PDA

View Full Version : Crosby to Miss the All-Star Game

SidTheKid
01-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Crosby Penguins center Sidney Crosby will miss this weekend’s NHL All-Star Game and Superskills competition because of a knee injury.

“That was the advice of the medical staff,” Penguins General Manager Ray Shero said. “Their recommendation was to take four or five days off and let the injury heal and go from there. I’m not advising anyone to go against the advice of medical staff.

“I know Sidney is disappointed for sure. But that’s where we are with the injury.”

Crosby injured his knee Jan. 14 against the Washington Capitals. He missed the team’s following game but returned to play against the New York Rangers Jan. 18 and Carolina Hurricanes Jan. 20 before the All-Star break.

“We met with Sid and Dr. (Charles) Burke after the Carolina game and it was pretty clear the he was more sore than he was after the Rangers game,” Shero said. “Dr. Burke said the more stress and strain he puts on it, the worse it will get. His recommendation was to give it time off and get 100 percent. That’s his advice, opinion and recommendation and the organization supports that.”

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=405884

Rather be safe then sorry that's for sure.

joba2007
01-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Bravo! Let Sid heal. Although, it must be pretty bad if Sid is agreeing to sit out. Hopefully, it isn't the kind of injury that plagues Sid throughout the season :pray:

ShaunRiching9
01-23-2009, 08:42 AM
man i hpe this works for him i feel bad for him hes missed out on being a start in the all star game 2 years in a row now

slyguy7
01-23-2009, 08:49 AM
we dnt want him to become the next gabby with all the injuries

SidTheKid
01-23-2009, 11:10 AM
we dnt want him to become the next gabby with all the injuries

Very true.

dmb
01-23-2009, 02:01 PM
It's just an All-Star game, not a playoff game, so let him sit it out

SidTheKid
01-23-2009, 02:04 PM
It's just an All-Star game, not a playoff game, so let him sit it out

Yeah but I think everyone was excited to see him and Malkin playing together in the game but I'd rather not take any chances.

SidTheKid
01-24-2009, 11:03 AM
MONTREAL -- For the second occasion in his lifetime, Penguins center Sidney Crosby will miss an All-Star Game in Montreal - the city he grew up cheering for as a youth.

A knee injury is forcing him to miss this weekend’s NHL SuperSkills competition on Saturday and the All-Star Game on Sunday in Montreal. But Crosby also missed the 2005 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League All-Star Game, also played in Montreal, with an ankle injury.

“I think it’s an unfortunate situation,” Crosby said. “I remember playing in Junior and I missed the one in Junior. I remember watching that game hoping that I’d be able to play in the NHL (in Montreal) one day. I was fortunate enough to do that and had another chance to play in another All-Star Game too. Not being able to be a part of that is tough to take. I’m getting the second-best thing. I’m here and I’m going to experience it and enjoy it as much as I can as if I were playing.”

"In an event like this you obviously want the top players to play, it’s the All-Star Game," New York Rangers netminder Henrik Lundqvist said. "There’s nothing you can do. If you’re hurt, you’re hurt. I think he’s the guy that is most disappointed. I think he really wanted to play. He needs to recover."

Crosby, who missed last year's All-Star Game with a high ankle sprain, will not take part in any on-ice situations, heeding the advice of the Penguins’ doctors to allow his knee to rest over the next five days. However, he will still try to be a part of the All-Star event.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=405992&page=NewsPage&service=page

Sbank
01-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Who cares if he misses the all star game. Honestly we need him healthy since, we can make a run to make the playoffs. If he was healthy it be a different story.

jzelenda
01-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Who cares if he misses the all star game. Honestly we need him healthy since, we can make a run to make the playoffs. If he was healthy it be a different story.

Exactly.

Can you believe Bettman is fining superstars that don't play?! Sid called him today and even held a press conference about it and why he can't play. He actually had to explain why he played 2 games hurt and why he won't play this weekend. I can imagine it sounded like this:

Crosby: "Hey, Bettman, I'm not playing, I'm hurting and I need the 5 days off."

Bettman: "But we've sunk so much money into making you the face and name of hockey, you will be there, and you will play, because you missed last year as well."

Crosby: "Ok, chump, I'll play, hurt my knee more, spend 6 weeks on the IR list, and hurt your precious, brainless attempts to spread hockey to regions that could care less about it. So I get these days off with reprocustions and you suck it up and realized there's more talent in the NHL besides me, or else I'll tell you to sit and spin anytime you want something from me, got it sucka?"

Bettman: " Yes, sir"

Crosby: "Stop mucking up the game you dillhole."

end conversation.

or at least that's how it went in my warped mind...