:15 AM
Duncan has just been winning at such a consistent rate that people have grown weary of it. They want some fresh blood in the ASG. And even though Duncan is a Hall of Famer...he isn't the exhibitionist type of player. Bank shots aren't that exciting really.

ntat
01-25-2009, 06:22 AM
I guess Gary forgot the only reason he was any good was defense. They called him the Glove, and that is a big reason why he made the all star games he .

GP was dumb for saying what he said, but u look pretty dumb for saying that! The only reason GP was good was his defense? WHAT? U mean the 20 pts 10asst GP? Right........:pity:
That was an assanine statement.

Sport
01-25-2009, 07:01 AM
jefferson is a great big but not deserving over timmy d, plus spurs are what 2nd in the west? wolves are 10th? gary is in a idiot

Team records mean jack ****

I'm a Wolf fan, and while I believe Jeff should be in the show, not over Duncan.

Duncan is honestly, one of the best players to play the game, simply because he puts up the numbers he does, and you hear ABSOLUTELY nothing out of the guy, no negatives, no *****ing. Duncan is a consummate pro, and thats why I have no problem with him going over Jeff.

Jeff will get his time, trust me.

Sport
01-25-2009, 07:04 AM
Perhaps Mr. Payton should play attention on what they do on the hardwood instead of being mesmerized by the numbers. Leave that for Fantasy basketball or whatever.

Jefferson is a nice offensive big man, but defensively he isn't a stopper like Tim. Meanwhile, Duncan is a far more complete offensive player. He can make plays for his teammates just as effectively as for himself.

Jefferson is just a really good low post scorer and rebounder but nothing much else. I do believe he deserves the nod over Amare Stoudemire. But over a 4-time NBA champion? Nice try.

Thats why all-star votings are so stupid.

Tim Duncans post-season records/accomplishments have or atleast should have no factor in him going to the All-star game, IMO.

TMAC94
01-25-2009, 07:08 AM
well if u look at the stats duncan has better FG, plays less minutes, and i think he is just a smarter player

LakerzDQ
01-25-2009, 07:27 AM
take it easy.

this is what payton wants you guys to react.

if an analyst always agreed with the general population, no one would care about what he says. It's good to have some radical opinions once in a while. (Barkley)

J-Relo
01-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Gary Payton doesn't seem to be a smart guy... that's it...

cHi8DaL5LA420
01-25-2009, 10:38 AM
i like the way duncan just blew this off... thats a sign of a true all star... all the war around

DitchDat
01-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Payton ****ed up in my book ever since he became an analyst

JordansBulls
01-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Payton ****ed up in my book ever since he became an analyst

:speechless:

DitchDat
01-25-2009, 11:22 AM

I mean come on, dude obviously just wants to be on TV.

EJ is a professional.
Kenny Smith is a professional.
Even C-Webb does a good job at times.

GP is just a clown.

And his laugh creeps me out.

pippsux
01-25-2009, 11:25 AM
He is doing a tv show guys. Glove is playing the role of "bad guy" or for you American Idol nuts, Simon. In his heart he knows better. If he is said Duncan was the most deserving of his spot, would anybody pay attention?

RapsGuy23
01-25-2009, 08:52 PM
don't use history as a means of choosing an allstar player. By using history you suggest AI deserved to start or even make the allstar team (neither of which he does deserve) along with the fact that MJ deserved to start in the 03 allstar game (I'm a bulls fan and I know he had no place on that team). nonetheless duncan is far better because not only is he a far better defender, but unlike AJ he is actually leading his team to victories, and did so even when 2 core players were injured.

I never said that Duncan deserves to an All Star starter this season because of what he's done in the past. I simply pointed out that his career speaks for itself. Duncan is performing this season as he has for the majority of his career. A steady and consistent floor general who leads his team every time he steps on the court. As he has done over the span of his career. Maybe its my use of capital letters at the beginning of my sentences that thrown you off. But we agree Duncan > Jefferson

td0tsfinest
01-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Duncan deserves it. Al Jefferson has quality numbers but Tim Duncan is just a phenomenal player. His team is the 2nd best team in the east, shouldn't the team be awarded a starting position? GP was a great player but he's an idiot as an analyst, talks before he thinks and is too stubborn to revoke any comments he's made.

Spurred1
01-25-2009, 11:51 PM
I don't agree that Jefferson should go in over Duncan, but Payton would have more of a valid point if he'd stated that Jefferson should start over Amare. Unless Payton just wanted create a strange debate, which is possible. I'm sure he knows Duncan is the better player all around.

IversonIsKrazy
01-26-2009, 12:26 AM
both deserve it. but duncan more. duncan is the greatst PF of all-time. jefferson has a looonnnngggg wayy to go. plus payton was always known as winey. he doesn't understand the greatness of duncan, hes a player who has NO as in 0 rings.

JordansBulls
01-26-2009, 01:10 AM
I mean come on, dude obviously just wants to be on TV.

EJ is a professional.
Kenny Smith is a professional.
Even C-Webb does a good job at times.

GP is just a clown.

And his laugh creeps me out.

Yeah, he just wants to announce like other guys have.

mjt20mik
01-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Why Gary Why? That was just a stupid statement. I can't stand Payton's analytical skills. EJ, Kenny, and C-Webb are very knowledgeable when it comes to the game. GP isn't.

JordansBulls
01-26-2009, 02:23 PM
You can add coaches as well.

Did anyone yesterday here Van Gundy said he would pick Anderson Varejo over Chris Bosh for the All-Star Game?

mavwar53
01-26-2009, 02:42 PM
In no way do I agree with the glove but look at the records since Christmas the wolves are 11-4 as are the spurs and clearly the spurs have the better supporting cast big Al is doing it with foye and thats about all.

Gibby23
01-26-2009, 02:50 PM
TD is way better than AL. Al has 140 more FG attempts in one less game played than Duncan. He shoots way more to get 2 more ppg. Duncan also has more Freethrow attempts while shooting less.

Jahari Kavi
01-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Duncan kept the spurs in the chase without parker and manu........he deserves to be starting........