PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Lyon to Close for Tigers???

MichiganSports
01-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Tigers are in talks with Lyon's agent. Lets hope this gets done. He's not Particularly great at anything, but he gets the job done. We need a proven closer.

cjags77
01-20-2009, 03:16 PM
I dont understand why everyone like this lyon guy? He has only been a closer for 1 year so he hasnt proven he is a full time closer. Though he is probably better than Rodney I dont think it is that much of an improvement. I dont understand why we dont have Zumaya close. I just dont think lyon can get it done as a closer but I would take him in my bullpen.

brandonwarne52
01-20-2009, 03:19 PM
I'd rather see us (Twins) sign him. He looks to be a pretty decent option.

Sheffies Chef
01-20-2009, 06:22 PM
I dont understand why everyone like this lyon guy? He has only been a closer for 1 year so he hasnt proven he is a full time closer. Though he is probably better than Rodney I dont think it is that much of an improvement. I dont understand why we dont have Zumaya close. I just dont think lyon can get it done as a closer but I would take him in my bullpen.

... Zumaya has a horrible track record as a closer.

3 Career saves

16 career opportunities.

mark1125
01-20-2009, 06:57 PM

Because:

A) He is not Fernando Rodney.
B) There isn't exactly a lot of other options at this point
C) Zumaya can't stay healthy and has failed in his opportunities thusfar.

I don't think it's that everyone is enamored with him, but at this point, he is probably one of the best of our limited options. Am I excited? No. Is it an improvement? Likely.

One thing to keep in minc with his stats. Maybe meaningless, but food for thought.

7.07 ERA at home.
2.40 ERA on road.

RicoSteel
01-20-2009, 10:30 PM

Why do we like him...Very simple...It buys us some time at closer until Fien or Anderson is ready. And it's not Rodney, that's all that really matters.

Epic89
01-20-2009, 10:45 PM
It's pathetic and unacceptable that it has come to this, but he is the best option available, and he's not Fernando Rodney. The guy was on my fantasy team last year, so I'll be the first to tell you he's nothing great, but he'd be solid.

Sam_Quentin
01-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Im on the anybody but Rodney wagon, so i'll take it if he's named closer. This doesnt mean im pro- Lyon in any way, i dont think the guy's good...at all. But i all i want is recognition from the front office that they can not possibly go into the year with Rodney as the closer.

JackB
01-20-2009, 11:04 PM
I agree. Thank god it isn't Rodney or Zumaya.

Badabingo
01-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Brandon Lyon a proven closer? That's a laugh. He was removed from his closer role due to a colossal meltdown and was relentlessly boo'd at the end of the season. Take a look at this:

Lyon was 3-5 with 26 saves in 31 save opportunities last year with the Diamondbacks, although he lost his closer's job during a tough second half that saw him roll up an 8.46 ERA after the All-Star break.

The right-hander finished with a 4.70 ERA and allowed 75 hits in 59 1/3 innings. He struck out 44 and walked 13. His WHIP (walks plus hits per inning) ratio was an unimpressive 1.48, and opposing hitters batted .301 against him.
http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090120/SPORTS0104/901200324/1129

I guess the Tigers are banking on the theory that pitchers usually rebound and alternate bad seasons. Hopefully he'll do better for you guys than he did for us. He's really not a closer though.

Lionsforlife
01-21-2009, 04:44 PM
One this deal is far from done. His agent is talking to several clubs. Two, I think no one is high on him, but we knew we weren't getting a big name. And I don't know anyone who would rather have Rodney close. Zumaya would be great in theory but he can't stay healthy to save his life. Plus, he lost his closer of the future moniker already. They've given up on him. It's now Fien or Perry.

Lyon could be an alright stop gap closer. He can't be worse than Jones or rodney, can he?

Sam_Quentin
01-21-2009, 06:41 PM
I'd like to see Perry up this season, maybe he can turn out to be what Zumaya was back in 06. Lord knows this team is desperate for a guy who can come in in the 8th and slam the door shut like Zoom used to do. (and will never be at that level again)

JackB
01-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Well it isn't just the 8th and 9th innings we are concerned with. We better hope the starters can go deeper in to games or we are in deep do do.

mark1125
01-21-2009, 10:23 PM
As I have said before.....there is not one pitcher on the current roster that I have any confidence in. Sad but true.

Sam_Quentin
01-21-2009, 11:47 PM
I still have confidence in Verlander, even with the bad year. Just too much talent there. But as for everyone else, i agree. Not one guy im confident in..

mark1125
01-22-2009, 12:18 AM
I still have confidence in Verlander, even with the bad year. Just too much talent there. But as for everyone else, i agree. Not one guy im confident in..

I think I misspoke. I meant there isn't one pitcher in the pen that I have any confidence in.

I too have confidence in Verlander and to a much lesser extent, Galaragga.

michigansports8
01-22-2009, 07:52 AM
why do we need this stupid lyon guy? I say that with the vast amount of starting oitching option we have now list: bondo verlander dontrelle that guy from tampa nate nd possibly more hwy not bring uo rick porcello? he might be a potencil closer? the guy has a great era so he doesnt give up many runs. but last year his record wasnt as good as it should have been for his other stats. all im saying is maybe porcello could be the wnser to our closer issues bring him up young like stevey izermen. lol how do you spell izermen.

JackB
01-22-2009, 08:30 AM
why do we need this stupid lyon guy? I say that with the vast amount of starting oitching option we have now list: bondo verlander dontrelle that guy from tampa nate nd possibly more hwy not bring uo rick porcello? he might be a potencil closer? the guy has a great era so he doesnt give up many runs. but last year his record wasnt as good as it should have been for his other stats. all im saying is maybe porcello could be the wnser to our closer issues bring him up young like stevey izermen. lol how do you spell izermen.

Huh ????

stanpapi
01-22-2009, 10:17 AM
I'd rather go closer by committee than do something halfassed like this. Stop it.

Bondomania
01-22-2009, 01:38 PM
absolutly not to Porcello as a closer!!!!!! he needs to pitch minor league innings to build up his stamina and arm strength so he doesn't burn out late in the year. We just drafted a ton of closers and relievers that Porcello should not even see the BP unless it is for a BP session or it is as a september call-up and he is just up to give the fans a glimspe of what he can be. If anything, i am going to bet that Perry wins a spot in the BP and is eventually the closer after Rodney fails. Another guy that i think could be a good closer would be zach miner. Throws a nice sinker, and has 3 other quality pitches. I think the only thing that would be a question is if he is mentally strong enough, which i think he is.

Sheffies Chef
01-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Tigers are in talks with Lyon's agent. Lets hope this gets done. He's not Particularly great at anything, but he gets the job done. We need a proven closer.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090122/SPORTS02/90122083/Tigers+close+to+signing+Brandon+Lyon

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090122/SPORTS0104/901220456/1129\

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090122&content_id=3764352&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

Sheffies Chef
01-22-2009, 05:32 PM
I'd like to see Perry up this season, maybe he can turn out to be what Zumaya was back in 06. Lord knows this team is desperate for a guy who can come in in the 8th and slam the door shut like Zoom used to do. (and will never be at that level again)

... you've got to let him develop for at least another half season.

Sheffies Chef
01-22-2009, 05:38 PM

A.) How old are you?
B.) Why does your spelling suck so bad?
C.) Why would you call Lyon stupid?
D.) Verlander, Bonderman, and Jackson are starters through and through.
E.) Although they have floated the idea of Bondo as a closer (I saw it in an article somewhere a few days ago, might have been freep, idk.) But that's not likely at this point.
F.) Porcello is a future, stud, ace, and monster on the mound.
G.) He had a great ERA (which should tell you enough. 19 year old dominating guys a year or two older than him in his first year of pro ball.) But the reason his other numbers (W's, K's, and such) weren't as impressive, is because (i'm not sure which), but the Tigers organization had him focusing on either his offspeed stuff, or his basic stuff (fb, change piece).

So on your post.

I grade...

EPIC FAIL :D!!!

mark1125
01-22-2009, 06:49 PM
A.) How old are you?
B.) Why does your spelling suck so bad?
C.) Why would you call Lyon stupid?
D.) Verlander, Bonderman, and Jackson are starters through and through.
E.) Although they have floated the idea of Bondo as a closer (I saw it in an article somewhere a few days ago, might have been freep, idk.) But that's not likely at this point.
F.) Porcello is a future, stud, ace, and monster on the mound.
G.) He had a great ERA (which should tell you enough. 19 year old dominating guys a year or two older than him in his first year of pro ball.) But the reason his other numbers (W's, K's, and such) weren't as impressive, is because (i'm not sure which), but the Tigers organization had him focusing on either his offspeed stuff, or his basic stuff (fb, change piece).

So on your post.

I grade...

EPIC FAIL :D!!!

I second that. Although I will give him the benefit of the doubt and guess that he was experimenting with typing with his big toe.

Sam_Quentin
01-22-2009, 11:55 PM
... you've got to let him develop for at least another half season.

See, this is one area i feel that the Tigers have erred in. Remember back spring training in 06 when Leyland said it was all about having the most talented guys no matter how young you were? We ended up with Zumaya and Verlander excelling with the confidence Leyland showed in them. That attitude has been completely lost now. There is no way anyone can say that Ryan Perry isnt more talented than every guy sitting in that pen. He's a reliever, he can develop on the fly. All he needs are 2 good pitches, which he has. Starters are the ones that require longer development.

Bondomania
01-23-2009, 12:24 PM
yeah, i have to disagree.. Perry is ready to contribute now. He was one of the most polished college relievers in the draft, and many have said he could have closed at the big league level last year. If he comes in to spring training and is dominant then why wait.. we need as many good relievers as we can get

Yes, We Deliver
01-23-2009, 01:08 PM
I like the deal. The more guys Detroit has competing for the closer role, the better. I'm a believer that competition brings out the best in every athlete. So in other words, Detroit can NOT just hand him the closer role. He has to earn it over every other reliever.

When he's on, he's got closer stuff. When he's off, he's way off. In other words, he's another Fernando Rodney. Let's just hope BOTH don't have off years. I think that's unlikely.

Me personally? I've said this from day one and I'm going to stick to it. If Dontrelle has a decent spring; decent enough to warrant a spot in the rotation; Convert Bonderman to closer. Some people don't want to hear that, but a lot of people didn't want to hear that about Kerry Wood when he as coming off of injury plagued seasons. I have no statistical proof to say Bondo would be better than Lyon or Rodney (actually, Bonderman was infamously terrible in the first inning he'd pitch in every game), but I have a hunch it'd work. Is a hunch enough to make a real decision? Who knows. In this case, I believe so.

theoldgoalie
01-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Brandon Lyon a proven closer? That's a laugh. He was removed from his closer role due to a colossal meltdown and was relentlessly boo'd at the end of the season. Take a look at this:

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090120/SPORTS0104/901200324/1129

I guess the Tigers are banking on the theory that pitchers usually rebound and alternate bad seasons. Hopefully he'll do better for you guys than he did for us. He's really not a closer though.

He is a consistent pitcher and although his numbers don't really jump out at you, he doesn't walk a lot of batters, and he likes to go after the batters. He lost a lot of confidence in Arizona after the unmeritoriuos demotion he got and I think he will do well with a change of scenery and coming back into the AL. My guess is that he will pull down the type of stats he did in Boston. Right around a strike out an inning, a 2:1 K/BB ratio, 3.91 era and my guess is he will pull down about 36 saves.

Scott Williamson is a really intriguing move...He is an idea bullpen guy. When he is on, he is on and will keep teams at bay. He's been up and down over the last few seasons, but for the most part he is an idea situational guy the guy who will get you out of a jam and get that K when you really need it. A great compliment for the lefty Seay. Adding Miner and either Robertson or Willis to the BP with these guys (my guess is Robertson) makes our bullpen ordeal an instant success.

Think of it, Miner and Robertson coming in for 2 couple of innings or long relief when a starter gets rocked, Seay, Williamson, Rincon, Dolsi and maybe Perry to get us out of an inning or two, Rodney and Zumaya to throw some heat and Lyon to put out the fire. I like it.....I like it a lot!

hoog
01-23-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm not really upset with the signing, especially if we get him for less than $5 million. To me, he's a younger, tad better, version of Todd Jones. It may not always be pretty but most of the time he'll get the job done. Plus, it's only a one year (possibly 2) from what I'm hearing. Well worth the risk. If nothing else he'll be a decent middle relief guy if someone else takes the reigns and it allows Miner to stay as the fifth starter.

Sheffies Chef
01-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Done.

1 year deal. Have no idea about $$$ though.

Sam_Quentin
01-24-2009, 12:06 PM
yeah, i have to disagree.. Perry is ready to contribute now. He was one of the most polished college relievers in the draft, and many have said he could have closed at the big league level last year. If he comes in to spring training and is dominant then why wait.. we need as many good relievers as we can get

We're definitely on the same page with this...i dont even think he needs to be dominant in the spring. Even if his era were in the 3's thats still good enough in my book just based off his talent. Without even throwing a pitch in the majors we already know that he's better than the guys we have up here now. I just hate that traditional mindset some people have where oh, you have to be in the minors for at least 2 seasons! Thats a crock when it comes to a reliever. I'm all for a few of the minor league guys making it this year...come on Leyland, get that 06 mindset back! It gets everybody in your entire system playing better and more motivated knowing they all have a chance to be on the bigs. Whether a guy hasnt been passed A ball or not, if he looks better than one of your vets, give him their spot.

Bondomania
01-24-2009, 12:15 PM
I want to know where people think that Bondo is this injury plagued pitcher? He has had 1 season where he was injured, and he is 2 years removed from being top 5 in the league in strikeouts. Again, we just drafted a ton of relievers that will most likely contribute this year. There is no need to convert bonderman right now. We need a solid pitching rotation, you don't get that with Nate and Dontrelle both in the rotation. The rotation will probably look like this..

Verlander
Bonderman
Galarraga
Jackson
Miner/Dontrelle/Robertson

That would give you a solid starting 3. Jackson is a solid number 4 or 5 guy. I think Miner should be the 5th pitcher, i know that gives us 5 righties, but you don't really need a lefty starter to win. Boston prooved that a few years ago. Either Dontrelle or Nate will be the odd man out and one will be traded or released prior to the season. However, Miner doesn't have the contract that the other two do, so i think Miner is ultimately relegated to the BP

Sam_Quentin
01-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Agreed Bondo, theres no way that at this point the Tigers can afford to try and convert Bonderman...thats stupid. Take him out of the rotation and we are in trouble. Everybody has this assumption that Galarraga will duplicate his season from last year, dont be naive people. This wouldnt be the first time a guy has had one great year then plummets back to mediocrity (or worse) the next. You still HAVE to be somewhat skeptical on what you're going to get from him. Bonderman is very much a key and needed part of our rotation...and there aint nobody to take his spot thats for sure.

JackB
01-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Well looks like we have a closer.
The AP reports that the deal pays Lyon $4.25 guaranteed money, but could be worth up to $500K more.
Its a one year deal. I like it. Like it alot. Its a decent money signing with no long term hurt if it doesn't work out. Very nicely done DD. It was worth the wait.
Now if we can get one or two more middle guys we should be in good shape.

Lionsforlife
01-24-2009, 03:01 PM
I definitely like the signing. I would have liked a two year deal, but we all know they want Perry as their closer in 2010.

This really is the near ideal situation. You didn't overpay a closer, or lock one up beyond what you wanted to.

If Zumaya and Rodney are healthy for once they should be able to give decent performances as set up men.

I also like our minor league signings (Rincon, Williamson, Ni.)

One of or more of these guys will probably be up and helping us this year.

As far as what has been talked about with Galaragga, I agree. He probably won't be as effective, but this year hopefully he won't have to be spectacular. Last year he had to carry our staff on his back. This year he will be our #3 and if he struggles, I believe that we will have Miner waiting in the wings to take his place. So I'm not worried. In fact, I like our rotation (save being scared of our lefty) and now with the Lyon signing I am alot more confident in the bullpen. Good signing.

JackB
01-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Rincon was a top middle guy a few years back with the Twins. If I remember correctly he was suspended for roids use . I don't thinks hes been the same since.

Sheffies Chef
01-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Sam and Bondo, here's the difference from, lets say Verlander and Zumaya in '06 Compared to Perry now.

Both Verlander and Zumaya had a full year of pitching in the minors, so they matured better not only physically, but mentally.

Perry however, spent what, 2 months at max in the minors. No, you've got to let him spend at least another 4+ months in the minors so he can also mature physically and mentally.

Guys, sometimes it's not just about having the stuff. Every major leaguer who has stepped onto the grass in a big league stadium has had the stuff, how else would they have got there. But a real baseball player has to be strong mentally. What happens when Perry (who owned during his month or so in the minors) comes up here and hits a rough stretch. He would never have experienced that, and he could be ruined. No, guys need to be able to experience the ups and downs in the minors, to successfully be able to handle the ups and downs in the majors.

Get what I'm saying?

Sam_Quentin
01-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Sam and Bondo, here's the difference from, lets say Verlander and Zumaya in '06 Compared to Perry now.

Both Verlander and Zumaya had a full year of pitching in the minors, so they matured better not only physically, but mentally.

Perry however, spent what, 2 months at max in the minors. No, you've got to let him spend at least another 4+ months in the minors so he can also mature physically and mentally.

Guys, sometimes it's not just about having the stuff. Every major leaguer who has stepped onto the grass in a big league stadium has had the stuff, how else would they have got there. But a real baseball player has to be strong mentally. What happens when Perry (who owned during his month or so in the minors) comes up here and hits a rough stretch. He would never have experienced that, and he could be ruined. No, guys need to be able to experience the ups and downs in the minors, to successfully be able to handle the ups and downs in the majors.

Get what I'm saying?

I totally get what you're saying, i just dont agree especially in the case of a relief pitcher. To draw a comparison so you see where im coming from, im also of the mindset that having to sit a rookie QB for a year is an old, tired out argument. Play your best guys is what i say...this team has WAY too many holes in the pen to allow 4 months of the season to go by without using who could very well be your best reliever.

Bondomania
01-24-2009, 11:28 PM
The difference too is the Zumaya was a middle round draft pick and wasn't nearly as polished as Perry was entering the draft. Verlander is a different case, and you cannot just bring a starter up like that. Starters need the innings in the minors to build up arm strength so they don't burn out there arms in the bigs because they pitch a ton more innings in the bigs than the minors. You can make the argument also that they did bring up Verlander to early, based on the fact that he has a tendency to tire in september. Also, you have to remember that Perry came into the organization already pitching in close to 70 innings, so he was probably a bit gased at the end of the season. I read reports that he looked so much better in fall ball opposed to the regular season. Zumaya also took a while to gain as much gas as he has on his fastball. He was pitching 92-94 when he got drafted. But ended up picking up 7 mph as he filled out and then made the transition to a reliever. I mean, all i am trying to say is if he comes out in the spring and is dominating people, then it will be hard to keep him off the roster. Also, if he does go to the minors, i think that if we find ourselves in the race in july and august and the BP is still sketchy, then i think Perry has to be a consideration to get called up.

Sheffies Chef
01-25-2009, 01:08 AM
I agree about that last part Bondo and get what you and Sam are saying. But I just have this nagging feeling that if Ryan was thrown into the closers role say, right outta spring training... I just feel that he could be ruined by a rough stretch. Ruined for his career I mean.

Like I said earlier, he may be polished and all, but if he hasn't experienced the ups and downs that a baseball pitcher will experience at the minor league level... he might have the equivalent of a nervous breakdown lasting a while if he has his first pro "downs" as the closer of a major league team. Like I said, think about the Mental aspect instead of the physical aspect.

But in the end, the decision's up to the Tigers Brass and Mr. Dombrowski, not us... but it still is fun to talk about.

Personally, I feel that Ryan could be a superb closer if he get enough experience of day to day life over most of a season in the minors. If rushed... well, who knows?

But I do, 100%, agree that if he is looking good in July, or August, he should be called up, and if he is indeed looking good... definitely a Sept. Call up.

And if he preforms great in Spring Training... maybe a Middle Relief job... but I am personally 100% against throwing him into the closers role right now. Maybe a M.R. job if he has a fantastic Spring.

Bondomania
01-25-2009, 06:43 PM
i don't think he will close right out the gates. He will most likely be a setup guy if he makes the team out of spring training. I think he would be eased into it, especially with Lyon just getting signed, he would be brought along slowly. I think Zumaya needs a year at Toledo to get his stuff back together and learn to be better with his command, and learn to fully utilize his secondary offerings

Sheffies Chef
01-26-2009, 12:31 AM
that could be an idea bondo.

get perry used to later innings. Zoom... who knows. depends on spring. but he probably won't go to Toledo.

Sheffies Chef
01-26-2009, 12:32 AM
alotta fans pay to see him throw gas.

kinda sad, but true.

JackB
01-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Both Zumaya and Rodney throw hard. Big deal. What good is it if you can't control it? I would rather have a guy that throws 90 and can put it where he wants to . At least MOST of the time.As they say. Those base on balls will usually come back to haunt you.

IndiansFan337
01-26-2009, 03:16 PM
I must say that I glad that the Tigers didn't have the money needed to acquire the likes of K-Rod or Brian Fuentes. I was worried that they might do just that this winter. IMO, this isn't much of an upgrade over Jones. They need the rest of the bullpen to stay healthy this year if they hope to be able improve from within.

Bondomania
01-26-2009, 07:34 PM
first off.. Lyon is a guy that is a better setup guy than a closer. Last year was his first full year of closing, prior to that he was a pretty good setup guy. Lyon is different from jones in that he has a legit strikeout pitch with his 12-6 curve.

Second... i wouldn't be to content as a tribe fan with the Tigers bullpen.. we have some serious BP arms that will be here.. some guys that hit triple digits and a few more that are 96-98 mph range. The bullpen will be a force in 2010 for sure.

JMDTM
01-26-2009, 08:26 PM
i agree^^. they should be much better this year. they have not brought in big guys, but they adressed the big issues. so this year i am looking for them to be atleast .500. and i hope so

Sheffies Chef
01-26-2009, 11:52 PM
first off.. Lyon is a guy that is a better setup guy than a closer. Last year was his first full year of closing, prior to that he was a pretty good setup guy. Lyon is different from jones in that he has a legit strikeout pitch with his 12-6 curve.

Second... I wouldn't be to content as a tribe fan with the tigers bullpen.. We have some serious bp arms that will be here.. Some guys that hit triple digits and a few more that are 96-98 mph range. The bullpen will be a force in 2010 for sure.

+1

Lionsforlife
01-27-2009, 01:43 PM
The more I hear about Lyon, the more I like this signing. He may have struggled near the end last year, but the good news is that he throws strikes. He walks twice as few as Rodney does.

Yes, it sounds like he will be more Jones than KRod, but at this point I would rather have a reliever force the other team to beat him. Once you walk anybody (especially as a closer) you are dooming yourself to fail. Free passes killed our bullpen last year.

mark1125
01-27-2009, 02:50 PM
One other thing is that it is a one year deal. Lyon will be extremely motivated to have a great year (preferebly as closer) so he can cash in next off season. Money is a huge motivator for most.

Bondomania
01-27-2009, 06:09 PM
plus, he was one of the best closers the first half of the season.. then the wheels fell off. Maybe he tired, maybe other things occured.. who knows. But he has the capability to be a solid closer that can probably post 30-40 saves this season.

tooch
01-27-2009, 07:29 PM
you will hate him after a while, because i did

JMDTM
01-27-2009, 09:24 PM
i dont see him giving up 10 hits and runs in the last inning so im good with the pickup

Lionsforlife
01-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Like I said, I will take his 2 walks every 9 innings over Rodney's 5 for every nine. I would rather see him blow a save by getting hit, than by walking the bases full.

tooch
01-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Do the D backs get a draft pick for him?

Bondomania
01-28-2009, 07:50 PM
supplemental maybe?

Rodney Stuckey
02-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Do the D backs get a draft pick for him?

supplemental maybe?

Nothing Because he is type B free agent!:smoking:

Bondomania
02-03-2009, 11:25 PM
type B get a supplemental draft pick. Some people call it a sandwhich pick. The diamondbacks will get a draft pick between the first and second round for the loss of Lyon.

Spartan2587
02-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Something that everyone is ignoring is that the Tigers FINALLY got rid of Chuck Hernandez. They signed the Twins' minor league pitching coach, and if you haven't noticed their minor league pitchers have been pretty great.

It wasn't just that over the last 2 years the Tigers' pitchers struggled, their strategy magically seemed to changed. i.e. throwing it "right down woodward" on 0-2... who does that? The Tigers gave up unprecedented amounts of 0-2 hits last year. Very frustrating. It was easy to see at the end of the year that Hernandez had lost his magic he had from the World Series year. He and Leyland weren't getting along and Chuck wasn't getting results.

I think now that a new approach is being put in place with someone who is obviously proven, the pitching will improve. It might not improve immediately, but by mid-season it should be back to the form it was 3 years ago.

This applies not only to the starters (it's already being seen as Willis is taking new steps to get back into top form), but it will also help with the BP, especially with the young guys as that's who this guy specializes in.