PDA

View Full Version : Ucla?

DodgerFan4Life
01-16-2009, 04:51 AM
Do you guys think they have a good team this year? Their two losses, @ Texas and on neutral ground against Michigan were both very close, (Michigan game probably should have gone into OT). I am a die hard Bruin fan but I was not very exicted this season and thought of their preseason rating of #4 as a ridiculously high rank for what I thought was going to be a pac 10 champ contender and a 2nd round ousting of the NCAA tourny. But with the way things have been going, Roll, Shipp, Dragovic, are all showing great shooting touches from the 3 point line, along with Collison and Holiday being fantastic play-makers and cut to the basket acceptionally well. Not to mention the surprising toughness of Keefe and Aboya down low this year. I am actually beginning to think they have a shot at another final four appearance. I won't be completely convinced of anything until we have played both Arizona State and Notre Dame to see what level were actually at but with the way our offense is playing and our always praiseworthy defense, I'm finding this season to be quite a delightful surprise.

JHG722
01-16-2009, 05:25 AM
I dont think they'll win it all, but theyre definitely good.

DodgerFan4Life
01-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Well a day couple days after posting this they go and have a horrible final 15 min against the Sun Devils. Go figure.

LivingThroughMe
01-17-2009, 11:09 PM
They won't make it past the 2nd round.

qrich
01-18-2009, 10:35 PM
No, UCLA is too young and inexperienced to do damage this year. Holiday seems to have grown up, but much more is needed from him, and the rest of the frosh, which I believe will be too much to ask for.

Now, if Holiday stays, he will improve along with Malcolm Lee, Drew Gordon, J'Mison "Bobo" Morgan, Jerimie Anderson, helping the program greatly. And throw in 4* recruits Tyler Honeycutt(6'7 SF), Mike Moser(6'8 SF), Reeves Nelson(6'7 PF) and 3* recruits Brendon Lane(6'9 PF) and Anthony Stover(6'9 C). UCLA will make a lot of noise.

Honestly, I am not worried with this team, even the year after, we got two nice recruits coming in with Tyler Lamb and Kendel Williams.

ShepzCubbies
01-20-2009, 09:00 PM
They miss Kevin Love.

DodgerFan4Life
01-29-2009, 03:29 PM
They won't make it past the 2nd round.

Thats quite a bold statement coming from a big 10 school.

Chest Rockwell
01-29-2009, 04:00 PM
They're above average, but anything past the 2nd round is either part of some great chemistry met or overachieving. Holiday really should stay for another year, and get a little more polished and work on that jump shot. Do you know if he's leaning towards declaring or not?

LivingThroughMe
01-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Thats quite a bold statement coming from a big 10 school.

Seriously dude? PAC-10?

The Big-10 is at worst the 3rd best conference in college basketball this year.

UCLA has no big out of conference wins. They lost to Michigan, which is at best a #6 Big-10 team at the end of this season. UCLA conveniently beat all the bottom feeders of the PAC-10, yet failed to beat Washington (away) and ASU (at home). Now, tell me, what have they done to deserve their #16 ranking, let alone confidence that they will even make it past the 2nd round of the tournament?

Let's do a little run-through of the two teams that beat UCLA in the PAC-10:
- ASU also has zero quality out of conference wins. They lost to Baylor, which isn't a bad team, but they're not ranked like ASU is.
- Washington lost to Portland, Kansas, and Florida. The only one of those three that is any good is Kentucky, Florida is alright. They beat Oklahoma State which is a decent win. Notice none of these teams I mentioned are ranked.

The Big-10 as a whole is 18-30 against AP Top 25 teams. The PAC-10 is 6-19. Not only is the Big-10's record better, but they've played 23 more top 25 teams.

DodgerFan4Life
01-30-2009, 12:58 AM
I never once said that the Pac-10 was a top tier conference this year. Simply stated that the Big 10 is very weak as well. If you think the Big 10 is deeper and more skilled then the ACC, Big 12, or Big East then your out of your mind. Your close to the big 12 but theres not enough. That simple.

LivingThroughMe
01-30-2009, 01:58 PM
I never once said that the Pac-10 was a top tier conference this year. Simply stated that the Big 10 is very weak as well. If you think the Big 10 is deeper and more skilled then the ACC, Big 12, or Big East then your out of your mind. Your close to the big 12 but theres not enough. That simple.

Big 12 is not close to the Big 10.

DodgerFan4Life
01-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Big 12 is not close to the Big 10.

Agreed 150%.

LetsGoA's
02-21-2009, 07:51 PM
rebuilding year. Id take them over anything in corn country (big 10 and 12)

Perdue? Mizzou? KU? tHIS YEAR? pUHHLEEEEEEEZE

cardinals1226
02-21-2009, 07:55 PM
rebuilding year. Id take them over anything in corn country (big 10 and 12)

Perdue? Mizzou? KU? tHIS YEAR? pUHHLEEEEEEEZE

Funny when two UCLA's five losses are from those corn country hicks. :rolleyes: Plus, I wouldn't consider a team with 10 upper-classmen (6 Juniors, 4 Seniors) a rebuilding team.

JHG722
02-22-2009, 12:50 PM
UCLA is clearly severely overrated.

THEGREAT28
03-02-2009, 02:00 AM
UCLA will surprise alot of doubters in this years NCAA tournament.
Ben Howlin will, no doubt have his guys ready for the March run.
Final Four for sure! With UCLA it's only Tradition, you see!

U~C~L~A
:cheer: FIGHT~FIGHT~FIGHT!!! :cheer: