PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies Fire Coach Iavaroni

droalex
01-22-2009, 11:25 PM
A source tells TNT's David Aldridge that the Memphis Grizzlies have fired head coach Marc Iavaroni. Assistant coach Johnny Davis will take over the team on an interim basis, the source said.

The Grizzlies are currently on a seven game losing streak with an 11-30 record and ranked 12th in the Western Conference.

Iavaroni is a 17-year veteran of the NBA as both a player and coach, Marc Iavaroni was hired as the head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies on May 31, 2007. For Iavaroni, this was his first head coaching position in the league.

Prior to joining the Grizzlies Iavaroni spent the previous five seasons with the Phoenix Suns, during which time they made four trips to the NBA Playoffs, including two appearances in the Western Conference Finals. Over the course of the five seasons Iavaroni spent with the Suns, the team compiled an impressive regular season record of 250-160 (.610).

Interim head coach Davis has over 30 years of NBA experience. He was head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers for the the 1996-97 campaign (22-60) before joining the Grizzlies as an assistant coach.

Iavaroni's firing makes him the seventh NBA head coach to be fired this season. Reggie Theus, Sam Mitchell, Maurice Cheeks, Eddie Jordan, Randy Wittman and P.J. Carlesimo were also let go by their organizations.

=o

bostncelts34
01-22-2009, 11:27 PM
who cares? lol.

stevefrancis
01-22-2009, 11:34 PM
why fire him not like they were expected to even make a run for the 14th spot in the west.

Sport
01-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Not suprised, really.

lakers4sho
01-22-2009, 11:43 PM
man, that sucks.

sacgiants1213
01-22-2009, 11:47 PM
management just places way too high expectations on the teams. the grizz weren't expected to do nothing and i'm even surprised they have more wins than us right now. i'm sure iavaroni will find an asst job somewhere.

I Am Awesome-O
01-22-2009, 11:54 PM
What people don't understand is that management didn't expect Iavaroni to win a lot of games this season; they expected improvement. They sure as hell didn't get that.

Players stopped respecting Iavaroni- Rudy Gay could always be seen rolling his eyes at Ivy. Almost every player on this Grizzlies roster has also taken a step back from last year, especially Gay and Conley. I don't care about the Grizzlies winning at this point, but Conley and Gay were supposed to make huge strides this year, and neither of them did.

It was a very good move firing Iavaroni. We need a veteran coach who can discipline our young players. A guy like Eddie Jordan is a very realistic option. He is a veteran coach who is definately an upgrade over Ivy. I would love to get someone like Flip Saunders, but I just don't see him accepting this position.

mzgrizz
01-23-2009, 12:12 AM
How about Avery?

mzgrizz
01-23-2009, 12:16 AM
why fire him not like they were expected to even make a run for the 14th spot in the west.

To improve our team(sound familiar?)
To get players to improve individually
To inspire hard work and get results
To win respect from your players
ETC........

Bg7getclutch
01-23-2009, 12:29 AM
who cares about the grizzlies.

mzgrizz
01-23-2009, 12:34 AM
who cares about the grizzlies.

Probably the same people who cared about Da Bulls a couple of years ago:rolleyes:

Afridi786
01-23-2009, 12:43 AM
lol u wish that many people cared about the grizzlies.

Add Vinny Del Negro to the list pretty soon.

mzgrizz
01-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Yes, I do wish we had that many. I'd be happy with a consistent 75% of the Memphis Tigers' fans!!!!!

Mr.Grizzly
01-23-2009, 01:05 AM
So sad. I just hope that firing Ivy fixed a problem whatever it is, if not then WTH!

Bring back HUBIE!!!!

BrizzleBear
01-23-2009, 01:09 AM
Probably the same people who cared about Da Bulls a couple of years ago:rolleyes:

Huh?

Hellcrooner
01-23-2009, 04:40 AM
IT was time, hope they get a hard nosed coach thats able to Take Gay and tell him straight that he NO LONGER is the star , Oj is and that such a thing as Passing the ball exist and that if he does not do it he goes to the bench.

I also hope he realizes that MIlicic CAN play Pf alongside Marc theres no need for sharign minutes thay can play togheter.

superkegger
01-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Not surprising.

_Sn1P3r_
01-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Yup. ^

BluejaysFan08
01-23-2009, 01:23 PM
This is a young team i dont get how they expect to develop any chemistry between players and coaches when they fire them everyyear, stick with one no matter what there record is

Tigers21
01-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Great move on the part of the Grizz. They need to get a coach who will make them play with energy for 4 quarters. With one of the, if not the, youngest teams in the entire NBA there is no excuse for lazy play besides coaching. Gay should be entering his all-star years but nobody is motivating him to do so

JAZZNC
01-23-2009, 01:45 PM
^You ever stop to think that maybe he's just not that kind of player? They said that kind of stuff about him coming out of college, that he had the skill but not the self motivation to be a good/great basketball player. He's just content with getting paid, getting stats (albeit scoring stats and nothing else) and that's it. I don't know how you expect any coach to coach those guys, Mayo and Gay are the same type of player, shooters and kinda ball hogs, they have no PG and no post play at all. Now exactly how are they supposed to win games again...in the West??

Hellcrooner
01-23-2009, 02:27 PM
disagree, yes mayo hogs the boll a bit, but he also looks for the pass every now and then and he only forces the shot half of the times, gay forces the shot ALWAYS no matter how hard is he covered or how bad positioned he is, its ugly to watch, believe me here in spain we get a lot of Grizzlies ( and raptros, blazers, lakers) games.

Also Oj is a hard worker , Marc gasol ( a hardworker himself) has recognised it.

I think they should trade Gay while he still has a decent value, he will pull a Gordon anyway take the qualifying year and then be Unrestricted.

Hellcrooner
01-23-2009, 02:29 PM
And about post play, they HAVE post play, Marc Gasol and Milicic are a Hell of a defensive combo and Marc has some nive moves to score inside, he just needs some more touches, he is averaging like 12 points when he only gets like 4 or 5 attempts per game regulary. Feed him the ball 12 times everyday and he will get you 15 ppg.

sacgiants1213
01-23-2009, 02:57 PM
avery johnson turned down a 5 year offer from memphis according to espn.com

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3855045)