PDA

View Full Version : McHale was going to keep Chalmers if...

Mauersota
01-14-2009, 12:33 AM
http://www.real gm.com/src_wiretap_archives/56570/20090113/wolves_would_have_kept_chalmers_if_memphis_agreed_ to_love_trade_sooner/

There is a space in the url.

Oh well I won't complain to much since Chalmers would of become a backup sooner or later for us. But I do wish we would of gotten him.

boeknows
01-15-2009, 12:48 AM
Yeah i heard the announcers talk about it the other night that the team was pissed when Chalmers fell to them for their pick since they had already traded the pick earlier in the day.

_Supreme_
01-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Well if you know everything in advance you could travel the world with only a dime in your pocket.

And Chalmers is better than everyone you currently have at PG (counting Foye as a SG), so no he wouldn't have become a backup for you sooner or later. Nice way to try and make yourself feel better though :D

Hawkeye15
01-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Well if you know everything in advance you could travel the world with only a dime in your pocket.

And Chalmers is better than everyone you currently have at PG (counting Foye as a SG), so no he wouldn't have become a backup for you sooner or later. Nice way to try and make yourself feel better though :D

Chalmers is not better than Foye bro. Sorry. But yes, it would have been nice to just hold onto him vs the thought of bringing in a vet point guard. But we thought we had Mayo, who could double as a point, and still had Jaric, Foye and Telfair. Made sense at the time

_Supreme_
01-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Chalmers is not better than Foye bro. Sorry.

And where did I say that Chalmers is better than Foye?

Actually reading my post would be nice too you know :rolleyes: :laugh2:

WSU Tony
01-15-2009, 11:38 AM

If you knew our team you'd know that Foye has played half of our games as PG, Chalmers isn't as good as Foye.

Chalmers won't take a team to a championship so yes, he'll turn into a backup.

Your comments trying to get a rise out of us in this section are getting really irritating.

_Supreme_
01-15-2009, 12:13 PM
If you knew our team you'd know that Foye has played half of our games as PG, Chalmers isn't as good as Foye.

Chalmers won't take a team to a championship so yes, he'll turn into a backup.

Your comments trying to get a rise out of us in this section are getting really irritating.

First of all I specifically said I counted Foye as a SG, since that is where he has been playing so well. As a Wolves fan I assume you know the attention the media gave to the Foye PG or SG issue a month or so ago. I have Foye on several fantasy teams, and when he started at PG he did significantly worse than when he plays SG, where he is doing great.

Chalmers is only a rookie and he has been doing a lot better than expected already. Some games even great. Will he be a star player in the NBA? Who knows? Probably not. Can he be an excellent starter and complementary player to the star player(s) on a team. Definitely. So to say he won't take a team to a championship is rather silly.

And if you interpretate my comments as meant to get a rise out of people then that is your problem, because that is not the case at all. Maybe try to get irritated less easily? It makes life easier for you ;)

WSU Tony
01-15-2009, 12:22 PM
And if you interpretate my comments as meant to get a rise out of people then that is your problem, because that is not the case at all. Maybe try to get irritated less easily? It makes life easier for you ;)

I'll quote you on them since you clearly don't understand what I'm talking about.

Nice way to try and make yourself feel better though :D

Actually reading my post would be nice too you know :rolleyes: :laugh2:

You call yourself a Wolves fan yet these are the first posts of yours I've seen in the WOlves section.

_Supreme_
01-15-2009, 12:26 PM
I'll quote you on them since you clearly don't understand what I'm talking about.

You call yourself a Wolves fan yet these are the first posts of yours I've seen in the WOlves section.

Did you see the big smiley at the end of the post you quoted?

And where did I call myself a Wolves fan :confused: :eyebrow:

WSU Tony
01-15-2009, 12:42 PM
And Chalmers is better than everyone you currently have at PG (counting Foye as a SG), so no he wouldn't have become a backup for you sooner or later.

Per 36 Chalmers has 10 pts and 5 assists

Per 36 Telfair has 7 pts and 4 assists

per 36 Foye has 16 pts and 5 assists

Considering Foye has started a majority of our games at PG he is very much a PG. I agree he plays better at SG but regardless, if he's played more games at the point, we have to include him as a PG. One main reason Foye is being transitioned back to the SG is because of Millers struggles. If Miller was lighting it up, Foye would continue his PG duties. At this point, Foye has many more games at the point so we have to include him in that category.

You could make an argument also that Telfair has done just as good as Chalmers considering who Chalmers has to work with. Wade.... Marion.... Beasley.... Who does Telfair have to work with? Big Al? A struggling Miller? Foye?

Who would Rondo be without KG, Allen, and Pierce? My guess would be a Telfair/Chalmers type player.

_Supreme_
01-15-2009, 01:07 PM
The way you say that you almost make it seem like Foye and Al are scrubs. If you want we can send you Marion for Al? :D

For the Wolves Gomes is getting underrated Imo, and Carney and Love have been playing very well also lately. And all of them are young, so your team will be fine in upcoming years.

My main point was that Chalmers is only a rookie, and that he has had many games where he has been great already. His defense and his on-court intensity to compete have been remarkable during those games (along with decent scoring), and that is what you need in a player regardless of who he plays with. It's also usually a sign for the future. His game will only grow and he will likely become a very solid role player and complementary player to the stars/bigger scorers on a team.

I think one or two years from now, or maybe even currently already, a Chalmers/Foye guard combo would be much better than Telfair/Foye or Foye/Miller, but it's alright to disagree with that of course.

WSU Tony
01-15-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't think Miller or Telfair are in the future plans. I'm confident we'll draft a PG or SG with one of our 3 or 4 first round picks. That being said, it makes Miller expendable though a trade to help move another pick up the list a few spots. Holiday, Harden, DeRozan or Jennings are top on the list with our top 5-6 pick. If we do manage to get Thabeet with that pick it might be wise to bundle our Utah and Celtics picks along with Miller to grab DeRozan. With our Miami pick in the 15-28 range we might be able to snag Curry or a SF.

Thabeet/Harden, DeRozan, and Curry would be a great draft.

Aminu/James, Jennings/Holiday, DeRozan would be a great draft as well.

This would be depending on being able to trade McCants, Miller, or others to move up of course.

Hawkeye15
01-15-2009, 02:10 PM
The way you say that you almost make it seem like Foye and Al are scrubs. If you want we can send you Marion for Al? :D

For the Wolves Gomes is getting underrated Imo, and Carney and Love have been playing very well also lately. And all of them are young, so your team will be fine in upcoming years.

My main point was that Chalmers is only a rookie, and that he has had many games where he has been great already. His defense and his on-court intensity to compete have been remarkable during those games (along with decent scoring), and that is what you need in a player regardless of who he plays with. It's also usually a sign for the future. His game will only grow and he will likely become a very solid role player and complementary player to the stars/bigger scorers on a team.

I think one or two years from now, or maybe even currently already, a Chalmers/Foye guard combo would be much better than Telfair/Foye or Foye/Miller, but it's alright to disagree with that of course.

Of course Chalmers/Foye would be better than what we have. Miller may hang around, but he isn't in the long term plans. The Wolves will look a lot different in 2 years with all the picks and contracts coming off the books. And you seem to put a smart *** comment at the end of your posts, on a team blog that you don't like. Go back to the Magic or whatever the hell team you want if all you are going to do is criticize the team and the posters.

PurpleJesus
01-16-2009, 12:47 AM
is chalmers really that much better than telfair? telfair in 23 mpg has 7 points per and 4 assts per,

Chalmers in 31 mpg, has 9 points per, and 4 assists per.

Chalmers has started every game this year, telfair has only started nine. This post isnt to show how good telfair is, but rather to show that Chalmers isnt all that great.

Preuss-is-right
01-17-2009, 01:12 AM
I'd rather have Telfair. Sorry :shrug:

PurpleJesus
01-17-2009, 03:33 AM
I'd rather have Telfair. Sorry :shrug:

agreed, chalmers woulda been nice to get in the second round, but really, he isnt much better than telfair

IowaAJ
01-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I think the difference between Telfair and Chalmers is Chalmers is a very good defender and Telfair is not so he would of helped us. Telfair has started to shoot the ball better so I think he is starting to become a good point guard.

Mauersota
01-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Chalmers>Telfair especially on this team.

Hawkeye15
01-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Chalmers is going to be much better than Telfair. I was not happy when they traded him, but understood it since we had Mayo, Foye, Telfair, Jaric, at the time. McHale even said he wouldn't have made the deal after the trade, but whatever. Chalmers is a good defender, and will be a decent offensive starter.

WSU Tony
01-17-2009, 08:40 PM
As long as Chalmers wasn't going to be our PG of the future, I don't care if he's better than Telfair.

PG is not a positon you 'settle' for, ya know?

PurpleJesus
01-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Chalmers is going to be much better than Telfair. I was not happy when they traded him, but understood it since we had Mayo, Foye, Telfair, Jaric, at the time. McHale even said he wouldn't have made the deal after the trade, but whatever. Chalmers is a good defender, and will be a decent offensive starter.

we didnt trade him, the pick that miami took him with was traded to miami during the first round...thats what i heard from the wolves announcers at least during the heat game.

Hawkeye15
01-18-2009, 12:16 AM
we didnt trade him, the pick that miami took him with was traded to miami during the first round...thats what i heard from the wolves announcers at least during the heat game.

no, they traded him. The Wolves drafted him, then traded him for a future pick. But they did so under the assumption that they had Mayo, Foye, Telfair, Jaric, etc.

PurpleJesus
01-18-2009, 01:58 AM
no, they traded him. The Wolves drafted him, then traded him for a future pick. But they did so under the assumption that they had Mayo, Foye, Telfair, Jaric, etc.

nah, read the article that the original poster had, they traded the pick at the end of the first round. I think they were refering to how chalmers was available when the wolves were picking first in the second round and took Pekovic, they decided to draft pekovic, then got a call from memphis saying they would do the love trade, so they did the trade after the wolves already decided to take Pekovic.

PurpleJesus
01-18-2009, 02:04 AM
actually now, looking around the internet, the wolves did draft chalmers, but from what the article says, it looks like the wolves and heat made a deal, and part of the deal was that the wolves had to take chalmers and trade him to miami.

Maybe the deal was Miami gave us their two second rounders and said you have those two second round picks, but when your current 2nd round pick comes, you have to draft who we tell you to, and then give him to us.