PDA

View Full Version : Ellis to make return to Warriors Friday vs. Cavs

dre1990
01-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Monta Ellis will be in uniform for the Golden State Warriors on Friday night for the first time this season when they host the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The Warriors (13-30) decided after Thursday's practice to welcome back Ellis, who has missed the entire season while recovering from a sprained left ankle sustained five months ago in an accident on a motorized scooter.

Ellis has been back at practice for two weeks with the Warriors, who suspended him for 30 games without pay after the incident. The high-scoring guard got a six-year, $66 million contract extension about one month before crashing his scooter.

"I'm really happy, excited and looking forward to tomorrow," said Ellis, who also closed a deal to buy a new house Thursday.

"We decided as a group after practice that Friday's game would be a good situation for me," Ellis said in a statement released by the team. "I have worked extremely hard during my rehabilitation, with the help of the Warriors' staff, and feel that I'm ready to go. It's just nice to get back to the game that I love and to play for the fans who have been so good to me. I'm really pumped. It's a great day."

Ellis averaged career bests of 20.2 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.4 assists last season while emerging as a dependable shooter for the NBA's highest-scoring club. The former second-round draft pick out of high school in Jackson, Miss., was expected to be the centerpiece of Golden State's offense after Baron Davis' defection to the Clippers, but his injury was a big factor in the Warriors' dismal first half of the season.

Golden State has decided not to void the remainder of Ellis' big contract, even though Ellis' scooter misadventure was a violation of the deal. Ellis initially told the Warriors he injured himself playing hoops, but changed his story a few days later.

Coach Don Nelson and top basketball executive Chris Mullin didn't even want to suspend Ellis for his misdeed, but team president Robert Rowell and owner Chris Cohan chose the suspension as an appropriate punishment. Now Nelson must decide how to use a player who thrived in his uptempo schemes over the past two seasons, but has never been the No. 1 option on an NBA club.

Ellis could be paired in the Warriors' starting lineup with Jamal Crawford, another smallish shooting guard. Crawford was acquired from New York early in the season to fill Ellis' absence.

Ellis returns to a team that has been competitive most nights, but not tough enough defensively to beat the league's best -- and the Warriors also have been plagued by injuries to newcomer Corey Maggette and Stephen Jackson. Brandan Wright, Marco Belinelli and Andris Biedrins all missed Wednesday night's embarrassing loss to Oklahoma City with injuries.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/01/22/ellis.returning.ap/index.html

dre1990
01-22-2009, 11:52 PM
lets see if he'll play

jsand3030
01-23-2009, 12:06 AM
I hope he knows how to play defense

sacgiants1213
01-23-2009, 12:11 AM
the w's already average the 2nd most ppg, their trouble is defensive end/rebounding. i guess this means the end or at least reduced playing time for bukie.

BarryIsInnocent
01-23-2009, 12:30 AM
nelson said hell get 20 2 25 minutes in his first game

jehovah joe
01-23-2009, 12:38 AM
its never a bad thing when your best player is back in the lineup

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-23-2009, 12:56 AM
I know Jamal Crawford has been playin the 1 for the W's since he's been there, and over the summer the question was could Ellis play the 1? so what happens now?

Crawford
Ellis
Jackson
Maggette
Beidrins
?

Lincoln Logs
01-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Monta will be the 1 when he is in, Crawford/Belinelli when he is out. Otherwise, crawford/beli will be the 2. Its nice to have 2 good ball handlers and good shooters in the backcourt in Monta/Crawford, but it will be the worst defense backcourt in HISTORY. Good thing Marco's stepped up his defense recently, hopefully he gets back soon to. Watching him and the other young guys develop is the only reason why its still fun to watch the warriors.

DenButsu
01-23-2009, 01:02 AM
That's some pretty good timing, but I wonder if he's actually ready to be effective yet or not. Guess we'll find out.

thrilla11
01-23-2009, 02:25 AM
Im excited to see him play. The NBA is a better place with Monta.

GoatMilk
01-23-2009, 04:27 AM
i dont think anyone has seen him since last season huh? then most of you are in for a little suprise
I just want to be the first to say he's changed his look.
Like Allen Iverson change if you catch my drift.

DenButsu
01-23-2009, 04:58 AM
i dont think anyone has seen him since last season huh? then most of you are in for a little suprise
I just want to be the first to say he's changed his look.
Like Allen Iverson change if you catch my drift.

He got shorter?

GoatMilk
01-23-2009, 05:03 AM
lol no
hate to be a spoiler but...
http://i37.tinypic.com/2lxzbfd.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/34rhzeg.jpg

PutMeInCoach
01-23-2009, 05:30 AM
its never a bad thing when your best player is back in the lineup

explain that to the kings when cwebb came back...

_Sn1P3r_
01-23-2009, 01:18 PM
That should be fun. I wanted to see how he was gonna play the point.

prodigy
01-23-2009, 01:20 PM
not sure why he thinks this is a good game for him to come back in. The cavs are only the best defensive team in the NBA.

Cavs just start lebron on ellis just to piss him off. lol.

Havoc Wreaker
01-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Good, My fantasy team is waiting and in DESPERATE need of him so he better get back to his old shape....QUICK :p

sacgiants1213
01-23-2009, 02:27 PM
i just wonder how his injury will effect him. i wonder if he'll still be streaking past the defense.. i mean that injury was serious so who knows how much bounce he'll have in his step.