PDA

View Full Version : Al Jefferson

basketball3553
01-23-2009, 11:24 PM
After what I said about Al Jefferson in his last game against the Jazz, I would like to take it back. I said that he really hurt us in that game because he was taking hook shots down the stretch while he was double teamed instead of kicking out to people who were hitting jump shots. Tonight against the Hornets, he kicked it out to the open guys like we needed to, and we won. Great job Wolves keep it going!

Mauersota
01-23-2009, 11:25 PM
I want to see it in more then just one game before I say anything about him.

boeknows
01-23-2009, 11:30 PM
He did do a lot better tonight getting it to the open guy. I do agree though i want to see it more than just one game.

basketball3553
01-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Yeah I know I'm just really happy that he realized what he needed to do this quickly. Hopefully he'll keep it up.

Mauersota
01-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Yeah I know I'm just really happy that he realized what he needed to do this quickly. Hopefully he'll keep it up.

WHOA WHOA WHOA this quickly? It's been his problem for a long time.

WSU Tony
01-23-2009, 11:49 PM
After what I said about Al Jefferson in his last game against the Jazz, I would like to take it back. I said that he really hurt us in that game because he was taking hook shots down the stretch while he was double teamed instead of kicking out to people who were hitting jump shots. Tonight against the Hornets, he kicked it out to the open guys like we needed to, and we won. Great job Wolves keep it going!

He has a bad game and your all over him. He has a good game versus a team which has 2 key guys out and your loving him.

PSD - the site with premature reactions.

:p

Mauersota
01-23-2009, 11:52 PM
He has a bad game and your all over him. He has a good game versus a team which has 2 key guys out and your loving him.

PSD - the site with premature reactions.

:p

That is an understatement.

basketball3553
01-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Hey I really don't get to see that many Wolves games cause there never not on t.v. as much where I'm at, and when they are, it seems like I'm not home. Not tryin to over react, just tryin to see what I saw from last game to this game.

WSU Tony
01-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Hey I really don't get to see that many Wolves games cause there never not on t.v. as much where I'm at, and when they are, it seems like I'm not home. Not tryin to over react, just tryin to see what I saw from last game to this game.

Any observations that can be made in a matter of two games should be a premature reaction though, know what I mean?

IowaAJ
01-24-2009, 12:12 AM
Jefferson realized he needed to pass out of the double team more and he does so we should be happy about that. He is working on trying to get better on the defensive side of the ball and his passing. He has improved and he will continue to improve.

basketball3553
01-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Any observations that can be made in a matter of two games should be a premature reaction though, know what I mean?

Yeah I completly understand what you mean. Just seeing what everyone else thought of it, though it may be to early to tell.

Luv Da New Pack
01-24-2009, 01:03 AM
After what I said about Al Jefferson in his last game against the Jazz, I would like to take it back. I said that he really hurt us in that game because he was taking hook shots down the stretch while he was double teamed instead of kicking out to people who were hitting jump shots.

No need to take it back because it's the truth. There's nothing worse than extremely bias fans who act as though the player they like is without flaws. I don't understand and find it sickening how some posters think that, since Foye is doing well that Al is a piece of crap and is not "The Man" for our franchise. Al has, and will continue, to put in work and be our guy. Of course he's not perfect and makes mistakes but he's come through in the clutch a lot with his scoring and has made timely defensive stops (Foye has been incredible as of late).

WSU Tony
01-24-2009, 01:53 AM
We have talked about this before and I continue to believe it; I don't' think Al is our franchise guy. I think Foye or someone else stepping up (a draftee this year?) will prove to be our 'franchise' guy. I believe the franchise guy should be a leader as well, I've been disappointed with Al as a leader.

Oefarmy2005
01-24-2009, 01:57 AM
No need to take it back because it's the truth. There's nothing worse than extremely bias fans who act as though the player they like is without flaws. I don't understand and find it sickening how some posters think that, since Foye is doing well that Al is a piece of crap and is not "The Man" for our franchise. Al has, and will continue, to put in work and be our guy. Of course he's not perfect and makes mistakes but he's come through in the clutch a lot with his scoring and has made timely defensive stops (Foye has been incredible as of late).

At this stage, Jefferson is lightyears ahead of Foye. He's been a 20 and 10 guy for a year and a half now and Foye just comeon as of late. Al has been better this year though, that's for sure. I don't even mind him taking 25 shots a game, what I don't like about him is the lack of effort to get back on D. It's not as obvious on tv, since the telecaster omit such stuff, but some times Al doesn't even try to get back on D. He just walks back halfway until the other team scores and goes back on offence. If you've been to a couple games this year, you know what I mean.

Mauersota
01-24-2009, 02:10 AM
We have talked about this before and I continue to believe it; I don't' think Al is our franchise guy. I think Foye or someone else stepping up (a draftee this year?) will prove to be our 'franchise' guy. I believe the franchise guy should be a leader as well, I've been disappointed with Al as a leader.

For as much as I believe(d) in Foye I never thought he would be the face of the franchise. Though now I think he is a better option then Jefferson. I just find it odd that NOW they finally decide to help Al get into the All-Star game. If they would of made a little bit of a deal out of it and help get him some more votes before voting ended he could of had a better chance, I think it is just a "keep Al happy" scheme. So because they didn't push him right away I don't think they view him as the "face".

sorry for all the ""

Luv Da New Pack
01-24-2009, 02:19 AM

Why couldn't Al be the guy. Some guys are born leaders and some learn with experience. Al is still young and is still learning under new coaching with McHale. I can understand some of his personal struggles with the amount of his constant losing between Boston and here. I believe they are a wonderful 1-2 punch but when push comes to shove I'm starting to trust the ball in his hands.

I don't even mind him taking 25 shots a game, what I don't like about him is the lack of effort to get back on D. It's not as obvious on tv, since the telecaster omit such stuff, but some times Al doesn't even try to get back on D.

I don't see it as much but do not doubt it because I have similar issues when he's arguing a non-call. One thing I actually have seen is when he's not getting calls I do see him running back (with the exasperated arms in the air) when I've seen other guys (cough, cough, Kobe prime example) sit there and berate the ref. In essence, I've seen a little of both but he needs to be more efficient in getting back on "D".

Mauersota
01-24-2009, 02:25 AM
To me it seems things seem to flow better and they play better when Foye is the #1 option.

Luv Da New Pack
01-24-2009, 02:28 AM
I just find it odd that NOW they finally decide to help Al get into the All-Star game. If they would of made a little bit of a deal out of it and help get him some more votes before voting ended he could of had a better chance, I think it is just a "keep Al happy" scheme. So because they didn't push him right away I don't think they view him as the "face".

I don't see it as a "keep Al Happy scheme" because, if he was arrogant or selfish he could have asked for more money and we all know the Wolves would have paid it. The reason that they started recently is because they were being realistic with the fact that, since they were struggling to scrape A VICTORY we knew there wasn't a chance for Al. But with the recent success of the team and the quality of victories WITH his numbers makes it feasible now.

Mauersota
01-24-2009, 02:33 AM
I don't see it as a "keep Al Happy scheme" because, if he was arrogant or selfish he could have asked for more money and we all know the Wolves would have paid it. The reason that they started recently is because they were being realistic with the fact that, since they were struggling to scrape A VICTORY we knew there wasn't a chance for Al. But with the recent success of the team and the quality of victories WITH his numbers makes it feasible now.

Just because KG loved it here for so long doesn't mean management didn't do things to keep him happy. We started winning while there was still voting going on.

Luv Da New Pack
01-24-2009, 02:53 AM
Just because KG loved it here for so long doesn't mean management didn't do things to keep him happy. We started winning while there was still voting going on.

We had victories to fall back on. And he was a new, fresh face who worked so hard day in and out and it showed in his game and coached loved his hustle. Add in the fact that he was voted in by the fans annually that the Wolves wouldn't have to go through measures to push his name.

Mauersota
01-24-2009, 02:58 AM
We had victories to fall back on. And he was a new, fresh face who worked so hard day in and out and it showed in his game and coached loved his hustle. Add in the fact that he was voted in by the fans annually that the Wolves wouldn't have to go through measures to push his name.

True...ish

I just think that the FO screwed up again with this.

Post #2000 no edit needed. Now I can quit for the night.

thesparky33
01-24-2009, 03:35 AM

Wow. Jefferson isnt a franchise guy? All of a sudden you seem like one tough cookie to please... sheesh.

coffeerealgood
01-24-2009, 03:47 AM
Al has finally gotten confidence in other players. Which is why he is now kicking it out when he gets double teamed. Now that Foye and others have shown they can knock it down from outside, it is only going to make Al even better!

WSU Tony
01-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Why couldn't Al be the guy. Some guys are born leaders and some learn with experience. Al is still young and is still learning under new coaching with McHale.

I didn't say he can't be; I just said I don't think he will be.

With the bolded sentence you make it sound like everyone eventually becomes a leader. Where is the 3rd category of 'don't develop into leaders?'

howiend
01-24-2009, 05:09 PM

I agree. Great thread. Al is seeing some wins for the first time in his career. He is seeing people around him succeeding by getting open shots because of the double teams on him. I think this will be an area of growth for him the rest of the season. What I like about Al and all the twolves is how much they are happy for and helping each other succeed. I noticed Telfair come flying off the bench when foye hit the three at the end of last night's game.

Luv Da New Pack
01-24-2009, 07:10 PM
With the bolded sentence you make it sound like everyone eventually becomes a leader.

No. The subject is about leaders (meaning they ARE a leader). You were stating that you do not think he is a leader (meaning at this time). I stated that he may not be the greatest at this time but he CAN learn. Another thing to remember is what makes a leader?
Are they motivational?
Are they floor generals?
Do they lead by example?
Are they able to pull guys aside to correct them?

Remember that some believed KG was a great leader by being an example where others felt me was not as much because he wasn't a "Floor General" type player. Some felt he didn't always demand the ball in the clutch for the final shot. When KG had his WCF run we had Cassell as the "Floor General" and KG took care of everything else. Does that then mean that Cassell was the Franchise guy?

The million dollar question is......
Does your franchise player HAVE to be the head or can he be the heart?
:eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

Mauersota
01-24-2009, 07:13 PM
How bout this

Foye=Clutch
Al=Best Player
Harden=Face of Franchise

That works, if you don't want Harden insert whoever you want us to draft.

WSU Tony
01-24-2009, 07:23 PM
How bout this

Foye=Clutch
Al=Best Player
Harden=Face of Franchise

That works, if you don't want Harden insert whoever you want us to draft.

Harden has major 'face' potential. I can see Thabeet (yes, Thabeet) Jennings, or Holiday as those type guys too.

PurpleJesus
01-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Harden has major 'face' potential. I can see Thabeet (yes, Thabeet) Jennings, or Holiday as those type guys too.

Im really for trying to go and get thabeet in the draft, Jennings comments that came out today kind of made me wonder about his mental toughness. He said that that league can really break you, he said some night he might not play at all, and that he usually doesnt get payed on time...well whats he *****ing about, he's 18, hes getting 1.2 million this year, and what 18 year old is promised to play every night in a professional league? If the Wolves took him, think about the things he would ***** about then, its to cold here, they dont treat me like a God, we arent a championship team. Keep your mouth shut and play ball Jennings.

Mauersota
01-24-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't see Thabeet or Jennings as a "face" potential, Holiday yeah, Monroe possibly.

PurpleJesus
01-24-2009, 08:09 PM
A seven foot defensive swatter always has face potential. I really want thabeet, i think hes Dikembe Mutumbo at worst.

thesparky33
01-24-2009, 10:32 PM
A seven foot defensive swatter always has face potential. I really want thabeet, i think hes Dikembe Mutumbo at worst.

Holy crap. Mutombo at worst!?

You do realize that Mutombo was one of the greatest defensive big men to ever play, and is no doubt a Hall of Famer after he retires?

PurpleJesus
01-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Yeah, saying Mutumbo at worst may be a bit overboard, what i was trying to say is i see some mutumbo in him.

Your sig makes this page slow Sparky

Mauersota
01-25-2009, 01:42 AM
Yeah, saying Mutumbo at worst may be a bit overboard, what i was trying to say is i see some mutumbo in him.

It is worth it though.

I'd only take Thabeet if we pick outside the top 5 or 6.

thesparky33
01-25-2009, 01:59 AM

I hear what you're saying. There are similarities in their games.

BTW, my sig isnt doing anything to the page to make it slow or not, that's dictated by your computer and it's being slow to process the sig and stuff. My sig is just direct linked from a different page.

PurpleJesus
01-25-2009, 02:31 AM
who is that anyways in the sig?

thesparky33
01-25-2009, 02:47 AM
Scarlett Johannson