PDA

View Full Version : New QB Coach

thebusnotjerome
01-21-2009, 06:59 PM
This is from boston.com

According to two sources with knowledge of the team’s thinking, the Patriots have named Bill O’Brien as quarterbacks coach, replacing Josh McDaniels, who left New England to become the Denver Broncos' head coach Jan. 11.

O'Brien, a 39-year-old Andover native, has been with the Patriots for two seasons, serving as a coaching assistant in 2007 and as wide receivers coach under offensive coordinator McDaniels in 2008.

Before coming to the Patriots, O'Brien was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Duke University in 2005-06.

He spent 14 years as an assistant coach at the college level, including eight at Georgia Tech (1995-2002), where he was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach during his final two seasons. He then moved on to Maryland, where he spent two seasons as the Terrapins' running backs coach.

O'Brien attended Brown University, where he was a linebacker and defensive end from 1990-92. He began his coaching career at Brown, working with the tight ends in 1993 and tutoring inside linebackers in '94.

Thoughts?

griff141
01-21-2009, 08:10 PM
hmmm I thought he would end up our special teams coach

The Intimidator
01-21-2009, 09:12 PM
hmmm I thought he would end up our special teams coach

That's Scott O'Brien. He's our new special teams coach. We got him from Denver.

Morgan
01-21-2009, 09:51 PM
That's Scott O'Brien. He's our new special teams coach. We got him from Denver.

Yeah Scott O'Brien is the guy who was on Shanahan's staff in Denver and is a long time friend of Bill Bellichick and, Bill O'Brien is a coach that we had for a few years that's just getting a promotion.

griff141
01-22-2009, 03:17 AM
Ohhh ok. Same last name kinda threw me off.

The Intimidator
01-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Ohhh ok. Same last name kinda threw me off.

Don't worry, that's what I'm here for. :D

The Intimidator
01-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Looks like O'Brien will be taking over the play calling as well next season: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/01/22/patriots_promote_obrien/

It appears that Belichick is bringing O'Brien around the same way he brought McDaniels around. First, have him call plays as the QB coach, like McDaniels did in 2005, then eventually make him the offensive coordinator.

Super.
01-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Looks like O'Brien will be taking over the play calling as well next season: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/01/22/patriots_promote_obrien/

It appears that Belichick is bringing O'Brien around the same way he brought McDaniels around. First, have him call plays as the QB coach, like McDaniels did in 2005, then eventually make him the offensive coordinator.

then watch him graduate to head coaching to....

TheRedMarauder
01-22-2009, 05:39 PM

The Boston Herald suggests that head coach Bill Belichick could call the Patriots' offensive plays in 2009.

Belichick's background is defense, but he is well versed on both sides of the ball. The Pats aren't necessarily going to hire a coordinator to replace Josh McDaniels. The closest they have to an OC now is new QB coach Bill O'Brien.

rotoworld

Ewagner
01-22-2009, 05:51 PM
i'm not all that impressed with his resume. i don't know enough about any of the years he was at any of those schools. that is something i would like to look into. obviously the patriots no a hell of a lot more than my simple mind

Morgan
01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
then watch him graduate to head coaching to....

I know. LOL. I would put money on it that this guy becomes a head coach in about 5 years or so.