PDA

View Full Version : Shaq on Dwight Howard

Lost Art
01-23-2009, 06:05 AM
That all being said, O'Neal is reluctant to anoint Howard as the game's, well, next Shaq.

"He's a good player, but everything he's done I've invented, so I'm not impressed," O'Neal said. "For me to get my eyes wide open about another big man, he'll have to do something that I haven't seen before or something that I haven't invented. Everything that he's done, I've invented it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/allstar2009/news/story?id=3853409

Would this be acceptable from any other NBA player on the planet? Seriously, this guy is a complete a-hole. I know you guys are going to say he's just joking. But I really don't think so. He's one arrogant SOB. He's had a rough split from every single team that he's ever played for and has taken shots at every single team on his way out the door. From a longtime Lakers fan, GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!! Now tell me how Kobe's *** tastes as he racks up titles for the next 5 years or so.

Can you imagine if Kobe said this about LBJ or Wade? Or TD said this about Bosh or AJ? Show some damn respect! This is exactly why he's ruined every relationship that he's been involved in. As soon as someone is getting too much shine, he gets all bent out of shape. Just because Shaq is a big "personality" doesn't make it right. I'm done with this guy.

stawka
01-23-2009, 06:25 AM
Knew it would be a Laker fan :)

JayW_1023
01-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Ugh what are you trying to prove with this thread. A Shaq diss? These threads will only lead to more isolent prattle. I'd say good riddance to this thread.

Shaq has been known to run his mouth now and then. Making a thread about every bold comment he makes is like making a thread of about everytime KG taunts.

Lost Art
01-23-2009, 06:28 AM
Knew it would be a Laker fan :)

So you're fine with this? He didn't exactly part smoothly from the Heat either.

Lost Art
01-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Ugh what are you trying to prove with this thread. A Shaq diss? These threads will only lead to more isolent prattle. I'd say good riddance to this thread.

Shaq has been known to run his mouth now and then. Making a thread about every bold comment he makes is like making a thread of about everytime KG taunts.

He gets away with so much and it just pisses me off :mad: Other players get nitpicked on every little thing they do and somehow Shaq is the most arrogant SOB in the league and nobody says a word. Major double standard going on here. Give Dwight some respect, he does something Shaq never did........and that's PLAY SOME DAMN DEFENSE!!!!!!

JayW_1023
01-23-2009, 06:33 AM
You can't forbid athletes to talk. Sometimes I wish TO wouldn't run his mouth either but hey chances are they'll end up looking bad anyway.

Shaq didn't get away with his Kobe diss either. It prolly cost him his part time law enforcement duties.

Lost Art
01-23-2009, 06:42 AM
You can't forbid athletes to talk. Sometimes I wish TO wouldn't run his mouth either but hey chances are they'll end up looking bad anyway.

Shaq didn't get away with his Kobe diss either. It prolly cost him his part time law enforcement duties.

In the eyes of sports analysts he certainly did. I just don't think anyone in the NBA gets as much slack as the big fella. No matter what he does, he always comes out smelling like roses.

Nighthawk
01-23-2009, 07:39 AM

Would this be acceptable from any other NBA player on the planet? Seriously, this guy is a complete a-hole. I know you guys are going to say he's just joking. But I really don't think so. He's one arrogant SOB. He's had a rough split from every single team that he's ever played for and has taken shots at every single team on his way out the door. From a longtime Lakers fan, GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!! Now tell me how Kobe's *** tastes as he racks up titles for the next 5 years or so.

Can you imagine if Kobe said this about LBJ or Wade? Or TD said this about Bosh or AJ? Show some damn respect! This is exactly why he's ruined every relationship that he's been involved in. As soon as someone is getting too much shine, he gets all bent out of shape. Just because Shaq is a big "personality" doesn't make it right. I'm done with this guy.

WHAT DID HE SAY THATS SO WRONG?? Shaq is actually 100% right

Kyben36
01-23-2009, 08:14 AM
That all being said, O'Neal is reluctant to anoint Howard as the game's, well, next Shaq.

"He's a good player, but everything he's done I've invented, so I'm not impressed," O'Neal said. "For me to get my eyes wide open about another big man, he'll have to do something that I haven't seen before or something that I haven't invented. Everything that he's done, I've invented it."

So the Dunk contest means nothing. That was something he hasnt done. But seriously what can he create that Shaq Hasnt Done. Not created, Done. *** of those moves where avalible B4 shaq. He was just the first to utilize them corectly.

Nighthawk
01-23-2009, 08:27 AM
So the Dunk contest means nothing. That was something he hasnt done. But seriously what can he create that Shaq Hasnt Done. Not created, Done. *** of those moves where avalible B4 shaq. He was just the first to utilize them corectly.

dunk conest>???lol You think Shaq cares about the dunk contest? Winning the Dunk contest doesnt solidify you as one of the games best big men. Hell the dunk contest really doesnt mean anything.

Wilson
01-23-2009, 08:55 AM
:shrug:

:confused:

07MVPPatBurrell
01-23-2009, 08:56 AM
what did he say thats so wrong?? Shaq is actually 100% right

+1.

eugene
01-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Dwight is another great player, impressive talent but he will always be one step lower than Shaq. I don't agree with Shaq's thoughts 'bout inventing something, just because everything have been already invented before him in professional basketball. But I can say that he can allow himself such comments addressed to a much younger player. You must respect what Shaq have done on the court, he is 37 years old and spent 16 years in NBA but there are still no effective ways to absolutely shut him down. He has 6 trips to the finals, 4 championship rings, Olympic gold, NBA MVP, 3 times NBA Finals MVP, 8th all-time in blocks (no defense??) and finally deserved for himself to say what he want's and where he wants.

JordansBulls
01-23-2009, 09:15 AM

Yeah Shaq Dwight Kobe, but you saying Kobe will rack up titles for the next 5 years is a diss to others as well.

cHi8DaL5LA420
01-23-2009, 09:26 AM
shaq used to be my favorite player... he is nothing but a hater... he still thinks he is the best player in the world... he doesnt show any respect for anyone... what a loser i cant stand people like that... shaq go lose weight you fat ****

Frrrrank!!!
01-23-2009, 09:33 AM
lol, I don't see the big deal here, at all.

NYstateofMinD
01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Shaq is right, but Dwight is still developing. Maybe he means Dwight needs a better free throw shot or jumper? Shaq hasn't done those.

Kaptain Kanada
01-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Shaq is right. Besides, I like when guys run their mouths a bit. Keeps things interesting.

DrDEADalready
01-23-2009, 10:22 AM

Shaq isn't being arrogant its true. everything howard is doing is because of shaq. By far the most dominant big man in the league to play the game. and probably every will. now kobe isn't saying that about wade and lbj because Jordan is saying that about Kobe. Ha Ha!! ;)

KG2TB
01-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Shaq is jealous of anyone who starts to get too much of the spotlight. There's no big man in the league that is on his level but c'mon...he won't be impressed until he invents something? Get off it. What did Shaq invent? Being the most dominant physical presence on the court? Sorry, Chamberlain beat you to it. Before that, George Mikan :)

Check this difference out. When MJ speaks of Kobe he comes to his defense saying it's natural to emulate other players, especially great ones. That everyone basis their game on someone else and even he did that himself. He said it was unfair to Kobe that people always compare them and that Kobe is a great player. Why did he say this? Class, respect, and confidence. He knows where he stands.

What does Shaq say? Uhh...I'm not impressed. Until he invents something (maybe a half court hook shot will impress shaq) then I'm not impressed. I invented everything he's doing. Hell, I invented basketball. Bet you didn't know that did ya?

Doesn't sound like Shaq is too confident on where he stands. Another Orlando big man is making big noise and has a CHANCE to be up there with him. Couldn't make it with Kobe now he's making statements through the media that it was overblown and they were awesome together and he'd love to come back. Yeah no ****. You can't carry a team anymore and you're desperate to win another title because for supposedly being the most dominating big man...3 titles WITH Kobe doesn't exactly speak volumes. He had his rift with D. Wade and cried his way outta town to try to leech a championship from Nash and the Suns. If Penny would have stayed healthy no doubt he would have created a problem there as well. Shaq dude...just shutup already.

jimbobjarree
01-23-2009, 11:11 AM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P9LmHXXWiJs

by the looks of that, Dwight...and Lebron, have some work to do to be as good as Shaq :)

dasam12
01-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Shaq is definitelty good but far from the most talented big man to every play the game.
He is just bigger than everyone and learns how to use his size to his advantage.
I think he should shut his mouth and give credit where credit is due. Howard is straight nasty.
I am a Suns fans and do not think Shaq is "the missing link". I'd rather have kept Marion.

JJ81
01-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Haha I agree with him. It's probably one of the reasons why MJ doesn't give Kobe the credit he deserves

juggla53
01-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Actully Shaq everything you think you've invented was actully dont by wilt chamberlin so should he be thinking in his grave about how he was never really impressed by you?

KG2TB
01-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Haha I agree with him. It's probably one of the reasons why MJ doesn't give Kobe the credit he deserves

Totally false. Quite the opposite actually. He gives Kobe his props. He's just not on MJ's level so don't expect to hear Jordan say he is. He's not going to go out of his way and say he isn't impressed by him because he 'didn't invent something' though

Afridi786
01-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Some1 asked him about Dwight, he said his opinion...whats wrong with that...it's not like he's not telling the truth.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-23-2009, 01:54 PM
What I disagree with Shaq is where he said he "invented" all the things Dwight is doing. What did he invent? The slam dunk? I'm pretty sure guys have done that before. Using his big body? I'm pretty sure Daryl Dawkins invented that. Bad free throw shooting? I'm pretty sure Wilt was the God Father of that. What did Shaq do that was different from everyone else?

what54!?
01-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Shaq didn't invent as he says but he is right. Howard's game is pretty much just like shaq right now. don't see the big deal though.

DrDEADalready
01-23-2009, 01:57 PM
What I disagree with Shaq is where he said he "invented" all the things Dwight is doing. What did he invent? The slam dunk? I'm pretty sure guys have done that before. Using his big body? I'm pretty sure Daryl Dawkins invented that. Bad free throw shooting? I'm pretty sure Wilt was the God Father of that. What did Shaq do that was different from everyone else?

rap about Kobe?

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-23-2009, 02:00 PM
rap about Kobe?

That was a Shaq invention. Ill give him credit for that.

HOZ THE KNICK
01-23-2009, 02:00 PM
i have too agree with shaq on this one.

Draco
01-23-2009, 02:02 PM
I think those comments were tongue-in-cheek like just about everything else Shaq says. It's funny how people get angry over this. Shaq, Barkley and Walton would be laughing at you. :p

DrDEADalready
01-23-2009, 02:08 PM
That was a Shaq invention. Ill give him credit for that.

Lol See theres something Shaq did. that no one else has.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Shaq didn't invent as he says but he is right. Howard's game is pretty much just like shaq right now. don't see the big deal though.

Did you read what Shaq said? He said he would not be impressed with another big man until he does something Shaq could never do or has never seen before.

Its just a very dumb statement. Should Wilt have said he was not impressed with Shaq because he was not doing anything Wilt had not done or seen before? Wilt was a great player, he acknowledged Shaq was a great player, as he should. Shaq was a great player, he should just acknowledge Howard is a great player and leave it at that. Instead of taking credit for being the first seven footer to dunk the ball.:rolleyes:

Shaq must be extremely impressed with Yao. He is 7'6 and can step out and hit jump shots. Shaq has never seen that before. He must also be very impressed with his free throw shooting, Shaq never shot 85% before.

Its a dumb statement. I love Shaq, he is a great personality. He always makes me laugh. He is a very kind man who does a lot for less fortunate people. But that does not mean everything he says should just be shrugged off as just "Shaq being Shaq"

WadeCounty
01-23-2009, 02:21 PM
did you read what shaq said? He said he would not be impressed with another big man until he does something shaq could never do or has never seen before.

Its just a very dumb statement. Should wilt have said he was not impressed with shaq because he was not doing anything wilt had not done or seen before? Wilt was a great player, he acknowledged shaq was a great player, as he should. Shaq was a great player, he should just acknowledge howard is a great player and leave it at that. Instead of taking credit for being the first seven footer to dunk the ball.:rolleyes:

Shaq must be extremely impressed with yao. He is 7'6 and can step out and hit jump shots. Shaq has never seen that before. He must also be very impressed with his free throw shooting, shaq never shot 85% before.

Its a dumb statement. I love shaq, he is a great personality. He always makes me laugh. He is a very kind man who does a lot for less fortunate people. But that does not mean everything he says should just be shrugged off as just "shaq being shaq"

+1

LA412
01-23-2009, 03:03 PM
his comments are kind of weird.........he should show howard some love..........but howard is FAR from the next Shaq

J-Relo
01-23-2009, 04:16 PM
someone asked does HOWARD impress SHAQ?

SHAQ said, what he was thinking... well he liked Howard playing and said that he is great player, but he doesn't impress him...

why? cause he doesn't take game to another level... well at least yet...

Teeboy1487
01-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Shaq has the track record to say this. It is a matter of his opinion. I don't see anything wrong with this statement.

LA_cabals
01-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Shaq is right in what he said. Dwight is mirroring a lot of Shaq's gimmicks.

Although, I would say that they both have the same personalities. Van Gundy said it best; ""I think sometimes people look at that kind of thing, where Dwight's out there having a good time, and they doubt the seriousness of a guy. That's not the case at all,'' Van Gundy said. "He's very serious about winning and very serious about being a great player. Like Shaq, Dwight is a great person who loves to make other people smile and laugh."

Here are a couple things I noticed Dwight doing that Shaq "invented"

"Superman" title = Shaq
Staring at LEFT hand after dunk\block = Shaq

ee
01-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Dwight is way more athletic than Shaq.....If Dwight would've been a7footer, he would be averaging much better numbers..........And the superman dunks, Shaq would never do in his wildest dreams.....

LAKERS 24/7
01-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah Shaq Dwight Kobe, but you saying Kobe will rack up titles for the next 5 years is a diss to others as well.

Don't really understand what you're saying there, but you're getting completely off topic. Is that the only statement you read in his post? And either way, how can you blame a fan for being a fan? When it some to sports, you have to be an optimist not a realist.

LA_Raiders
01-23-2009, 05:40 PM

Amen...

lakers4sho
01-23-2009, 05:54 PM
did you read what shaq said? He said he would not be impressed with another big man until he does something shaq could never do or has never seen before.

Its just a very dumb statement. Should wilt have said he was not impressed with shaq because he was not doing anything wilt had not done or seen before? Wilt was a great player, he acknowledged shaq was a great player, as he should. Shaq was a great player, he should just acknowledge howard is a great player and leave it at that. Instead of taking credit for being the first seven footer to dunk the ball.:rolleyes:

Shaq must be extremely impressed with yao. He is 7'6 and can step out and hit jump shots. Shaq has never seen that before. He must also be very impressed with his free throw shooting, shaq never shot 85% before.

Its a dumb statement. I love shaq, he is a great personality. He always makes me laugh. He is a very kind man who does a lot for less fortunate people. But that does not mean everything he says should just be shrugged off as just "shaq being shaq"

+1

BALLER71
01-23-2009, 06:22 PM
This guy is bitter because Bynum is not even 1/5 of Shaq. Shaq is the most dominant Center, he could say whatever the **** he wants because he's the best Center.
And Kobe can't **** about LBJ and D-Wade because Jordan did the same **** before him. So why would Kobe criticize other players if he really hasn't invented anything?

Kenny
01-23-2009, 06:36 PM

can Kobe win ONE title without Shaq before he starts racking them up?? Just a thought

SuperDayv
01-23-2009, 06:51 PM

I'm having a brain freeze, who are TD and AJ?

soundjunkies2
01-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Everything Shaq did Wilt Chamberlain invented.

DerekRE_3
01-23-2009, 06:52 PM
I had no idea Shaq invented dunking...

Iron24th
01-23-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm having a brain freeze, who are TD and AJ?

Tim Duncan and Al Jefferson anyone? :rolleyes:

Iron24th
01-23-2009, 06:54 PM
can Kobe win ONE title without Shaq before he starts racking them up?? Just a thought

Hater :eyebrow:

Master Mind
01-23-2009, 07:01 PM
News flash Shaq---Everything you've done has been done before...What exactly did he invent? The cogillion nicknames--Add this to the list, The Big Douche...What a butt hole, he's gone senile....

bleedprple&gold
01-23-2009, 07:10 PM
I think Shaq thinks he invented the "drop step" which according to wikipedia he calls the "Black Tornado". If you asked Shaq he would probably say he invented the jump hook too.

italianyankees
01-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Shaq daddy aint got nothing on Howard

JJ_JKidd
01-24-2009, 11:42 AM

He has a point, plus hes got the rings... So he can say whatever he has... For now... Though I can see Dwight surpassing him...

IndyRealist
01-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Everything Shaq's done, Hakeem Olajuwon had done before him. Everything Hakeem had done, Moses Malone did before him. Everything Moses had done, Kareem Abdul Jabaar did before him. Everything Kareem had done, Wilt Chamberlain did before him. Everything Wilt had done, Bill Russell did before him. Before Bill Russell, there wasn't an NBA, so Bill Russell invented everything Shaq's done. Give credit where credit is due.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Shaq did all the things Howard is doing so he shouldn't be suprised

shocker34
01-24-2009, 12:34 PM
I would like to see Howard put up 40 and 20 in an NBA finals before you can say he's better or will be better than Shaq. Shaq has performed in the spotlight and has earned the right to say what he wants. 4 rings >>>> Dunk contest!!!

DieselPowered32
01-24-2009, 12:41 PM
i know Shaq was talking about Dwight's game but i think he was also having a dig at Howard on the fact that his copying Shaq in terms of calling himself "superman", staring at his left hand when he makes a shot with it, just as Shaq has always done. Howard needs to be more original and stop calling himself Superman, their's only one Superman and that's Shaq, he also needs to be a better free throw shooter than Shaq which he currently is not.

I can't wait til Shaq and Howard play against each other, hopefully it's at the all star game...if not than it will be when the Suns travel to Orlando.

One more thing Howard can never be reffered to as being the next Shaq until he does something like this

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=AMX1FGwyr38

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=5XY1pAYxuqU&feature=PlayList&p=A307137B788F212F&index=1

Raps18-19 Champ
01-24-2009, 12:45 PM
^^^ lol it said on the description on the second video that shaq was 7'1 and 390 pounds

#24 Lakerland
01-24-2009, 12:50 PM
How is that a diss to others? He's not saying Lebron sucks, Wade sucks, etc. he's saying that Kobe and his team are better than the other teams.

DitchDat
01-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Magic > Suns

Gilbert>TheRest
01-24-2009, 02:58 PM
wtf happend to shaq he used to be one of the nicest and funniest players

prash
01-24-2009, 04:37 PM
based on that quote Shaq should be in awe of Yao since he hits his free throws

brownruffryder
01-24-2009, 06:26 PM
i don't know why you ppl are talking about the best center of all time like this...some ppl are comparing him to Hakeem Olajuwon, Bill Russel. Those two are not in shaq's league!!
Olajuwon: 18 seasons
Career: 21.8 ppg, 51.2 FG%, 11.1 RPG, 2.5 APG 3.1 BPG, 1.7 SPG
Single-season highs: 27.3 PPG, 14 RPG, 4.6 BPG
Only averaged more than 25 points per game in a season four times
Shaq: in his 17th season
25.2 PPG , 58.1 FG%, 11.5 RPG, 2.4 BPG, 2.7 APG, .6 SPG
Averaged over 25 points per game 10 times
Single-season highs: 29.7 PPG 3.5 BPG 13.9 RPG
Hakeem
Won his division three times, seven times past the first round of the playoffs, four conference finals appearances.Three NBA finals appearances, two NBA titles, two Finals MVPs
Shaq
Won his division nine times, 13 times past the first round of the playoffs, nine conference finals appearance. Six NBA finals appearances, four NBA titles, three finals MVPs
Hakeem is hands down the better defender but shaq was a much better offensive player. Plus this comparison wouldn't even exist if jordan hadn't retired in 1993 because hakeem wouldn't have won any championships.
Was Russell even the best center of his generation? No, Wilt Chamberlain was hands down a better player. Chamberlain's statistics were far superior to Russellís, and if you look below at their statistics you canít refute that.

Although Russell may have won 11 titles, which is the most by any player in NBA history, Chamberlainís statistics are so much better than Russellís that the number of championships canít be a deciding factor.
Just looking at NBA titles doesnít prove anything on its own. Are Robert Horry and Steve Kerr two of the best players of all time because of how many titles theyíve won?
In fact, Russell's teams were so good that in 1957 the Celtics featured 6 future hall of famers on the same team.
For comparisons between two players with relatively close statistics, like Olajuwon and Shaq, winning can be a deciding factor. But since Russell was clearly not as dominant as Chamberlain, winning cannot be a deciding factor.
Because Russell isnít even close to being as good as the most dominant big man of his era, Wilt Chamberlain, and Shaq is the most dominant of his era, the advantage has to go to Shaq.
BIll Russell
15.1 PPG, .440 FG%, 22.5 RPG, 4.3 APG
Single-season highs: 18.9 PPG, 24.7 RPG
Wilt Chamberlain
30.1 PPG, .540 FG%, 22.9 RPG, 4.4 APG
Single-season highs: 50.4 PPG, 27.2 RPG

Plus you have to take the era into account. In russel's and chamberlain era, there was no one to challenge these guys. They were ahead of the times. There were no big guys like them. Shaq has been dominant in the modern era, which have seen many big centers play.

Also i'd like to tell all those kobe fans something. The most dominant position in the league is the center position. IF YOU DONT HAVE A STAR CENTER OR A STAR BIG GUY YOU DON'T WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. Unless you have jordan on your team ofcourse. AND BYNUM IS NOT A STAR YET!!! MAYBE IN 3 YEARS

As of dwight, he is good, but not shaq good. a dunk contest doesn't say ****.

Give the big guy some respect.

brownruffryder
01-24-2009, 07:29 PM
o yea if u want to talk about dunks, lets see dwight howard DO THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id9BWXQLSrk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP9OSWEUaus&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSdk9fvIkM4&feature=related

Lakersfan2483
01-24-2009, 08:00 PM
I like Shaq, but his act is getting old, if you are great, you don't have to tell everyone and put someone else down in the process. His tired act of dissing players is getting ridiculous.

Shieldsz
01-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Shaq is right but still wrong.

Dwight is doing what Shaq did, making him the next Shaq in my book. A muscle guy down low who is nearly unstoppable. Can't hit their free throws.

Hoopsadvocate
01-24-2009, 08:13 PM
He's shaq if you don't like it don't read it, its that simple. To some extent he's right and to an extent has a right to be cocky he is leaps and bounds better than howard, but i do agree it doesnt give him the right to put howard down but i don't think he did that in this statement he was probably asked a question and he gave his take on it he didn't go out of his way to insult howard he even included a compliment in there. Regardless Shaq is who he is just get over it.

KG2TB
01-24-2009, 08:13 PM
i don't know why you ppl are talking about the best center of all time like this...some ppl are comparing him to Hakeem Olajuwon, Bill Russel. Those two are not in shaq's league!!
Olajuwon: 18 seasons
Career: 21.8 ppg, 51.2 FG%, 11.1 RPG, 2.5 APG 3.1 BPG, 1.7 SPG
Single-season highs: 27.3 PPG, 14 RPG, 4.6 BPG
Only averaged more than 25 points per game in a season four times
Shaq: in his 17th season
25.2 PPG , 58.1 FG%, 11.5 RPG, 2.4 BPG, 2.7 APG, .6 SPG
Averaged over 25 points per game 10 times
Single-season highs: 29.7 PPG 3.5 BPG 13.9 RPG
Hakeem
Won his division three times, seven times past the first round of the playoffs, four conference finals appearances.Three NBA finals appearances, two NBA titles, two Finals MVPs
Shaq
Won his division nine times, 13 times past the first round of the playoffs, nine conference finals appearance. Six NBA finals appearances, four NBA titles, three finals MVPs
Hakeem is hands down the better defender but shaq was a much better offensive player. Plus this comparison wouldn't even exist if jordan hadn't retired in 1993 because hakeem wouldn't have won any championships.
Was Russell even the best center of his generation? No, Wilt Chamberlain was hands down a better player. Chamberlain's statistics were far superior to Russellís, and if you look below at their statistics you canít refute that.

Although Russell may have won 11 titles, which is the most by any player in NBA history, Chamberlainís statistics are so much better than Russellís that the number of championships canít be a deciding factor.
Just looking at NBA titles doesnít prove anything on its own. Are Robert Horry and Steve Kerr two of the best players of all time because of how many titles theyíve won?
In fact, Russell's teams were so good that in 1957 the Celtics featured 6 future hall of famers on the same team.
For comparisons between two players with relatively close statistics, like Olajuwon and Shaq, winning can be a deciding factor. But since Russell was clearly not as dominant as Chamberlain, winning cannot be a deciding factor.
Because Russell isnít even close to being as good as the most dominant big man of his era, Wilt Chamberlain, and Shaq is the most dominant of his era, the advantage has to go to Shaq.
BIll Russell
15.1 PPG, .440 FG%, 22.5 RPG, 4.3 APG
Single-season highs: 18.9 PPG, 24.7 RPG
Wilt Chamberlain
30.1 PPG, .540 FG%, 22.9 RPG, 4.4 APG
Single-season highs: 50.4 PPG, 27.2 RPG

Plus you have to take the era into account. In russel's and chamberlain era, there was no one to challenge these guys. They were ahead of the times. There were no big guys like them. Shaq has been dominant in the modern era, which have seen many big centers play.

Also i'd like to tell all those kobe fans something. The most dominant position in the league is the center position. IF YOU DONT HAVE A STAR CENTER OR A STAR BIG GUY YOU DON'T WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. Unless you have jordan on your team ofcourse. AND BYNUM IS NOT A STAR YET!!! MAYBE IN 3 YEARS

As of dwight, he is good, but not shaq good. a dunk contest doesn't say ****.

Give the big guy some respect.

Didn't the Rockets play the Magic in the finals? Didn't Shaq and Hakeem go head to head. Now, I don't know how their numbers compared in the series, but I do know who was the winner of that series.

Hakeem is one of the most underrated players of all time. He played great defense, was agile, had a great shot for a big man, took you inside and out...made his free throws. O'Neal is probably the better player than Hakeem. But to say they're not even in the same league? C'mon! Also, if you want to compare the two on how much success they had in the playoffs and how many titles they have you should have also compared O'Neal to Russell's success as well. Since it's so important and all. 8 > 4

brownruffryder
01-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Didn't the Rockets play the Magic in the finals? Didn't Shaq and Hakeem go head to head. Now, I don't know how their numbers compared in the series, but I do know who was the winner of that series.

Hakeem is one of the most underrated players of all time. He played great defense, was agile, had a great shot for a big man, took you inside and out...made his free throws. O'Neal is probably the better player than Hakeem. But to say they're not even in the same league? C'mon! Also, if you want to compare the two on how much success they had in the playoffs and how many titles they have you should have also compared O'Neal to Russell's success as well. Since it's so important and all. 8 > 4

when rockets played magic, hakeem was in his prime and shaq was drafted from high school and he was in his 3rd year, so there is no comparing them there. and i admitted hakem was a better defender, but he wasn't dominant like shaq. If you read my message properly you would know why russelll shouldn't be included, he played with 6 hall of famers. he was part of what is considered to be the best team of all time.

THE_SWAMI
01-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Is Shaq drunk am i crazy or is Dwight Howard the first big man to win the Slam Dunk contest did Shaq do that?? No he didn't. Shaq you don't have to pass the torch because Dwight is gonna take it if he hasn't already

brownruffryder
01-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Is Shaq drunk am i crazy or is Dwight Howard the first big man to win the Slam Dunk contest did Shaq do that?? No he didn't. Shaq you don't have to pass the torch because Dwight is gonna take it if he hasn't already

lol, this makes me laugh. slam dunk contest. lol hahaha...you think a slam dunk contest decides who is good or not???!!!! dwight is not even close to shaq's torch. shaq put it up so high, that dwight would have to actually fly to reach it. shaq wasn't in the dunk contest cause they were afraid he was going to break the net

leftie5
01-24-2009, 09:07 PM
The man speaks the truth as hard as it may be for some to take. He never said Dwight is not a great player so I don't know why people are freaking out about it. It seems like a lot of fans these days are just like the media and over react to everything people say.

ratatat
01-24-2009, 09:18 PM

can you please insight me on how this saying kobe will rack up titles for the next 5 years is a diss to others. wow, you take everything way to seriously. i understand though, your just a laker hater. i smell a ban coming because you might feel calling you a lakers hater is a diss. oh well, dont really care. peace

nd4T.O.
01-24-2009, 09:22 PM
ok i agree with shaq to an extent...but suns fans are the NBA version on Eagles fans one min they hate shaq next they love him...if he loves PHX so much why did he say he wouldnt mind and would like to go back to LA

theimortalone
01-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Magic > Suns

:rolleyes: What does that have do with the title of the thread "Shaq on Dwight Howard"?

theimortalone
01-24-2009, 10:18 PM
lol, this makes me laugh. slam dunk contest. lol hahaha...you think a slam dunk contest decides who is good or not???!!!! dwight is not even close to shaq's torch. shaq put it up so high, that dwight would have to actually fly to reach it. shaq wasn't in the dunk contest cause they were afraid he was going to break the net

Hey, cut him a break! He is probably 12, and thinks the dunk contest is the greatest think in the world! :rolleyes: Haha 4 Champions > 1 time slam dunk winner.

KG2TB
01-26-2009, 03:50 AM
when rockets played magic, hakeem was in his prime and shaq was drafted from high school and he was in his 3rd year, so there is no comparing them there. and i admitted hakem was a better defender, but he wasn't dominant like shaq. If you read my message properly you would know why russelll shouldn't be included, he played with 6 hall of famers. he was part of what is considered to be the best team of all time.

Dude, you severely hurt your argument because Shaq wasn't drafted out of highschool. He went to LSU. There is much a comparison there because Shaq was extremely dominant that year. Also, Russell played with 6 hall of fame players but who did he have to shut down? Wilt Chamberlain. Pretty dominant guy right there. I guess my point is, Shaq is a better player than Howard. That's great, but to say you're not impressed just because he doesn't make lefty half court hook shots is just a jab at him that's unnecessary. The fact is, Howard is dominating in this league right now and you're his biggest influence. If it wasn't for Shaq, Howard wouldn't be doing the things he's doing. If I were Shaq, I'd be humbled by that and not belittle what he's doing.

While Hakeem might not have had the trillion names, the mouth, and the hype, he was still an all-time great center. It's debatable, but Shaq is the better player but that doesn't change the fact that they're in the same league. They definitely are.

Duncan = Donkey
01-26-2009, 04:31 AM
ok i agree with shaq to an extent...but suns fans are the NBA version on Eagles fans one min they hate shaq next they love him...if he loves PHX so much why did he say he wouldnt mind and would like to go back to LA

thats the stupidest thing i have heard in a long time.

u think wizads fans wouldnt like lebron if he played for them??:rolleyes:

brownruffryder
01-26-2009, 05:03 AM
Dude, you severely hurt your argument because Shaq wasn't drafted out of highschool. He went to LSU. There is much a comparison there because Shaq was extremely dominant that year. Also, Russell played with 6 hall of fame players but who did he have to shut down? Wilt Chamberlain. Pretty dominant guy right there. I guess my point is, Shaq is a better player than Howard. That's great, but to say you're not impressed just because he doesn't make lefty half court hook shots is just a jab at him that's unnecessary. The fact is, Howard is dominating in this league right now and you're his biggest influence. If it wasn't for Shaq, Howard wouldn't be doing the things he's doing. If I were Shaq, I'd be humbled by that and not belittle what he's doing.

While Hakeem might not have had the trillion names, the mouth, and the hype, he was still an all-time great center. It's debatable, but Shaq is the better player but that doesn't change the fact that they're in the same league. They definitely are.

my bad did i say high school? it doesn't matter, that fact remains shaq was not in his prime and he was still dominant. And you talking about russell had shut down chamberlain, lol no one i mean NO ONE shut down chamberlain. chamberlain dominated russell when those two played, the only difference was the squad around them(which russell had the advantage). And by the way other than russell and chamberlain do you know any dominant centers in that era or even as big? no, chamberlain (class 1) and russell (class2) were in the league of their own. shaq played in a era which had many big strong, and skilled centers.
hakeem is great, but i still wouldn't put him in the same league just because he can't dominate a game. anyways, shaq had an opinion, you guys are ******** because he has an opinion??!!! seriously, i hate kobe, that's my thought and opinion, you might think differently but that's not going to change my view

Shortys4711
01-26-2009, 07:02 AM
speaking as a Suns fan, I would have to agree with you thoughts on shaq thinking shaq is the best ever, With out a doubt he was one of the best centers to ever be in the league, and is still playing quite well at the moment, but he needs to stop running his mouth about how great he is. Michael jordan is the best player to play the game and he never run his mouth this way. I think Shaq and also Lebron need to take a leaf outta Jordans book. And one more thing, the dunk by D Howard would defintly be somthing that shaq didnt invent, I can only think of one person who comes close to D12 Dunk in the dunk contest and that was Darrel Armstrong who also did a lay up, But he didnt win though.

BeantownBill
01-26-2009, 07:56 AM

He should probably win ONE before we start talking about multiple titles.