PDA

View Full Version : Jay McGwire says Mark used Roids

vigilantex69
01-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Book proposal implicates McGwire
Comment Email Print
ESPN.com news services

A new book proposal, submitted by the admittedly estranged brother of Mark McGwire, claims the former major league slugger used both steroids and human growth hormone during his career.

In the proposal, first reported Wednesday on Deadspin.com, Jay McGwire alleges that Mark used Deca-Durabolin and that he introduced Mark to performance-enhancing drugs in 1994.

Deca-Durabolin helped with his joint problems and recovery, while growth hormone helped his strength, making him leaner in the process. I became the first person to inject him, like most first-timers he couldn't plunge in the needle himself. Later a girlfriend injected him.
-- Jay McGwire, talking about his brother Mark in reported book proposal

According to the report, Jay McGwire writes in his proposal that his brother "began to use, but in low dosages so he wouldn't lift his way out of baseball. Deca-Durabolin helped with his joint problems and recovery, while growth hormone helped his strength, making him leaner in the process. I became the first person to inject him, like most first-timers he couldn't plunge in the needle himself. Later a girlfriend injected him."

Jose Canseco, in a book he wrote in 2005, claims he and McGwire, former Oakland A's teammates, used performance-enhancing drugs as far back as 1988. Jay McGwire disputes that in the book proposal.

The McGwire brothers reportedly haven't spoken to each other for years.

The book, "The McGwire Family Secret: The Truth about Steroids, a Slugger and Ultimate Redemption," is reportedly being sent by Jay McGwire to several publishing houses in New York. Deadspin.com said that it has been turned down by "many" publishers.

Jay McGwire is a bodybuilder. He writes in the proposal that he took his brother to his supplier and trainer after a 1994 bodybuilding championship, which Jay won. He says McGwire started using performance-enhancing substances then.

Jay McGwire claims in the proposal that Mark McGwire used androstenedione in 1998 to allow Mark "to avoid all the potential adverse side effects that could occur from using anabolic steroids, such as water retention, hair loss, and liver, heart, or kidney stress. In addition, he wouldn't have cholesterol problems or testicular atrophy. And there were no problems with the law."

McGwire hit 70 home runs in the 1998 season, breaking Roger Maris' single-season record. It has since been eclipsed by Barry Bonds.

Jay McGwire, in the reported proposal, also says he wished his brother would have confessed at the famous congressional hearing, instead of saying he wasn't going to talk about the past. Jay McGwire also writes that he doesn't believe missing out on the Hall of Fame will affect his brother.

"Mark is a man I think most would like to forgive because his reason wasn't nefarious -- it was for survival," he wrote, according to the proposal. "My bringing the truth to surface about Mark is out of love. I want Mark to live in truth to see the light, to come to repentance so he can live in freedom -- which is the only way to live. "

The Deadspin.com report does not say if Mark McGwire has commented on the proposal. McGwire has been out of the public eye since retiring from the St. Louis Cardinals in 2001. He is now 45 years old.

What a day we live in that your own brother sells you out to try to make a buck. It says that they haven't spoken in awhile but still! Selling out your family to try to make some extra money? Come on! I could understand a starving reporter trying to dig up dirt but your brother?! Who needs enemies with a family like this!

redbird89
01-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Somebody else trying to make money writing a book.

DodgerBlue2008
01-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Somebody else trying to make money writing a book.

I already posted this, but do you not believe that McGwire used roids?

cambovenzi
01-22-2009, 01:08 PM
well ofcourse he used roids..

davg31
01-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Jerry McGwire used 'roids!? My God imagine drug testing sports agents now

Havoc Wreaker
01-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Wow.....This is a lower-than-dirt move.

Sport
01-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Oh for ****'s sake.

Is this **it ever gonna end?

Padres Son
01-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Tobey McGuire is on steroids?!??

sep11ie
01-22-2009, 01:27 PM
I bet him and Jose are ****ing

bosox3431
01-22-2009, 01:30 PM
asmuch as im against steroids. McGwire should get some kind of recognition for helping save baseball

DewsSox79
01-22-2009, 01:31 PM
really? mcgwire used roids...nah. there were 3 big time cheaters in that era and many more that werent on that level of mcgwire and company. this isnt news

DewsSox79
01-22-2009, 01:31 PM
asmuch as im against steroids. McGwire should get some kind of recognition for helping save baseball

no

DewsSox79
01-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Oh for ****'s sake.

Is this **it ever gonna end?

i know right.

Havoc Wreaker
01-22-2009, 01:37 PM
This guy deserves to be stinged to death my these (http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/japanese/hand.jpg) for trying to get money by "screwing" his brothers life

redbird89
01-22-2009, 02:17 PM
I already posted this, but do you not believe that McGwire used roids?

I think he probably did. Most everyone then probably did.

But I think his brother is still selling him out for cash.

La Russa invites McGwire to Spring Training every year. Steroids or not I wish McGwire would agree to it. He coaches Skip Schumaker and Matt Holliday in the offseason, I believe. As long as doesn't encourage the use of steroids by players, then I think he could help out coaching. Even with all that extra strength from PEDs, you gotta have some kind of skill or coordination to hit home runs.

Run Gardner Run
01-22-2009, 02:21 PM

Sadly, I agree. Him and Sosa double handedly saved the game of baseball

This guy deserves to be stinged to death my these (http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/japanese/hand.jpg) for trying to get money by "screwing" his brothers life

Stinged? lol. Stung

WickedBadMan
01-22-2009, 03:52 PM
McGuire seemed like an alright guy. My biggest problem like, Run & BoSox said, is that he could have stuck a needle in his *** on camera during the home run record chase and no one would have said ****.

Rather than lots of other guys who used after it was labeled as wrong/cheating. McGuire is still an idiot for his whole I'm not here to talk about the past presentation, and it's a good chunk of the reason why he's still connected to steroids.

Well apparently his brother is trying to "save his soul" or whatever so he is a saint. You would think that his brothers "religious revelation" would have him talking to Mark before writing and "saving" him.

jayl1377
01-22-2009, 03:59 PM
real nice brother...first he introduces mark to steroids and gets him hooked and now he sells his own brother out after the fact...what a scumbag...i guess family loyalty goes right down the toilet following the dollars

jayl1377
01-22-2009, 04:00 PM
I bet Jay Mcgwire is having Jose Canseco's *** as we speak

griffyatl
01-22-2009, 04:09 PM
You talk about scum??? Anyone who would throw out a family member for money, and this might turn out to be not even for money because everyone publisher is turning it down needs to have their @$$es handed to them and their heads cut off.

degnor
01-22-2009, 05:27 PM
loyalty fail

firecrotchboggs
01-22-2009, 05:51 PM
wow great brother, anything to make a buck......

papipapsmanny
01-22-2009, 07:09 PM
well finally these idiots cant say well he didnt use steroids. Why would he make this up? Mark ruined his own life not his brother coming out with this.

He did take roids wheter you people want to believe it or not. this is why i hate tony larussa he clearly knew all of this was going on, look at how many players that he managed have been linked to roids and that stuff.

And i cant say they saved baseball, baseball was about to go on a uprise regardless of what these players did, just coming off the strike people were going to comeback, especially with the internet sites and blogs and all of that. To me sosa and bonds and marky mark ruined baseball, which we are recoverying from now.

At least we have a sense that not many are cheating anymore

redbird89
01-22-2009, 07:14 PM
I don't think La Russa necessarily introduced players to steroids. I think he knew about it. What was he supposed to do? Tell? Then his players would never trust him again. I would guess with steroids, as with any illegal or taboo thing, there's a code of silence. Very few people appear willing to break that code of silence.

Havoc Wreaker
01-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Stinged? lol. Stung

Whoops, Non-Native Speaker Spurts :laugh2:

bronxbombers427
01-22-2009, 08:07 PM
great brother this guy is

beantownboy
01-22-2009, 08:20 PM
what a scum bag. apparently hes writing a book about it too. the guy obviously has money issues and is trying to get paid off of two timing his own brother. going to espn and talking about it is exactly what canseco did which was a great marketing scheme to make more people buy his book. what a scum bag.

HOZ THE KNICK
01-22-2009, 08:54 PM
he's probally hating on mark because he won't give him no money...lol

Old Sweater
01-23-2009, 03:25 AM
he's probally hating on mark because he won't give him no money...lol

First thought that came to me.

Little brother is a Dick.

Dmac
01-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Sadly, I agree. Him and Sosa double handedly saved the game of baseball

Stinged? lol. Stung

I wish people would stop saying this. They didn't "save" baseball. The game would have been fine without them. Yes attendance and ratings were down after the strike, and it went back up again with the homerun chase, but it's not like baseball would have went away if there was never a Sosa or Mcgwire 1998 season.

Fans forgive and forget. They would have came back eventually, it just happened a few years sooner than it would have. The only thing 1998 "saved" was millions in the pockets of the owners.

blacknell
01-23-2009, 08:14 PM
who cares about roids i take roids right now and i couldn't hit a ball out the park but i could punch someones out out of their head

La11
01-24-2009, 02:12 AM
your kidding right? Mcguire looked all natural to me

NyYaNkEeS 91
01-24-2009, 05:19 PM
he claims hes helping his bro mark...i dont see this helping one bit

chicagocubsfan
01-24-2009, 05:46 PM
No way

floyd!!
01-24-2009, 06:44 PM
jay mcgwire's a ****ing ****. he should keep his mouth shut.

can we move on from this steroid ****? there were probably a ton of players who took them because they could. let's just make sure it doesnt happen again and forget the past. what a ****ing drag!

yaktheripper
01-24-2009, 07:24 PM
"Mark is a man I think most would like to forgive because his reason wasn't nefarious -- it was for survival," he wrote, according to the proposal. "My bringing the truth to surface about Mark is out of love. I want Mark to live in truth to see the light, to come to repentance so he can live in freedom -- which is the only way to live. "

Jesus, what a douche.