PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Penguins at Philadelphia Flyers

SidTheKid
01-13-2009, 03:46 PM
THE FUNDAMENTALS

Pittsburgh Penguins (20-19-4-44) at Philadelphia Flyers (23-10-9-55)

Where: Wachovia Center
When: Tuesday, January 13 at 7 p.m.
Radio: WXDX Radio, FM 105.9
TV: FSN Pittsburgh, the game will be broadcast in HD, available on Armstrong 179, Atlantic Broadband 782, Citizen 737, Comcast 226/774, DISH 428 and DirecTV 659.
*View FSN's HD Broadcast Schedule here
Season Series: Pittsburgh leads 2-1-0. Pittsburgh is 0-1-0 at Wachovia Center this season with a 6-3 loss Dec. 13. The Penguins won both contests at Mellon Arena this year, each ending in a shootout.

PENGUINS PROJECTED LINES
Forwards
Cooke-Crosby-Malkin
Minard-Staal-Sykora
Kennedy-Talbot-Satan
Bissonnette-Jeffrey-Godard

Defense
Orpik-Whitney
Scuderi-Letang
Gill-Goligoski

Netminder
Fleury

KEYS TO VICTORY
Two-Headed Monster: The Penguins have reunited Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin on a line together. The tandem responded in the previous game with a goal and an assist each. Big players have to make big plays in big games - as the redundant saying goes. It’s about time for Pittsburgh’s two best players to put this team on their backs and carry it out of the recent slump.

Blooming Flower: Crosby and Malkin aren’t the only two players that can carry this team. Marc-Andre Fleury has proven in the past that he can “stand on his head” and will the Penguins to victory. Fleury hasn’t been sharp in the past couple of games, but he’s going to have to be on top of his game against Philadelphia. The Flyers have the fifth-best offense and second-ranked power play in the NHL. If Pittsburgh gets anything short of a stellar performance in net, then their losing stretch will likely reach eight out of nine games.

LOWDOWN ON THE FLYERS

Two years ago Philadelphia had the worst record in the NHL. General Manager Paul Holmgren rebuilt the club by stockpiling young talent and dumping aging veterans. The Flyers were rebuilt from a team of muscle to a team filled with speed and skill. As a result, the Flyers rebounded last season with a 39-point improvement and an appearance in the Eastern Conference Finals in head coach John Stevens first full season on the job.

Philadelphia has been a streaky team this season. They had a shaky start to the season, losing their first six games (0-3-3). They responded with four straight wins, followed by three losses in a row. At that point, Philadelphia caught on fire, losing only once in regulation in its next 17 games (13-1-3). The Flyers have claimed the top spot in the Atlantic Division standings and are currently riding a six-game unbeaten streak (4-0-2) into their matchup with Pittsburgh.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=403731

jzelenda
01-13-2009, 04:37 PM
This game is why Bissonette is back in the line up. God I hope they beat them... They need to fire on all cylinders because this Flyer team is hot, and they REALLY hate Sid. Cross your fingers that Therrian has a battle plan, and they can enforce it...

ShaunRiching9
01-13-2009, 04:54 PM
ill do anything fro a win , im glad malkin is on sids wing

SidTheKid
01-13-2009, 04:59 PM
ill do anything fro a win , im glad malkin is on sids wing

They better come out firing tonight.

jzelenda
01-13-2009, 05:22 PM
and hopefully staal will grow into wing. They need anything.

SidTheKid
01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
1-0 Flyers in the 1st period :pity:

SidTheKid
01-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Tyler Kennedy scores 1-1! :clap:

jzelenda
01-13-2009, 09:13 PM
2-1, should be 2-0 without that weirdly sloppy goal, but being ahead is sweet.

Plus, I was looking what Philly Fans were saying on their site for this game. Apparently Crosby is now gay according to them.

jzelenda
01-13-2009, 09:20 PM
I hate how they boo Crosby. Of course they hate Ovechkin as much. Just because Carter isn't an NHL poster boy...

jzelenda
01-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Staal 3 goals in 3 games after his deal.

Perhaps he found his motivation?

dmb
01-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Staal 3 goals in 3 games after his deal.

Perhaps he found his motivation?
Sid needs a 10 year deal to come back

joba2007
01-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Score still 2-1? Is there an online link to watch the game? I am away from my TV, for another half hour or so.

jzelenda
01-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Sid needs a 10 year deal to come back

ha ha, clever. Whenever a star player isn't playing up to potential, offer more money over a longer time. I like your thinking.:clap::D

jzelenda
01-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Score still 2-1? Is there an online link to watch the game? I am away from my TV, for another half hour or so.

I got to pittsburghpenguins.com and click listen and click on game summary, so I can hear and read the stat sheet. That's how a Nebraskan deals with not paying for Center Ice and not living in Pittsburgh...:(

ShaunRiching9
01-13-2009, 09:36 PM
3-1 pens now goal by staal(14) from satan(15) and Letang(13)

ShaunRiching9
01-13-2009, 09:41 PM
4-1 pens lewts keep this great play going into the 3rd boys

jzelenda
01-13-2009, 09:50 PM
4-1 boyos against a banging Philly squad. Now, HOLD THE LEAD!!!!:clap:

jzelenda
01-13-2009, 10:17 PM
4-2.... hang... on... must... hang... on.......

jzelenda
01-13-2009, 10:31 PM
And the Flyers boards is rampid moreso at Crosby. All around high-fives.

FlyersPhanatic9
01-13-2009, 10:52 PM
I hate how they boo Crosby. Of course they hate Ovechkin as much. Just because Carter isn't an NHL poster boy...

I dont think thats true at all.
As a Flyers fan, I hate Crosby because the NHL front office straddles his dick 24/7 and he gets preferential treatment. I acknowledge that he is great for the game, but as a hardcore fan, I hate him for how he is treated and how he has handled himself against the Flyers. As a Penguins fan, I would give you the advice of not talking for Flyers fans.

Good game though, Therrien had a game plan and they executed it perfectly. Not sure why the Flyers couldnt break through the Penguins makeshift trap when they did fine against the Wild a few nights ago, it obviously speaks alot about the defensive capability of the Penguins forwards, they were solid in the trap tonight. Fluery doesnt look great but it was extremely recognizable as the Penguins limited shots and he pretty much hid behind the trap, which helped him because otherwise he has a shaky outing.

PittBeatWV
01-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Phenomenal performance by the Penguins tonight - and kudos to Therrien for (finally) switching things up and going to the 1-2-2 trap. Philly had a tough time getting through center all night.

Ok, time for a winning streak tomorrow night against the Caps. I'm betting that Geno and Ovechkin drop the gloves tomorrow night. I'm sad I won't be able to watch - I'll be watching the #1 Pitt Panthers play South Florida at the Pete.

FlyersPhanatic9
01-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Phenomenal performance by the Penguins tonight - and kudos to Therrien for (finally) switching things up and going to the 1-2-2 trap. Philly had a tough time getting through center all night.

Ok, time for a winning streak tomorrow night against the Caps. I'm betting that Geno and Ovechkin drop the gloves tomorrow night. I'm sad I won't be able to watch - I'll be watching the #1 Pitt Panthers play South Florida at the Pete.

I doubt that.
Go Pitt!

bartlett2266
01-14-2009, 12:18 AM
As a Flyers fan, I hate Crosby because the NHL front office straddles his dick 24/7 and he gets preferential treatment. I acknowledge that he is great for the game, but as a hardcore fan, I hate him for how he is treated and how he has handled himself against the Flyers. As a Penguins fan, I would give you the advice of not talking for Flyers fans.

Good game though, Therrien had a game plan and they executed it perfectly. Not sure why the Flyers couldnt break through the Penguins makeshift trap when they did fine against the Wild a few nights ago, it obviously speaks alot about the defensive capability of the Penguins forwards, they were solid in the trap tonight. Fluery doesnt look great but it was extremely recognizable as the Penguins limited shots and he pretty much hid behind the trap, which helped him because otherwise he has a shaky outing.

haha sour grapes, i dont blame u he absolutly owns u guys and theres no debating it of coarse they r going to boo because they fear him its almost a sign of respect u care that much about him. its not just because u dont like him because im sure u dont like someone like max talbot but u wouldnt boo him because ur not worried about him ur worried about crosby, so keep it up good for u guys its typical philly attitude. how hes handled himself? the flyers have taken cheap shots at him since hes gotten into the league and it doesnt bother him he speaks on the scoreboard vs the flyers

marty brodeur played behind the trap how did that work out for him. Maybe philly should try it because biron is trash lol

jzelenda
01-14-2009, 01:22 AM

Fair enough.

I myself wish they'd cut back on Crosby in every highlight clip shown, every promo, every time NHL is posted anywhere. So I agree, he's overused, rammed down the public's throat, and with the talent pool of the total NHL, they can easily find other footage. Bettman is trying too hard to expand a sport that not all of America cares about. Especially the NASCAR states.

And for the record, I wish they would expand the face of the NHL passed Crosby and Ovechkin. I'd like to see Carter, Kessel, Steve Mason, Luongo, people like this that have great seasons to be expounded upon. So yeah, I agree to hook a league onto one or two players, very stupid. It's like hearing the same pop song 24/7. Soon you loathe it.

And like I chimed in on the Flyers board, Ovechkin is a maniac when it comes to hitting a star player, like a Jeff Carter, or a Malkin. Hell, that hit where Ovie left his feet to obviously decapitate Carter, only to hit his own teammate, was blatant with intent to injure. What was awesome was the side step Carter used to make Ovie miss and clobber his partner.

You'll no doubt agree that a Flyers - Penguins rivalry is excellent for both team's fans. The animosity, the energy, and the bad blood make for a great game everytime, no matter the players or score.

jzelenda
01-14-2009, 01:27 AM
I doubt that.
Go Pitt!

I agree. Geno would REALLY have to get gouged tomorrow to do something like that. But knowing Ovie, he'll be headhunting like the last few outings.

Lets all relive this little number:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZkPn9kjRFE

I also like this one by Ovie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcghTlirnU

ShaunRiching9
01-14-2009, 08:39 AM
maybe he is just trying to eliminate the competition for the richard, hahaha i love the first videwo

jzelenda
01-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I like this comment from Therrien after the game:

"It's been a long time that we've played such a solid game," Therrien said. "We were solid when we had the puck, we were solid when we didn't have the puck and we got a commitment from everyone."

Now they need to stick with that commitment.

SidTheKid
01-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Great win for us. Saw a lot of hustle and execution out there which hasn't been the norm for this season so far.

FlyersPhanatic9
01-14-2009, 06:46 PM
haha sour grapes, i dont blame u he absolutly owns u guys and theres no debating it of coarse they r going to boo because they fear him its almost a sign of respect u care that much about him. its not just because u dont like him because im sure u dont like someone like max talbot but u wouldnt boo him because ur not worried about him ur worried about crosby, so keep it up good for u guys its typical philly attitude. how hes handled himself? the flyers have taken cheap shots at him since hes gotten into the league and it doesnt bother him he speaks on the scoreboard vs the flyers

marty brodeur played behind the trap how did that work out for him. Maybe philly should try it because biron is trash lol

I dont know where to start with you, and I never do because you have such a closed mind. Take some notes on jzelenda, that is how you continue a conversation, not look like a ******.
First of all I love Max Talbot. I think he is a great player who knows his role and gives it his all almost every night. I have a ton of respect for those guys, which is why my favorite current Flyer is Scottie Upshall, who is much of the same type of player. Would I boo Talbot if he took a shot at one of the star players? Of course I would, and thats my perogative. Second of all, what I mean by Crosby handling himself is this: All star players take cheapshots. You dont think Mario and Gretzky got it from other teams 3rd and 4th liners? They did. Did you see them crying about it like all eyes should be on them. 1st of all, I cant speak for all games, because I have only seen him do this vs. the Flyers. 2nd of all, the refs already give him the benefit of the doubt so he needs to stop *****in.
THAT is how you converse. Also, if you think Marty Biron is trash, I highly doubt you have any knowledge of hockey outside of your closeminded world in your head where only the Penguins are good and you cant respect other players.

jzelenda
01-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Take some notes on jzelenda, that is how you continue a conversation, not look like a ******.

THAT is how you converse. Also, if you think Marty Biron is trash, I highly doubt you have any knowledge of hockey outside of your closeminded world in your head where only the Penguins are good and you cant respect other players.

I'm flattered. :) I pride myself in not be considered a knuckle dragging troll on forums. Which is why I also respect your insights. :clap:

Biron and Nittamaki make a decent tandem goalie team. When one's off, the other seems to be on. Plus they have the support up front to help with a win. Unlike, for example, poor Mike Smith in Tampa Bay, monster in the pipes, no support up front.

I've seen Gretzky ***** from time to time. But did I see him all the time? Nope. I've seen Mario give earfuls, but not constantly. I don't mind Sid barking all the time, I honestly think that's how he sees a leader, a captain run the on ice team. Some yap at players, some are quiet and lead by strong actions, some walk into a locker room and command respect, and some want their team to see them bark at the refs and stand up for them.

Frankly, I see the perfect on ice leader as doing all of the above, depending on the circumstance and what's needed. A balance. I think Gretzky had it, Messier had it, Mario had it. They could do it all. I think in time he'll start to develop the experience to recognize and utilize all of those aspects. Just a young player grasping at straws sometimes.