PDA

View Full Version : Tigers ign reliever

mark1125
01-20-2009, 09:24 PM
The Tigers signed Juan Rincon to a minor league deal.

Most likely a nothing deal, but he had excellent seasons in 05 and 06 with ERA's under 3.00 and decent strikout totals. He is under 30. His last 2 seasons were not good, but maybe reuniting with Knapp could help turn him around.

While this deal doesn't excite me by any means, I can think of worse names to sign. Hell.....it's a minor league deal, so why the hell not?

RicoSteel
01-20-2009, 10:28 PM
The Tigers signed Juan Rincon to a minor league deal.

Most likely a nothing deal, but he had excellent seasons in 05 and 06 with ERA's under 3.00 and decent strikout totals. He is under 30. His last 2 seasons were not good, but maybe reuniting with Knapp could help turn him around.

While this deal doesn't excite me by any means, I can think of worse names to sign. Hell.....it's a minor league deal, so why the hell not?

Mark,

Very low risk deal...I personally like it. This guy was a premier set-up guy a few years back. He is still pretty young and like you said, Knapp knows him. This may work out good. Now if they can get Lyon signed and another situational lefty, I think we can all be much happier going into the season.

Epic89
01-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Could work out, but given the countless failed reclamation projects in recent years, I'm not counting on it. The guy did steroids too; wonder why he's sucked since 06?

Sam_Quentin
01-20-2009, 10:53 PM
He's been atrocious for a few years, but i guess i wont complain about a minor league deal...only because of the Knapp connection which gives the signing a 10.73% chance of working out rather than the 0.78% if Knapp werent here.

mark1125
01-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Could work out, but given the countless failed reclamation projects in recent years, I'm not counting on it. The guy did steroids too; wonder why he's sucked since 06?

Forgot that he was on "the list". At least it's a minor league deal. There is a chance (albit low) that he regains his form with Knapp in the fold.

Yes, We Deliver
01-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Low risk deal. I was a fan of Rincon, even after he failed a test. If I understand it correctly, steroids effect a pitcher's stamina more than it does the quality of their stuff. Last year was terrible, however.

I like this signing. Detroit is stacked with Venezualen talent.

Sheffies Chef
01-22-2009, 08:32 PM
This deal isn't bad. I'm not stocked about it, but I'm not mad about it. It's a Minor League deal with an invite to Spring Training.

Worst comes to worst: He sucks, and we release him. Done. Project over.

But the guy does have a track record of some success (albeit with Muscle Juice in him) and could be a nice piece to an unknown bullpen.