PDA

View Full Version : Cavs Trade: If I were GM

bameche
01-20-2009, 03:01 PM
... First of all, my name wouldn't be Ferry.

I watched last night's Lakers game with a magnifying glass. A few things became evident to me:

1. The Cavs need another scorer (West and Z are hurt, but we need someone else to score down low in spite of this).
2. The Cavs don't have an answer for guys like Bynum (including Dwight Howard, Rasheed Wallace, Yao, or any semi-athletic big).

Sure we're a proven winner this year and our chemistry is great... yada, yada, yada. The fact remains, the NBA is a business and if you can make a team more potent, then you should pull the trigger on a trade. Wally and Eric Snow are valuable pieces in a trade since their contracts expire. A lot of teams would want to move a better player due to this.

My short, REALISTIC wishlist of C/PF players the Cavs should acquire..

1. Marcus Camby - sure he's old, but the guy is built for D and Rebs.
2. Kaman - even a caveman can do it.
3. Chris Wilcox - he's a monster. He had 17 and 11 filling in off the bench the other night. I can't believe this guy is put at the end of the bench for the Thunder!
4. Joe Smith - not via trade, but through Free Agency once he's cut - we had this guy last year and I can't believe there's not as much mention of him and the Cavs on this site.
5. Chris Anderson - the birdman. He's playing very well this year even though you'd have to take the bag of tricks that come with him.

What are your thoughts on this??? What would you be willing to give up???

CavsYanksDuke
01-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Marcus Camby is somebody I'm genuinely interested in for our answer to the big centers in the league. Kaman would help out with scoring too, don't know much about his defensive prowess.

Saying Wilcox is a beast on the Thunder is like congratulating the smartest kid on the short bus. Of course he's going to grab boards and points when the rest of the team is God awful man.

Joe Smith and Anderson would be good, but they wouldn't put us over the top. They would simply increase our depth.

If I could pick anyone, and considering this is a WISH list, I'd love Antawn Jamison. He's exactly what we need. He'd start for us right away. Corey Maggette has been thrown around too. He'd be great off the bench for us, torching the benches with Gibson.

bameche
01-20-2009, 05:49 PM
True it's a WISH list... but I think it was also a REALISTIC wish list. I love Jamison, but he's not coming to CLE - probably ever. We have a better chance of signing Jim Brown to play PF. Gerald Wallace is unlikely too. SI.com ran an article last week stating the Cavs should go after (and realistically have a chance to land): Vince Carter (whom I hate), Michael Redd (eh.. I like his shooting, but that's it), or Earl Watson (yikes, is this a joke).

I hope Ferry is listening to what's out there and it mixing it up and getting creative. I'd like to trade for depth, but I'd like even more to trade for a sure-fire home-run. Like a Gerald Wallace or Jamison. Or even better, what about trying to land someone like Udonis Haslem or Brad Miller or Nick Collison.

mockj12
01-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Thank you for posting this. I have honestly been stating that we need a PF/C for it seems like years lol. Even with Delonte injured, we still have enough pieces to fill for him until he's back. Z on the other hand is getting old. And this is the second time this season he has been out because of his foot. And as I watched last nights game I too told myself, we don't have anyone to guard these big men. So whoever it is, I don't care. As long as he's good and effective. I've heard that the Knicks may be willing to part ways with David Lee. I'd look in to that one too.

bameche
01-20-2009, 06:09 PM
David Lee would be a great choice! I'm going to go create this team on my PS3!

CavsYanksDuke
01-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Wowzers! Hyuk!

kingshiz
01-20-2009, 06:53 PM
I would'nt mind Nenard kristic, (He need's to get the feel for the NBA again but it would be sweet if oklohoma city would part with him).

bameche
01-20-2009, 07:07 PM
C'mon... Kristic? I don't know if I can get behind that one. I'd rather have Luc Longley come out of retirement!

Cavs_Fan24
01-20-2009, 07:12 PM
I think Chris Wilcox could be a good fit for our team. We might be able to get him at the deadline.

OneTime
01-21-2009, 12:09 AM
A lot of solid players but I would add one more to the list...
Brad Miller from Sacramento
Big man that can shoot and stretch the floor like Z...
Allow Andy to play PF so he doesn't need to put up double digit points every night...

Probably would take Wally and 1st rounder Or JJ

kingshiz
01-21-2009, 12:37 AM
I heard rumors that the cavs have there eye on jermain oneal, Trade's that involved wally sczerbiak,Anderson varejao,an tarence kinsey an 1st round pick. Has anyone else heard about this at all.

reb422
01-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Some of you need to pull your heads out of your rear ends and stop wishing for such mediocre things. Did I seriously just read Chris Wilcox, Jermaine O'neal, and the Birdman??? For something as valuable as a very expensive expiring contract? What the crap? And why are we even talking about "adding depth to our BENCH"? Am I the only one that paid attention to the NBA last year when the Lakers used their expiring contract in Kwame Brown to get Gasol??? That is a little more than a guy to add depth to a bench dont you think? Stop mentioning Chris Wilcox, Birdman, or Nenad Krstic and start thinking like a fan of a champion caliber team.

PapelbonLester
01-21-2009, 03:05 AM
I heard rumors that the cavs have there eye on jermain oneal, Trade's that involved wally sczerbiak,Anderson varejao,an tarence kinsey an 1st round pick. Has anyone else heard about this at all.

Omg

Willams
Gibson
Lebron
Oneal
Big Z
West
Wallace
Hickson
Sasha

Hello Championship

kingshiz
01-21-2009, 04:04 AM
I would'nt mind ben gordan,(very good at scoring), An another (BIG) like a chris kaman.

mitchkubacki
01-21-2009, 08:48 AM
dude we need marcus camby he can shoot block shots and is a rebounding beast. who cares about his age this guy can still play and is the guy we need down low.

raptor fan
01-21-2009, 11:27 AM
here's a deal that i thought of that might make sense for u guys:

Jermaine O'neal + Jason Kapono for Wally Z, Eric Snow, Sasha Pavlovic, Lorenzen Wright and a 2010 first rounder

this deal gives u two key pieces that can be very influencial in ur playoff run for not only this season, but next season as well.

bameche
01-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Like:
Camby
G. Wallace
Marc Gasol?
Joe Smith - via FA
Jamison - not going to happen though - ever

Hate:
Brad Miller
Jermaine O'Injury
Earl Watson
Alonzo Mourning
Trading Anderson or JJ

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
01-21-2009, 03:53 PM
I never want Jermaine O'neal.

I doubt Ferry thinks we do.

Storch
01-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Marcus Camby is the perfect Center for the cavs. He adds even more defense to an already excellent defensive team. :hide:

bameche
01-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Marc Gasol?!?!?!

so easy a caveman can do it.

CavsYanksDuke
01-21-2009, 06:07 PM
here's a deal that i thought of that might make sense for u guys:

Jermaine O'neal + Jason Kapono for Wally Z, Eric Snow, Sasha Pavlovic, Lorenzen Wright and a 2010 first rounder

this deal gives u two key pieces that can be very influencial in ur playoff run for not only this season, but next season as well.

...*Falls over laughing*

dwiduck
01-21-2009, 06:44 PM
A lot of solid players but I would add one more to the list...
Brad Miller from Sacramento
Big man that can shoot and stretch the floor like Z...
Allow Andy to play PF so he doesn't need to put up double digit points every night...

Probably would take Wally and 1st rounder Or JJ

The Cavs just turned down Brad Miller for Wally straight up. I wouldn't want to give up Wally for Milelr anyways, we could get better value.

mockj12
01-21-2009, 08:21 PM
I would take Brad Miller or David Lee. The rest... ehhh

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
01-21-2009, 10:29 PM
I think we should get the very best thing we can get for Wally. If we do trade him.

garlicboy
01-22-2009, 05:25 AM
How about Corey Maggette, Brandan Wright and Marcus Williams for Wally Scerbiak and 2 first round picks. It's equivalent to:

Brandan Wright for 2011 lotto protected pick

Maggette and Marcus Williams for 28th pick in 2009 draft.

This is more than fair when you consider that Brandan Wright right now is worth more than the 28th pick in the draft.

Maggette and Marcus Williams are also worth more than a late round pick.

Recall as you are over the limit, there is no way to sign any free agents. The only way to obtain a player is through trade or bank on a late round pick being a contributor.

kingshiz
01-22-2009, 07:41 AM
garlicboy is right...

Cavs_Fan24
01-22-2009, 12:32 PM
How about Corey Maggette, Brandan Wright and Marcus Williams for Wally Scerbiak and 2 first round picks. It's equivalent to:

This is more than fair when you consider that Brandan Wright right now is worth more than the 28th pick in the draft.

Recall as you are over the limit, there is no way to sign any free agents. The only way to obtain a player is through trade or bank on a late round pick being a contributor.

Keep Marcus Williams, and we'd only give up one first-rounder... not 2.

CavsYanksDuke
01-22-2009, 01:48 PM
^That's why I rolled over laughing. You can't expect us to give you a 1st round pick just for Marcus Williams of all people.

garlicboy
01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Keep Marcus Williams, and we'd only give up one first-rounder... not 2.

No Dice. Why worry about picks when you get a PROVEN 2nd option in Corey Maggette and you also receive a 21 year PF who plays well when he gets the chance.

What's the focus?

Draft picks or Championship Rings?

Warrirors were in the same predicament a last year. I wanted to give up Brandan Wright and our pick for David Lee.

A shot at a ring should not be taken for granted.

cali72888
01-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Yea if the Cavs got Maggette and Wright i can see them being in the Championship.
Wright would be a great asset to your team with Wallace at C.

Your telling me you wouldn't give up 2 first round picks for a 20ppg scorer in Maggette and a potential double double average player in wright?

If this trade was on the table the Cavs management would be ignorant to not accept it

dwiduck
01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Yea if the Cavs got Maggette and Wright i can see them being in the Championship.
Wright would be a great asset to your team with Wallace at C.

Your telling me you wouldn't give up 2 first round picks for a 20ppg scorer in Maggette and a potential double double average player in wright?

If this trade was on the table the Cavs management would be ignorant to not accept it

If Maggette is so good then why is it that everywhere he goes he loses

kingshiz
01-23-2009, 12:53 AM
That's because he has never played with lebron james...

garlicboy
01-23-2009, 01:12 AM
If Maggette is so good then why is it that everywhere he goes he loses

So I guess by your logic George "the Iceman" Gervin, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley and John Stockton are HORRIBLE, cause they never won a ring.

garlicboy
01-23-2009, 01:17 AM
That's because he has never played with lebron james...

Very true, Maggette as a 2nd/3rd option to Elton Brand and with a good PG in Sam Cassell made it to the Western Conference finals.

If Lebron doesn't win a ring this year is he a loser or a bad player? Of course not, he needs a good team with good team work.

Is Robert Horry all time great NBA players because he has 7 championship rings? No he rode the coattails of Tim Ducan, Shaq and Hakeem.

cel_113
01-23-2009, 11:31 AM
The Cavs just turned down Brad Miller for Wally straight up. I wouldn't want to give up Wally for Milelr anyways, we could get better value.

This is not true. The Cavs turned down Wally + JJ for Brad Miller

They would probably do Wally + first round pick - but Sacramento probably wouldn't

cali72888
01-26-2009, 03:43 AM
Miller is a sorry excuse for a PF, Maggette has lost on every team he has been on because has spent 6 seasons on the Clippers come on!!
Dunleavy could not coach his team out of a paper bag.

jeffvdone
01-27-2009, 05:05 PM
What do you guys think of this trade? Cleveland would have to send a first rounder to houston also.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3437~2172~796~831~2419~165~497 ~3242~532~1781&teams=10~9~10~10~9~5~5~10~5~9&te=&cash=

IndiansFan337
01-27-2009, 08:28 PM
dude we need marcus camby he can shoot block shots and is a rebounding beast. who cares about his age this guy can still play and is the guy we need down low.
Camby would be a nice upgrade over Wallace.

I think we should get the very best thing we can get for Wally. If we do trade him.
I'm starting to think that too. We could make a run with him this year & go for it all. But then it limits our ability to improve the team's talent between now & 2010. Wallace has an expiring contract next season. But if we are to shop him that would leave us very thin up front, unless Hickson proves to be capable of thr additional PT. That's why I'm thinking if we can't get the guy we want for Wally that we may trade him for a 1st round pick + a player with an expiring contract following next season. That would then allow us to add a young player to the mix, behind our deep squad & then have another great trade asset for next summer or at the trade deadline in 2010.

It isn't about that talent in that trade, it is about the salary implications. And the Cavs won't want the remaining 4 years, $40 million on Maggette's contract following this season.

So I guess by your logic George "the Iceman" Gervin, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley and John Stockton are HORRIBLE, cause they never won a ring.
Don't be ignorant. There's a big difference between losing, as Maggette has consistently done, and being eluded that career defining championship as your list of players has done. By comparing Corey Maggette to those greats you need to realize that you aren't selling him to anyone.

LeBrowns
01-28-2009, 10:20 AM

no, those players went deep into the playoffs countless times. Maggette is a selfish ball hog who plays for his own stats and doesn't fit the cavs style of basketball.

Drunk Kosar 19
01-28-2009, 11:31 AM
what about trading for tracy mcGrady?

DirkIsTheBest
01-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Trade Zydrunas & Wally for Dirk Nowitzki . then ben wallace can play center and with LeBron & Dirk , nobody can stop Cavs !

kingshiz
01-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Tracy McGrady sucks anymore,I'd rather have Ron artest.

fire2last
01-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Trade Zydrunas & Wally for Dirk Nowitzki . then ben wallace can play center and with LeBron & Dirk , nobody can stop Cavs !

No thanks! Z is getting old but I don't want Big Ben as my starting center.

fire2last
01-28-2009, 03:35 PM
What do you guys think of this trade? Cleveland would have to send a first rounder to houston also.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3437~2172~796~831~2419~165~497 ~3242~532~1781&teams=10~9~10~10~9~5~5~10~5~9&te=&cash=

You have to be kidding me! Cavs would be giving up way too much. I think JJ and Varejao will be around a while. Plus I don't want T-Mac.

Drunk Kosar 19
01-28-2009, 04:39 PM
so much for g. wallace...can we get tracy mcgrady? or maybe jordan will come out again.... away with szerb and snow already

enabring
01-28-2009, 05:58 PM

I don't mind the talent coming our way but the game is a game of size and we are losing way too much with very little in return when it comes to height. I would have to say, tempting but no thanks. If somehow a pf/c gets thrown into the mix then we can talk.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
01-28-2009, 06:42 PM
I don't mind the talent coming our way but the game is a game of size and we are losing way too much with very little in return when it comes to height. I would have to say, tempting but no thanks. If somehow a pf/c gets thrown into the mix then we can talk.

Agree.

unwantedplayer
01-28-2009, 06:42 PM
You guys deff. need a def stud like Camby because he can own the paint by himself. LeBron and co. can apply more pressure and you would play better against teams with great Centers.

enabring
01-28-2009, 07:26 PM
You guys deff. need a def stud like Camby because he can own the paint by himself. LeBron and co. can apply more pressure and you would play better against teams with great Centers.

Who's deaf? I was just responding to the thread as it was stated and going with the flow of the conversation. Calm down. Oh and what teams that are a championship threat have "great centers" at this point? Don't say Orlando because Howard is a PF and don't say Houston/Phoenix because they aren't a championship threat. The Cavs are pretty much the best team with a legit center. Z ain't pretty, but he gets the job done. Tip drill anyone?

dwiduck
01-28-2009, 11:55 PM

Who said anything about a ring? How many times has Maggette even made the playoffs.

ottograham14
01-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Right now if anything, the Cavs should just go get Carter b4 he gets injured too like Redd and Wallace. Get Carter for Wally and then go and hope that Oklahoma City buys out Joe Smith and the Cavs should go get get him for depth at the 4. Might mess up the chemistry to throw Carter in there at probably starting at the 2 cause I just cant see him coming off the bench but i think West would be fine with that.

IndiansFan337
01-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Right now if anything, the Cavs should just go get Carter b4 he gets injured too like Redd and Wallace. Get Carter for Wally and then go and hope that Oklahoma City buys out Joe Smith and the Cavs should go get get him for depth at the 4. Might mess up the chemistry to throw Carter in there at probably starting at the 2 cause I just cant see him coming off the bench but i think West would be fine with that.

If we acquired Carter he would certainly start over West. Williams & Gibson would likely see their minutes cut in order to give West some more PT at PG though.

Maybe the Cavs are waiting until closer to the deadline for two things. 1.) to see if Carter (or another trade target) can stay healthy up until that point or 2.) to see if any team gets desperate to move a contract in order to reduce a tax hit or decrease next season's guaranteed contracts. Being willing to assume a contract beyond this year is a luxury that the Cavs seem to show, whereas most other teams are being very cautious of that at this time.

I don't think LAC will trade Camby unless they get Randolph & Kaman back healthy before the deadline. If that happens, then I think there is a good chance that we may see him dealt. They got him for simply a second round pick, so they are going to turn quite a nice profit if they do decide to move him in February.

Drunk Kosar 19
01-31-2009, 04:24 PM
we need to trade szerb while his value is maxxed...we need Vince carter

IndiansFan337
02-01-2009, 06:05 PM
we need to trade szerb while his value is maxxed...we need Vince carter

I think we're waiting for someone a bit more reliable, maybe a bit more defensive-minded too.