PDA

View Full Version : Jacob Anderson's Day As A Penguin

SidTheKid
01-21-2009, 07:38 PM
When Matt Cooke found out he was being replaced on the Penguins’ top line on Tuesday he wasn’t the least bit offended. In fact, he welcomed his replacement with open arms…literally. The gritty veteran scooped 8-year-old Jacob Anderson into his arms, and carried him onto the Mellon Arena ice at the Penguins’ morning skate. Anderson, with the help of the Penguins and Make-A-Wish Foundation, fulfilled his dream to be a "Penguin for a Day."

The Penguins signed the young forward to a one-day deal and the young Connellsville native was granted the 10,000th wish from the Greater Pennsylvania and Southern West Virginia Chapter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

The whiteboard in the Penguins’ locker room indicated that Anderson will replace Cooke on the top line with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Cooke wasn’t too put off by the replacement.

“Do I mind? Not at all,” Cooke said. “It’s a chance in a lifetime for me, and it is for him. Obviously, he’ll relish it.”

Jacob’s long-eye lashed, dark brown eyes lit up as Cooke carried him onto the Mellon Arena ice and zipped the blond-headed boy around the rink during the final minutes of the practice. The special moment brought tears to the eyes of Jacob’s mom, Crystal.

“For Cooke to do that, he’s top notch,” Jacob’s dad, Ronnie said.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=405538

Check out the rest of the story. Really great to see the Penguins giving this young boy his wish to be part of the Penguins.

ShaunRiching9
01-22-2009, 05:24 PM
what a great story, i love the penguins for doing this im sure any team would but its great to see them doing this

SidTheKid
01-22-2009, 05:36 PM
what a great story, i love the penguins for doing this im sure any team would but its great to see them doing this

Yeah it's always good to see you're favorite team giving back to the community.