PDA

View Full Version : Second NBA lockout could be on horizon

JordansBulls
01-23-2009, 11:22 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/22/tomasson-second-lockout-could-be-on-horizon/

The NBA has to decide by Dec. 15, 2010, whether to extend the collective-bargaining agreement through the 2011-12 season. If not extended, it expires June 30, 2011.

With the economy in shambles, teams are watching profits fall off faster than Allen Iverson's game. When they have a chance, NBA owners are expected to want to continue to reel in bloating salaries and try to steer the NBA closer toward a hard salary cap.

"If the economy doesn't turn in two years, there's definitely going to be a lockout because everybody is taking a hit in this recession," Jackson said. "The owners are definitely going to want to make some cutbacks, and the players aren't going to want to make the cutbacks.

"But I think we have to put our differences aside and say what's best, and that's playing this game and giving fans what they want and not being selfish."

As the date gets closer to when players might have to think hard about whether to buy a seventh car, Jackson plans to share with work-stoppage neophytes what the league went through 10 years ago. He said all players must become "re-educated" about 1998-99.

"(Another lockout is) always a possibility the way the economy is going. A lot of team's ownerships aren't making money like they used to. Endorsement deals, those companies are struggling, so they're not putting as much back in."

The economy actually was thriving in 1998-99, but that couldn't prevent an NBA work stoppage that resulted in three months of the season being wiped out and Stern growing a lockout beard that made him look like Burl Ives.

The owners, scared by Kevin Garnett's 1997 signing of a six-year, $126 million contract extension, achieved goals of instituting maximum salaries and first-round picks having to wait longer for big money. Concessions to players included minimum salaries being bumped up and increased exceptions for teams over the salary cap.

Joshtd1
01-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Lol.."teams are watching profits fall off faster then Allen Iverson's game"

Kohaku
01-23-2009, 02:50 PM
I lol'ed at that statement as well ^_^.

Lakers4ItAll
01-23-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't see it happenening

xxepo
01-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I am sure the players will take a cut back , Nhl players did it so should the NBA . I guess it also depends how much will have to be cut back from the salaries .

Kaptain Kanada
01-23-2009, 03:25 PM
No need to worry yet, that is almost 2 years away still. Plenty of time for the economy to turn around and the fat cat owners to decide that its okay to piss money away on their hobby again.

Now if it was up today... that would be trouble.

IndyRealist
01-23-2009, 03:40 PM
A 10% cutback of NBA salaries across the board would get virtually every NBA team out of financial trouble. The league's minimum salary players would lose something like $50k/year out of $500k. Max salary players would lose something like $10-12M over 6 years. Each team would save between $6-7M a year.

JordansBulls
01-23-2009, 05:23 PM
A 10% cutback of NBA salaries across the board would get virtually every NBA team out of financial trouble. The league's minimum salary players would lose something like $50k/year out of $500k. Max salary players would lose something like $10-12M over 6 years. Each team would save between $6-7M a year.

NBA Players are the most overpaid and greediest guys. They need to adopt the non guaranteed contract like football and then where you get incentives when you play.

KobeIs
01-23-2009, 05:26 PM
NBA Players are the most overpaid and greediest guys. They need to adopt the non guaranteed contract like football and then where you get incentives when you play.

Agreed. If you asked any of these guys when they first started, they would have taken 2 mil per year just to play the sport that they love the most. I think it's sad by the fact that they get paid so much.

Hellcrooner
01-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Bad time to make the salary cap thigher, player wont like it and NOW they have the option to go and earn more in Europe.

Im not talking about the kobes and lebrons, not even the gasols and Pierces but then we got the third options like Ray allen or Odom or people like that.

I can definelty see Odom going to europe if teams in nba are offering just 6 or seven million dollars and an euro teams offers him 6 TAX FREE million EUROS

Hellcrooner
01-23-2009, 05:42 PM
and im taking for sure that BENCH players , important bench players would not held a single doubt to bolt for europe for more money.

So , unless stern wants the nba to become a game of 2 superstars and 13 scrubs in each team thing, they wont reduce the salaray cap or players max salaries.

Frrrrank!!!
01-23-2009, 06:39 PM
I'd cry if there was a lockout.

Iron24th
01-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Lockout sucks.

JordansBulls
01-23-2009, 07:58 PM
I'd cry if there was a lockout.

Lockout would hopefully lower ticket prices.

Missing56&33
01-23-2009, 08:20 PM
I would miss the knicks games but i have college hoops to fall back on maybe it will give my knicks some time to get better... i will be ok with it

Missing56&33
01-23-2009, 08:22 PM
last strike we made it all the way to the finals. GO STRIKE!!! LOL