PDA

View Full Version : O's going after Wigginton

bmurphy28
01-14-2009, 02:57 PM
The Baltimore Sun reports that Ty Wigginton is at the top of the Orioles' wish list.

However, the newspaper notes that Wigginton is seeking a multi-year deal and the team "would prefer a one-year contract." Wigginton is a solid bat, especially against left-handed pitching, and the Orioles would get the added bonus of not having to give him much action on defense

rotoworld

bmurphy28
01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
i am all for this

rkelly7
01-14-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm down, but the contract needs to be 2 years at about 8 million, with a club option for a third year

we can't go out spending more than that on a guy who will only hit lefties

and he would be another great utility guy, we already have Freel and Gomez, so we could give our position starters some much needed rest in 2009

Brendan
01-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Can he play 1B? That would be awesome...

thegreatone08
01-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Would rather have him and Huff sharing time at first instead of Sexson full time.

Brendan
01-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Yeah i would much rather have Wiggington then Sexson. I really like Wiggington and think he would be a great addition to the middle of our lineup

bigity b
01-15-2009, 11:06 AM
buzz word of the offseason: flexibility. see: flexibility in position to play and contract to receive.

bshone
01-15-2009, 11:20 AM
buzz word of the offseason: flexibility. see: flexibility in position to play and contract to receive.

Yes. And this is a different approach than previous front office folks. While we're waiting for the farm to develop, I'm alright with increased flexibility.

That way when the perfect free agent is available, we will have the funds to snag him.

bigity b
01-15-2009, 11:58 AM
^^ exactly. When a top FA becomes available, we can jump on them without creating roster issues. It also gives us a better bench which in turn gives us a better on-filed product (starters get more rest, are pushed to perform better, are made better professionals, etc). Plus, the more flexible the player and contract, the easier it is to include them in a trade mid-season when other teams come knocking. I love this approach and I have a man-crush on McPhail.

Brendan
01-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Wiggington will be an everyday starter though

Does anyone else want us to resign Milar to a cheap deal? Not even as a starter but i think he is a GREAT clubhouse guy...

bigity b
01-15-2009, 06:54 PM
I think he's a good clubhouse guy too (and he wants to come back!) but is there a roster spot for him? Assume we sign wigginton with all the other guys we added, where would he fit? Can we sign him as a junior bench coach?

Brendan
01-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Ha i just want him back in the clubhouse

sboy2012
01-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Ha i just want him back in the clubhouse

This has nothing to do with this topic, but I have to ask you about your sig brendan. What is Taylor swift standing in front of/in. Is that hair?

Brendan
01-16-2009, 06:31 PM
I dont know but anything with Taylor Swift is sexy as hell. She could be in jello and it would still be ****in sexy

3OTNumber1
01-21-2009, 05:18 PM
He could be good. It's a good idea, now it's time to sign someone that will actually make a difference.

vetoedbyangelos
01-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Any news on this front? I can't help but feel like if the Orioles sign Wigginton they might try to trade Aubrey Huff for prospects - especially if he gets off to a good start. Wigginton, like Freel, opens up possibilities for MacPhail - and I don't think it's by accident. I think he's gearing up to make a couple more trades...and soon.

Huff isn't a stop-gap player, but Wigginton is. Signing him to a one or two year deal, especially if you're banking on adding prospects and dropping veterans, makes a lot of sense. Huff's value is going to go through the roof if he has another big year, and I don't think the Orioles are prepared to commit to a DH/corner infielder who is a defensive liability and streak hitter (no matter how good he is when he gets hot).

bigity b
01-22-2009, 06:07 PM
^^amen, my thoughts too.

tymonic1
02-09-2009, 02:30 AM
huff deal would scare me

josquad
02-09-2009, 06:06 PM
failed physical?