PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 Prospects

smarkow
01-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Just finished reading (or scrolling) through ESPN's list of the top 100 MLB prospects....

The Tigers have 1 in the top 100. ONE!!! Rick Porcello at #10.

Now, i know these rankings don't always pan out, but that is pretty bad. I know we've traded away a lot of our young talent too, but still, only having one person in the top 100 is not good...

Sheffies Chef
01-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Who else should be in there?

We have no Top 100 prospects besides Porcello and Possibly Perry.

That's it. We have no other flashy, elite prospects. And that's what a Top Prospect list is, a list of the elite.

What the Tigers have in guys like Sizemore, Iorg, Darrow, Fien, Jacobsen, Green, Marte, Figaro, Wells, Ramirez, and others are decent prospects that may or may not make it. The Top 100 list is for the guys who are about as guaranteed as possible to make it.

mark1125
01-22-2009, 10:04 PM
It's a shame with all those years of good draft position that we couldn't be in better shape.

Poor scouting/drafting + bad trades = 1 out of 100.

Sam_Quentin
01-22-2009, 11:44 PM
It's a shame with all those years of good draft position that we couldn't be in better shape.

Poor scouting/drafting + bad trades = 1 out of 100.

What are you talking about...you do realize the scouting and drafting is what allowed the Tigers to make the big moves that they have made the past couple seasons? This isnt about whether those moves ulimately pan out or not. The trades are what has taken so much from the farm...it takes time to build it back up.

You want poor go check back to the Randy Smith era my friend...now that is the definition of poor.

mark1125
01-23-2009, 12:03 AM
What are you talking about...you do realize the scouting and drafting is what allowed the Tigers to make the big moves that they have made the past couple seasons? This isnt about whether those moves ulimately pan out or not. The trades are what has taken so much from the farm...it takes time to build it back up.

You want poor go check back to the Randy Smith era my friend...now that is the definition of poor.

I was reffering to the current and not so distant past so Randy Smith is encompassed in that as well. We had a long stretch of horrendous drafting, and also some deals that cleaned out the farm. Combine that and that is why we have what we have and others have what they have. Their drafts havce been better as of late, but there is no denying that there has been many more busts than successes. I think Iorg may turn into something special and I also think Wilikin Ramirez may develop into a good player.

I still think that with the many years of high picks, they should be in a much better place.

Epic89
01-23-2009, 03:35 AM
No surprises there, don't know why anyone would be surprised. The farm system is pathetically barren; no future impact players outside of Porcello.

Bondomania
01-23-2009, 12:12 PM
i know a lot of peope don't agree with Keith Law. ESPN really doesn't do that great of a job with minor league coverage and it really isn't the best source for top 100 prospects. If anything baseball america would be the best source for it. Or scout.com would be another great source for prospect rankings.

Yes, We Deliver
01-23-2009, 01:20 PM
It always seems that Detroit only gets 1 or 2 to crack the list every season so this doesn't suprise me at all. Go back and read the lists from years ago and see how many players never had a good career. It's not a big deal.