PDA

View Full Version : Fernandez

mattybeingmatty
01-13-2009, 03:21 AM
i am just throwing this out there for discussion, and am not advocating the idea, just curious what people think. do you think there is any chance fernandez could get moved? rask has been called up, and I haven't heard why yet. but chiarelli could be trying to deal. I am in favor of keeping him at this point, but i think most of us agreed at the start of the year that if we could get his stock up, we should deal him. i just don't think anybody expected his stock to raise this much, or for him to be this valuable to us. but if kessel projects to be out long, along with our other injuries up front, do we consider it? if he was available, who might be calling? kings? avalanche? capitals? and what do you think he could fetch? another aspect is that we face the possibility of losing both manny and timmy this offseason. so chiarelli could be interested in getting rask some experience this season, in case we have to hand the starter spot to him next year.

so i ask, what do you guys think?

D-Raw127
01-13-2009, 03:33 AM
i love manny and he has been outstanding for us this year, but it is a business and i think the wise thing would be to move him if things dont start to look better up front

mattybeingmatty
01-13-2009, 04:19 AM
what do think we could get for him? of the teams that could be interested, who would interest us? nylander in washington? cole in edmonton? sullivan in nashville? svatos in colorado? sykora in pitt? any ideas?

The Intimidator
01-13-2009, 11:32 AM
I think that if Tuukka impresses the Bruins in a few games, they will seriously consider trading Manny. He's 14-3-1 with a 2.07 GAA and a .928 Save Percentage. Those are #1 goalie numbers. I believe that the Bruins feel as if they can get something really good for him. Whether they are looking for a player who can make an immediate impact or a top prospect is unknown, but what is known is that the ball is in our court in this case. If a team is reluctant to give us what we want, we keep Manny and enjoy the numbers he puts up.

beantownboy
01-13-2009, 02:15 PM
I think we should keep him. I was saying at the beginning of the season we give him games raise his value and trade him but that was before Kessel, savard, Wheeler, Krejci, and Ryder were putting up points on cue. I thought we needed a goal scorer for Fernandez and i really wanted Kovalchuck. I would rather keep Manny but if the trade would make us that much better then I don't know. I still would would trade for Kovalchuck. I wouldnt trade him away for sykora, svatos, nylander, cole, or any of those mediocre guys. If we are going to trade away Manny we should go after a stud and role player. Manny, Axe, Bergeron, Prospect(Lashoff Hamill Colborne), Pick, for Kovalchuck and Armstrong.

kovalchuck savard kessel
wheeler krejci ryder
Lucic Armstrong Kobasew
Sobotka Yelle Thornton
Karsums St. Pierre Bitz (5th line)

Chara Widemen
Ference Ward
Hunwick Stuart
Hnidy

Thomas/ Rask

The salary should work since we'd lose Manny's 4.5 million, Bergerons 4.5, Axe's 2, and Sturms 4 to IR.

dmb
01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Manny has been among the best backups, reminds me of having Huet/Habby combo

celticpride07
01-13-2009, 03:22 PM
we should trade for kovalchuk if we want to win the cup this year..so far so good but right now we have too many injuries..

Shaiza
01-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Manny being traded seems likely at this point, but Chiarelli will shop him around to hear some offers. If you look at the standings for both conferences, the road to the playoffs will be very tight this year. So we can see teams in need of a goalie take a shot at Manny. Now keep in mind, I don't believe he will be a straight up starter, he'll have to share the load like he is doing now. Atlanta is not a possibility for Manny at this point.
I see potential trading partners as Phoenix, Colorado, Toronto, and possibly Tampa Bay.

Shaiza
01-13-2009, 03:32 PM
what do think we could get for him? of the teams that could be interested, who would interest us? nylander in washington? cole in edmonton? sullivan in nashville? svatos in colorado? sykora in pitt? any ideas?

Don't expect names like this to come out of a Manny deal.
Nylander's contract scares me. Sullivan looked pretty bad the other night on his first game back from a possible career threatening injury. Svatos is sort of a reach, and Sykora isn't going anywhere.
Nashville is also a team I forgot to mention.

Frrrrank!!!
01-13-2009, 04:53 PM
My dream trade....Manny for Tkachuk:drool:

mattybeingmatty
01-13-2009, 05:41 PM
I think we should keep him. I was saying at the beginning of the season we give him games raise his value and trade him but that was before Kessel, savard, Wheeler, Krejci, and Ryder were putting up points on cue. I thought we needed a goal scorer for Fernandez and i really wanted Kovalchuck. I would rather keep Manny but if the trade would make us that much better then I don't know. I still would would trade for Kovalchuck. I wouldnt trade him away for sykora, svatos, nylander, cole, or any of those mediocre guys. If we are going to trade away Manny we should go after a stud and role player. Manny, Axe, Bergeron, Prospect(Lashoff Hamill Colborne), Pick, for Kovalchuck and Armstrong.

kovalchuck savard kessel
wheeler krejci ryder
Lucic Armstrong Kobasew
Sobotka Yelle Thornton
Karsums St. Pierre Bitz (5th line)

Chara Widemen
Ference Ward
Hunwick Stuart
Hnidy

Thomas/ Rask

The salary should work since we'd lose Manny's 4.5 million, Bergerons 4.5, Axe's 2, and Sturms 4 to IR..

no way atlanta has any interest in manny or axe. if you want kovalchuk, think something like stuart, lashoff, hamill, colborne and a 1st.

Don't expect names like this to come out of a Manny deal.
Nylander's contract scares me. Sullivan looked pretty bad the other night on his first game back from a possible career threatening injury. Svatos is sort of a reach, and Sykora isn't going anywhere.
Nashville is also a team I forgot to mention.

yeah you're right about nylander. i thought he only had one year left, but he has two. definitely not a good idea. i was just throwing names out there, but you have been quick to shoot them all down. care to make any suggestions?
give sullivan a little time, if he looks alright, than that trade could make a lot of sense. cole? kozlov?

Shaiza
01-13-2009, 06:58 PM
no way atlanta has any interest in manny or axe. if you want kovalchuk, think something like stuart, lashoff, hamill, colborne and a 1st.

yeah you're right about nylander. i thought he only had one year left, but he has two. definitely not a good idea. i was just throwing names out there, but you have been quick to shoot them all down. care to make any suggestions?
give sullivan a little time, if he looks alright, than that trade could make a lot of sense. cole? kozlov?

I didn't mean to be an ***. Sorry about that.
Anyway the teams I mentioned are Phoenix, Colorado, Toronto, and possibly Tampa Bay.
I don't want to throw names out there because it might get people's hopes up, but I'll still throw em out.

Phoenix-They could use Manny. Reinprecht would obviously be the starting point of the deal, and I can see a dmen swap along with that. We will see how the cap things work out between them, but expect Reinprecht to be in the deal.
Colorado-Although unlikely, they might ask about Manny. Realistically, Svatos is a possibility, with them adding some expiring salary on for us to take. However, I don't think they need a goalie as bad as the other teams I mentioned does. The B's will obviously ask about JM Liles, a guy we have been drooling over for the last 3 years. But we'll have to see where this one leads.
Toronto-You can feel Brian Burke's itchiness to make a trade. Joseph seems like he is nearing the end of his career, and Toskala seems like yet another goalie bust for the Leafs. Manny Fernandez is a guy they would love to have. Expect names like Antropov, Van Ryn, Kubina, and hell even Kaberle.
Tampa Bay-Mike Smith has been solid all year, but Kolzig has not been. Smith is handling a workload, and he is showing weakness. He misses key saves at critical situations and that could change with a tandem. Ramo is not ready to play yet in the NHL (1 more year imo). Jussi Jokinen's name has been thrown around in the past, with Recchi, Halpern, and Ranger all being a possibility.

I'll thrown in a bonus for y'all.
Blues-I have no evidence that they are actually going after goaltending in the market, but all signs lead to it. Legace and Mason has been playing like crap, and they are not afraid to admit it. They could be looking for long term help on the defensive side, which we have plenty of, to offer anyway. We'll see if names like McDonald, Steen, and Backes get mentioned in any package deal.

mattybeingmatty
01-13-2009, 09:13 PM
I didn't mean to be an ***. Sorry about that.
Anyway the teams I mentioned are Phoenix, Colorado, Toronto, and possibly Tampa Bay.
I don't want to throw names out there because it might get people's hopes up, but I'll still throw em out.

Phoenix-They could use Manny. Reinprecht would obviously be the starting point of the deal, and I can see a dmen swap along with that. We will see how the cap things work out between them, but expect Reinprecht to be in the deal.
Colorado-Although unlikely, they might ask about Manny. Realistically, Svatos is a possibility, with them adding some expiring salary on for us to take. However, I don't think they need a goalie as bad as the other teams I mentioned does. The B's will obviously ask about JM Liles, a guy we have been drooling over for the last 3 years. But we'll have to see where this one leads.
Toronto-You can feel Brian Burke's itchiness to make a trade. Joseph seems like he is nearing the end of his career, and Toskala seems like yet another goalie bust for the Leafs. Manny Fernandez is a guy they would love to have. Expect names like Antropov, Van Ryn, Kubina, and hell even Kaberle.
Tampa Bay-Mike Smith has been solid all year, but Kolzig has not been. Smith is handling a workload, and he is showing weakness. He misses key saves at critical situations and that could change with a tandem. Ramo is not ready to play yet in the NHL (1 more year imo). Jussi Jokinen's name has been thrown around in the past, with Recchi, Halpern, and Ranger all being a possibility.

I'll thrown in a bonus for y'all.
Blues-I have no evidence that they are actually going after goaltending in the market, but all signs lead to it. Legace and Mason has been playing like crap, and they are not afraid to admit it. They could be looking for long term help on the defensive side, which we have plenty of, to offer anyway. We'll see if names like McDonald, Steen, and Backes get mentioned in any package deal.

i wasn't trying to imply you were being an ***, but anyway, it's all good.
i really don't think burke will have any interest in manny, until the offseason, anyway. unless he has aspirations of making the playoffs this season, which i doubt. if anything, he probably has aspirations of slipping as far as possible in the standings, in hopes of a top 2 or 3 draft pick. i could see him having interest in a bergeron or sturm, as they both will be out for a while, but should both be ready to contribute when next season begins.

i would say the same goes for tampa bay and st. louis. why would they be interested in strengthening the goaltending for half a year, when they are not going to the playoffs? manny would only serve to weaken their draft position.

pheonix could show interest, wasn't really thinking of them. reinprecht could be a good fit.

abourne13
01-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Ranger would be a nice addition, I believe. I don't think we'd have to give up tons for him either... but since this is the Manny thread, I'd have to say that I want Manny on the team all the way through the playoffs. Everyone wants him gone. But I say we need him when it comes to the playoffs. Thomas can't do it all and as much as i love Rask and want to see him dominate the NHL, I say next year is his year. Ride Manny and Thomas to the promise land and then work on free agents in the offseason. If we get far in the playoffs it wont be hard convincing people to come to Boston.

YankeeDieHard2
01-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Should trade him to Detroit ...

mattybeingmatty
01-13-2009, 11:28 PM

i was wondering if detroit might have interest. perhaps, but i can't see them offering anything worthwhile, considering conklin has been great, and osgood won it all for them just last season. i would ask for franzen, who is set to be a ufa. we are not trading him for specs or picks, that much is certain, so just not sure what they could offer that they'd be willing to part with.

jeter_swallows8
01-14-2009, 12:34 AM

why would you want to trade him 2 a team we could likley end up playing in the finals (knock on wood) he would come back 2 bite us in the ***.

also i havent really seen tuka play but his numbers in providence dont really impress me

personally i would rather keep fernandez through the playoffs because that is our best chance to win. i would rather have him walk at the end of the season and end up with a cup than have a **** 2nd half and blow what the b's got going. Would you rather have prospects from manny or a cup because i really think he is the reason thomas is so good, not taking anything away from him but they give each other rest and r the best 1-2 punch in the nhl easily.

mattybeingmatty
01-14-2009, 03:24 AM
why would you want to trade him 2 a team we could likley end up playing in the finals (knock on wood) he would come back 2 bite us in the ***.

also i havent really seen tuka play but his numbers in providence dont really impress me

personally i would rather keep fernandez through the playoffs because that is our best chance to win. i would rather have him walk at the end of the season and end up with a cup than have a **** 2nd half and blow what the b's got going. Would you rather have prospects from manny or a cup because i really think he is the reason thomas is so good, not taking anything away from him but they give each other rest and r the best 1-2 punch in the nhl easily.

well, i don't think you base a deal on possibly facing fernandez in the finals. if the deal helps the team, you make it. but like i said, i don't see the two teams
matching up.

i'm still in the "keep manny" camp. mainly because i don't see us getting value, but i would definitely consider him available in the right deal. i don't think anybody is suggesting trading him for specs, at least i'm not. if we deal it's for a key piece to help us in this year's playoffs. preferably another expiring contract, since we're gonna need all the cap space we can get for kessel and krejci.

beantownboy
01-14-2009, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=mattybeingmatty;7982600]no way atlanta has any interest in manny or axe. if you want kovalchuk, think something like stuart, lashoff, hamill, colborne and a 1st.

wrongo. Atlanta parted ways with Hossa and Dupuis for Colby Armstrong, Erik Christenson, Angelo Esposito, and a first round pick. Kovalchuck will not cost us Stuart, lashoff, hamill, colborne, and a first (5 first round picks overall). Hossa is just as good as Kovalchuck, he wont cost that. I see kovalchuck holding out like Gaborik so they should look to move him in case injury loses his value the way it did with gaborik. If they can verbally agree on a contract extention with Manny they will want him. They've given up the most goals in the league and Kari Lehtonan is a bust. They need to get better defensively.

mattybeingmatty
01-14-2009, 07:28 PM
wrongo. Atlanta parted ways with Hossa and Dupuis for Colby Armstrong, Erik Christenson, Angelo Esposito, and a first round pick. Kovalchuck will not cost us Stuart, lashoff, hamill, colborne, and a first (5 first round picks overall). Hossa is just as good as Kovalchuck, he wont cost that. I see kovalchuck holding out like Gaborik so they should look to move him in case injury loses his value the way it did with gaborik. If they can verbally agree on a contract extention with Manny they will want him. They've given up the most goals in the league and Kari Lehtonan is a bust. They need to get better defensively.

okay, take out hamill or colborne. the point that i was trying to make was that manny and axe would not be pieces the thrashers would be interested in. i highly doubt that manny would agree to a new deal w/ atlanta before testing free agency, and give up his chance at a cup run this season. and i would disagree that hossa is as good as kovalchuk, but regardless, kovalchuk is their franchise player. he was just named captain and he will cost more than hossa, guaranteed. and it kind of bugs me when people look at a trade a say, "hey, that's 5 1st rounders, it's too much." just because someone was drafted in the first round does not mean they hold the value of a 1st rounder. lashoff, for example, was drafted 4 years ago and still has not managed to crack this team. he has had ample opportunity w/ our injury woes the past two seasons, but has been passed on the depth chart by hunwick(a 7th rounder). the fact that lashoff was drafted in the 1st round is irrelevant to his current value. hamill was drafted high, but had a decrease of 20 points the following year in everett, and has only managed 12 points in 33 games so far w/ providence. colborne, in his first season with the U. of D. is averaging less than a point per game. and many scouts had him much lower than boston drafted him, so as far as atlanta is concerned, he might have been a 2nd, or even 3rd round talent. the point is, a player's value is based on production and potential, not when he may have been drafted.
now, i'm not saying that i would make the deal i suggested, only that that is the type of deal atlanta will be looking for. if it were all 5, than i'm sure someone else would be coming w/ ilya as well, like a williams or a reasoner.