PDA

View Full Version : Malkin Matures Into Top NHL Forward

Sbank
01-24-2009, 04:53 AM
Malkin Matures Into Top NHL Forward
It seems like a logical question and, at the very least, worth asking.

Is Evgeni Malkin the best player in the National Hockey League?

After all, Malkin leads the NHL in scoring with 70 points at the All-Star Break - 10 points more than second-place Sidney Crosby (60). Malkin also leads the league in assists with 51 - eight more than the next best player.

Of course, Malkin brushed off the idea in his usual humble manner.

No, Im not best, said Malkin, who will start the All-Star Game for the Eastern Conference. I dont think Im the best player.

I personally dont think there is such a thing as the best, Boston Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara said. There are guys on top of the rankings and, for sure, I think Evgeni is one of the better players in the league.

Malkin has staked out an early lead in pursuit of his first Art Ross Trophy. He nearly took home the hardware last season when he tallied 106 points (47G-59A), but finished second. This year, Malkin has staked out an early lead on the competition.

Ill try (to win the Art Ross), he said. Its good for me.

Malkin is a double threat on offense. He has a hard slap shot and acute accuracy to be a top-notch sniper. Malkin also has the vision and playmaking skills to be a great setup man in the league.

He has a lot of skill, Chara said. He can make things happen on the ice and it looks very natural for him to do things that other players wouldnt do. Hes willing to take risks, which is always dangerous for a defenseman to play against.

Hes big and fast, Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist said. He shoots the puck really well. He sees the game really well. Hes obviously really dangerous.

Malkins greatest asset may be his competitive spirit. He skates hard, fights for pucks and will take the punishment necessary to make plays with the puck. When Malkin is inspired, he takes his game to another level and is practically unstoppable.

So how do you stop him?

I always try to take away his time and space and play him hard, Chara said. You have to always be aware of him. Guys like that skate all over the ice; they always try to find open ice where they can work things. You have to have your head on a (swivel) and look for him.

A couple teams have players that do something special almost every night, Lundqvist said. You just have to make sure that when you play those guys that everybody is aware that theyre on the ice, play hard and dont take any chances because theyre pretty fast and will make you pay for mistakes.

Malkin came to the NHL as a bashful 20-year old from Magnitogorsk, Russia. He had to adapt to a new country, environment, team and language. Luckily, he found himself a mentor in veteran defenseman Sergei Gonchar.

I think its Sergei Gonchar, Malkin said of the most influential player on his career. Hes helped me a lot. He helped me buy a house. He helped me live in the USA. Its Sergei. He calls me and we talk. Hes helped me at any time. Hes a great guy.

Malkin has matured in third season with the Penguins. The shy Russian is getting more comfortable not only on the ice but with the attention of being a high-profile athlete.

Im OK; Its my third year, Malkin said. Im not nervous. Im comfortable. Not big deal. Its just (easier).

Even though his career is in its infancy, Malkin has compiled 99 goals and 162 assists for 261 points in 208 career games. At only 22-years old, Malkin still has plenty of room to improve and hone his craft. He can only get better, which is a scary thought considering he may already be the best player in the NHL.

Ever aspect of his game works so well for him, former Penguin Alex Kovalev said. He controls the puck and has great vision of the ice with passes he makes. The hunger for the puck and for goals drives him all the time. He has everything.
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=406055&page=NewsPage&service=page

SidTheKid
01-24-2009, 11:01 AM
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=406055&page=NewsPage&service=page

Where've you been buddy?!

ShaunRiching9
01-24-2009, 12:05 PM
yeah man its kinda lonely in ehre with just me,sid,and jzlenda

SidTheKid
01-24-2009, 12:08 PM

Yeah we could use some more activity but we've been doing well with only a few people.

jzelenda
01-24-2009, 02:49 PM
I know, I check these boards hourly (bored at work most times) and sometimes it's a ghost town, so I'm forced to check rival boards (flyers, washington) for info, and post on the main NHL board. I wish there were more rumors and happenings with the Pens right now, I mean how many times can we all agree that we need to step it up, recommit, and get a stud winger?

SidTheKid
01-24-2009, 02:52 PM
I know, I check these boards hourly (bored at work most times) and sometimes it's a ghost town, so I'm forced to check rival boards (flyers, washington) for info, and post on the main NHL board. I wish there were more rumors and happenings with the Pens right now, I mean how many times can we all agree that we need to step it up, recommit, and get a stud winger?

Not enough :laugh2:

Sbank
01-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Where've you been buddy?!

I need time off I got burned off from having to do all the NHL forms for news and I working on halo 3 online play a lot in the past two weeks. I probable be more active then 4 weeks without a post but honestly I didn't forget about psd. I just need time to clear my head and get some priorities in order. I do agree we need a new winger our guys aren't cutting it. We need to make a trade or two to help make our team as good as it was last year at this time.

SidTheKid
01-25-2009, 01:28 AM
I need time off I got burned off from having to do all the NHLl forms for news and I working on halo 3 online play a lot in the past two weeks. I probable be more active then 4 weeks without a post but honestly I didn't forget about psd. I just need time to clear my head and get some priorities in order. I do agree we need a new winger our guys aren't cutting it we need to make a trade or two to help make our team as good as it was last year at this time.

Glad to have you back here buddy.

pittspens71
01-25-2009, 07:27 PM
my computer got ****ed up so i haven't been on. but now it's faster, and i fixed it.

SidTheKid
01-25-2009, 10:20 PM
my computer got ****ed up so i haven't been on. but now it's faster, and i fixed it.

Glad to have you back we can use all the activity we can get here :up:

dmb
01-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Malkin could easily end up in another team as Captain

SidTheKid
01-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Malkin could easily end up in another team as Captain

How do you figure that? Malkin and Crosby are two of the best players in the league and fan favorites why would the Penguins want to trade them?

jzelenda
01-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah I actually heard one of the commentators on Hockey Night In Canada suggest trading Malkin. Why? That's like purposely breaking your left hand with a hammer. Sure you have a good working right hand, but that's only going to make things tougher... The Penguins signed the #1 point leader this year, he wants to stay and play, so why would you shell him somewhere else?

Some ideas are so ridiculous.

dmb
01-26-2009, 02:02 PM
How do you figure that? Malkin and Crosby are two of the best players in the league and fan favorites why would the Penguins want to trade them?
not a question of trading, but of free agency in the future

Gould82
01-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Malkin is one of the best players in the league, but i don't think you can name anyone the best in the NHL. It is clearly between malkin, crosby, and ovechkin. Crosby gets alot of the attention but i think the two russians are better hockey players. Crosby and malkin remind me alot of gretzky and messier when they played for the oilers. I'm a devils fan, but i like malkin, so i was glad last year that malkin got to show his true colors when crosby went down. My only concern with malkin though is the post season play, he seems to cool off towards the end.

SidTheKid
01-26-2009, 06:08 PM
not a question of trading, but of free agency in the future

I doubt the Penguins would let him get away.

J13Cox8
01-27-2009, 11:26 AM
i like the talk goin on in here. im new to this who site fyi so bear with me a little bit please. i cant see malkin being traded, that would be ridiculous. the pens need him and sid, perhaps not on the same line, but same team nonetheless. as for best player in the league? ...hmm..perhaps..i can honestly say he is better than sid and ovie. sid is the face of the nhl, which i dont necassarily like. i love sid, hes amazing. but the nhl needs to start putting the faces of Sid, Geno, and Ovie out there. not just Sid. if i HAD to rank, id say..

1-Geno
2-Alex
3-Sid

SidTheKid
01-27-2009, 11:36 AM
i like the talk goin on in here. im new to this who site fyi so bear with me a little bit please. i cant see malkin being traded, that would be ridiculous. the pens need him and sid, perhaps not on the same line, but same team nonetheless. as for best player in the league? ...hmm..perhaps..i can honestly say he is better than sid and ovie. sid is the face of the nhl, which i dont necassarily like. i love sid, hes amazing. but the nhl needs to start putting the faces of Sid, Geno, and Ovie out there. not just Sid. if i HAD to rank, id say..

1-Geno
2-Alex
3-Sid

Welcome to the forum and I agree that they should start marketing other players in the NHL rather than just focusing on Sid.

jzelenda
01-27-2009, 11:49 AM

1-Geno
2-Alex
3-Sid

First off: Welcome to the board!

Secondly, I agree, the Penguins aren't going to move Geno, Sid, Staal, Fleury or Orpik anytime soon. I don't see Shero busting his hump to sign these guys just to deal them away. I realize a signed player has more value, but still.

Third, I'm not a big ranking guy. Seems that the All Star game kicked up a whirlwind of "Who's the NHL's best player, Who's number one, Who's underrated?" talk. I see it like this: On any given night, any player can be the best. Sid might be in a drought, and a rookie like Versteeg might blow up. I mean look at Patrick Sharp, that guy is... well... sharp this year. So the Geno, Ovie, Sid running first, second and third falls on deaf ears for me.

And I know, I know, the arguement can go, but Ovie is a powerful scorer and flew up the rankings, where Sid and Geno already sit at the top of. And yes, it's impressive for Sid and Geno to be up there, especially in assists on a team with no real prominent goal scorer, which only means they're giving it to anyone that can hold a stick and remain upright on the ice... But still this team has shown us, when they're off, they are way off. And when things click, watch out. But I would think a more consistent offensive force could be considered the best.

I like the thought of a well rounded overlooked player that might be considered a utility player as the best. Not just a shooter, or passer, or play maker or big name. The best player in my eyes is the player that you look at lacing up his boots and you know exactly what kind of night he's going to have, based on the fact that he does well night in, night out.

Like David Krecji this year. Boston wouldn't be nearly the powerhouse without him, and he was a monster surprise for them after a so-so year last year (not taking anything away from him, potential was there, but he's REALLY turned it up this year) and a similar case would be Devin Setoguchi of San Jose. I think the best players are the ones that surprise you and come out of the woodwork only to take a decent team and make them a monster...

^^^
Good lord that's long winded... One last thought... the Talbots, Kennedys and Dupuis make a team great, but only with consistent strong play every time on the ice... That's the Cliff's Notes version of my blathering...