PDA

View Full Version : Question for PSD

Hawkeye15
01-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Which is better for a young teams growth, such as the Timberwolves recently. They started 4-23, and are 10-4 since. Many fans have complained that winning will hurt their draft position, but many fans have argued that winning is very important to develop a winning atmosphere. My question is, if you know you are not a playoff team, and have a very young core, is it better to win as many games as possible at the expense of dropping a few picks, or do you try and get the highest pick you can?

what54!?
01-24-2009, 02:22 PM
You win as many games as possible. Just because you have a losing season doesn't mean you will get a lottery pick. Teams don't come into the season saying "lets lose as many games as possible for next year". Thats not the right mentality or teams are going to say that every year. Young teams have learn how to win as a team, its doesn't just magically happen overnight when their considered good.

Besides why have a stud like Jefferson lose year after year.

IndyRealist
01-24-2009, 02:26 PM
You need a few picks to build a core, but if you have one then you need to build a winning culture. Players don't really understand how hard they have to play, how much they have to sacrifice, in order to win. That's why playoff experience is so important. You can have all the talent in the world, if they don't know what it takes to win, if they're selfish and play for their own stats, then they'll never get anywhere.

lakers4sho
01-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Win. You guys already have a pretty good core of young players. Just need to add a few solid veterans to the mix.

Wake's Fastball
01-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Agreed with what's said above. Plus, the lottery's made exactly to encourage what's going on in Minnesota at the moment.

superkegger
01-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Winning is always more important. Always. While losing might get you a better pick, losing is never good for the team. To quote Herm Edwards You play to win the game. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNooFZPfmgE)

DrDEADalready
01-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Win.

Why would fan's want to come and see if your losing all the time. Bad Business idea.

sacgiants1213
01-24-2009, 03:01 PM
we're pretty much going through the same thing right now. Yeah, it's nice to win some games here and there but overall we need this draft pick a lot. I'd like us to beat Golden State and Lakers, but if we lose those games as well as other games, i'm not gonna be pissed because that's just gonna help us in the long run.

td0tsfinest
01-24-2009, 03:10 PM
I hate when people say to tank, you have to no pride if you don't come out every game and play hard.

KeithLBC
01-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Which is better for a young teams growth, such as the Timberwolves recently. They started 4-23, and are 10-4 since. Many fans have complained that winning will hurt their draft position, but many fans have argued that winning is very important to develop a winning atmosphere. My question is, if you know you are not a playoff team, and have a very young core, is it better to win as many games as possible at the expense of dropping a few picks, or do you try and get the highest pick you can?

Hasn't this thread already been made?

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312983

:eyebrow:

Hawkeye15
01-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Hasn't this thread already been made?

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312983

:eyebrow:

no, this is different. The Wolves are most likely eliminated from the playoffs at this point. That thread was 8th seed vs lottery. I mean, even if your team is not good, do they still try and win as many games as possible, even if it means missing a top pick

-Juice-
01-24-2009, 06:29 PM
The Timberwolves could have 4 1st round draft picks this year. It doesn't really matter since they will likely trade 2 or 3 of the picks so they can move up anyways.

LAKERS 24/7
01-24-2009, 10:31 PM

That part is definitely true. I also think its hard as a basketball player to endure losing. It hurts me to lose a simple pickup game, and these are pros that are chasing their dream. Win as many games as possible is the way to go.

thesparky33
01-24-2009, 10:56 PM
As a Wolves fan (doesnt matter what team really though) I HATE seeing my team lose any game, even if it's an exhibition game. And I LOVE to see us win any game.

I can see the point of resting a tired star player at the end of the season once you are already eliminated and/or are already locked in at a playoff position, but other than that, I think you owe it to your fans to win every game possible.

Hawkeye15
01-25-2009, 01:19 PM
As a Wolves fan (doesnt matter what team really though) I HATE seeing my team lose any game, even if it's an exhibition game. And I LOVE to see us win any game.

I can see the point of resting a tired star player at the end of the season once you are already eliminated and/or are already locked in at a playoff position, but other than that, I think you owe it to your fans to win every game possible.

You are referring to a lost season, with 10 games to go, and trying to position yourself for a specific pick. That is way different. I actually have no problem with that. But, everyone knew the Wolves were not a playoff team. It is not a lost season for them. If they play the second half of the season like they have currently, yes, LAC gets their pick. BUt they will have won a ton more games than last year, and that is what a young team needs. Plus, we have Miami's, Utah, and Bos's picks.

Iodine
01-25-2009, 01:29 PM
It's better to trade for roger mason jr