PDA

View Full Version : Scott Boras messed up?

Joemoes
01-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Did Scott Boras make a huge mistake when having the Yankees sign Teixiera?
He lost any way of playing the market with Manny he could have used the Yankees to drive up Ramirez price or at least get him a guranteed 3rd year from Dodgers in some way while having the Yankees and Teixiera with a deal ready but keeping it tight lipped between Cash, Steinbrenners, him and Teix...
Because he knew that Boston would not be a player for Ramirez...I think he could have garnered a 3 year deal worth 65-70million from Dodgers if he played it correctly....But once Yanks signed Teix that took the Dodgers biggest competitor away...
he also made the mistake with Varitek by telling him to decline Arbitration....Why would you decline 10million when theres no way you'll even get a 2 year 10 million deal...His stock is at its lowest ever he should have accepted and tried to prove he can still be good offensively...The Red Sox are only team that have interest because no one wants to give up a draft pick for someone who may play 100 games and bat .240 10homers 50rbis

Tragedy
01-22-2009, 02:43 PM
I always thought the best place for Teixiera would be Boston. Not simply because I'm a Red Sox fan, but because going to the Angels means no Manny there (seems like he won't land there anyways), and going to the Yankees meant no Manny there, either. Obviously Manny is not a realistic target for Boston.

So with Tex in Boston, it allows Boras to play the Yankees vs. Dodgers vs. Angels for Manny. Right now, it's the Dodgers vs. No one for Manny's services.

It's not that he "messed up", because he went with the best contract for Tex, and I'm sure he'll still get Manny good money.

Run Gardner Run
01-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Yes, he did mess up. For Boras it would have been better to send Teixeira to Boston, where the Yankees would have NEEDED to pick someone up to counter, and Manny would have been it. The Yankees would have been forced to overpay for Manny, but would have done it anyway.

Boras did the smart thing with Lowe

Joemoes
01-22-2009, 02:50 PM
I felt he should have held off on Teix if the YAnkees is where he really wanted to be, he should have asked him if he could wait awhile so he could use the Yankees to play the market I think all whats left of talk with Manny to Yankees is just Boras trying to play whats left of the market...and he really screwed up with Varitek.

Tragedy
01-22-2009, 02:52 PM
I felt he should have held off on Teix if the YAnkees is where he really wanted to be, he should have asked him if he could wait awhile so he could use the Yankees to play the market I think all whats left of talk with Manny to Yankees is just Boras trying to play whats left of the market...and he really screwed up with Varitek.
I don't think the Yankees would be willing to play decoy for Scott to get Manny money.

misterd
01-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Yes, he did mess up. For Boras it would have been better to send Teixeira to Boston, where the Yankees would have NEEDED to pick someone up to counter, and Manny would have been it. The Yankees would have been forced to overpay for Manny, but would have done it anyway.

Boras did the smart thing with Lowe

Boras can't "send" anyone anywhere. He's the employee.

Tragedy
01-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Boras can't "send" anyone anywhere. He's the employee.
True, but Scott could still easily tell Mark "Listen, Boston is far and away the best location, they've got the best offer, best perks, best yadda yadda." The guy has made a career off of bluffing and lying, and I doubt he wouldn't lie to Mark to get what he wanted.

Joemoes
01-22-2009, 03:07 PM
I don't think the Yankees would be willing to play decoy for Scott to get Manny money.

Yea your right didn't think about that...maybe he should have just acted early with Manny because the Dodgers don't even have to offer him a two year deal because he has nothing on the table.

Tragedy
01-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Yea your right didn't think about that...maybe he should have just acted early with Manny because the Dodgers don't even have to offer him a two year deal because he has nothing on the table.
Yeah, if anything, Boras did a piss poor job with Ramirez. He overestimated the free agent market, believed he could land Ramirez a 6 year deal, and basically put down the Dodger's two year offer once Manny officially become a free agent.

I know he'll probably end up getting paid, but I've got to say, I love seeing Boras in a bind with Ramirez.

Like I've said, if I'm the Dodgers, I offer 2 years, $40 million - The same deal he ran away from in Boston. Tell him for every 7 days he does not accept, drop $1 million. What's the worst that happens? He goes somewhere else? Not the end of the world.

nyybronxborn
01-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Yeah, if anything, Boras did a piss poor job with Ramirez. He overestimated the free agent market, believed he could land Ramirez a 6 year deal, and basically put down the Dodger's two year offer once Manny officially become a free agent.

I know he'll probably end up getting paid, but I've got to say, I love seeing Boras in a bind with Ramirez.

Like I've said, if I'm the Dodgers, I offer 2 years, $40 million - The same deal he ran away from in Boston. Tell him for every 7 days he does not accept, drop $1 million. What's the worst that happens? He goes somewhere else? Not the end of the world.

i agree , manny a jerk who messed with the redsox until they got rid of him , i would love to see him get paid less then the money the redsox had on the table , but the yankee fan in me would also love to see him play there because , he a jerk and he would try to shove it down the redsox mouth everytime they face each other , but no more then a 2 year contract for him , i know he would try the samething on the yankees that he pulled on the soxs

S.P.
01-22-2009, 03:25 PM

That would make an angry Manny, and we know what an angry Manny does under contract.

Manny wants 4 years, Dodgers want 2. Split the difference and meet at 3, why is this so hard for them (both sides)? They can blame the economy. I don't think either side would be embarrassed, or feel like they "lost". It's a shame that a guy like Boras makes a contract signing feel like winning or losing.

davg31
01-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Tex wanted to play for the Yankees and sign before Xmas. Dont think theres really much Boras could do about that except get him a great deal out of it which he did

misterd
01-22-2009, 04:06 PM
True, but Scott could still easily tell Mark "Listen, Boston is far and away the best location, they've got the best offer, best perks, best yadda yadda." The guy has made a career off of bluffing and lying, and I doubt he wouldn't lie to Mark to get what he wanted.

I'm sure he did what arm twisting he could, but he can't do much when his client knows what they want and won't let themselves be pushed into making a choice that will help another client.

That Tex signed with the Yanks, a team he wanted to play for, in a depressed market for 8 years and a ****load of money is a sign Boras did his job well.

The problem with Manny is Manny. After the **** he pulled last year, any team should be cautious about what they are offering him.

djak
01-22-2009, 05:46 PM
He is not messed up i think Tex really wanted to go to the yankees and he accepted less money to play with them he is still the best agent in baseball

Tragedy
01-22-2009, 06:32 PM
He is not messed up i think Tex really wanted to go to the yankees and he accepted less money to play with them he is still the best agent in baseball
The point was not that he got Tex what he wanted.

And all signs point to the Yankees offer being the highest. Some smaller reports came in that they went $4 or $5 million below one of the worst teams in baseball (Nationals).

Tex certainly wanted to play for the Yankees, but the whole point of this thread was not just that.