PDA

View Full Version : Trade talks in progress? Rumors only - Nate Robinson for Sergio Rodriguez

blackjack_119
01-14-2009, 04:30 PM
It was just reported on 95.5 The Game in Portland... trying to find a confirmation. I don't understand why the Knicks would consider this trade unless they are looking to save more money for 2010 and will not pay Robinson as a RFA. Sergio Rodriguez is a pass first PG who could thrive in a Mike D'Antoni system. He currently leads the league in assists off the bench and is signed through 2010.

I will update when further confirmation comes out.

ink
01-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Nate for Sergio? There are unconfirmed reports out there that the Portland Trail Blazers have traded point guard Sergio Rodriguez to New York for point guard Nate Robinson. This was reported by 95.5 The Game in Portland - owned by Paul Allen, owner of the Blazers. HOOPSWORLD is checking contacts in Portland and New York and will update as needed.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11222

Hoopsworld is a bit of a dubious source, but this is the best there is so far.

mjt20mik
01-14-2009, 04:35 PM
UPDATE - an hour later: Sources from within both the Blazers and Knicks are calling this just talk and that there is no truth to this.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11222

Now it's being reported as just speculation.

NYstateofMinD
01-14-2009, 04:42 PM
wow I hate being a Knicks fan....

hotpotato1092
01-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Damn it Donnie I thought you knew what you were doing :mad:. Not only is Nate a good player and great fit in the D'antoni offense, but he's an absolute fan favorite at the garden, third only to David Lee and King James (even as a road player). What's next? David Lee for a 2011 2nd rounder just to save cap space for 2010? Unbelievable, just unbelievable.

ink
01-14-2009, 04:48 PM
wow I hate being a Knicks fan....

Damn it Donnie I thought you knew what you were doing :mad:. Not only is Nate a good player and great fit in the D'antoni offense, but he's an absolute fan favorite at the garden, third only to David Lee and King James (even as a road player). What's next? David Lee for a 2011 2nd rounder just to save cap space for 2010? Unbelievable, just unbelievable.

Nothing confirmed yet right? And besides, Rodriquez is a pretty nice addition if it were to go down.

UK Bull
01-14-2009, 04:50 PM
No way why would they do this? just to save some $ why??

Missing56&33
01-14-2009, 04:53 PM
no truth to that at all. I would appreciate it if could not post a fake trade. i seemed like it had already happened. cmon man us knick fans are on edge already :)

JordansBulls
01-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Seems like a fair deal.

TMAC94
01-14-2009, 04:55 PM
is this a done deal?

Sixerlover
01-14-2009, 04:55 PM
It's not a real deal, unconfirmed. And even if it happened, Sergio is a good PG off the bench.

NYstateofMinD
01-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Sergio is nice but Nate is way more talented and fits perfect in this system. He is also a fan favorite. I don't like this trade at all.

superkegger
01-14-2009, 05:15 PM
I think I'd like the trade for the knicks were it a confirmed deal. Sergio seems like he could fit really well in D'Antoni's offense. I mean, a lot of people have raved about what a player sergio could be, and I think in D'antoni's offense would be the fit for him...:shrug:

_Sn1P3r_
01-14-2009, 05:19 PM
I think Sergio could do well in D'Anotni's system and Nate+Outlaw off the bench would be pretty sick.

Sport
01-14-2009, 05:20 PM
If it were to go down, I hate this trade for the Knicks. I thought Nate Robinson was the second coming of jesus in New York?

colinskik
01-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Why Nate when there are so many scrubs on the Knicks?

MickeyMgl
01-14-2009, 05:26 PM
It was just reported on 95.5 The Game in Portland... trying to find a confirmation. I don't understand why the Knicks would consider this trade unless they are looking to save more money for 2010 and will not pay Robinson as a RFA. Sergio Rodriguez is a pass first PG who could thrive in a Mike D'Antoni system. He currently leads the league in assists off the bench and is signed through 2010.

He'll be winning multiple MVP awards before you know it.

Tony_Starks
01-14-2009, 05:27 PM
If this trade is legit I think the Knicks actually get the better of the deal. Sergio is more versatile than Nate. Nate's basically a streaky shooter and volume scorer but when his shot isn't falling he doesn't offer much. Portland isn't really utilizing Sergio that well (remember he wanted to be traded earlier this season) but they do have a crowded backcourt.

LA_Raiders
01-14-2009, 05:28 PM
wow, Nate is the 2nd best player on the team....bad trade NY...

kidfury
01-14-2009, 05:31 PM
why would Portland need Nate?

NYKnickFanatic
01-14-2009, 05:32 PM
I love Nate, and I really want Sergio.
So I wouldnt mind this.
I like the Blazers and wouldnt mind seeing Nate on a winning team.
And Nate and Roy are really good friends.

DrDEADalready
01-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Doesnt sergio suck?

Ansy
01-14-2009, 05:35 PM
If the Knicks said yes it would clearly just be to save money, but how much is Nate going to make? 6-7mil/year? Would that ruin the Knicks' chance of signing two max contracts in 2010?

Maybe if they lose Nate they can afford to keep Lee and still sign 2 max contracts? I don't know their financial situation so I'm just guessing but it has to be about money.

MrBloop
01-14-2009, 05:37 PM
If it were to go down, I hate this trade for the Knicks. I thought Nate Robinson was the second coming of jesus in New York?

:eyebrow:wait what? not quite.

1978JETS
01-14-2009, 05:38 PM
As a knicks fan I like the deal

infamous
01-14-2009, 05:46 PM
I already love the Blazers, if they will get Nate, then I would love them more! :D Replace Blake and put Nate in the starting lineup and Portland will be a dangerous team come playoffs! :clap:

KnicksorBust
01-14-2009, 05:46 PM
wow, Nate is the 2nd best player on the team....bad trade NY...

i hate when people have no clue what they're talking about and put their two cents in.

natedoga92
01-14-2009, 05:49 PM
good trade for the knicks he could he better than duhon

blackjack_119
01-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the updated thread title to whom ever adjusted it. I apologize for the misinformation. I had heard that it was a done deal.

cheetos185
01-14-2009, 06:25 PM
This would be a good trade for both team who know sergio could be future PG for the knicks besides i'm not so high on n8 anymore after watching his last 12+ game performance

12loser12
01-14-2009, 07:48 PM
what's the big difference between nate rob and rudy fernandez tho for the blazers?

HOZ THE KNICK
01-14-2009, 08:02 PM
a draft pick have to come back in this one.

Tblaze
01-14-2009, 08:20 PM

I think a 2nd rounder wouldn't be that big of a deal, believe we have quite a few next draft..

Hellcrooner
01-15-2009, 03:53 AM
since when is a good idea to have a 5,9 starting point guard in the nba if you want to contend? Nate is good but if you want to have a serious shot at something he cant be your starter.

I like it from Knicks perspective and do not understand it from Blazers.

I wish it could be a more complete trade and take Sergio and Rudy to the Big apple and Nate and Lee to Portland.

I think thats balanced, saves cap for the Knicks and gives solid rebounder for the bench to Blazers.

Tblaze
01-15-2009, 08:23 AM
since when is a good idea to have a 5,9 starting point guard in the nba if you want to contend? Nate is good but if you want to have a serious shot at something he cant be your starter.

I wish it could be a more complete trade and take Sergio and Rudy to the Big apple and Nate and Lee to Portland.

I think thats balanced, saves cap for the Knicks and gives solid rebounder for the bench to Blazers.

I don't think he'd be our starting pg.

And no, I rather keep Rudy then trade him for Lee.

rhymeratic
01-15-2009, 10:21 AM
The way Nate's been playing of late makes you think something was said to him about his status with the Knicks. Remember we do have a sensitive/somewhat immature player at times. Wouldn't be shocking to me. My guess at this point he does get dealt unfortunately. More than likely the Knicks are putting feelers out there to judge who has the better value between Lee and Nate and based on the offers they get, try to see how much they can fleece another team for one of them.

joeboow90
01-15-2009, 10:29 AM
the knicks should trade nate and maybe a 2nd rounder for Rudy fernandez and a 1st rounder..

blackjack_119
01-15-2009, 10:34 AM
the knicks should trade nate and maybe a 2nd rounder for Rudy fernandez and a 1st rounder.. You either really overestimate Nate Robinson's value or really under estimate Rudy Fernandez's value. Portland would never consider even a straight up trade of Fernandez for Robinson... never.

blackjack_119
01-15-2009, 10:40 AM
what's the big difference between nate rob and rudy fernandez tho for the blazers?

Fernandez is younger, more talented, a better shooter with a better contract, his size makes him a natural shooting guard rather than a ridiculously undersized shooting guard. He moves much better without the ball, fits in with the second unit much better and swapping Fernandez for Rudy would deny the Blazers their favorite unit: Aldridge (C) Outlaw (PF) Roy (SF) Fernandez (SG) Blake (PG) That unit is already undersized... but a good scoring unit. You couldn't bring in N8... that would be too undersized.

HOZ THE KNICK
01-15-2009, 10:45 AM
I think a 2nd rounder wouldn't be that big of a deal, believe we have quite a few next draft..
you guys are loaded with picks

HOZ THE KNICK
01-15-2009, 10:48 AM
You either really overestimate Nate Robinson's value or really under estimate Rudy Fernandez's value. Portland would never consider even a straight up trade of Fernandez for Robinson... never.
i have to agree with you but i would do a straight up trade nate for bayless since you guys don't use him much.

blackjack_119
01-15-2009, 10:50 AM

Congratulations! I think that that was the 1,000th post where you effectively said that every Spanish player in the NBA should start... and any that are currently role players should be traded to a team where they can start. Portland has Rudy Fernandez under contract for 4 years at $1.5M/yr... he is going nowhere! And the Blazers will likely match what ever offer he receives as a RFA.

blackjack_119
01-15-2009, 10:55 AM
i have to agree with you but i would do a straight up trade nate for bayless since you guys don't use him much.

Now that Steve Blake is out with a Grade 1 should separation, Jerryd Bayless is our Starting PG... granted his 1-11 performance yesterday was quite underwhelming, but he will get plenty of playing time. Portland doesn't play Bayless much, though they are quite aware of his potential.

I honestly think the only deal for Nate with Portland would be for Sergio (and maybe two of our five 2nd rounders in the upcoming draft)

sturge
01-15-2009, 10:57 AM

Too right, Straight up this is a horrible deal for us

DitchDat
01-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Nate was thought of as the new face of the Knicks, but lately he has become disposable. Harrington is now the first guy off the bench.

12loser12
01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Fernandez is younger, more talented, a better shooter with a better contract, his size makes him a natural shooting guard rather than a ridiculously undersized shooting guard. He moves much better without the ball, fits in with the second unit much better and swapping Fernandez for Rudy would deny the Blazers their favorite unit: Aldridge (C) Outlaw (PF) Roy (SF) Fernandez (SG) Blake (PG) That unit is already undersized... but a good scoring unit. You couldn't bring in N8... that would be too undersized.

That was kinda my point. I didn't see why the Blazers would want Nate when they've already got Rudy there

Weezy
01-15-2009, 12:30 PM

Yea since it might be in talks still it would be Sergio and picks for Robinson. I would not mind that deal as a Knicks fan.

Tblaze
01-15-2009, 01:17 PM
That was kinda my point. I didn't see why the Blazers would want Nate when they've already got Rudy there

I agree, the only reason I can think of is that they want Sergio's contract off the books so they can let Nate expire, or possibly include in another deal to land an all-star caliber player... However, if they want an expiring in return, I don't really see why it has to be Nate. He's more valueble being a player then being an expiring.

So basicly, the most logical reason for me would be that they think Nate has more trade value to other teams around the league then Sergio (as Sergio would fit NY very well). So if they trade for Nate, they can put him in a deal for a bigger (as in better) player instead of Sergio. Cause I do think Nate has more value...

IndyRealist
01-15-2009, 01:24 PM
If the Knicks said yes it would clearly just be to save money, but how much is Nate going to make? 6-7mil/year? Would that ruin the Knicks' chance of signing two max contracts in 2010?

Maybe if they lose Nate they can afford to keep Lee and still sign 2 max contracts? I don't know their financial situation so I'm just guessing but it has to be about money.

:clap:

The problem is that Nate's playing too well, for two reasons.

One, when his contract extension comes up he's going to command more money than the Knicks want to pay. They definitely want to retain David Lee, and they want two max contract players in 2010. As of right now, in 2010 they will have Eddy Curry, Danilo Galinari, Jared Jeffries, and Wilson Chandler for $18M. David Lee will command anywhere from $7-12M/year, depending on the 2009 market, so you'd be looking at a minimum of $25M and a max of $30M. Each max contract player will command $18M, so two plus the Knicks' current obligations would amount to $66M. They can't afford to pay Nate $7M or so a year, when they still have to figure out how to get rid of Jeffries and Curry.

Two, with Nate playing well, they're winning games. If they're winning games, they're in worse draft position in the offseason. Would you rather have Robinson for $7M/year, or a #1 pick for $4M/year?

I really think NYK fans just need to suck it up. You're going to be bad this year. You're going to be bad next year. Your management's aiming for 2010, you can't win right now and have a chance at Lebron. Yeah, the next two years are going to be pretty low, but at least management's got a plan and they're sticking with it. You'll feel much better in the fall of 2010 when the Knicks are fielding Joe Johnson, Wilson Chandler, David Lee, and Amare Stoudamire as their starting lineup with two high lottery picks to boot.

Sixerlover
01-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Lee will see much more than 7 mil a year when contract time comes up. With the current big man market, he'll probably get a 1st year salary of about 11 mil with a rising contract from the Knicks. They'd rather do that then let him sign the QO and watch him walk in 2010.

Which is how his agent will play that.

rhymeratic
01-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Pretty much Knicks have to weigh which is easier.. trading Curry and getting cap relief or trading Robinson or Lee and getting better pieces that fit long-term...

J-Relo
01-15-2009, 03:41 PM
NAte is playing good this season won't make this trade...

IndyRealist
01-15-2009, 08:08 PM
NAte is playing good this season won't make this trade...

Plenty of logical reasons have been stated in this thread why they might trade Nate, including that he's playing TOO well. Zach Randolf was easily their best player this year and he got traded. Jamal Crawford was their best scoring option and he got traded. Playing well on the Knicks is no protection from being traded.

Cavs_Fan24
01-15-2009, 08:43 PM
I think it would be a pretty good trade for both teams.