PDA

View Full Version : NHL Allstar gaffe

athlete9393
01-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I read this in my local paper and was in awwe after I realized how bad the NHL allstar voting is. I knew there was a problem before, but never realized it was this bad. take a look and here is the link to the article: http://www.eagletribune.com/pusports/local_story_018013012.html

"The NHL All-Star gaffe
Ballot stuffing making mockery of game

On Hockey
Mike McMahon

Alexei Kovalev is going to be starting at wing for the Eastern Conference All-Star team at next Sunday's All-Star game. Alexander Ovechkin will watch the opening faceoff from the bench.

Great job, NHL.

Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas, who for much of the first quarter of the season led the NHL in both goals-against average and save percentage, wasn't even on the ballot. But that's logical, right? He only recorded the win for the Eastern Conference in last year's game.

At least he was named a reserve.

Fan balloting has always baffled me, but putting no cap on fan votes? What a ridiculous move.

Montreal's Mike Komisarek shouldn't even be on the team. He has a stellar one goal and two assists and a plus-1 rating.

Yet he's a starter on defense with around 1.3 million votes thanks to some ballot-stuffing by the large Montreal fan base.

Andrei Markov starting aside Komisarek at least makes sense. But any of the reserves could (or rather, should) start in place of Komisarek.

The fan balloting has made a mockery of the game. It needs to be done away with.

Why not have the coaches vote? It could be a simple formula. There are 16 teams in each conference. Every coach votes on 12 forwards, six defensemen, and three goalies for their own conference and you can't vote for any player on your team. So, the most votes a player could get would be 15.

Then, the top-12 forwards, top-6 defensemen and top-3 goalies makeup the All-Star team. If you want to expand it, have every coach and every GM vote, making it 30 possible votes. Then, maybe have fans decide ties, if there are any.

The fifth-best team in the league has four starters and the best team in the league (as of this writing), the San Jose Sharks, have just two on the entire roster and no starters. What a complete joke.

Phil Kessel, who is fourth in the entire NHL in scoring, is left off the roster. Kessel has 14 goals more than Kovalev, who is ranked 103rd in the NHL.

News flash to the NHL; the fans don't have to be involved to make the game more compelling.

Hockey East warns fans

This weekend, Hockey East hung posters at all of the league's schools addressing a rising problem with derogatory cheers in the student sections.

The posters feature a picture of children watching a Hockey East game with the phrase, "Give your team a cheer, but remember who else is here!"

"We have the best fans in the country and we are so pleased that they have been turning out in record numbers this year," said Hockey East commissioner Joe Bertagna. "But we have also had some isolated instances where language has offended some of our fans and we felt it was appropriate to address the matter.

"This is a national and cultural issue. Certain behavior and certain language previously considered distasteful has become commonplace."

Mike McMahon is an Eagle-Tribune sportswriter. E-mail him at mmcmahon@eagletribune.com"

mattybeingmatty
01-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the breaking news! Sorry, but this has been discussed at great lengths in the main forum... where it belongs, I might add. Not trying to be too big of an ***, but this really is old news.

On a related note, w/ lucic having been out the last 5 games, you have to figure he's a no-go for the youngstars game. If that's the case, David Krejci better be his replacement, or I'm going to lose my ****.

mattybeingmatty
01-23-2009, 04:29 AM
On a related note, w/ lucic having been out the last 5 games, you have to figure he's a no-go for the youngstars game. If that's the case, David Krejci better be his replacement, or I'm going to lose my ****.

David Bolland? WTF? What does Krejci have to do to get recognized? Krejci has 6 more assists than Bolland has points, with 17 goals to boot. Ridiculous. All that said, I'm fine with him not actually playing, as it's just an unnecessary risk of injury, but give the guy the respect he deserves.

dmb
01-23-2009, 01:59 PM
it's all stupid Habs fans voting the **** out of the ballots

mattybeingmatty
01-23-2009, 04:49 PM
it's all stupid Habs fans voting the **** out of the ballots

No, actually the youngstars rosters are selected by the NHLís Hockey Operations Department and the NHL Players' Association. in consultation with League General Managers.....who apparently have never heard of David Krejci.

Frrrrank!!!
01-23-2009, 05:57 PM
No, actually the youngstars rosters are selected by the NHLís Hockey Operations Department and the NHL Players' Association. in consultation with League General Managers.....who apparently have never heard of David Krejci.

David who?

AngusYoungRocks
01-25-2009, 04:21 PM
David who?

i think they are talking about David Booth ;) but correct me if im wrong