PDA

View Full Version : Same foul calls for Star and Superstar?

atlsportsfan11
01-23-2009, 11:58 AM
If one star player is on a decent team, should he be entitled to get the same foul calls or no calls as a superstar player on a slightly better team?(if you need a visual example, take Joe Johnson of the Hawks and Paul Pierce of the Celtics)

DrDEADalready
01-23-2009, 12:17 PM
The Nba is bad on officiating eitherway. You get bad calls all the time on one thing and not on the other. I guess Ref see things differently

JIDsanity
01-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Everyone one should get the same call end of story

Turtle55
01-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Everyone one should get the same call end of story

exactly, bottom line is that it is either a foul or not a foul. Why have rules if they don't even apply. If Tim Duncan fouls Will Soloman then Soloman should get free throws, I hate star calls it's one of the worst things about the NBA.

Hellcrooner
01-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Star calls is the thing that sucks more about the nba.

You should be called the same if yuo are smush parker or if you are Lebron.

Poor espn if games were called this way "golden boy" and his band of pirates would be like 4 or 5 spots behind where they are.

WSU Tony
01-23-2009, 12:48 PM
This is a star driven league. Stars = offense = tickets. D-Whistle ALWAYS gets the benefit of the doubt. Heck, he'll run into someone and throw the ball up and get the call.

b_russ
01-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Star calls is the thing that sucks more about the nba.

You should be called the same if yuo are smush parker or if you are Lebron.

Poor espn if games were called this way "golden boy" and his band of pirates would be like 4 or 5 spots behind where they are.

Yeah and Mr. Kobe and his golden girls wouldn't be near where they are if it wasn't for their zebra buddies. Good comment.

Joshtd1
01-23-2009, 01:32 PM
It should be the same, but rookies and lesser players aren't going to get the calls. The league is about money, so Im pretty sure the refs are told to go a bit easier on superstars. I mean if the refs were to really call every foul there was , people would be fouling out left and right.

Hellcrooner
01-23-2009, 02:33 PM
^or just they wouldnt make stupid fouls, you know in europe there are no star calls and only 1 or 2 players in each team foul out , and they are only allowed 5 instead of 6!!!.

ink
01-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Should be the same calls for everyone. It's brutal watching players not get calls when you know the high-profile players would get exactly the same calls. Incredibly dumb that the league allows this to go on.

Rhino
01-23-2009, 03:02 PM
It should be the same, but rookies and lesser players aren't going to get the calls. The league is about money, so Im pretty sure the refs are told to go a bit easier on superstars. I mean if the refs were to really call every foul there was , people would be fouling out left and right.

I agree with everything you said except one thing. If the refs would consistently make the right call be it foul, or traveling or palming, or 3 in the key. What you would have is the real NBA and people would repsect it for that. Instead it is what it is, and what can you do about it. It's starting to get that bad in college too. The NBA is a joke because of this very point. There was a time when this crap did not go on or maybe not as bad. I just think its gotten way out of hand lately.

Kaptain Kanada
01-23-2009, 03:17 PM
It's waaaaaay out of hand. I hate watching the refs give out superstar calls.

Definitely the worst part of the NBA.

Joshtd1
01-23-2009, 03:18 PM
I agree with everything you said except one thing. If the refs would consistently make the right call be it foul, or traveling or palming, or 3 in the key. What you would have is the real NBA and people would repsect it for that. Instead it is what it is, and what can you do about it. It's starting to get that bad in college too. The NBA is a joke because of this very point. There was a time when this crap did not go on or maybe not as bad. I just think its gotten way out of hand lately.

Oh it is bad, but again..refs arent going to call a palming unless its really really bad. Hell even for 3 seconds, you'll see someone camping in the lane for way more then that.

Again it all comes down to the money. Even if the refs did call everything correctly, I think it would turn off alot of people off from the NBA. Most people arent going to want to see everything like that called, because it would slow the game down considerably.

The violations arent even that big of a deal to me, its just mainly the fouling. For example, youll see a rookie take it to the hole and get hammered and yet thre is no call, yet the next play down, the superstar will get breathed on and its two FT's.

JordansBulls
01-23-2009, 03:24 PM
A strike in baseball is the same all across the board. The same should be true in the NBA. The only problem is that star players drive more and create more contact thus they get more calls called for them.

Joshtd1
01-23-2009, 03:28 PM
A strike in baseball is the same all across the board. The same should be true in the NBA. The only problem is that star players drive more and create more contact thus they get more calls called for them.

The thing is alot of times, the defender isnt doing anything wrong. They play good D, yet when the perimeter defender drives in, they use their body against the defender not leaning in, or bumping them and its a foul. It makes me very upset sometimes.

Another thing that gets on my nerves is when a ref who is farthest away from the play makes a call. They see a player swipe down at the ball and the whistle blows, even though when shown on replay it ends up being all ball, or they make no contact with anything.

Hellcrooner
01-23-2009, 03:59 PM
I dont think making more calls would drive away fans, you know? Nfl is the most popular sport in usa and its a game that STOPS for 40 seconds or more after each play, and that discounting challenges and such.

Turtle55
01-23-2009, 04:01 PM
If they got rid of superstar calls, palming, traveling, and added five second violations for not moving the ball the NBA would be actual basketball. I mean I love the NBA but no doubt it is flawed.

MJ-BULLS
01-23-2009, 04:24 PM
if they got rid of superstar calls, palming, traveling, and added five second violations for not moving the ball the nba would be actual basketball. I mean i love the nba but no doubt it is flawed.

that will be great idea so the players wont be just standing around:)

Turtle55
01-23-2009, 05:07 PM
that will be great idea so the players wont be just standing around:)

Yeah I don't understand why every level of basketball has that rule except the NBA.