PDA

View Full Version : Which team can turn it around?

Wilson
01-14-2009, 10:40 PM
There were high expectations for both Toronto and Philadelphia this season but have failed to meet expectations. Which, if any, do you think will turn it around and make a strong push?

I'm going to try and add a poll, but I've never done it before and I'm not quite sure how to do it :o

EDIT: I figured it out :dance2:

DitchDat
01-14-2009, 10:45 PM
As of late, Philly has been playing better.

Anyone know if it's true the Raps are trying to get rid of JO?

IndyRealist
01-14-2009, 11:17 PM
If the Raps dump JO for someone productive, Toronto might make a push. If they weren't so desparate to get rid of TJ Ford, they never would have taken O'Neal and given up Rasho in the process. When he's on the court he's still got it, but he's on the court what, 50% of the time? Not enough to be a difference maker, not enough to tie up $22M in payroll.

If Brand stays injured all year, Philly might make a push. For Brand to be effective he has to have a team built around him. Philly is quite possibly the worst team for him to be playing for. He plays half-court, inside out with 3pt shooters. The entire rest of the team plays run n' gun, slashing, attack the basket. And they don't shoot 3's.

Wilson
01-14-2009, 11:21 PM
If the Raps dump JO for someone productive, Toronto might make a push. If they weren't so desparate to get rid of TJ Ford, they never would have taken O'Neal and given up Rasho in the process. When he's on the court he's still got it, but he's on the court what, 50% of the time? Not enough to be a difference maker, not enough to tie up $22M in payroll.

If Brand stays injured all year, Philly might make a push. For Brand to be effective he has to have a team built around him. Philly is quite possibly the worst team for him to be playing for. He plays half-court, inside out with 3pt shooters. The entire rest of the team plays run n' gun, slashing, attack the basket. And they don't shoot 3's.

I think Andre Miller and Andre Iguadala should be capable of running a half court offense.

If not, maybe they should consider trading Andre Miller (so as to put the ball in Iggy's hands more) for a guy who doesn't control the ball so much, and can consistently hit the three.

DitchDat
01-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Raps are too deep now... their push would have to be very strong

Philly is one win away from 8th seed, winner of 5 straight

Toronto is eight games under .500

With all the player movement that happened, is there anyone that thinks the Sixers could beat the Pistons in a playoff series? I think they could. Too bad they would be facing Cleveland if they were 8th seed :p

deepen03
01-14-2009, 11:28 PM
after tonights win against portland without elton brand, i have faith in philly (btw, not a sixers fan).

but if iguodala continues to get back to his old ways, then its gonna be good in philly. Im just hoping that the other teams like toronto and chicago continue to struggle so my nets can make the playoffs and shut up all the analysts.

Wilson
01-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Raps are too deep now... their push would have to be very strong

Philly is one win away from 8th seed, winner of 5 straight

Toronto is eight games under .500

With all the player movement that happened, is there anyone that thinks the Sixers could beat the Pistons in a playoff series? I think they could. Too bad they would be facing Cleveland if they were 8th seed :p

Possibly. I really think the Pistons have screwed their chemistry up too much. They seem to be doing alright though.

Sixerlover
01-14-2009, 11:30 PM
I mean we are in a 5 game winning streak beating teams like Houston, Portland, and Atlanta. And Elton is due back Saturday, and has stated that he is willing to come off the bench the first couple games to get re-acclimated with the system. So I think we'll turn it around and grab the about the 6th seed.

deepen03
01-14-2009, 11:30 PM
the 7 and 8 spot is gonna come down to the Nets, Sixers and Bucks most probably.

I hate toronto because of the B.S. they give vince when he goes there, so i hope they never get success.

I like chicago, but i don't see them making the playoffs. D-rose and Gordon are the only bright spots but the rest of the team is not ready yet.

deepen03
01-14-2009, 11:32 PM
I mean we are in a 5 game winning streak beating teams like Houston, Portland, and Atlanta. And Elton is due back Saturday, and has stated that he is willing to come off the bench the first couple games to get re-acclimated with the system. So I think we'll turn it around and grab the about the 6th seed.

six seed is pushing it man. with the way miami is playing, im pretty sure they are not lettin that 6 spot go to anyone. The top five teams are already locked in from Cleveland to Atlanta.

6, 7 and 8 are going to Miami, New Jersey and Philly respectively.

td0tsfinest
01-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Looks to me that Toronto and Philly have been playing better of late without their recent acquisitions. I would say lets do a swap but I don't think Brand could play the centre.

Sixerlover
01-14-2009, 11:33 PM

Actually Brand should be just fine when he returns, because he'll mainly be taking Dalembert's minutes. An outlet passer who will trail the break. And if the break doesn't work, in a half court set he is a HELL of a better option then Daly down low, so he'll fit fine with the new system.

Cheeks was trying to force the ball through Brand, DiLeo noticed that and he'll let Elton find his niche in the offense and not force the ball through him.

Sixerlover
01-14-2009, 11:37 PM
six seed is pushing it man. with the way miami is playing, im pretty sure they are not lettin that 6 spot go to anyone. The top five teams are already locked in from Cleveland to Atlanta.

6, 7 and 8 are going to Miami, New Jersey and Philly respectively.

I guess just goes to show how confident I feel about this team.

They're only a half a game behind NJ right now, and I think that they'll top them by at least the end of January with the way they are playing recently. And Miami is playing great, but I don't know if Wade can keep them above water the whole year. I guess we'll see.

Wilson
01-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Well Philly just beat up Portland, and Toronto lost to Chicago.

amare#1
01-15-2009, 03:33 AM
Looks like Philly will as long as Brand continues to not play... they seem to do better without him. I can't see Toronto turning anything around unless they are healthy and/or make a trade, which sounds like they might soonish.

Skin&Bones
01-15-2009, 03:41 AM
Um...yea just for the sake of picking...raptors for me.. cause both teams just is sssoooo disappointing.

LakerzDQ
01-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Bargnani is playing amazing right now. raptors might be able to make a comeback

Frank Costanza
01-15-2009, 09:45 AM
raptors have a soft sched after march april, 75% games att home and 65% games with teams below .500 if they can get to .500 b4 or around the time of the soft sched they can go on a run at the right time going into the playoffs

EAGLES3658
01-15-2009, 10:24 AM
wizards next year.....

JJ81
01-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Neither but Toronto out of the 2.

chicagowhitesox
01-15-2009, 12:11 PM
i think the only way either of them really get back in it is if they make a move. and i think toronto is more likely to do so, which is why i voted for them.

Sixerlover
01-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Seems like one of them HAS turned it around

Nighthawk
01-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Surprised the raptors have that many votes. If turn it around means make the playoffs then NO the raptors wont. I think Philly upon Brands return could win some ball games and maybe get a 5 or 6 seed in the east.

KKell2507
01-18-2009, 12:39 AM
well philly has won 7 in a row. does that count as turning it around? back at .500 with elton brand likely coming back monday. they then have 4 days off next week(VERY rare for an nba schedule) to get brand back into the swing of things and get him accustomed to dileo's style of coaching instead of Mo Cheek's. remember brand has only played 2 games since dileo took over(they went 2-0 by the way). right now i dont think anything could cool off the sixers unless they play orlando, cleveland, lakers, and boston like 4 games in a row or something which i doubt. that demolishing of san antonio last night was very impressive.

Sixerlover
01-18-2009, 12:46 AM
well philly has won 7 in a row. does that count as turning it around? back at .500 with elton brand likely coming back monday. they then have 4 days off next week(VERY rare for an nba schedule) to get brand back into the swing of things and get him accustomed to dileo's style of coaching instead of Mo Cheek's. remember brand has only played 2 games since dileo took over(they went 2-0 by the way). right now i dont think anything could cool off the sixers unless they play orlando, cleveland, lakers, and boston like 4 games in a row or something which i doubt. that demolishing of san antonio last night was very impressive.

Mon 19 vs Dallas
Sat 24 vs New York
Mon 26 @ New Orleans
Wed 28 @ Houston
Fri 30 vs Washington
Sat 31 vs New Jersey

next 6 games. And like you said, that 4 day break in between those two games are huge.

Westbrook36
01-18-2009, 12:54 AM
76ers have already started to turn it around, Like the others have said 4 Day break.

We get Brand back soon and We should be better, Andre Iggy in the 7 game streak has turned into an Animal, Just complete beast.

GspLAL
01-18-2009, 02:05 AM
I havent watched any Sixers games lately but arent they playing good because elton brand left?

Sixerlover
01-18-2009, 03:57 AM
nope. Before Brand got hurt they were 2-0 with DiLeo, and leading in the game that he was hurt in. It wasn't Elton's injury that sparked the run IMO.

Dmunk08
01-18-2009, 04:31 AM
how about the atlanta hawks being one trade away from being the best in the east

hockeypro68
01-18-2009, 05:33 AM
The return of Brand will lead to a discombobulated Iguodala and a struggling 6ers team. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Neither team made playoffs. Although the 76ers probably will make 7th or 8th seed.

todu82
01-18-2009, 05:48 AM
Philly.

$ NyC $
01-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Sixers really should have given Josh Smith those big bucks he would have fit in PERFECTLY and could still be somewhat of the post-presence they need.

innovator
01-18-2009, 09:45 AM
the 76ers have been ALOT better wihout BRAND! SO trade elton brand for a high draft pick or expiring contracts

Tblaze
01-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Sixers really should have given Josh Smith those big bucks he would have fit in PERFECTLY and could still be somewhat of the post-presence they need.

yeah if you see what bad impact a good half-court player has on them in a bad way, imagine what J-smooth would've strenghtened their team... that would've been sick if you think back at it...

JayW_1023
01-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Philly looks like a better team without Elton Brand. That's no knock on Brand...but his presence slows the game down for a team whose personel is better suited playing in the open floor.

Bosh=nextKG
01-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I think that they both will make a push for a playoff spot. The raptors are a good team that is just having trouble. They need Calderon back and now that Andrea is playing well they need JO to play well or to leave Toronto. The Sixers have been playing well as of late, Iggy has really turned it on, lets see how he does when Brand gets back

innovator
01-18-2009, 12:18 PM
how bout a josh smith-eltan brand swap?

JayW_1023
01-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Brand is a typical half court player...and the Sixers don't have any good shooters to complement him. If I were them I'd pursue a long range shooter before Brand returns. Than the Sixers will be in much better shape. They will be able to adapt between transition offense and half court offense depending on the matchup.

Sixerlover
01-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Never-ever do a Elton Brand for J.Smith swap. He has absolutely no post presence, and in the playoffs when the game slows down we'd have no one in the post to score the ball.

You can't run and gun your way to the championship, eventually you'll have to somewhat slow the game down.

Wilson
01-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Never-ever do a Elton Brand for J.Smith swap. He has absolutely no post presence, and in the playoffs when the game slows down we'd have no one in the post to score the ball.

You can't run and gun your way to the championship, eventually you'll have to somewhat slow the game down.

Definately. The Sixers will have to go through Boston and Cleveland if they want to make the finals, and those teams just won't allow you to run and gun for a whole series.

Sixerlover
01-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Definately. The Sixers will have to go through Boston and Cleveland if they want to make the finals, and those teams just won't allow you to run and gun for a whole series.

That's why I hate when people say we should trade Elton because he doesn't "fit the team". In the regular season you play teams like New York, Memphis, New Jersey etc who will let you run all over them. You don't face that in the playoffs. That's why he is here, for the playoffs.

Nate David+ Co.
01-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Philly!