PDA

View Full Version : Is Dick Vitale the Worst Announcer on ESPN

homestarunner93
01-21-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm watching this Clemson-UNC game, and its becoming apparent that Dick Vitale is maybe the worst announcer...ever! How is this guy in the HoF? He's god awful, he just talks a bunch of crap and is overall annoying. I know he's a freakin' God to some people, but ESPN needs to dump him.

LivingThroughMe
01-22-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm watching this Clemson-UNC game, and its becoming apparent that Dick Vitale is maybe the worst announcer...ever! How is this guy in the HoF? He's god awful, he just talks a bunch of crap and is overall annoying. I know he's a freakin' God to some people, but ESPN needs to dump him.

I don't really like him either, although it is pretty funny to listen to him when it's not your team playing. I've made drinking games out of college basketball games and one of the rules is when Dukey V makes up a word, you have to drink.

You can't deny that he has done a lot of charity work and everything though, so I don't HATE the guy.

mkool65
01-22-2009, 02:04 AM
Thank you, I am so sick of his Duke-UNC love fest. He is not horrible if he is doing two teams that are not either of those but I can not watch those teams when he is commentating. He is unreal bias and does get very annoying very quickly.

sdweston757
01-22-2009, 03:43 PM
i love dickie v

he represents everything that college basketball is about: the passion, heart, all that junk. You cant deny the guys intensity and love for the game. Granted he isnt the best announcer or the best "x's and o's" guy but when u watch a game that he is announcing it is highly entertaining. rock on dickie v

SidTheKid
01-22-2009, 04:10 PM
He gets very annoying at times but I can deal with him he has a lot of love for the game.

cambovenzi
01-22-2009, 04:20 PM
not even remotely close to the worst.
sure, sometimes he gets annoying.
but he brings alot of energy and knowledge.

YankeePride13
01-22-2009, 04:31 PM
I love Dickie V.

If he's doing the game I'll watch it even if I don't necessarily care for the two teams.

His passion and love for the game is incredible. He brings the atmosphere of the college campus to life and is genuine in what he says.

Not to mention this is one of the most philanthropic people in America. The amount he does for Cancer research is amazing.

homestarunner93
01-22-2009, 10:47 PM
He might be a good person, but he's the equivalent of Madden in football. He basically has little knowledge of the game, and just yells a bunch of crap.

J4KOP99
01-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Thank you, I am so sick of his Duke-UNC love fest. He is not horrible if he is doing two teams that are not either of those but I can not watch those teams when he is commentating. He is unreal bias and does get very annoying very quickly.

It is not his problem that Duke and UNC are usually the best teams year in and year out. Add to the fact that he and coach K are very good friends and have done a lot together with the Jimmy V foundation, I do not see a problem with him showing his love for those two teams.

He has fun with what he does, and you can tell by listening to him. His yelling does get annoying but you can't complain about that. There are tons of color commentaters that are much, MUCH worse than Dick Vitale.

It really sucks that you can't watch Duke-UNC when he is announcing because he is always announcing that game haha

sdweston757
01-23-2009, 04:17 PM
He might be a good person, but he's the equivalent of Madden in football. He basically has little knowledge of the game, and just yells a bunch of crap.

that is the worst analogy i have ever heard.. john madden is not a great announcer but to say he has little knowledge of the game is ********.

Madden's overall winning percentage including playoff games ranks first in league history. He won the Super Bowl and never had a losing season as a head coach. I think he has a little knowledge of the game.... and so does dickie v

homestarunner93
01-23-2009, 05:53 PM
It is not his problem that Duke and UNC are usually the best teams year in and year out. Add to the fact that he and coach K are very good friends and have done a lot together with the Jimmy V foundation, I do not see a problem with him showing his love for those two teams.

He has fun with what he does, and you can tell by listening to him. His yelling does get annoying but you can't complain about that. There are tons of color commentaters that are much, MUCH worse than Dick Vitale.

It really sucks that you can't watch Duke-UNC when he is announcing because he is always announcing that game haha
Easy, you just turn down the volume so you can watch the game without getting a headache...

that is the worst analogy i have ever heard.. john madden is not a great announcer but to say he has little knowledge of the game is ********.

Madden's overall winning percentage including playoff games ranks first in league history. He won the Super Bowl and never had a losing season as a head coach. I think he has a little knowledge of the game.... and so does dickie v
Madden had great knowledge of the game back when he was a coach, but football changes every year. Different formations and schemes evolve because defenses are always adapting to fight current offenses and vice versa. Madden really doesn't know a whole lot about the current game, listen to him announce. He doesn't tell you anything useful, just repeats common facts 20 times. Same goes for Dick Vitale, except for he's worse because he starts talking random **** that has nothing to do with the game.

Conor
01-23-2009, 09:05 PM
He's a legend and the father of televised college basketball, so it would never be in ESPN's place to let him go. But he's really not very good anymore, and he always finds a way to give his opinion about other sports during the game.....why?

hotpotato1092
01-24-2009, 12:09 AM
I'd personally love to see Dicky V, Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless do a game together. I think the world would explode.

oshea225
01-24-2009, 12:32 AM
i love dickie v

he represents everything that college basketball is about: the passion, heart, all that junk. You cant deny the guys intensity and love for the game. Granted he isnt the best announcer or the best "x's and o's" guy but when u watch a game that he is announcing it is highly entertaining. rock on dickie v

100% agreed

dbroncos78087
01-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Its Dickie V, baby!

SidTheKid
01-24-2009, 01:34 AM
Its Dickie V, baby!

Awesome with a capital A!

arkanian215
01-24-2009, 01:31 PM

dicky v is a legend. i dont like his voice or his color commentary. he is flat out annoying.

sdweston757
01-24-2009, 06:16 PM
100% agreed

i would give u a hug if i could right now

BaustinSali08
01-24-2009, 06:22 PM
I love his commentating, it makes me laugh and I enjoy watching the game.