PDA

View Full Version : All-Star reserves?

toronto_JazzFan
01-23-2009, 12:18 AM
who would be your choice of reserves for the all star game?

carter15
01-23-2009, 12:21 AM
quite some choices u have there :P:P:P

toronto_JazzFan
01-23-2009, 12:26 AM
o lol my bad i forgot i wanted to see yours my mistake

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-23-2009, 12:50 AM
East Starters:

AI
Wade
LeBron
KG
D12

Reserves:
Devin Harris
Joe Johnson
Paul Peirce
Ray Allen
Danny Granger
CB4
Antawn Jamison

West Starters:

CP3
Kobe
Amare
Tim Duncan
Yao

Reserves:
Brandon Roy
Chauncey Billups
Melo
Dirk
Pau
Shaq

ProdigyI
01-23-2009, 01:07 AM
Derrick Rose
Derrick Rose
Derrick Rose
Derrick Rose
Derrick Rose
Derrick Rose

DERRRRICCKKKK ROOOOSSSSSEEEE:cry:

Hawkeye15
01-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Al Jefferson will get the shaft yet again. 22-10.6-1.7. Whatever.

madiaz3
01-23-2009, 01:20 AM
If Al Jefferson makes it then David Lee should as backup east center.

They both aren't going to for the same reasons.

JordansBulls
01-23-2009, 01:49 AM
Reserves:
Devin Harris
Joe Johnson
Paul Pierce
Ray Allen
Danny Granger
Bosh (move to Center)
Antawn Jamison
Mo Williams

Reserves:
Brandon Roy
Chauncey Billups
Melo
Dirk
Pau
Shaq

THE MTL
01-23-2009, 01:52 AM
CHRIS BOSH is NOTTTTT a center and they have discussed this on TNT! In a very high debate actually. It has to be between Lee, Okafor, and Ilgauskas.

Lakers09
01-23-2009, 01:58 AM
i just wanna see shaq and kobe playing again with phil as their coach. its gonna be sick!

p.s. can anyone help me with getting a sick sig. please just message me

THE MTL
01-23-2009, 02:02 AM
East Reserves:
Johnson
Harris
Granger
Bosh
Lee*
Lewis
Pierce

*There must be a center and Bosh is not listed as a center. Now iono if they can change him to a center, but right now Lee is better than Okafor and Ilgauskas. However if Bosh is changed to a center than Lee's spot would go to Vince Carter.

West Reserves:
Billups
Roy
Dirk
Melo
Shaq
Parker
West

DenButsu
01-23-2009, 02:08 AM
CHRIS BOSH is NOTTTTT a center and they have discussed this on TNT! In a very high debate actually. It has to be between Lee, Okafor, and Ilgauskas.

I was under the impression that there was less rigidity than the strict G-G-F-F-C requirements for the starters when it came to the coaches picking the reserves. But I could be wrong about this.

THE MTL
01-23-2009, 02:12 AM
I was under the impression that there was less rigidity than the strict G-G-F-F-C requirements for the starters when it came to the coaches picking the reserves. But I could be wrong about this.

I thought the same, but the TNT announcers who are more in tune to the rules than us; said Bosh was not a center and therefore must vote for a person listed at Center. Now iono if you can change that or not. However, you can always make the argument that ppl should be able to change their listing during the allstar balloting.

By the way, Bosh wont be starting for a long time...with KG and James and Yi. When Yi gets even marginally better, he would give Bosh a run for his money.

thebusnotjerome
01-23-2009, 02:29 AM
Western Conference:
Yao Ming
Amare Stoudemire
Tim Duncan
Kobe Bryant
Chris Paul

Bench:
Shaquille O'Neal
Dirk Nowitzki
Kevin Durant
Brandon Roy
Chauncey Billups
Paul Millsap
Tony Parker

Eastern Conference:
Dwight Howard
Kevin Garnett
LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Allen Iverson

Bench:
Chris Bosh
Josh Smith
Danny Granger
Paul Pierce
Mo Williams
Joe Johnson
Devin Harris

pastrecedes
01-23-2009, 03:01 AM

coaches have to pick two guards, two fowards, one center, and then two players regardless of position :)

thrilla11
01-23-2009, 03:23 AM
For the effort that he's given i think that Marcus Camby should be a reserve. He was averaging 20 rebounds for like 3 straight games until he got injured adding to the walking wounded in LA.

NYstateofMinD
01-23-2009, 10:33 AM
East Starters

G A. Iverson
G D. Wade
F L. James
F K. Garnett
C D. Howard

Reserves

G D. Harris
G J. Johnson
F D. Granger
F C. Bosh
C D. Lee
F P. Pierce
G V. Carter

West

G C. Paul
G K. Bryant
F A. Stoudamire
F T. Duncan
C Y. Ming

Reserves

G C. Billups
G B. Roy
F D. Nowitzki
F K. Durant
C S. O'Neal
G D. Williams
C A. Jefferson

DrDEADalready
01-23-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't care who the reserves are . But I think Paul Millsap. should def be in there. if not at least be considered by the coaches. but he probably won't. Because Utah gets no love from the nba :cry:

JJ81
01-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Pau Gasol

b_russ
01-23-2009, 11:47 AM
East Starters

G A. Iverson
G D. Wade
F L. James
F K. Garnett
C D. Howard

Reserves

G D. Harris
G J. Johnson
F D. Granger
F C. Bosh
C D. Lee
F P. Pierce
G V. Carter

West

G C. Paul
G K. Bryant
F A. Stoudamire
F T. Duncan
C Y. Ming

Reserves

G C. Billups
G B. Roy
F D. Nowitzki
F K. Durant
C S. O'Neal
G D. Williams
C A. Jefferson

I agree with these reserves. I was trying to think of who to put in place of Vince Carter, but after looking at it he probably does deserve to be there. That's crazy though, two Nets this year!

op12
01-23-2009, 12:05 PM
East Starters

G A. Iverson
G D. Wade
F L. James
F K. Garnett
C D. Howard

Reserves

G D. Harris
G J. Johnson
F D. Granger
F C. Bosh
C D. Lee
F P. Pierce
G V. Carter

West

G C. Paul
G K. Bryant
F A. Stoudamire
F T. Duncan
C Y. Ming

Reserves

G C. Billups
G B. Roy
F D. Nowitzki
F K. Durant
C S. O'Neal
G D. Williams
C A. Jefferson

pretty good, but i doubt that durant will make it. i dont think it should be melo but probably will be. might even be gasol.

Lost Art
01-23-2009, 12:12 PM
How could you guys not put Gasol in there? The Lakers have the best record in the NBA and you're telling me that they're only going to get one allstar selection. If history has told us anything the top teams in the league always get 2-3 selections whether they are putting up monster numbers or not (which Gasol is anyway). Especially when they are running away with their conference (see Detroit Pistons).

Oefarmy2005
01-23-2009, 12:40 PM
How could you guys not put Gasol in there? The Lakers have the best record in the NBA and you're telling me that they're only going to get one allstar selection. If history has told us anything the top teams in the league always get 2-3 selections whether they are putting up monster numbers or not (which Gasol is anyway). Especially when they are running away with their conference (see Detroit Pistons).

Gasol should probably be there, but that would make my guy Al Jefferson the odd man out and he deserved to be there last year. I am fine with the starters coming from the winning teams, but I think that people from loosing teams, especially as good as Al should get a chance. You know KG would be there and was when Minny was 32-50 at the end of the season.

prodigy
01-23-2009, 01:00 PM

thats the problem with the all-star game. Why can't centers play the center sport, PF's play the PF stop, i just don't get it. PF's should not be playing center.

sturge
01-23-2009, 01:18 PM
D Lee deserves his place as back up C

Not his natural postition

Is consistantly getting double doubles

Aside from the Knicks Danny Granger, Paul Millsap deserve their places too

DenButsu
01-23-2009, 01:33 PM
thats the problem with the all-star game. Why can't centers play the center sport, PF's play the PF stop, i just don't get it. PF's should not be playing center.

I just chalk that up to the lack of existence of quality players who are true centers. There just aren't enough to go around.

NYstateofMinD
01-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Well Melo is injured and might miss it therefor i put Durant in his place. Gasol is playing great but I just think Durant deserves it more because he's the better player. Feel free to argue as you please just my opinion.

PIPster86
01-23-2009, 01:54 PM
East
Starters:
PG A. Iverson
SG D. Wade
SF L. James
PF K. Garnett
C D. Howard

Reserves:
G D. Harris
G J. Johnson
G R. Allen
F D. Granger
F P. Pierce
F C. Bosh
C D. Lee

West
Starters:
PG C. Paul
SG K. Bryant
PF A. Stoudamire
PF T. Duncan
C Y. Ming

Reserves:
G C. Billups
G D. Williams
G B. Roy
F P. Gasol
F K. Durant
F D. Nowitzki
C A. Jefferson

Morgan
01-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Rajon Rondo
Joe Johnson
Paul Pierce
Ray Allen
Danny Granger
Bosh
Antawn Jamison
Mo Williams

Reserves:
Brandon Roy
Chauncey Billups
Melo
Dirk
Pau
Shaq[/QUOTE]

PIPster86
01-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Besides the fact that you have to many reserves for the Eastern team and not enough for the Western team im going to have to say that your prediction will not happen.

Hawkeye15
01-23-2009, 03:03 PM
If Al Jefferson makes it then David Lee should as backup east center.

They both aren't going to for the same reasons.

David Lee couldn't carry Al Jefferson's jock dude. Please.

thesparky33
01-23-2009, 03:15 PM
I really am kind of pissed, cuz I know the coaches are going to shaft Al Jeff again this year.

If you vote Chris Bosh in, then the whole argument about being on a bad team goes out the window, so that's why I'm pissed off. Also, if Shaq is the one who take's Al's place, I'll be pissed since even though Shaq has played well this season, not anywhere near all-star caliber, and the Suns arent doing that great either IMO, and Shaq isnt a reason for that either. It would be one thing if the Suns had the #1 record in the league, but they dont...

Hawkeye15
01-23-2009, 05:30 PM
I really am kind of pissed, cuz I know the coaches are going to shaft Al Jeff again this year.

If you vote Chris Bosh in, then the whole argument about being on a bad team goes out the window, so that's why I'm pissed off. Also, if Shaq is the one who take's Al's place, I'll be pissed since even though Shaq has played well this season, not anywhere near all-star caliber, and the Suns arent doing that great either IMO, and Shaq isnt a reason for that either. It would be one thing if the Suns had the #1 record in the league, but they dont...

well, he isn't getting in I don't think. He deserves it, but they sucked so bad the first 27 games of the year, it will be tough. If the Wolves can win the next few games, and he plays huge, the coaches may take a look at him. Whatever, he is 24. He will be a fixture soon enough

IndyRealist
01-23-2009, 05:41 PM
They'll put Shaq in because he's on the tail end of his career and still putting up numbers. Al Jefferson'll have his chance, he's young.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-23-2009, 05:51 PM

They moved him to a center last time cuz no one was good enough to be a center

JordansBulls
01-23-2009, 05:55 PM
East Starters

G A. Iverson
G D. Wade
F L. James
F K. Garnett
C D. Howard

Reserves

G D. Harris
G J. Johnson
F D. Granger
F C. Bosh
C D. Lee
F P. Pierce
G V. Carter

West

G C. Paul
G K. Bryant
F A. Stoudamire
F T. Duncan
C Y. Ming

Reserves

G C. Billups
G B. Roy
F D. Nowitzki
F K. Durant
C S. O'Neal
G D. Williams
C A. Jefferson

There is no way that Gasol doesn't make the allstar team this year.

LA_Raiders
01-23-2009, 05:58 PM
East Starters:

AI
Wade
LeBron
KG
D12

Reserves:
Devin Harris
Joe Johnson
Josh Smith
Danny Granger
CB4
Antawn Jamison
Lewis

West Starters:

CP3
Kobe
Amare
Tim Duncan
Yao

Reserves:
Brandon Roy
Chauncey Billups
Melo
Dirk
Pau
Shaq

legendkillerv2
01-23-2009, 06:42 PM
What about VC Vince Carter....

toronto_JazzFan
01-23-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't care who the reserves are . But I think Paul Millsap. should def be in there. if not at least be considered by the coaches. but he probably won't. Because Utah gets no love from the nba :cry: So true Utah get no love from the nba

jimbobjarree
01-23-2009, 08:01 PM
I dont get why Melo deserves it so much, he was injured at the start of the season and he's injured now, and he's been meh all season, IMO someone else deserve it more like Millsap whos carried our team to a respectable record, or West/Dirk/Gasol as forward back up

jimbobjarree
01-23-2009, 08:02 PM
So true Utah get no love from the nba

and agreed...I think its mostly ESPN, I dont think they even know we exist

madiaz3
01-23-2009, 08:30 PM
David Lee couldn't carry Al Jefferson's jock dude. Please.

Al Jefferson could learn some defense from David Lee.

Chronz
01-23-2009, 09:54 PM
West
G: Billups, Roy
F: Dirk, Pau
C: Shaq
WC: Milsap, Tony Parker

East
G: Jameer, Joe Johnson
F: Pierce, Bosh
C: Zydrunas
WC: Granger, Ray Allen

ShaunRiching9
01-23-2009, 10:21 PM
East Reserves
Devon Harris
Joe Johnson
Jose Calderon
Chris Bosh
Danny Granger
Paul Pierce
Andre Igoudala
West Reserves
Brandon Roy
Deron Williams
Shaq O'neal
Kevin Durant
Dirk Nowitzky
Carmelo Anthony
Pau Gasol

bogmon
01-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Western Conference:
Yao Ming
Amare Stoudemire
Tim Duncan
Kobe Bryant
Chris Paul

Bench:
Shaquille O'Neal
Dirk Nowitzki
Deron Williams
Brandon Roy
Chauncey Billups
David West
Carmello Anthony

Eastern Conference:
Dwight Howard
Kevin Garnett
LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Allen Iverson

Bench:
Chris Bosh
Michael Redd
Danny Granger
Paul Pierce
Mo Williams
Joe Johnson
Devin Harris

The Prodigy
01-23-2009, 11:20 PM
East Reserves
G)Devin Harris
G)Joe Johnson
F)Danny Granger
F)Chris Bosh
C)Big Z
1.Rajon(Shouldn't be thier imo)
2.Paul Pierce

West Reserves
G)Brandon Roy
G)Deron Williams
F)Dirk
F)Carmello Anthony
C)Shaq
1.Durant
2.Chandler

brevinknight
01-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Wheres the love for Steve Nash and Lamarcus Aldridge?

BranWingss
01-24-2009, 12:08 AM
East Bench:
C-Big Z
PF-Bosh
SF-GRANGER
SG-AI-VINCE CARTER
PG-HARRIS-RAY ALLEN

BoltLakerPadre
01-24-2009, 12:28 AM
My picks would be Pau and based on the last 2 games, Bynum.

Hawkeye15
01-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Al Jefferson could learn some defense from David Lee.

right, cause AJ was in the top 5 last year, and is going for 22-10.5 this year. Lee could learn everything else.

madiaz3
01-24-2009, 12:50 AM
right, cause AJ was in the top 5 last year, and is going for 22-10.5 this year. Lee could learn everything else.

Not Lee's fault he actually has other people he can score on his team.

Hawkeye15
01-24-2009, 01:35 AM

if you actually consider Lee in Al Jefferson's realm, that is comical. 23-11-1.5. Nobody this side of Howard can match that.

Oefarmy2005
01-24-2009, 02:34 AM

Are you serious. Like who. The Wolves are not a good team, but comon outside of Al "freaking" Harrington, who is average this year at best, the Knicks have absolutely nobody and like 20 mil more in payroll. As I've said, the Timberwolves are not a good team, but they are definetly better than the Knicks. You picked Danillo Galinary with the 6th pick for crying outloud. David Lee is comparable to K. Love, but Love will be better in a year or two, so not even close to Al.

thesparky33
01-24-2009, 04:45 AM
The Wolves just beat Chris Paul and the Hornets, and have won 10 out of their last 14 games... how much more would they have to prove for Al Jeff to get any kind of recognition?

DenButsu
01-24-2009, 04:55 AM
The Wolves just beat Chris Paul and the Hornets, and have won 10 out of their last 14 games... how much more would they have to prove for Al Jeff to get any kind of recognition?

Better than 4th in the NW? :shrug:
:p

But joking aside, I think he'll get his soon enough. He's already on the radar screen of every serious NBA fan as being one of the best bigs out there, and it won't take long for the more casual fans to follow suit. Also, the Wolves will be winning more in the future in all likelihood (although not so much against the Nuggets), which of course will help him get more recognition.

NYstateofMinD
01-24-2009, 12:41 PM
There is no way that Gasol doesn't make the allstar team this year.

Over who on my list? I picked the players I think SHOULD make it. Gasol will make it over Durant most likely but Durant is more deserving.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Easy

G-Johnson
G-Carter
F-Peirce
F-Granger
C-Bosh
G-Nelson
G-Williams

West

G-Billups
G-Roy
F-Dirk
F-Pau
C-Shaq
G-Nash
G-Williams

Didn't put people like Carmelo, Harris, and a couple of others because they might be injured come ASG. Atleast that's what I heard.

And I didn't put players like Jefferson and Aldridge cuz they already have 3 seven footers as bench

NyYaNkEeS 91
01-24-2009, 03:23 PM
East:
Devin Harris
Joe Johnson
Paul Peirce
Danny Granger
Chris Bosh
Antawn Jamison

West:
Roy
Chauncey
Dirk
Pau
Shaq

thesparky33
01-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Why do people pick Shaq over Jefferson?

Chronz
01-24-2009, 06:20 PM

its debateable

Hawkeye15
01-24-2009, 06:30 PM

becuse it's Shaq. Phx falling out of the top 8 in the west may help. Technically, they are out of the playoffs right now. But Shaq is a huge personality, and has had a rebound year. Is Jefferson better? Clearly. But he may have to wait yet again. Don't worry, when the Wolves are over .500 at this point next year, they won't be able to deny him.

Hawkeye15
01-24-2009, 06:31 PM
They showed a center comparison in the west last night. It clearly showed that individually, Al Jefferson was the best center in the west. Now, I would not declare him better than Yao I don't think, but the stats say so, big time.

thesparky33
01-24-2009, 10:48 PM
its debateable

How is it debatable?

Only argument that could go Shaq's way is that the Suns have a better record, but even so, they are still out of the playoffs in the West, and lately have been playing like garbage, while the Wolves have started to play amazing ball.

Only reason Shaq gets in is because the coaches want to see him in his likely last All-Star appearance, in a "lifetime achievement" sort of way IMO.

Chronz
01-25-2009, 12:55 AM
How is it debatable?

Only argument that could go Shaq's way is that the Suns have a better record, but even so, they are still out of the playoffs in the West, and lately have been playing like garbage, while the Wolves have started to play amazing ball.

Only reason Shaq gets in is because the coaches want to see him in his likely last All-Star appearance, in a "lifetime achievement" sort of way IMO.

Its debatable because their impact on the game is similar, Shaq has regained the power in his buttocks, hes gotten to that level if you dont double team him hes scoring big again. Hes arguably the best player on the Suns (When hes on the floor) Amare and Nash are both more valuable because they play alot more so the only thing he has going against him is that he takes games off and is only on the floor 30 minutes a night. But if your measuring how he impacts the game when hes on the floor hes a better all-around offensive player than Al, he sports the higher rebound rate, and hes on a winning team, his defense has been **** IMO but isnt Al Jefferson still a **** defender as well?

To me it boils down to whether you think Shaq's intangibles as a winner and champion outweigh Al Jeffersons ability to play every game. I dont, thats why I have Shaq as my sub at Center but Al Jefferson is definitely a viable option as well. I wouldnt take offense to having a resurgent Shaq above an up and coming Jefferson.

Chronz
01-25-2009, 12:57 AM
They showed a center comparison in the west last night. It clearly showed that individually, Al Jefferson was the best center in the west. Now, I would not declare him better than Yao I don't think, but the stats say so, big time.

Yao is definitely the Wests best center, and Shaq is playing at a similar level offensively. The stats among the 3 are all pretty close

G-Funk
01-25-2009, 01:18 AM
West:

Guards: Nash, Billups. Roy
Fowards: Gasol, Dirk. Melo
Center: Shaq.

East:
Guards:Johnson, Harris. Mo
Fowards:Bosh,Pierce, Smith.Granger.
Center

dawgsfan_45
01-25-2009, 02:10 AM
I dont know if I'm just being a homer but I think Al Horford>David Lee.

thesparky33
01-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Its debatable because their impact on the game is similar, Shaq has regained the power in his buttocks, hes gotten to that level if you dont double team him hes scoring big again. Hes arguably the best player on the Suns (When hes on the floor) Amare and Nash are both more valuable because they play alot more so the only thing he has going against him is that he takes games off and is only on the floor 30 minutes a night. But if your measuring how he impacts the game when hes on the floor hes a better all-around offensive player than Al, he sports the higher rebound rate, and hes on a winning team, his defense has been **** IMO but isnt Al Jefferson still a **** defender as well?

To me it boils down to whether you think Shaq's intangibles as a winner and champion outweigh Al Jeffersons ability to play every game. I dont, thats why I have Shaq as my sub at Center but Al Jefferson is definitely a viable option as well. I wouldnt take offense to having a resurgent Shaq above an up and coming Jefferson.

All good points.

But who would you rather have on your team for this season only? Al Jeff or Shaq?

JayW_1023
01-25-2009, 06:36 AM
West reserves:

Brandon Roy
Chauncey Billups
Pau Gasol
Dirk Nowitzki
Al Jefferson
Tony Parker
Shaq

East reserves:

Ray Allen
Joe Johnson
Chris Bosh
Hedo Turkoglu (deserves it...he is Orlando's best all-round player)
David Lee
Derrick Rose (a rookie, so what? he has been dazzling for such a young player)
Danny Granger

LakerzDQ
01-25-2009, 08:09 AM
All good points.

But who would you rather have on your team for this season only? Al Jeff or Shaq?

ah.

Steve Nash
Jason Richardson
Matt Barnes
Amare Stoudemire
Al Jefferson

that's is one badazz team.

Hawkeye15
01-25-2009, 01:15 PM

All valid stuff, but when Shaq was a winner and a great center, Al Jefferson was in high school. We are talking 08-09'. Jefferson is a better player, no question. And his defense is better than in past years.

Hoopsadvocate
01-25-2009, 04:42 PM
EAST reserves :

C: David Lee
F: Paul Pierce, Danny Granger, Chris Bosh
G: Joe Johnson, Devin Harris

Last spot up for grabs i think will be between: Derrick Rose, Jammier Nelson, Andre Iguadala

WEST reserves:

C: Al Jefferson
F: Carmelo Anthony, Dirk Nowitzki
G: Chauncy Billups, Tony Parker, Brandon Roy

Last spot up for grabs i believe will be between: Shaq, Paul Milsap, Pau Gasol

Chronz
01-25-2009, 05:06 PM
All valid stuff, but when Shaq was a winner and a great center, Al Jefferson was in high school. We are talking 08-09'. Jefferson is a better player, no question. And his defense is better than in past years.

Believe me I wouldnt have said any of this about Shaq a year ago, hes back and ready for one last title push.

Chronz
01-25-2009, 05:07 PM
EAST reserves :

C: David Lee
F: Paul Pierce, Danny Granger, Chris Bosh
G: Joe Johnson, Devin Harris

Last spot up for grabs i think will be between: Derrick Rose, Jammier Nelson, Andre Iguadala

WEST reserves:

C: Al Jefferson
F: Carmelo Anthony, Dirk Nowitzki
G: Chauncy Billups, Tony Parker, Brandon Roy

Last spot up for grabs i believe will be between: Shaq, Paul Milsap, Pau Gasol

Why isnt Pau on the list from the get go?

Hawkeye15
01-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Believe me I wouldnt have said any of this about Shaq a year ago, hes back and ready for one last title push.

I wrote him off too, and he is playing well. But he has missed 7 games, scores 5 ppg fewer, and 2 rpg less. Plus, Big Al has averaged 26/14.5 against Shaq this year, Shaq 20/11 against Al. If Minny wins their next 2 (vs Chi, @ Mil), they will be 16-27 at the end of the week. I think Al deserves it.

kantiiii23
01-25-2009, 07:31 PM
West: Deron Williams, Brandon Roy, Chauncey Billups, Carmelo Anthony, Pau Gasol, Shaq, Dirk Nowitzki

East: Joe Johnson, Moe Williams, Jameer Nelson, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Danny Grainger, Chris Bosh

DenButsu
01-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Tonight Nene tied the Nuggets franchise record for a perfect shooting game with a 12/12 outing. The previous record was set in 1978. The time it was done previous to this by any NBA player was on January 17th by Yao (who most seem to agree is the best center in the west).

Nene's numbers in January:

MIN FG PCT FT PCT STL BLK TO OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
33.2 68-109 .624 57-78 .731 1.1 0.9 2.0 2.6 6.6 9.3 1.5 17.5

And he has been playing some fantastic defense.

I know he won't get selected. But it's sad that Shaq, who gets similar numbers with less efficiency, and who doesn't even play one game out of every back to back, is in the conversation and Nene isn't. Booooo. :down:

Iggydelphia
01-26-2009, 12:10 AM
i know it wont happen this year.. and it might seem like im being byist by my name..... but the way Andre Iguodala has been playing during philly's surge makes him worthy imo..

Chronz
01-26-2009, 04:25 AM
Tonight Nene tied the Nuggets franchise record for a perfect shooting game with a 12/12 outing. The previous record was set in 1978. The time it was done previous to this by any NBA player was on January 17th by Yao (who most seem to agree is the best center in the west).

Nene's numbers in January:

MIN FG PCT FT PCT STL BLK TO OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
33.2 68-109 .624 57-78 .731 1.1 0.9 2.0 2.6 6.6 9.3 1.5 17.5

And he has been playing some fantastic defense.

I know he won't get selected. But it's sad that Shaq, who gets similar numbers with less efficiency, and who doesn't even play one game out of every back to back, is in the conversation and Nene isn't. Booooo. :down:

Note taken with Nene, I completely forgot about him, its between Nene, Shaq, and Al Jefferson for the 5 spot, unless the coaches are smart enough to vote Pau as a Center and allow a more deserving Forward to get in.

Nene leads the league in TS% and eFG% and sports the superior offensive rating, so very few are as efficient as he on a per possession basis, but Shaq creates so many more plays and is actually the number 1 option when hes on the floor that the comparison is still very much close, and Shaq has only missed 7 games, I dont see that as an overly bad thing with the way hes dominating the paint again.

Its hard picking between them all, Nene plays the minutes, meets the team success requirements and even though Ive been disappointed with his defense this year hes still way better than Shaq and Jefferson. Shaq has the best numbers but if he were forced to play those extra games and minutes I have no doubt his level of play would suffer so I cant play the team doesnt need him to play the minutes card considering how packed the West is. What holds Nene (and the team) back is his lack of rebounding, then again if he could this wouldnt even be close. Al Jeffersons lack of team success really hurts him when the margin is this close, if the Twolves were even halfway decent I wouldve put him on.

DenButsu
01-26-2009, 06:05 AM
Just to be clear, I wasn't thumbs-downing Shaq, I was thumbs-downing the disparity between the lavish attention paid to Shaq and the total lack of attention paid to Nene, when their statistical production is quite similar. Nothing against Shaq, just against the hype- and star- oriented media machine.

About the rebounding: I agree, pretty much. Although in Denver's (and Nene's) defense I would say this:

For a squad that overall was very lazy about rebounding since they essentially could completely relinquish the task to Camby for so many years, they've done a respectable job of figuring out how to get the job done themselves since he's no longer around. In fact, they're now 13th in the league (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats?sort=rr&seasonType=2&league=nba&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fteamstats%3fsort%3drr%26seasonType% 3d2%26league%3dnba) in rebounding rate (whereas earlier in the season I believe they'd dropped into the 20s), and I think you'll appreciate how this shows how they're becoming more effective (http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/443/nuggetsandopponentsrebozm9.png) in controlling the glass.

In addition, I think Melo's absence - since he's the team's 2nd leading rebounder after Nene - will ultimately have a positive impact on the team's rebounding. They've had to deal with picking up his slack during his injury, and especially Nene, the Birdman and J.R. Smith have done a very respectable job of pulling down more boards (K-Mart, not as much). In a similar sense to how Camby's departure kind of forces the team by default to play more honest defense, I think it also has forced them to make a more honest team rebounding effort, and I think both of these things bode well for the postseason.

Chronz
01-26-2009, 06:36 AM
Just to be clear, I wasn't thumbs-downing Shaq, I was thumbs-downing the disparity between the lavish attention paid to Shaq and the total lack of attention paid to Nene, when their statistical production is quite similar. Nothing against Shaq, just against the hype- and star- oriented media machine.

About the rebounding: I agree, pretty much. Although in Denver's (and Nene's) defense I would say this:

For a squad that overall was very lazy about rebounding since they essentially could completely relinquish the task to Camby for so many years, they've done a respectable job of figuring out how to get the job done themselves since he's no longer around. In fact, they're now 13th in the league (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats?sort=rr&seasonType=2&league=nba&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fteamstats%3fsort%3drr%26seasonType% 3d2%26league%3dnba) in rebounding rate (whereas earlier in the season I believe they'd dropped into the 20s), and I think you'll appreciate how this shows how they're becoming more effective (http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/443/nuggetsandopponentsrebozm9.png) in controlling the glass.

In addition, I think Melo's absence - since he's the team's 2nd leading rebounder after Nene - will ultimately have a positive impact on the team's rebounding. They've had to deal with picking up his slack during his injury, and especially Nene, the Birdman and J.R. Smith have done a very respectable job of pulling down more boards (K-Mart, not as much). In a similar sense to how Camby's departure kind of forces the team by default to play more honest defense, I think it also has forced them to make a more honest team rebounding effort, and I think both of these things bode well for the postseason.

Odd how a team that ranks 17th in Offensive Rebound Rate and 18th Defensively could rank 13th Id say you guys are about average, but it does show improvement from when I last glanced at the numbers. Anderson and Balkman are definitely filling that void, easily the 2 of more underrated pickups this year along with Wafer. As for the playoffs, all I keep hearing is about their lack of bigs. This year could all depend on matchups.

DenButsu
01-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Yeah, from below average to average is about the size of it. Still, it's movement in the right direction (improvement). Kleiza got 9 and Anthony Carter got 8 rebounds (4 offensive each) against the Jazz, which made me fall out of my chair.