PDA

View Full Version : Tigers sign Thames and Rodney to one year deals...

levignjw
01-14-2009, 08:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3833497

Can anyone explain to me what DD's masterplan is here bcuz i am losing faith each day in this organization...we arent doing anything to improve our bullpen which killed us last season. I cant sit through another 162 games watching us play like we did before

theoldgoalie
01-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Thames is a veteran bat for the lineup and adds depth to the outfield and Rodney thus far is our closer and Jimmy thinks he is going to have a great year or he won't have a contract next season. Anyone who thought we wouldn't sign them is smoking some good stuff and needs to pass it on.

JackB
01-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Wow. That news made my socks go up and down I was so excited.

Sheffies Chef
01-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Thames is a veteran bat for the lineup and adds depth to the outfield and Rodney thus far is our closer and Jimmy thinks he is going to have a great year or he won't have a contract next season. Anyone who thought we wouldn't sign them is smoking some good stuff and needs to pass it on.

You are becoming one of my favorite posters on here along with Bondo because you know your stuff and are rational and realistic.

Anyway, you hit the nail on the head with this. I believe that Rods will be better than most people think in parts to it being a contract year for him (he has to earn his next contract now), and with Rick Knapp's teachings.

Sam_Quentin
01-17-2009, 12:14 PM
You are becoming one of my favorite posters on here along with Bondo because you know your stuff and are rational and realistic.

Anyway, you hit the nail on the head with this. I believe that Rods will be better than most people think in parts to it being a contract year for him (he has to earn his next contract now), and with Rick Knapp's teachings.

Yeah but what bothers people isnt necessarily that he's still here, it is the fact they actually may be using Rodney as the closer. Thats just ridiculous no matter how you slice it....how many saves does he have to blow? Hey, maybe you're right and Knapp could turn him around...but you dont use this hope as logic for not signing any pen help! How many years now have we heard the same tired story...."We hope Rodney can be like he was in '06 and Zumaya can be healthy". :mad: Its like a broken record. Hell i'd rather them say Ryan Perry will be our closer next season than friggin' Rodney..

Lionsforlife
01-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Rodney has always been yanked around as far as closing goes. They want him as their 8th inning man, but their closer problems in the past and injuries has always bounced him in and out of closing. I think if they decide that Rodney is the closer, at least he knows the job is his and can approach the game solely as closer (not that it should matter much.)

I also think that if they use Rodney there its because they have complete faith in Perry for the year following.

However, they are still looking for more help as they are talking to Lyon now and checking on Isringhausen and Cordero.

It's smart to keep both these guys for depth. Hopefully Rodney won't have to be closer.