PDA

View Full Version : Maggette, Brandan Wright and Marcus Williams could be had.

garlicboy
01-22-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't want to ship Maggette to the Cavs, he's been fitting in nicely with the Warriors but there really is no need for 8 swing men: Jamal, Monta, Jackson, Buike, Belinelli, Morrow, Watson and Maggette. With Monta and Belinelli come back it's back to the bench for Watson and Morrow and decreased minutes for everyone.

The Cavs are a team in need of another slashing scorer, a big man and a back-up PG. The need is not dire, but if these needs are not met the Cavs run the ultimate risk of losing an NBA championship because they didn't have the missing pieces. Unfortunately, the only way to attain these players is through the draft, free agency or a trade. The way I see it, the best solution for them to obtain their players is through a trade.

1.) Draft wise: it takes luck to draft the right player and time to develop them. They have 1 1/2 years to show build Lebron a championship team. That's not happening in the 2 remaining drafts before 2010.

2.) Free Agency: This is a KEY factor. The Cavs are over the luxury tax which means they can only sign a player to MLE which is roughly $6 million too little to sign a top notch free agent. Even in 2009 with your expiring contracts, your expiring contracts are not helpful expiring contracts in the sense that your so far over the luxury tax that you'd still be over the salary cap.

3.) Trade: If the Cavs want to fill their holes immediately and obtain proven players, the only way to do that is through a trade.

Two possible trades to fill their needs:
1.) Maggette for Snow and a 2nd rounder.
2.) Maggette, Wright and Marcus Williams for Wally, 2009 1st round pick and 2011 lotto protected first round pick.

Warrior fans may groan, getting rid of Wright, but as a Warrior fan I'd rather keep Randolph and let him keep the sparse minutes that he gets. What would this do for the Warriors team?
1.) Shed the long term contract of Maggette.
2.) Give us 2 1st round picks.
3.) Clear up $12 million in cap space this summer.

The negatives for Warriors fans
1.) Getting rid of Wright
2.) Getting rid of Wright
3.) Getting rid of Maggette
4.) Getting rid of Maggette
*Lots of fans are excited by how the team is meshing, but we have SOOOO many guards who can score. Nobody who can draw a foul like him, but we have 3 of the top 5 best 3 pt shooters in the NBA: Morrow, Azubuike and CJ.

Why should the Cavs do this?
1.) They get a TRUE 2nd option in Corey Maggette, and a heck of a player. 20 pts 6 rebs, 9 trips to the FT line a game at 85% FT%.
2.) They get a young PF in Wright who they can team with JJ Hickson and develop as their front line of the future. Wright does Wright birng to the table; offense(post & mid-range), shot blocking and a running big man. A perfect compliment to Anderson Varejao.
3.) They get an underrated pass-first PG in Marcus Williams who would DEFINITELY take the pressure off of Lebron to handle and initiate the offense. He doesn't play in GS because we have CJ who can bomb 3's. (Quite a few fans feel he can help the team.)
4.) MANAGEMENT SAVES $$$, roughly $2-4 million. As the Cavs are over the cap, they pay a dollar for dollar tax. Sending out Wally and getting Maggette, Wright and Williams saves money. With $4 million savings, they could buy a late round first round pick if they really wanted to.

What's the risk of trading for Maggette and Wright?
1.) The picks, although the picks would most likely be late round picks: 2009 28th overall, 2011 can be top 10 protected, depends on if Lebron comes back, how much Wright and Hickson develop, and who they sign in 2010 free agency.
2.) Is Maggette a risk? Other than some games missed due to injury, nothing. He has actually increased his rebounding average to 6+ this year.
3.) Wright has showed he can play and he still has a bunch of upside, no risk here. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brandan_wright/

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
01-22-2009, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't mind it as a Cavalier fan I did have Wright on my sights. We need young big men like him. He is solid as it is. It helps us build potential in that area of our team. Andy could be our future C, but what if Hickson is really only backup quality as a PF. That's where having Wright in there, he gives us more of what in 2 years we may need a lot of.

I think Hickson could continue to get some minutes this season as well. I really don't care about getting Maggete I think he would have to accept a bench role even though his skills are of a starter. Again though he could still manage probably 30min off the bench. At this point he would be instant help to our banged up team.

dwiduck
01-22-2009, 09:03 PM
I don't want to ship Maggette to the Cavs, he's been fitting in nicely with the Warriors but there really is no need for 8 swing men: Jamal, Monta, Jackson, Buike, Belinelli, Morrow, Watson and Maggette. With Monta and Belinelli come back it's back to the bench for Watson and Morrow and decreased minutes for everyone.

The Cavs are a team in need of another slashing scorer, a big man and a back-up PG. The need is not dire, but if these needs are not met the Cavs run the ultimate risk of losing an NBA championship because they didn't have the missing pieces. Unfortunately, the only way to attain these players is through the draft, free agency or a trade. The way I see it, the best solution for them to obtain their players is through a trade.

1.) Draft wise: it takes luck to draft the right player and time to develop them. They have 1 1/2 years to show build Lebron a championship team. That's not happening in the 2 remaining drafts before 2010.

2.) Free Agency: This is a KEY factor. The Cavs are over the luxury tax which means they can only sign a player to MLE which is roughly $6 million too little to sign a top notch free agent. Even in 2009 with your expiring contracts, your expiring contracts are not helpful expiring contracts in the sense that your so far over the luxury tax that you'd still be over the salary cap.

3.) Trade: If the Cavs want to fill their holes immediately and obtain proven players, the only way to do that is through a trade.

Two possible trades to fill their needs:
1.) Maggette for Snow and a 2nd rounder.
2.) Maggette, Wright and Marcus Williams for Wally, 2009 1st round pick and 2011 lotto protected first round pick.

Warrior fans may groan, getting rid of Wright, but as a Warrior fan I'd rather keep Randolph and let him keep the sparse minutes that he gets. What would this do for the Warriors team?
1.) Shed the long term contract of Maggette.
2.) Give us 2 1st round picks.
3.) Clear up $12 million in cap space this summer.

The negatives for Warriors fans
1.) Getting rid of Wright
2.) Getting rid of Wright
3.) Getting rid of Maggette
4.) Getting rid of Maggette
*Lots of fans are excited by how the team is meshing, but we have SOOOO many guards who can score. Nobody who can draw a foul like him, but we have 3 of the top 5 best 3 pt shooters in the NBA: Morrow, Azubuike and CJ.

Why should the Cavs do this?
1.) They get a TRUE 2nd option in Corey Maggette, and a heck of a player. 20 pts 6 rebs, 9 trips to the FT line a game at 85% FT%.
2.) They get a young PF in Wright who they can team with JJ Hickson and develop as their front line of the future. Wright does Wright birng to the table; offense(post & mid-range), shot blocking and a running big man. A perfect compliment to Anderson Varejao.
3.) They get an underrated pass-first PG in Marcus Williams who would DEFINITELY take the pressure off of Lebron to handle and initiate the offense. He doesn't play in GS because we have CJ who can bomb 3's. (Quite a few fans feel he can help the team.)
4.) MANAGEMENT SAVES $$$, roughly $2-4 million. As the Cavs are over the cap, they pay a dollar for dollar tax. Sending out Wally and getting Maggette, Wright and Williams saves money. With $4 million savings, they could buy a late round first round pick if they really wanted to.

What's the risk of trading for Maggette and Wright?
1.) The picks, although the picks would most likely be late round picks: 2009 28th overall, 2011 can be top 10 protected, depends on if Lebron comes back, how much Wright and Hickson develop, and who they sign in 2010 free agency.
2.) Is Maggette a risk? Other than some games missed due to injury, nothing. He has actually increased his rebounding average to 6+ this year.
3.) Wright has showed he can play and he still has a bunch of upside, no risk here. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brandan_wright/

I would rather get a defending swingman like Gerald Wallace, or a big man. Maggette doesn't really fit our needs

mitchkubacki
01-23-2009, 11:05 AM
im so sick of hearing about gerald wallace

garlicboy
01-23-2009, 02:04 PM
I would rather get a defending swingman like Gerald Wallace, or a big man. Maggette doesn't really fit our needs

Wallace? His not the offensive player Maggette is, nor is does he have the offensive intelligence. Definitely a better defensive player, but Maggette is no slouch and boards 6 a game.

If I were the Cavs, I'd do 2 trades, and you'd have not only a guaranteed contender/but possibly a favorite.
1.) TRADE 1: Maggette, Wright, Williams for Wally, a scrub(Kinsey to even out players going out) and 2009 1st rounder, 2011 1st rounder.
2.) TRADE 2: Camby, Chiekh Samb(Legit young 7' footer) for Eric Snow and Brandan Wright

This nets you: SG, PF/C, back-up PG and a young C.

Clips and Cavs trade makes sense for both teams. Clips already have DeAndre Jordan at Center, they would love to acquire a young PF like Brandan Wright to pair with him. Cavs have a young PF in Hickson, 7' Center Samb would be a nice pairing with Hickson. Camby is very available. Trade makes sense for all parties: Dubs and Clips: No playoffs= players available for picks/young players.
Cavs: title contenders: seeking big man= have to give up something, no young players/foreign players available, give up picks late round picks/young players acquired in trade.

x45x
01-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Wallace? His not the offensive player Maggette is, nor is does he have the offensive intelligence. Definitely a better defensive player, but Maggette is no slouch and boards 6 a game.

If I were the Cavs, I'd do 2 trades, and you'd have not only a guaranteed contender/but possibly a favorite.
1.) TRADE 1: Maggette, Wright, Williams for Wally, a scrub(Kinsey to even out players going out) and 2009 1st rounder, 2011 1st rounder.
2.) TRADE 2: Camby, Chiekh Samb(Legit young 7' footer) for Eric Snow and Brandan Wright

This nets you: SG, PF/C, back-up PG and a young C.

Clips and Cavs trade makes sense for both teams. Clips already have DeAndre Jordan at Center, they would love to acquire a young PF like Brandan Wright to pair with him. Cavs have a young PF in Hickson, 7' Center Samb would be a nice pairing with Hickson. Camby is very available. Trade makes sense for all parties: Dubs and Clips: No playoffs= players available for picks/young players.
Cavs: title contenders: seeking big man= have to give up something, no young players/foreign players available, give up picks late round picks/young players acquired in trade.

although possible, very unlikely, so please stop teasing me. Camby and Meggete, i wish. Ferry said many time snows not leaving. insurance kicks in soon. meaning 83 mil for the year, they re at 90 now.

garlicboy
01-23-2009, 06:52 PM
although possible, very unlikely, so please stop teasing me. Camby and Meggete, i wish. Ferry said many time snows not leaving. insurance kicks in soon. meaning 83 mil for the year, they re at 90 now.

Snow can be traded and is trading bait, othewise he'd have been off the books a long time ago.

I'm a Warrior fan, but I'm also a Lebron fan. It's refreshing to see a humble superstar, and players on the Cavs aren't punks. I like KG, but lately he's rubbed me the wrong way talking crap to PG's. Also don't like the Magic with Hedo, he used to kill the Dubs.

Kobe vs. Lebron in the Finals in 2009 and 2010 now that would be great to see. Ferry needs to work the phones.

I'm content with a Warrior dyansty from 2011-2014

GarlicStench
01-24-2009, 01:05 PM
After watching last nights game it is clear that other than Lebron there is NO players on the CAVS the Warriors. would want.

garlicboy
01-24-2009, 02:03 PM
After watching last nights game it is clear that other than Lebron there is NO players on the CAVS the Warriors. would want.

Which is why we get expiring contracts and draft picks.

1amLEGEND
01-26-2009, 03:31 AM
the cavs dont need a trade they just need to get healthy.

and you can forget about getting maggette or brandon wright unless your giving up varajao thats a given.

if anything the cavs should yank brad miller for wally that would be a perfect fit.

IndiansFan337
01-27-2009, 08:16 PM
You are desperate to get rid of Maggette's contract. The Cavs aren't interested in him. They are already pretty deep at every position. Unless they can acquire an All-Star SG or a good, young PF/C then I don't see them making a trade. And I don't see them taking on Maggette's remaining contract in order to get their hands on Wright.