PDA

View Full Version : Amare overtook Melo in allstar voting

JordansBulls
01-22-2009, 06:37 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/01/21/20090121sunsnb0122.html

NEW YORK - Suns star Amaré Stoudemire rallied to a personal victory this week, passing Denver's Carmelo Anthony in fan voting to earn his first start in an NBA All-Star Game.

Stoudemire edged Anthony for the second forward spot alongside San Antonio's Tim Duncan and Houston's Yao Ming in the Western Conference frontcourt for the Feb. 15 game in Phoenix. The official announcement of the All-Star starters will be at 5 tonight on TNT's pregame show.

Not sure if Melo makes the team now with his injury.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-22-2009, 06:46 PM
lol who'll start at SF

YankeeFan89
01-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I don't think Carmelo would have played...because of his injury.

Amare prbly playing SF lol

_Sn1P3r_
01-22-2009, 07:32 PM
That is a big frontline. But yeah, it's doubtful Melo will play in the all-star game 'cause of his injury.

JayW_1023
01-22-2009, 07:57 PM
I think Dirk deserves it more.

Lakers4ItAll
01-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Melo didn't deserve to make it anyways

viictoor
01-22-2009, 08:11 PM
dirk have been deserving a start in the all star game since like 5 - 6 years ago, but the people still votting for duncan, dirk always have better numbers...

leftie5
01-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Even as a Suns fan, I don't think Amar'e should be starting especially with his struggles lately. Then again, there is usually players every year who shouldn't be starting like T-Mac. I voted like this.

West

G- CP3
G- Kobe
F- Dirk
F- Duncan
C- Yao

East

G- Devin Harris
G- D Wade
F- LeBron
F- Bosh (chose him over KG)
C- Dwight

what54!?
01-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Good for amare

JayW_1023
01-22-2009, 08:18 PM
dirk have been deserving a start in the all star game since like 5 - 6 years ago, but the people still votting for duncan, dirk always have better numbers...

Dirk deserves to start, but not at Duncans expense. For the past years Duncans game as been the pinnacle of big man excellence. It shows that even though he isn't the most glamourous player he still gets voted as starter every year. To quote Richard Dreyfuss in Close Encounters, this means something.

Numbers shmumbers...Duncan is a champion that makes an impact on both ends and while he may not score as much as Dirk...he is the more efficient player.

QUICKTRADE
01-22-2009, 08:21 PM
good for him and perhaps he could increase his 3 pts score to 4 pts.

JordansBulls
01-22-2009, 08:46 PM
lol who'll start at SF

It doesn't matter. They just start two forwards.

theimortalone
01-22-2009, 09:29 PM
I was beyond shocked! :speechless: Amar'e with the way he has played lately does not deserve to start next to Duncan. Amar'e is one of the most overrated players in the NBA! :( I miss the old Amar'e Stoudemire!

Chronz
01-22-2009, 09:34 PM
I love when players get voted in but cant play, it allows the league to recognize more players like Brand a few years back.

And Yea Dirk shouldve made it, and Duncan shoudve made the Center slot allowing Melo or Amare to make it anyways.

DitchDat
01-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Ama're is washed up

IBleedPurple
01-22-2009, 11:05 PM

Ignorant. He is playing his best ball ever. He isn't scoring as much, but for the first time he is a team player, and actually making a strong defensive effort.

DenButsu
01-22-2009, 11:11 PM

Okay, hater. :rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------

It's really no surprise that voting for Melo dropped off after he broke his hand and dropped off the daily score headlines. Actually Amare had started off ahead and then Melo passed him by and was (I assume) on trajectory to be voted in until he was injured.

I'd just as soon he didn't actually play because of his injury. But I think the coaches will probably select him as a reserve. And if you don't think he deserves it, then you haven't seen the Nuggets (both with and without Melo) this season, and you've failed to take note of the improvements Melo has made this season.

3 Nuggets are All-Star Worthy: Billups, Melo, and Nene. I seriously doubt Nene will be named by the coaches, but it's a crime his name wasn't even on the ballot.

--------------------

edit - in related news:

Nuggets' Anthony not named All-Star starter, but returns to practice court

...Anthony spent about a half hour shooting jump shots and working on his ball-handling at the team’s practice court.

The workout was Anthony’s first since breaking a bone in his right (shooting) hand on Jan. 5.

"It’s feeling a lot better," he said. "I was surprised to be able to go out there and do what I did today. It’s just motivation now."

Though X-rays taken Thursday showed that the bone is healing quicker than expected, Anthony still is targeting next Friday’s game against Charlotte for his return.

"I’m still looking at the 30th," he said. "I don’t want to try to push it."drmn (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/22/nuggets-melo-misses-out-all-star-starting-spot/?partner=RSS)

toronto_JazzFan
01-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Carmelo = Next tracy Mc Grady never getting a ring unless he pulls off a Garnett, ray allen, paul pierce

JordansBulls
01-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Carmelo = Next tracy Mc Grady never getting a ring unless he pulls off a Garnett, ray allen, paul pierce

How so?