PDA

View Full Version : Someone, Please Educate Me About Mike Brown

cqueve1
01-16-2009, 03:36 PM
I was watching the Cavs/Bulls game last night and as entertaining the game was, I've always had the question of, "How do Cleveland/Cavs fans perceive Mike Brown?"

In Chicago, we have our personal feelings towards our coaches. We wanna throw Vinny Del Negro off the ship, Lovie's too quiet and sometimes what good does he provide for the Bears, Cubs fans are starting to doubt Lou Piniella's judgment in putting Soriano in leadoff and in a way, blame him for the collapse in the offseason, and of course, Ozzie is just Ozzie....

So Cavs fans, tell me what your feeling is of Mike Brown. All I know is that he came from Greg Popovich's bench in San Antonio. I don't even know if he was a coach in high demand. In last night's game, I saw 2 different Assistant Coaches, in the middle of a huddle in a timeout, talking and drawing up plays for the guys. Personally, I haven't seen that before.

Is he a really good coach? Or is he someone that just lingers...

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
01-16-2009, 03:48 PM
We are 30-7. Haven't had a losing season in a while, so why complain?

I used to not care for his offense, but now it seems like he is doing the right thing. I believe he passed the offensive play calling to a assistant, but could be wrong.

Weidner9
01-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Mike Brown is a guy that for his first few years was viewed as a pawn for Lebron to play with. This season he is starting to come out of his shell a lil bit. No one can argue that he almost single handedly won a game a few weeks ago by getting tossed. The cavs were looking pretty bad and he turned it around and while they should have killed that team from the begining, they almost came back and won it. I like that he passes the clip board to a guy that knows something about offense. By doing that he shows he doesn't have an ego, and if he doesn't know what he is doing on offense then bring in a guy that does and he did that. I am really impressed with Mikey for once in my life as a cleveland sports fan the coach we have is the exact one i want (Exception Hargrove)!

NickChrisless
01-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Huge fan of Mike Brown.

When he came in, he was preaching defense ... we weren't AS good as we could be, but I didn't think we had the talent to be near as good as we are this year. On my end, Mike Brown is really in the same boat as Danny Ferry. You wait and wait for them to hit it big, you start to become restless not because they haven't done their job, but just that you have such high expectations because of you possess the best player in the game.

After a few years of doubt and the inkling that patience was starting to wear, we've seen what a mastermind Ferry was last year at the deadline and how Browns "defense first" mentality has been so crucial to our success.

I'd point the finger at fans like myself before ever pointing it at Brown. Also... LeBron loves him, which all fans can say is a huge plus. The city goes as LeBron goes... (could New York even say that?)

Cavs_Fan24
01-16-2009, 09:41 PM
He's a bad@$$ coach i'll tell ya that.

IndiansFan337
01-18-2009, 02:10 PM
We have a had a top defense ever since he took over. So I am behind him 100%. Defense wins championships.

y2koz7
01-19-2009, 10:25 AM
I like the swell of support for Mike Brown in this forum, but either people have come around, or these supporters were hiding for the past few years. Mike Brown has been a winner, not due to his coaching or experience, but due to LeBron. In this first three seasons, the Cavs won 50, 50, and 45 respectively. Although those are good numbers, many fans expected a team with LeBron to have been winning more. What's more, in the two home games during the NBA finals, the fans actually BOOED Mike Brown went he was announced as head coach. Bill Simmons from ESPN has said he would be more worried about a Cavs-Celtics playoffs match up if Mike Brown weren't the coach for the Cavs. Last year, the Cavs were DREADFUL in the third quarter. I don't know what the team went over during halftime, but it made them worse in the second half.

The Cavs improvements on offense have come from Mo Williams and John Kuester (the assistant coach hired simply to help the team with offense).

The players love Mike Brown because he is a players coach. He always takes the blame when the team loses and always gives credit to the players when they win. Although this does not win him fans off the Cavs payroll, it earns him fans among the players and upper management (ala Lenny Wilkens).

If the Cavs had Riley, Jackson, Popovich, or Sloan (ignoring logistics), we would have won the finals against the Spurs, LeBron would have at least 1 MVP by now, and the Cavs would be the hands down favorite to win this year.

Doc Rivers was mediocre as a coach (0.466 coaching lifetime) until the Celtics landed Garnett and Alan (0.866 since then). Now everyone thinks Doc is a genius. Same for Mike Brown.

CavsYanksDuke
01-20-2009, 12:53 AM
I like the fact that he realizes that he has a superstar on his hands and pretty much has an open door policy on handling the team.

He's consistent.

dwiduck
01-22-2009, 09:18 PM
He's a very good defensive coach, and made a great move in the offseason when he delegated the offensive play calling to an assistant