PDA

View Full Version : NBA Salary Cap

davg31
01-14-2009, 08:17 AM
I was just looking at the caps and noticed that the Lakers and the Celtics are $22M and $23M over the cap.

Im not a great follower of the NBA so how can they be allowed to go so far over the cap? Are there any penalties for this? Whats the point in a cap if teams go over it?

Jamaal60
01-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Teams can re-sign their players even if they are over the salary. You can also sign players for the mid-level exception.

However if your payroll is over a certain amount of money you have to pay $1 for every day $ over the limit.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q16

GunFactor187
01-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Can somebody please clarify the Luxury Tax, I don't get it at ALL.

JordansBulls
01-14-2009, 06:14 PM
I was just looking at the caps and noticed that the Lakers and the Celtics are $22M and $23M over the cap.

Im not a great follower of the NBA so how can they be allowed to go so far over the cap? Are there any penalties for this? Whats the point in a cap if teams go over it?

I think you pay $1 per every dollar you are over. So if the luxury tax is 71.15 and you are at 93 million then you pay ~ 22 million .

Kyben36
01-14-2009, 07:50 PM
First. Bird Rights give you the right to sign a player when you are over cap. To have Bird Rights you must have had a player on your team for I think at least 3 monthes( dont Quote me) So The lakers Had Signed a few of their player, such as Kwame Brown. Traded him and now they have Gasols contract. Plus, they just gave Bynum big money as well. You can also sign a player to a Mid level exception. Thats aproximatly 5.4 MIl a year. Cant get much with that.

bleedprple&gold
01-14-2009, 07:56 PM
You have to have a player for several years (at least 3 I believe) to get Bird rights

Frrrrank!!!
01-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Not sure about the whole luxury tax situation. but if a player is on one team for 3 years they then have bird rights which allows that team to resign that player even if it puts them over the cap.

cmellofan15
01-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Salary cap is used to keep the Knicks from ever being good again.

Sixerlover
01-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Bird rights had a lot to do with teams going so far over the cap. But the league couldn't have teams getting outbid for their best players every year.

davg31
01-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Is there much point in having a cap if teams break it? I know from what im reading it allows teams to keep their best players but look at the NFL. Its so competative due to the cap being used properly. Teams like the Lakers are always going to be in the top 5 teams of the league with the current rules.