PDA

View Full Version : Seely & Capers out

bagwell368
01-13-2009, 12:22 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/01/13/capers_and_seely_next_to_go/

Josh McDaniels isn't the only coach leaving the Patriots behind. Both special teams coach Brad Seely and special assistant/secondary coach Dom Capers aren't expected to return to the team in 2009, according to an NFL source.
Discuss
COMMENTS (7)

Seely, 52, has directed the special teams for the last 10 seasons, one of the few holdovers from Pete Carroll's staff. Patriots coach Bill Belichick has annually lauded him as one of the best special teams coaches with whom he's worked.

Meanwhile, Capers will end up spending just one season with the club. Denver-area newspaper reports indicated that Capers, a 23-year NFL veteran, was a candidate to join McDaniels's staff in Denver. McDaniels said yesterday in his introductory press conference that he hadn't spoken with Capers, although that doesn't mean the two couldn't meet up again in the Mile High City.

The same presumably would be true for Seely and McDaniels.

The Seattle Seahawks previously had expressed interest in Seely.

The defections are significant, as Belichick will have to revamp some key areas of his staff.

The Patriots place a heavy emphasis on special teams, whether it's devoting extra practice time to the kicking game, or having top players playing on those units. Under Seely, who just concluded his 20th NFL season, the Patriots had the league's third-ranked kickoff-return unit in 2008. They started, on average, at the 30.5-yard line.

On an individual basis, one of Seely's top accomplishments in New England was helping develop kicker Stephen Gostkowski, who joined the team in a difficult situation, stepping in for the iconic Adam Vinatieri. In just his third season, Gostkowski was named an All-Pro this year.

Part of what made Seely so valuable was his ability to piece together successful special teams units even when the Patriots were struck by a string of injuries.

As for Capers, his hiring was considered a coup when he joined the club in February 2008. Belichick pointed out that it is not often an opportunity arises to hire a two-time NFL head coach. Capers's background with different variations of the 3-4 defense - which the Patriots run - also was considered a positive.

Unlike with Seely, it was a bit more difficult to gauge Capers's impact. The Patriots' secondary struggled for stretches of the 2008 season, although part of that might have been more personnel-based.

Capers is a two-time Pro Football Weekly/Pro Football Writers Association Assistant Coach of the Year.

I think BB should charge these coaches money to come here and learn!!

The Intimidator
01-13-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't see the loss of Capers hurting us too much. He was our secondary coach last season, and to put it nicely, Capers' presence didn't exactly improve the production of our defensive backs. The loss of Seely could really hurt though. Special teams are a HUGE part of the game, and Seely did a fantastic job here. We'll have to see how much this affects the 2009 Patriots...

BTownTeamsRKing
01-13-2009, 04:19 PM
i saw this comming. niether unit did well last year.

Ewagner
01-13-2009, 04:26 PM
there is a report pioli is leaving for KC to :sad2: has there been any report of who is going to replace all these people?

hatch81
01-13-2009, 08:43 PM
They could always bring back Romeo

ERLynx
01-14-2009, 11:36 AM
i really was expecting more from capers this year. granted they dealt with injuries but their pass defense was, with all due respect, often lacking.

Crickr
01-14-2009, 01:11 PM
i really was expecting more from capers this year. granted they dealt with injuries but their pass defense was, with all due respect, often lacking.

I would have said it just plain sucked

The Intimidator
01-14-2009, 03:14 PM
I would have said it just plain sucked

Fair enough. :D

pats_sox_nd
01-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Dude the loss of Seely could hurt but it won't hurt Gostowski, like the Globe reported. Seely doesn't help Gostowski. Steve works on his own and with a private coach. All kickers do, the ST coach doesn't tell or help Gostowski to become a different or better kicker maybe just helps boost his confidence thats about all. Coming from a kicker myself, we teach our selfs we know 10x more about kicking than the ST coach.

thebusnotjerome
01-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Well first off, it's being reported that Scott O'Brien, the special teams coach for the Denver Broncos will be the new New England Patriots special teams coach. But I'm going to just throw this out there but why not put Jeff Jagodzinski on your staff? Or add Mike Shanahan as your Offensive Coordinator?

kazzy4080
01-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Well first off, it's being reported that Scott O'Brien, the special teams coach for the Denver Broncos will be the new New England Patriots special teams coach. But I'm going to just throw this out there but why not put Jeff Jagodzinski on your staff? Or add Mike Shanahan as your Offensive Coordinator?

:drool:
i dont think its realistic but imagine if we got shanahan and romeo for our coordinators next year. two guys who were head coaches last year and have a ton of experience. Especially shanahan who is an offensive mastermind. He could actually make our running game work. Imagine an improved running game and tom brady coming back. we'd be unstoppable... again.

The Intimidator
01-14-2009, 10:24 PM
:drool:
i dont think its realistic but imagine if we got shanahan and romeo for our coordinators next year. two guys who were head coaches last year and have a ton of experience. Especially shanahan who is an offensive mastermind. He could actually make our running game work. Imagine an improved running game and tom brady coming back. we'd be unstoppable... again.

Like you said, it would be fantastic, but pretty unrealistic.